summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 19, 2016
amazing book!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 10, 2016
What an incredible story!
Augustus is an admirable young man, that I am still at a loss over. I feel deeply crushed, and can only imagine how Hazel feels.
Cancer.
It hits every family, somehow. Sad to think, but even sadder when they don't get to live a long full life like the rest of us. As a parent, the idea of a child dying before them is crushing. But it happens. Not just in story.
This story felt so real. I have to wonder if the author was greatly affected by something like this. It was just so raw at times.
I can't wait to watch the movie. I know how much I bawled through the book so I will definitely be prepared... still, I'm anxious to see if the film lives up to the book, which I liked a lot.
A great start to reading John Green's books. I don't plan on stopping here.
on March 27, 2016
Delivered quickly and as advertised
on March 18, 2016
It looks like not a new book!
on March 7, 2016
i didnt read the book yet. to be honest i havnt even ordered it yet because i think it might be over-priced.Amazon,if you want people to read more books i think the prices should be lower. But that is just my opinion. Yours may be different. Idk how the price is made though. Maybe it is based on how good the book is. But i have found some of my favourite books on here for free. Sorry for my complaints.Thx.
on March 4, 2016
Excellent.
on February 12, 2016
John Green’s approach to the ultimate existential problem (time) is rather brilliant. He has demonstrated with gut-wrenching accuracy, what it is like to feel like a ticking time-bomb, and what makes this love story exceptionally thought-provoking, is that it actually IS thought-provoking. Not simply because of its premise, but the way in which it is dealt with; seemingly mundane, and in every way imaginable, extraordinary.

For children to be grappling with life-crises most adults postpone until old age is heart-breaking as it is, but also unfathomably eye-opening. And the questions raised, while paint an ugly picture of the cruel reality of being ill, help extricate nuances (by definition, small and seemingly insignificant) which are surprisingly powerful in changing one’s mindset about why we are here, why it is transient, and whether or not that’s ok.

I was shook to the core by this narrative, and though it was becoming painful to sob uncontrollably every few pages or so, it was also incredibly cathartic because every single word confirmed a reality I know exists, but which I would never want to experience for myself.

The Fault in our Stars is unprecedented. It is raw, ugly, spellbinding, beautiful, infuriating, heart-breaking, and most importantly, it forces you to feel.

It has dawned on me that all things—whether in or out of existence—pertain to the ultimate existential crisis. Not simply as relevant to us as human begins, but as fundamental as what it means to be a rock. To be a collection of molecules devoid of what we as humans deem as ‘awareness’.

It would take a lifetime to decipher the enigma of what life is, and at best it seems, the most satisfactory conclusion is: that we simply do not know. And it can seem disheartening, not knowing what it is about life we cling onto so desperately, and why we fear its loss the most, even though there are losses far more excruciating within the realm of our experience: loss of hope, loss of freedom, loss of self, of dignity, of time.

And there it is: time. The one commodity we falsely assume we have enough of. And once you have managed to grapple with its uncompromising nature, once you think you have planned your life well enough to do all that matters to you with the time you've been given, you only wind up with more questions than answers; and not the kind of answers you find, but the kind of answers you concoct. And we do so, because not knowing what lurks in the dark is infinitely more terrifying than the death sentence itself.

So what it is about, this 'life'? Is it about living it as comfortably as you can manage? Is it about self-actualization? About leaving something behind? Is it ultimately about deciphering it? And most importantly, is this 'meaning of life' universal, or is it as personal as it can possibly get?

The most comfort I have found in questioning virtually everything there is to question has been this: That most certainly, the only thing certain thing about life and death is uncertainty. And I’ve found that acknowledging this fact has in many ways relinquished my responsibility of a life-long pursuit for answers I will never get. In some ways, that is the simultaneous beauty and pitfall of philosophy: raising more unanswerable questions, but broadening horizons in the process.

So what do you prefer? Do you prefer never loving, never laughing, never experiencing neither the peaks nor the valleys of life, so that once death comes, you can easily part with this ‘life’ you have not lived? Or do you want experience every beautiful and ugly facet of life alike, so that when it comes to part with it, you simply cannot?

It seems to me that if parting with my life is not the most tragic, frightening, and unbearable thing imaginable, then my dreams have not been big enough; that I have not been living a full enough life. And the last thing I'd want on my death-bed (or within the last seconds of still retaining my consciousness) is feeling like: 'I cannot believe I could, and I didn't.'

I believe not having anything to lose is the most tragic thing about loss.
on February 11, 2016
****careful. A few ending spoilers****

Oh my where to start...?
Ive had friends reading this book for so long and it never interested me. I learned it is a book about cancer and I immediately thought it was some boring philosophical book with zero romance. (I'm a romance sucker.) Because I never actually read the pitch.

It's actually thanks to Breeze of Life by Kristy Dallas that I looked twice at this book. I recently read Breeze of Life, loved it and was reminded by this book because the protagonist there has cancer as well, and is on a limited life span. So I looked it up, read the summery and was immediately blown away. The only thing that could have hooked me more was the pitch--too short, too little info.

Well today I spent the day in bed and read every last word.
The romance was a little quick and happened fast, but it was beautiful and so sweet. Another thing that could have been better is for the author not to rush through it so much. The plot seemed rushed at times and I wish I had more of a chance to be with the characters. (Or maybe not because then I would have cried more.)

But it was overall very good. I'm giving it five stars for all the emotions it made me have.

The ending blew me away a bit. Well, not the ending, but when she learns he is dying :( :( Throughout the novel I kept feeling like she'd die, but that was a saddening surprise.

The ending itself was iffy for me. In plot and sentimental reasons, it was beautiful. Asking Peter to write to her for him..awwww.
But I found it didn't end the book up enough. I'm left with a pound of questions. Does she die?? Or better yet, when does she? What's the rest of Isaac's life like?
And you know what...? Even as I write this I just understood the ending. John Green made it so TFiOS ends just like Peter's book; no definite ending.clever but upsetting.

I heard there is a movie coming out so I watched the trailer. Despite knowing that I'll bawl like crazy, I want to see it. Judging from the trailer this movie will be bang-on to the book. Every scene and piece of dialogue was exactly like the book ^__^

And to sum it up, do you have any idea how difficult it is to sob at that book while already having a cold??? I couldn't breathe!!!
on January 18, 2016
Excellent read, I really enjoyed it!
on January 4, 2016