Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Crocktober Music Deals Store NFL Barbecue

Format: HardcoverChange

on January 22, 2012
Although middle-aged, I have been a fan of John Green's work since my teenage daughter suggested I read Looking For Alaska. He injects an honesty and youthful vibrancy into his characters that should resonate with readers of any age. I don't think his books to be 'must-reads' but they are well-worth the time and effort.

However, Amazon is not so worthy as praise as it did not deliver a signed copy even though my daughter had me pre-order the book months ago. As well, it was delivered later than other suppliers, even though all indicators point to Mr. Green having signed more than enough copies. The fault, it seems, lies with I understand that problems arise, but Amazon should take ownership of their mistake and offer even a slight recompense to the customers they have wronged.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
** This review, as well as many more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm ( **

My Thoughts: This is a book that I noticed months ago while perusing the aisles at my local Chapters and it was put on my 'TBR (To Be Read) List' immediately. It's gotten a lot of hype (which may or may not be the kiss of death for a book). In this case the hype is warranted.

This was a touching read. Even though you know it's going to be a sad book (it deals with teenagers with cancer-ravaged bodies) and will, most likely, deal with death it doesn't detract from enjoying this book. You'd think that a book that focuses on a group of teens with cancer would be a huge tear fest from beginning to end but for the most part this book was funny and, in a strange way, uplifting and oh so very touching. Yes, it's a veritable roller coaster of emotions. But it works.

For me, what makes this book stand out are the characters. Not only are Hazel and Augustus well-rounded and completely engaging characters but the secondary characters, including Isaac and the sets of parents, are all complete and give believable voices to the book. It's these characters and their relationships with each other that truly shine in this book.

Let's get back to Hazel and Augustus. I loved Hazel from the first line of the book. Her dry wit,
sarcasm and humour. Loved her. Augustus held his own too and I adored their hilarious banter. He had some amazing lines in the book that I immediately wrote down because they were just 'that good'. Here's some of my favs ...

"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a
privilege to have my heart broken by you."

"But, while not all stories have happy endings,
it doesn't make their journey any less beautiful."

"That's the thing about pain... It demands to be felt."

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"

"I love you present tense"

Some would argue that 'normal teenagers' don't speak like Hazel and Augustus. I know that I didn't sound quite so cool at that age but, man, would I loved to have been! I will admit that they had a certain "Dawson's Creek/more mature than their years" way of speaking. But, I loved their sarcasm and just their voices in general. {I'm actually a little surprised and impressed at how well John Green got into the head of a teenage girl.}

Hazel, Augustus (and even Isaac) were believable even if how they said what they said was a little mature for them. Plus, these aren't normal teens. These are kids who have dealt with cancer and the threat of death for YEARS. Honestly, I found Hazel and Augustus to have a more quirky feel to them than being too unbelievably mature for their age. These teens, after years of treatments, losing friends to the disease that they themselves have, trying to stay strong for their families and friends ... have accepted their fates. They have cancer. Cancer SUCKS but their cancers don't define or limit who they are. They still have life to live. That's empowering and uplifting.

One of the things that I liked was getting an inside view into the life of a teen with cancer. Hazel was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer at the age of 13. Since then she knows that death is hovering over her but with the help of a miracle drug she has been able to lead a pretty normal life (even though she has to lug an oxygen tank around with her for when her lungs suck at being lungs). Hazel knows she's living on borrowed time and she hates feeling like an emotional grenade so she tries as hard as possible to minimize the emotional shrapnel that she'll cause her friends and family when she finally dies. Hazel is hunkering down for the inevitable ... until she meets Augustus.

The one and only thing that I felt detracted from me giving this a full on "5 star review" was the addition of the book storyline (a book that Hazel and Augustus are infatuated with). It broke away from their relationship and, I feel, bogged down the storyline too. It may also stem from the fact that I just didn't 'get' the book.

