5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Bad Amazon
Although middle-aged, I have been a fan of John Green's work since my teenage daughter suggested I read Looking For Alaska. He injects an honesty and youthful vibrancy into his characters that should resonate with readers of any age. I don't think his books to be 'must-reads' but they are well-worth the time and effort.

However, Amazon is not so worthy as...
Published on Jan. 22 2012 by Holden

3.0 out of 5 stars Strength of characterization carries the book
What to say about this book. It's probably more of a 3.5 than a three, first of all.

First I will be completely honest: I resisted reading this book. When the internet started going nuts about it and I got the gist of what it was about, I kind of wrinkled my nose and had no interest in reading it.

I guess it was partly the summary, and my lack of...
Published 10 months ago by Kerri

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Bad Amazon, Jan. 22 2012
Ce commentaire est de: The Fault in Our Stars (Hardcover)

However, Amazon is not so worthy as praise as it did not deliver a signed copy even though my daughter had me pre-order the book months ago. As well, it was delivered later than other suppliers, even though all indicators point to Mr. Green having signed more than enough copies. The fault, it seems, lies with Amazon.ca. I understand that problems arise, but Amazon should take ownership of their mistake and offer even a slight recompense to the customers they have wronged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding. Touching, amazing characters, funny .... Loved it!, June 24 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The Fault in Our Stars (Hardcover)
** This review, as well as many more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm (www.thebakingbookworm.blogspot.ca) **

My Thoughts: This is a book that I noticed months ago while perusing the aisles at my local Chapters and it was put on my 'TBR (To Be Read) List' immediately. It's gotten a lot of hype (which may or may not be the kiss of death for a book). In this case the hype is warranted.

This was a touching read. Even though you know it's going to be a sad book (it deals with teenagers with cancer-ravaged bodies) and will, most likely, deal with death it doesn't detract from enjoying this book. You'd think that a book that focuses on a group of teens with cancer would be a huge tear fest from beginning to end but for the most part this book was funny and, in a strange way, uplifting and oh so very touching. Yes, it's a veritable roller coaster of emotions. But it works.

For me, what makes this book stand out are the characters. Not only are Hazel and Augustus well-rounded and completely engaging characters but the secondary characters, including Isaac and the sets of parents, are all complete and give believable voices to the book. It's these characters and their relationships with each other that truly shine in this book.

Let's get back to Hazel and Augustus. I loved Hazel from the first line of the book. Her dry wit,
sarcasm and humour. Loved her. Augustus held his own too and I adored their hilarious banter. He had some amazing lines in the book that I immediately wrote down because they were just 'that good'. Here's some of my favs ...

"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a
privilege to have my heart broken by you."

"But, while not all stories have happy endings,
it doesn't make their journey any less beautiful."

"That's the thing about pain... It demands to be felt."

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"

"I love you present tense"

Some would argue that 'normal teenagers' don't speak like Hazel and Augustus. I know that I didn't sound quite so cool at that age but, man, would I loved to have been! I will admit that they had a certain "Dawson's Creek/more mature than their years" way of speaking. But, I loved their sarcasm and just their voices in general. {I'm actually a little surprised and impressed at how well John Green got into the head of a teenage girl.}

Hazel, Augustus (and even Isaac) were believable even if how they said what they said was a little mature for them. Plus, these aren't normal teens. These are kids who have dealt with cancer and the threat of death for YEARS. Honestly, I found Hazel and Augustus to have a more quirky feel to them than being too unbelievably mature for their age. These teens, after years of treatments, losing friends to the disease that they themselves have, trying to stay strong for their families and friends ... have accepted their fates. They have cancer. Cancer SUCKS but their cancers don't define or limit who they are. They still have life to live. That's empowering and uplifting.

One of the things that I liked was getting an inside view into the life of a teen with cancer. Hazel was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer at the age of 13. Since then she knows that death is hovering over her but with the help of a miracle drug she has been able to lead a pretty normal life (even though she has to lug an oxygen tank around with her for when her lungs suck at being lungs). Hazel knows she's living on borrowed time and she hates feeling like an emotional grenade so she tries as hard as possible to minimize the emotional shrapnel that she'll cause her friends and family when she finally dies. Hazel is hunkering down for the inevitable ... until she meets Augustus.

The one and only thing that I felt detracted from me giving this a full on "5 star review" was the addition of the book storyline (a book that Hazel and Augustus are infatuated with). It broke away from their relationship and, I feel, bogged down the storyline too. It may also stem from the fact that I just didn't 'get' the book.

This is a book about the strength of the human spirit, the bravery and resilience of a bunch of teens who were dealt a really tough lot in life. It shows the nastiness of cancer and the strength we gain from connecting with others. It reminds us that we can still make a huge impact on the lives of our loved ones even if we may not be around long enough to make an impact on the world at large.

Here's a quote from the book that sums up how I feel about this book:

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep. Slowly. Then all at once."

Oh yes. This book got to me slowly and totally captivated me before I knew what was coming.

Highly recommended.

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Strength of characterization carries the book, Oct. 14 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The Fault in Our Stars (Hardcover)

I guess it was partly the summary, and my lack of desire for depressing books at the time - I mean, when you read a book about kids with cancer you have to know what you're getting into, right? There are only so many places a plot like that can go.

Reading this, I feel surprisingly neutral about it. The writing in terms of characterization is good, there's no doubting that. In particular Augustus charmed me just as fast as he charmed Hazel. That's what happens when I read a book that's first person, I find - although I'm in someone's head, I feel more connected to who *they* feel connected to than to the main character themselves.

