5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all personal libraries
Published 18 months ago by nyc4147

2.0 out of 5 stars Same great book in fancy package...
Published on Oct. 10 2001 by emt0402

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all personal libraries, Jan. 28 2013
This review is from: Winnie the Pooh (Hardcover)
The timeless, classic tale of Winnie the Pooh is well captured in this original book. I chose this version as I wanted the original pictures and classic version. The pictures are very vivid and there is one on every turn of the page. The map at the start of the book is lots of fun for kids to trace where the story is taking place and the font size is very easy to read for youngsters as the creamy colour of each satiny page makes the black font pop. The little details on each page are very lovely including the tiny picture at the corner by each page number. Well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books Written - Ever, Oct. 17 2007
Nicola Manning-Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (Hardcover)
What can I say about this book? Except that if you haven't read it, you really must. A truly wonderful story to read-aloud and suitable for all ages, young and old. The language and the illustrations are both equally beautiful. The 7yo has always been a big Winnie the Pooh fan and seeing the twinkle in his eyes as I read this to him is priceless. These would also make wonderful bedtime stories as each chapter is pretty much a self-contained story, though reference to past events is occasionally mentioned. We are both looking forward to reading the sequel, The House at Pooh Corner. I only wish Milne had written more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest Pooh audiocassettes ever recorded!, Oct. 24 2001
John DiBello (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
[This is a review of the Hodder/Headline audiocassette version] I learned to read by listening (again and again and again and again) to a pair of well-loved and well-worn LPs of the Pooh stories read by Maurice Evans. I always considered them the finest Pooh audiobooks ever recorded. Up until now! Now there's this wonderful series of fully-dramatized adventures of Pooh featuring a brilliant cast of wonderful British actors: Stephen Fry ("Jeeves and Wooster") as Pooh, Geoffrey Palmer ("The Madness of King George") as Eeyore, Judy Dench ("Shakespeare in Love") as Kanga...and best of all, the *incomparable* Jane Horrocks ("Little Voice" and Bubble from "AbFab") as a squeaky, alarmed, and altogether adorable Piglet. You don't have to be a kid to appreciate these fine recordings (and there are plenty of adult Pooh fans out there who will *love* these versions). Accept no substitutes: this is simply the finest Pooh audio series yet created, beating by a *far* distance the Alan Bennett and (ugh!) Charles Kuralt versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Can You Go Wrong wih Pooh?, Jan. 15 2011
This is a charming book. It is soft cover with not many pictures, so not appropriate for really little hands, and the stories are longer. I originally bought it for my 2 year old, but it's my 5 year old (and myself) that are really enjoying it. There's nothing like a good Winnie the Pooh story to put you in a happy mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading of the book., March 19 2004
This is a review of the Jim Broadbent recording of the first Winnie the Pooh book. Although it does seem to include the other recordings I have heard, and I expect his version of The House at Pooh Corner would be quite similar.
Jim Broadbendt does a great job reading us WtP. Anyone who has heard the Charles Kuralt version- this version is 300% better. Jim not only has a sense of of humor, but does a different voice for each character. Two things sorely lacking on the CK versions. Now, for those who have heard the Peter Dennis recordings, well, those are better, there's no getting around that. Peter's piglet cannot be topped and he also does the most wonderful versions of the songs I have ever heard. But alas, those tapes are no longer available and Dennis never recorded the entire book(s). So, I figure Jim is still deserving of the 5 stars.
Broadbent does a wonderful job of bringing out the humor in the stories, something which the Kuralt recordings do not. His Eeyore does sound a bit like Ringo Starr- but, that works rather well now, doesn't it? Pooh, well, he's a bit on the not-so-bright side, but he's cheerful and trustworthy. Piglet does sound timid and sweet. Rabbit, well, he could be a bit more edgey in these. Jim has made Rabbit a bit more sympthetic a character than I envision him. Still, the subtle nuances are not lost, even on children. And, it is nice to have an unabridged version of the story available.
My children just love these cds. Which is nice. It's always good to have something that the entire family enjoys and is still a worthwhile use of time. Especialy something that one can listen to in the car that doesn't bore the pants off the driver and yet amuses the children enough to keep them quiet. I highly recommend this version for anyone who would like to expose their child to the original Pooh stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing Ho for the life of a Pooh, May 17 2003
Unless you were just teleported here from an alternative universe where Walt Disney was a hobo and stayed locked up in jail, never to entertain the world with his many talents, you _had_ to have heard of Winnie the Pooh. This _is_ the A.A.Milne stories with the beautiful Ernest Shepard's illustrations and if you never read this, you are in for a real treat.
The illustrations are gorgeous watercolors. The characters have more dimensions to them and the effect is more subtle. You'll recognize some stories from the Disney movies / shows - some you won't. They are great bedtime stories for your little ones and work equally well for adults.
If you have little ones in your life, you are going to want this book to read to them or give as a shower gift to an expectant mom. If you want to see what Pooh, Piglet ant the gang are like without all the "Disneyfications", this is also a great book. And, if you're like me and have fond memories of this book, it's _definitely_ for you. Read and enjoy:)

5.0 out of 5 stars black and white originals, Nov. 2 2001
Horn Book review hit it on the head: the black and white illustrations are superior in every way to the colored-in versions. The original editions were, after all, illustrated with simple, clearly-outlined sketches. So now, finally, we have have Winne-the-Pooh as it was originally intended to be. On top of that, excellent quality paper, beautiful binding, a perfect size, this slip-cased edition is a collector's item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same great book in fancy package..., Oct. 10 2001
"Winnie the Pooh" and "House on Pooh Corner" were two of my favorite books growing up. When I came across this 75th boxed anniversary edition, I just had the get it. Keep in mind, this is just the same great stories in new packages. "Winnie the Pooh" has gold trimmed pages and "House on Pooh Corner" is trimmed with silver. I recommend this to anyone who hopes to pass on the love of the original Winnie the Pooh characters to any young ones in their lives. I know I definitely will.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same great book in fancy package..., Oct. 10 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best childrens book that I ever read!, July 28 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (Paperback)
This is one of the best childrens book I ever read!!! Pooh bear is adorable and funny and I found my self laughing through most of the book...so if you love winnie the pooh then read this book.

Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne (Hardcover - Sept. 8 2009)
CDN$ 25.00 CDN$ 20.00