This is a book about the strength of the human spirit, the bravery and resilience of a bunch of teens who were dealt a really tough lot in life. It shows the nastiness of cancer and the strength we gain from connecting with others. It reminds us that we can still make a huge impact on the lives of our loved ones even if we may not be around long enough to make an impact on the world at large.

Here's a quote from the book that sums up how I feel about this book:

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep. Slowly. Then all at once."

Oh yes. This book got to me slowly and totally captivated me before I knew what was coming.

Highly recommended.

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars
on June 20, 2014
How many tears can a person cry in their lifetime?
Some persons says that there is no limit, others says that it depends on how many times a person blinks in a minute.
This book makes you cry, with no blinking.My tears reservoir feels empty.
It feels like, if there is a limit, I may have used all my tears…

This book captured suffering, darkness and love
and at the same time reminded readers that perhaps our heroes are not all we have idealized them to be.
on February 5, 2015
I liked this book. To be honest, I did feel manipulated a bit, but I still think it's a good read and an important book.
The bad:
The characters are somewhat flat and not quite believable. They sort of seem to have only one side to them. The story is not always believable and oftentimes clichéd.
The good:
Subject. This is not a love story as many see it it(I saw many reviews saying that this book is very average as a love story, and I agree). The main character in this book is cancer. Families dealing with their kids' terminal illness. Kids dealing with what they can't overcome. This is very real and an everyday occurrence for some. If I saw this book as a love story, I would not give it more than 2 stars. But the topic, I believe, is very important - and the families under pressure are true to life. The parents who don't have any life outside of their child's cancer. Children outside of normal children's life activities. And author gets it right, I think. And yet there is light, and I would not call it a depressing read - it was very uplifting, actually. So, this makes it a 4 stars book for me. Plus, it is engaging and light hearted.
This is not a Great Literature (so it is not a 5 star), but I would definitely recommend it.
on September 17, 2014
There has been so much buzz about John Green’s The Fault in our Stars, even before the movie was set to come out. Green apparently has a HUGE following, the kind of following you see at comicon really, so the buzz extends far beyond the book. I’m actually surprised this is the first I’m really hearing about all of this, and the first book of Green’s I’ve read, but curiosity has killed my natural response to avoid all things popular and I’ve decided to see what all this noise is about.

I definitely fell into the witty banter right away. I love books that move quickly like this with whip-smart dialogue and sarcastic interaction. It mimics conversations I have with friends and makes me really open to these new characters. I mean, I’m meeting them for the first time, after all, and this makes a great first impression.

Hazel, Isaac and Augustus have a beautiful chemistry together. And like anyone else who has been exposed to his charms, I couldn’t help but be swept up in Augustus’s crooked smile and whimsical existence. If I was only to meet one other person in life, he is the kind of person I’d want them to be. And the way he sees Hazel, doesn’t everyone want someone to see them like that?

It probably isn’t hard to see her like that, though. Hazel is awesome. And I don’t mean because of how she handles her sickness or how strong she is (though both are admirable), she’s great because of how real she is. She treads lightly, she has her expectations in check, she doesn’t ever seem to take anything for granted or expect anything different just because she was dealt a poor hand. A lot of people could learn a lot from her.

There isn’t anything overly extraordinary about this story; it’s about teens who deal with real issues. People do that all the time, doesn’t mean you always need to write a book about it. But Green weaves a hopeful dreaminess throughout the story that changes this into something much more extraordinary than it seems on paper. And while some of the content is bleak, I love how the characters embrace the bleakness and how bluntly death and their personal doom are spoken about. It’s a very honest approach, there’s no sugar coating, but there’s hope hiding in all that honesty.

It’s so easy to make other literary pieces a star in your book, but it takes some imagination and additional work to make up a whole other fictional piece for your own piece of fiction. Green has not only created An Imperial Affliction, a book which serves as Hazel’s bible, and whose author is a large component of the story as well, but Green also created a series of books based on a video game (the fictional game based on Counterstrike) that he came up with just for this book. I love when authors pour that much of themselves into their work, going beyond what they could have gotten away with.

