biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on September 17, 2014
There has been so much buzz about John Green’s The Fault in our Stars, even before the movie was set to come out. Green apparently has a HUGE following, the kind of following you see at comicon really, so the buzz extends far beyond the book. I’m actually surprised this is the first I’m really hearing about all of this, and the first book of Green’s I’ve read, but curiosity has killed my natural response to avoid all things popular and I’ve decided to see what all this noise is about.

I definitely fell into the witty banter right away. I love books that move quickly like this with whip-smart dialogue and sarcastic interaction. It mimics conversations I have with friends and makes me really open to these new characters. I mean, I’m meeting them for the first time, after all, and this makes a great first impression.

Hazel, Isaac and Augustus have a beautiful chemistry together. And like anyone else who has been exposed to his charms, I couldn’t help but be swept up in Augustus’s crooked smile and whimsical existence. If I was only to meet one other person in life, he is the kind of person I’d want them to be. And the way he sees Hazel, doesn’t everyone want someone to see them like that?

It probably isn’t hard to see her like that, though. Hazel is awesome. And I don’t mean because of how she handles her sickness or how strong she is (though both are admirable), she’s great because of how real she is. She treads lightly, she has her expectations in check, she doesn’t ever seem to take anything for granted or expect anything different just because she was dealt a poor hand. A lot of people could learn a lot from her.

There isn’t anything overly extraordinary about this story; it’s about teens who deal with real issues. People do that all the time, doesn’t mean you always need to write a book about it. But Green weaves a hopeful dreaminess throughout the story that changes this into something much more extraordinary than it seems on paper. And while some of the content is bleak, I love how the characters embrace the bleakness and how bluntly death and their personal doom are spoken about. It’s a very honest approach, there’s no sugar coating, but there’s hope hiding in all that honesty.

It’s so easy to make other literary pieces a star in your book, but it takes some imagination and additional work to make up a whole other fictional piece for your own piece of fiction. Green has not only created An Imperial Affliction, a book which serves as Hazel’s bible, and whose author is a large component of the story as well, but Green also created a series of books based on a video game (the fictional game based on Counterstrike) that he came up with just for this book. I love when authors pour that much of themselves into their work, going beyond what they could have gotten away with.

Be warned: if you haven’t read this book yet, don’t go onto the internet until you’re done. The internet is full of spoilers. Not even half way through the book, I managed to spoil some major plot points for myself all because I jumped on the bandwagon a little too late. That usually takes the fun out of books for me, but there was just too much charm in this to give up on it so soon.

The Fault in our Stars is a short and bittersweet story of two teens coming of age, uncertain whether they will ever actually see themselves come of age. I can see what all the hype is about and why people are falling in love with this everywhere. It brought me to tears and I kick myself for not picking it up sooner. I can’t wait to see the movie, where I will likely bawl some more. (originally posted on citygirlscapes.com)
on September 27, 2014
I enjoyed this quirky read.
I did find that I liked the characters that were supposed to be unsympathetic though…and didn't really warm to the main characters,maybe that was just me.
on August 23, 2014
This story is told by Hazel, a sixteen year old with cancer who is profoundly effected and somewhat obsessed, if only to distract from her illness, by her favourite novel, the novelist and the boy who brings them all together. There is a bit of pretense in the teenagers, but I don't think it's out of character. It's hard to tell sometimes if it's regardless of their illnesses or not, but I guess that's the point. There are charming and insightful scenes around the fear of leaving this world as a youth, being taken away by disease. Read and enjoy it without trying to analyze it too much (like it tries to analyze itself.)
on July 29, 2014
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings"
I finished this book in one day, thanks to the addictive storyline. I thought this novel was moving, entertaining and thought provoking. I fell in love with the characters and I was sympathetic to what they were going through (cried continuously through a few chapters). The only thing that bothered me was the unrealistic teenage dialogue, as it was a bit pretentious. Other than that, I thought it was beautifully written. I can't wait until it comes out in DVD!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 17, 2015
I'd rate this book a very solid 4 1/2 star read. I liked Green's writing and how well he let us know the characters of Hazel and Gus, two teens who meet at a Cancer Kid Support Group. Though Hazel and Gus and their friend Isaac are dealing with the unthinkable, Green's writing is not at all sentimental or sappy. The kids act and speak like real teens. This was a lovely story and I plan to read more of Green's novels, as he has a fresh and interesting way of writing.
on April 21, 2015
I picked this book up on a whim, didn't know anything about it and I really liked it. The writing is smart and funny and sad and raises a whole range of emotions. I was thinking it was maybe for young adult readers but I certainly enjoyed it as a "mature adult". "The Fault in our Stars" is now a movie. That makes sense. Don't let the premise of teens meeting at a Cancer Support Group put you off. It is a great read.
on June 26, 2013
John Green is well-spoken and intelligent, and that comes across quite clearly in this book. It is well written, edited, paced, and easy to read. Its plot is articulated without being being overly detailed. It hits everything that "teen fiction" should be right on the head, making it quite palatable to adult readers, and I imagine it wouldn't be too confusing for younger readers (by that I mean those who are "pre-teens" or younger).

So, yeah, I liked it. What criticisms I have are mostly due to taste in literature and my own disposition and perspective, so take the the rest of this with a grain of salt.

I found the plot progression predictable, having guessed the ending very early on and the vast majority of plot turns. I felt that the father character was a lot more interesting than the book explicated, but then again the book was not about the father. I found some metaphors and scenes "hammy," or perhaps melodramatic and a little annoying, which I won't list for the sake of spoilers, but they obviously didn't harm the book to any great extent (seeing as I'm giving it four stars).

I'd recommend reading it, especially to teens and relatively mature pre-teens. It's a good read and doesn't overstay it's welcome. It's not pretentious and doesn't get boring.
on June 18, 2014
I hate to hop on the bandwagon as much as the next hipster, but TFIOS (because that's what we savvy people call it) is an excellent read that serves as a playful reminder of omnipresent mortality, and the need to remain optimistic even during perilious situations. Adults can always stand to learn from kids, and this novel is a perfect reminder of that.
on November 15, 2014
I read the novel and thought it was a good, easy read. I would recommend this book to everyone, as long as they haven't already watched the movie. I watched the movie after reading the book and it blew me out of the water. If you haven't already watched the movie I suggest you do. After reading the book of course.
on June 12, 2014
An interesting read from the perspective of what life is like living with a life threatening disease. John Green allows the reader a glimpse into the struggles of dealing with the side effects of treatments, social perception to illness and how important it is to just be happy and in love.