There's a lyrical sense to some parts of the book, which I quite enjoyed. The problem is that for everything I read that was lyrical and moving, there were other bits that struck me as pretentious and... Well, I'm going to go with hipster, for lack of a better description. At times the kids didn't not sound like any teenagers I can imagine, and I have taken into account the fact that they have cancer.

I won't deny that my eyes welled up a couple of times during this book. So why am I dissatisfied? I guess I am just left with a vague feeling of having read a book that is slightly manipulative, and falls into the tropes that are quite common when dealing with stories (whether in movies or books) about people who have cancer. It's one of those things where I wonder whether the charm of Augustus' character and the nature of the story arc are what carry the book in spite of the slightly unbelievable prose and pretentious flair.

At any rate, at least now I can say that I've read it, lest anyone try to tell me I can't criticize it without reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, July 28 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
Since the film is now out in theaters, I thought it was about time I read the book that had everyone so excited. And so, another book was added to my already too-full bookshelf.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green is a contemporary YA following our main character, Hazel as she tries to live her life as a normal teen despite having cancer. During one of her many painfully dull trips at the cancer support group, a gorgeous boy catches her eye. She doesn't know it yet, but Augustus Waters will change her life.

What I am going to say next will probably earn me an inbox full of hate mail but here goes: This book disappointed me.

Not to say that it wasn’t good. I actually quite enjoyed it but hearing about it and seeing the numerous TFIOS decorated tissue boxes everyone was putting together to go see the film, I thought I was going to read something that would change my life.

In my opinion, I would have enjoyed the novel much more if the premiss would have been less about the book they read, An Imperial Affliction. AIA had its place in TFIOS. I understand it was a big part of Hazel and it was a book she felt she could relate to but I felt as though the story focused a bit too much on it.

Though it wasn’t life-changing read I thought it would be, I can’t deny that John Green is an amazing writer. I loved how he portrayed his characters. They both main characters were fun, quirky, witty, and normal teens. Too often do I read cancer-related novels where the characters are defined by their illness. This wasn’t one of them. Obviously, cancer affects pretty much every aspect of their lives but Green has done a great job in making sure his characters also had a personality of their own and were ones I could relate to.

I also loved the relationships between the characters. Whether it was Hazel and her parents, Gus and Hazel with their friend Isaac, or Hazel and Augustus, they all felt genuine and natural to me. I’m also happy to say that there was no insta-love (which is something that is very recurrent in YA).

Despite TFIOS not living up to its hype in my eyes, I felt as though it was a great read. However, I believe I would have enjoyed it even more had I not expected so much from it and I do think it’s a wonderful book to add to your collection. Okay? Okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is magic, Jan. 24 2012
Ce commentaire est de: The Fault in Our Stars (Hardcover)
Someone said the cry to laugh ratio is 1:1. Indeed, and I FELT ALL THE FEELINGS ;)
This book deserves all the raving reviews and more. I'm in awe of it's existence.
I want the entire universe to read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming. Poignant., Aug. 23 2014
Cee Ess - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This story is told by Hazel, a sixteen year old with cancer who is profoundly effected and somewhat obsessed, if only to distract from her illness, by her favourite novel, the novelist and the boy who brings them all together. There is a bit of pretense in the teenagers, but I don't think it's out of character. It's hard to tell sometimes if it's regardless of their illnesses or not, but I guess that's the point. There are charming and insightful scenes around the fear of leaving this world as a youth, being taken away by disease. Read and enjoy it without trying to analyze it too much (like it tries to analyze itself.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic love story, July 29 2014
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings"
I finished this book in one day, thanks to the addictive storyline. I thought this novel was moving, entertaining and thought provoking. I fell in love with the characters and I was sympathetic to what they were going through (cried continuously through a few chapters). The only thing that bothered me was the unrealistic teenage dialogue, as it was a bit pretentious. Other than that, I thought it was beautifully written. I can't wait until it comes out in DVD!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but unsigned..., Jan. 17 2012
Ce commentaire est de: The Fault in Our Stars (Hardcover)
I gave the book 5 stars because it is worth it!

I give to Amazon.ca: -10 stars. Why didn't you order enough copies of the signed book.. you had the pre-order numbers already! I am very disappointed that the signed first printing book I ordered back in August, was in fact an unsigned second, thrid, fourth, fifth, printing...

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for teenagers, Aug. 19 2014
TC (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I'm in my thirties so I was a little skeptical about reading a book geared to teenagers, but I am so glad that I decided to read it. At its core, it is a love story. Never mind that its characters are teenagers who have terminal illnesses; it's about love, finding meaning in life (whether long or short); tribulations; family and what we do when we've lost the one we love. A beautiful read that will re-read again and again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, recommended, June 26 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The Fault in Our Stars (Hardcover)
John Green is well-spoken and intelligent, and that comes across quite clearly in this book. It is well written, edited, paced, and easy to read. Its plot is articulated without being being overly detailed. It hits everything that "teen fiction" should be right on the head, making it quite palatable to adult readers, and I imagine it wouldn't be too confusing for younger readers (by that I mean those who are "pre-teens" or younger).

So, yeah, I liked it. What criticisms I have are mostly due to taste in literature and my own disposition and perspective, so take the the rest of this with a grain of salt.

I found the plot progression predictable, having guessed the ending very early on and the vast majority of plot turns. I felt that the father character was a lot more interesting than the book explicated, but then again the book was not about the father. I found some metaphors and scenes "hammy," or perhaps melodramatic and a little annoying, which I won't list for the sake of spoilers, but they obviously didn't harm the book to any great extent (seeing as I'm giving it four stars).

I'd recommend reading it, especially to teens and relatively mature pre-teens. It's a good read and doesn't overstay it's welcome. It's not pretentious and doesn't get boring.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Hardcover - Jan. 10 2012)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 10.99