Be warned: if you haven’t read this book yet, don’t go onto the internet until you’re done. The internet is full of spoilers. Not even half way through the book, I managed to spoil some major plot points for myself all because I jumped on the bandwagon a little too late. That usually takes the fun out of books for me, but there was just too much charm in this to give up on it so soon.

The Fault in our Stars is a short and bittersweet story of two teens coming of age, uncertain whether they will ever actually see themselves come of age. I can see what all the hype is about and why people are falling in love with this everywhere. It brought me to tears and I kick myself for not picking it up sooner. I can’t wait to see the movie, where I will likely bawl some more. (originally posted on
on July 28, 2014
Since the film is now out in theaters, I thought it was about time I read the book that had everyone so excited. And so, another book was added to my already too-full bookshelf.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green is a contemporary YA following our main character, Hazel as she tries to live her life as a normal teen despite having cancer. During one of her many painfully dull trips at the cancer support group, a gorgeous boy catches her eye. She doesn't know it yet, but Augustus Waters will change her life.

What I am going to say next will probably earn me an inbox full of hate mail but here goes: This book disappointed me.

Not to say that it wasn’t good. I actually quite enjoyed it but hearing about it and seeing the numerous TFIOS decorated tissue boxes everyone was putting together to go see the film, I thought I was going to read something that would change my life.

In my opinion, I would have enjoyed the novel much more if the premiss would have been less about the book they read, An Imperial Affliction. AIA had its place in TFIOS. I understand it was a big part of Hazel and it was a book she felt she could relate to but I felt as though the story focused a bit too much on it.

Though it wasn’t life-changing read I thought it would be, I can’t deny that John Green is an amazing writer. I loved how he portrayed his characters. They both main characters were fun, quirky, witty, and normal teens. Too often do I read cancer-related novels where the characters are defined by their illness. This wasn’t one of them. Obviously, cancer affects pretty much every aspect of their lives but Green has done a great job in making sure his characters also had a personality of their own and were ones I could relate to.

I also loved the relationships between the characters. Whether it was Hazel and her parents, Gus and Hazel with their friend Isaac, or Hazel and Augustus, they all felt genuine and natural to me. I’m also happy to say that there was no insta-love (which is something that is very recurrent in YA).

Despite TFIOS not living up to its hype in my eyes, I felt as though it was a great read. However, I believe I would have enjoyed it even more had I not expected so much from it and I do think it’s a wonderful book to add to your collection. Okay? Okay.
on June 11, 2014
Let me just say, anyone who reads this book should expect to cry. I did, but it should not deter you from reading. In fact, this is a book I pestered my friends and family to read for a long time, for a simple reason. It is heartbreaking and completely beautiful for it.

I think that every now and then a reader needs to come across a story that changes their perspective, something that really helps them examine their own character, choices, and living.
Hazel is a young woman who has effectively been told to not expect much more of a life, but rather functionally live through the last moments she has left. She has somewhat resigned herself to this reality, accepting things like attending school can't happen (though she takes university courses through distance learning), while still being forced to attend a support group for cancer kids.

I felt sympathy for Hazel at the beginning of the book, which I expect is the point, but what I really was waiting for was something to push her, out of her comfort zone just a little bit, where she can begin to experience happiness and excitement. Things that regular teenage girls experience.

Which is where Augustus Walters steps in. I really enjoyed his character for multiple reasons. On the surface, there is an unusual and 'cool' guy, who does things like pretend to smoke cigarettes for the irony, and wants to make Hazel smile. On the other hand, there is a complete vulnerability to him- in the relationship he has with his friends and Hazel, how he hides his worsening condition, how he refuses to let his sickness define him until the end.

I liked the complexities of both characters.

I appreciated the literary story line and what it revealed about Hazel and Gus along the way. Hazel, in her somewhat symbolic determination to find out the end of her favourite story. Gus, in his ability to help this come to life, and how he recognises Hazel's need for closure, a resolved ending in at least one reality.

