5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading of the book.
This is a review of the Jim Broadbent recording of the first Winnie the Pooh book. Although it does seem to include the other recordings I have heard, and I expect his version of The House at Pooh Corner would be quite similar.
Published on March 19 2004 by drariadne

2.0 out of 5 stars Same great book in fancy package...
Published on Oct. 10 2001 by emt0402

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading of the book., March 19 2004
Jim Broadbendt does a great job reading us WtP. Anyone who has heard the Charles Kuralt version- this version is 300% better. Jim not only has a sense of of humor, but does a different voice for each character. Two things sorely lacking on the CK versions. Now, for those who have heard the Peter Dennis recordings, well, those are better, there's no getting around that. Peter's piglet cannot be topped and he also does the most wonderful versions of the songs I have ever heard. But alas, those tapes are no longer available and Dennis never recorded the entire book(s). So, I figure Jim is still deserving of the 5 stars.
Broadbent does a wonderful job of bringing out the humor in the stories, something which the Kuralt recordings do not. His Eeyore does sound a bit like Ringo Starr- but, that works rather well now, doesn't it? Pooh, well, he's a bit on the not-so-bright side, but he's cheerful and trustworthy. Piglet does sound timid and sweet. Rabbit, well, he could be a bit more edgey in these. Jim has made Rabbit a bit more sympthetic a character than I envision him. Still, the subtle nuances are not lost, even on children. And, it is nice to have an unabridged version of the story available.
My children just love these cds. Which is nice. It's always good to have something that the entire family enjoys and is still a worthwhile use of time. Especialy something that one can listen to in the car that doesn't bore the pants off the driver and yet amuses the children enough to keep them quiet. I highly recommend this version for anyone who would like to expose their child to the original Pooh stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing Ho for the life of a Pooh, May 17 2003
Unless you were just teleported here from an alternative universe where Walt Disney was a hobo and stayed locked up in jail, never to entertain the world with his many talents, you _had_ to have heard of Winnie the Pooh. This _is_ the A.A.Milne stories with the beautiful Ernest Shepard's illustrations and if you never read this, you are in for a real treat.
The illustrations are gorgeous watercolors. The characters have more dimensions to them and the effect is more subtle. You'll recognize some stories from the Disney movies / shows - some you won't. They are great bedtime stories for your little ones and work equally well for adults.
If you have little ones in your life, you are going to want this book to read to them or give as a shower gift to an expectant mom. If you want to see what Pooh, Piglet ant the gang are like without all the "Disneyfications", this is also a great book. And, if you're like me and have fond memories of this book, it's _definitely_ for you. Read and enjoy:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it as an adult now. Because it's *that* sort of book., July 5 2000
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (Paperback)
I first read Pooh as a child, when my mornings were spent with the Spotted or Herbaceous Backson, and my afternoons were spent doing Nothing. It was a good book then, which I really enjoyed.
But I don't do Nothing any more. Well, not so much. They don't let you. Now my life is spent going around and around the thicket looking for the Woozle, or going bump, bump, bump down the stairs, thinking that there must be a better way, if only I could stop bumping long enough to think of it.
Now I need Pooh. I need to be reminded that spelling isn't everything - that there are some days when spelling TUESDAY simply doesn't count.
Pooh and Piglet are wondering where you've been. Eeyore told them that you're not coming back. "They've forgotten" said Eeyore. "Typical," said Eeyore. "How Like Them," he said.
But you can come back, you know. You can find a Thoughtful Spot, or join an Expotition for the North Pole, or even drop sticks off a bridge.
Because the Forest will always be there, and anyone who is Friendly with Bears can find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous -- Absolutely Sumptuous!!!, Oct. 6 1998
By A Customer
I recieved this book (and its companion, the color edition of "The House At Pooh Corner") as a gift. I cannot speak more highly of them both. Unlike the editor at Horn, who found that the colorization detracted from the illustrations, I find exactly the opposite -- that the color lends depth and detail to the drawings, which are completely untouched otherwise.
The paper is crisp, semi-glossy, and brilliant white; the cover and page edges are guilded; the typeface is sharp and crystal-clear; and the full-color endpapers are truly magnificent.
In all and every way this is a truly magnificent and sumptuous edition -- with perhaps the single exception of price. And even then, with such a marvelous work, that is to be expected!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all personal libraries, Jan. 28 2013
This review is from: Winnie the Pooh (Hardcover)
The timeless, classic tale of Winnie the Pooh is well captured in this original book. I chose this version as I wanted the original pictures and classic version. The pictures are very vivid and there is one on every turn of the page. The map at the start of the book is lots of fun for kids to trace where the story is taking place and the font size is very easy to read for youngsters as the creamy colour of each satiny page makes the black font pop. The little details on each page are very lovely including the tiny picture at the corner by each page number. Well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books Written - Ever, Oct. 17 2007
Nicola Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (Hardcover)
What can I say about this book? Except that if you haven't read it, you really must. A truly wonderful story to read-aloud and suitable for all ages, young and old. The language and the illustrations are both equally beautiful. The 7yo has always been a big Winnie the Pooh fan and seeing the twinkle in his eyes as I read this to him is priceless. These would also make wonderful bedtime stories as each chapter is pretty much a self-contained story, though reference to past events is occasionally mentioned. We are both looking forward to reading the sequel, The House at Pooh Corner. I only wish Milne had written more.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top five must-read children's books, Aug. 15 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (Paperback)
How did I get to adulthood without reading Winnie-th-pooh? If the only Pooh you know is the Disney version,you are in for a feast. Pooh and his friends are so much more than the mindless,flat characters in cartoons. When we read this aloud to our three children,12,5,&3, they were enthralled. The oldest understood most of the underpinnings and the two preschoolers just loved the fun. Night after night the kids would line up by the sofa,begging for more Pooh. We were all sad when the book ended,but Pooh is always with us in our hearts.
Ya gotta get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Same great book in fancy package..., Oct. 10 2001
"Winnie the Pooh" and "House on Pooh Corner" were two of my favorite books growing up. When I came across this 75th boxed anniversary edition, I just had the get it. Keep in mind, this is just the same great stories in new packages. "Winnie the Pooh" has gold trimmed pages and "House on Pooh Corner" is trimmed with silver. I recommend this to anyone who hopes to pass on the love of the original Winnie the Pooh characters to any young ones in their lives. I know I definitely will.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same great book in fancy package..., Oct. 10 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A real winner at our house!, Feb. 22 2000
Victoria Suarez (Richardson, Texas) - See all my reviews
I am reviewing the BBC tape of Winnie the Pooh, House at Pooh Corner, A Party for Pooh, and When We Were Very Young (four tape set). This set has become a very beloved member of our home! My three-year-old son can easily listen to this for an hour, and the wonderful thing is that after many hours of listening, I still find the stories charming and funny. The narrators are just masters at characterization. Now these tapes live in our car, and we pop them in EVERY time we are driving! Wonderful, wonderful find!

Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne (Hardcover - Sept. 8 2009)
CDN$ 25.00 CDN$ 15.75