John Green is an exceptional writer. Shortly after finishing this book, I went out and bought a lot of his other work. He works very well with dialogue (creating realistic 'teen' characters, but not making them irritating, or overusing colloquialisms), as well as his imagery and symbolism. There are some well-crafted lines, below being my favourite:

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep. Slowly, then all at once."

Five stars.
on June 8, 2014
The Fault in Our Stars was an amazing book. The story was very well put together and the characters were fun to discover, despite the sentiment the book is meant to give. It definitely ended the complete opposite way that I thought it would, and that's what made it 10 times more enjoyable.

I loved learning about the characters, more specifically Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters, the main characters, as well as Isaac. I found it was genius to have a completely different love story than any other, especially with the different personalities going around. Regardless of it being a sad book, it was nice and refreshing to see characters with different approaches on life.

The way John Green formulated the story was nice and made the book an easy read. I think my favourite thing about it was that it ended a bit like An Imperial Affliction, an imaginary book in the story. It basically ends in the middle of a sentence. What happens to Hazel? To Isaac? We will never know.

That being said, I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars, not because it made me emotional, not because it was a beautifully written cancer story, but because John was able to create something original all on its own, something different other than the fact that it was a different kind of love story. The Fault in Our Stars was fresh, new, and definitely worth my time.

I look forward to reading the rest of John's books.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Books do not often bring tears to my eyes. I have only ever shed tears for one other book in my reading career, and there weren't many tears. The Fault in Our Stars caused me to cry like a freakin' baby in parts. This book emitted such emotion through its wonderfully scripted words. I listened to the audiobook version and am very torn as to whether this was a good decision or not. I loved the audio track. I thought that the narrator, Kate Rudd, did a fantastic job with bringing the story to life. I do not regret listening to the audiobook whatsoever, but a part of me really wants to pick up the actual written word of the book and actually read it. It was that good that I feel like I need to actually see and read the beautiful words. I will read it someday. How can I not? It makes me sad that I will not have "A Peek Inside" for this book (because it's just too hard with audiobooks to get an exact quote), because there are so many beautiful and wonderfully crafted quotes from this book. I guess you'll just have to trust me (and everyone else) and just read it and find the quotes for yourself.

The Fault in Our Stars is about a sixteen-year-old girl, Hazel Grace, who has cancer. Terminal cancer. She will die. The reader is taken on part of her journey as she develops relationships with other kids with cancer, struggles with the emotional and physical side effects of cancer, and just tries to live every day life as best she can under the circumstances. This boy she meets and ultimately falls in love with, Augustus Waters, is a fantastic character. I love him and I love Hazel. They are both amazing, as with all of the characters in this novel.

I cannot even begin to describe what a great book this is, with its beautiful writing, which includes a lot of sarcasm and humour along the way. This is my first experience with a John Green novel and he has made me a huge fan. All it took was this one book. I cannot wait to read more of his books and I highly recommend that you give his words a try as well. You won't regret it.
on March 13, 2013
I am an avid reader. And, I'm a school librarian. So, believe me when I say that I have read a great variety of books. None has touched me like The Fault in Our Stars has. In fact, this is the first time a book has moved me enough to motivate me to write a review. I had read very little in terms of reviews prior to purchasing this book. I had only read that it was very good; I had no great expectations really. I was merely familiarizing myself with a library book so that I could make recommendations to my students. Something I had done many times before, with many different books. But, this time was different. The Fault in Our Stars touched me like no other book ever has before. I fell in love with Hazel and Augustus, both individually, and as a couple. We can all learn something from the way in which they handled their difficult situations. They are truly an inspiration, and their love story was one not rivaled in many novels. I loved this book beyond belief, and it is now my personal mission to get everyone I know to read it. The world needs to know Hazel and Augustus. If we could all be a bit more like them, the world would be a better place. In the words of John Green, the world is not a wish granting factory. If it were, I would wish for more books like this.