2,860 Reviews
 (1,711)

5.0 out of 5 stars Conservatives are from Mars, Liberals are from Venus
Good gosh golly that Al Franken makes me so angry! I could just bust thinking about him!
The liberals have tarnished the reputations of the Fox News Channel, which fine upstanding and patriotic Americans know is the only one worth paying attention to. Res ipsa loquiter.
Everybody knows that terrorists vote Democratic. Think about it.
The Communists, who are...
Published on July 16 2004 by Steve Thulen

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining view of the sad state of political opinion
Al Franken's latest piece of work reveals some of the outright lies and deception of the conservative right. Drawing on numerous examples of blatant dishonesty and distortion of facts, Franken successfully discredits a number of high profile conservative blowhards such as Anne Coulter, Bill O'Reily and Sean Hannity. He also reveals some of the more flagrant untruths and...
Published on May 8 2004 by Dhukka

4.0 out of 5 stars Satire and Irony in top form, thanks Al, Feb. 24 2006
Travis Benson (Calgary) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because it was cheap (mark-down bin cheap) and boy howdy I am not disappointed. Al Franken's masterful use of comedy to slice through political double-speak and stonewalling is amusing and enlightening. I would not claim that Franken is a bipartisan writer-he himself admits to being a liberal- however, he does methodically tear far right wing ideologues such as Anne Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, and Bill O'Rielly a proverbial 'new one' on all the lies and doublestandards they've used. What I take him to mean in the highly sarcastic title 'a fair and balanced look at the right' is perhaps balanced as a synonym for sane; sanity being a trait that the above mentioned persons don't really have a thimblefull of.
Franken attacks in a highly humorous and engaging way a truly serious problem at the root of both government and the mass media in North America today. The problem is that people can lie bold-faced and intentionally without consequence. He delineates how persons who are part of respected media outlets (I giggled a bit when I called Fox News respected) can fudge facts, inflate figures, make huge generalizations and even weave "facts" out of thin air to make their arguments. He shows that, in many cases, even the most rudimentary fact checking simply is not done. Hell, I'm not the host of any radio or TV show and I still know that that jut isn't right. People get expelled from University for doing that. Thanks Al, the book was hilarious, keep sticking it to the lying liars who lie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clone All Franken!, July 17 2004
This review is from: Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right (Hardcover)
"Lies" is laugh-out-loud funny, and it is well-informed and informative, as well. Its foundation is a love of America and a desire to better the human condition and live up to the promises of our Founding Fathers and Mothers. Its method is rigorous research, applied tactically and courageously, combined with humor.
I'm a stickler for civil discourse. I reject ad hominem commentary and obscene language.
Yet Franken gets away with both and is very funny to boot.
He says things about Ann Coulter that I suspect many of us have been thinking since first seeing her on TV, but haven't wanted to say, out of courtesy's sake. Franken says these things in a way that is so funny you are laughing too hard to monitor your laughter to make sure it is polite.
In his own defense, he points out that his targets, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, etc, have made ad hominem commentary their stock in trade. Franken reports on Limbaugh referring to the teenage Chelsea Clinton as the "White House dog," for example, and Ann Coulter naming a list of ugly Democratic women. After Franken exposes the venom, the distortions, and the mean-spirited sneakiness of his opponents, you see the logic behind his own exasperated and yet precise attacks.
Too, Franken points out the simple, basic lies that these same folks have promulgated as facts. And he has had the courage to confront his opponents in person.
"Facts are stubborn things," as John Adams said. Franken has done considerable research to use facts to expose his opponents as basing their positions on sand.
And yet, for all its genuine erudition, its core of compassionate and patriotic outrage -- this is a very, very funny book. This is the kind of book that is dangerous to read in a public place. You can't help but laugh out loud and draw attention to yourself.
This book aroused in me a great admiration for Al Franken, and a feeling that if liberals want to regain power in America, they might do well to learn from his humor, his armory of facts, and his considerable courage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conservatives are from Mars, Liberals are from Venus, July 16 2004
Everybody knows that terrorists vote Democratic. Think about it.
The Communists, who are very scary and who have mean looking eyes, vote Democratic. Think about it.
Probably a lot of murders are Democrats. Think about it.
This book makes me wonder if somebody saw a screenplay I wrote a few years ago and stole my idea. It was called "A Savage Campaign." In it, a politician is finally stopped by Barry Bonds. When I pitched this idea to many Hollywood executives they thought it sounded great, but they wanted me to change the democrat to a republican. Res ipsa loquiter.
In Hollywood, many people are bad individuals who do bad things. They are liberals. Conservatives are beyond reproach. Res ipsa loquiter.
Maybe Al Franken should stop dividing Americans. Res ipsa loquiter.
It's clear that people on the right are more likely to be named Citizen of the Year and regularly bathe, while people on the left routinely commit crimes and abuse children.
STEVEN THULEN
AUTHOR OF "JIMMY KEY: BASEBALL'S BATMAN"
STHULENCA@AOL.COM

5.0 out of 5 stars opened eyes, July 14 2004
al franken is a god send. he refuses to straddle the fence, he picks a side and justifies his choice with an abundance of wit and clever venom.
not mencing any words, his choice is the correct one.
the right wing agenda in america is a downright evil one. the conservative party seeks to quash any attempts towards moral, ethical,or social progress, as they always have.
it is for no reason that minorities tend to to vote liberal, remembering the conservative stance in the not so long ago civil rights issue.
and the conservative party, no mistaking it here, are for the upper class white anglo saxon protestant, militant elite.
al franken, the clintons, michael moore are trying, each in their own way, to reestablish the strive for progress initiated by fdr and carried on (albeit tragically brief) by the kennedys, martin luther king and malcom x.
franken, even more than michael moore, has a winning wit and effectively disarms his uneducated critics.
calling a spade a spade, franken doesnt flinch for a millisecond, his eyes are wide open when calling limbaugh,the bushs, and cheney downright evil and stupid.
my suggestion is indeed to have both eyes open when reading this imparative book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed laugh about a serious situation, July 11 2004
Amazon Customer (Missouri, United States) - See all my reviews
It's hard for me to label myself. I think that I'd really mess up opinion polls or focus groups. I oppose abortion, the death penalty, and guns... I'm a Christian (in a "fundamentalist" denomination) and a public school teacher... I oppose the war in Iraq but pray for the troops every night...
Get the picture?
Books like this remind me of why I usually fall on the left/Democrat side of things. I laughed so much while reading this book, but at the same time I was reminded of much anger that I have. I think Franken does a particularly nice job of pointing out why I have such a strong dislike for Coulter, O'Reilley, Hannity, and the like.
I recommend this book to anyone who is left-leaning who wants a laugh along with a powerful reminder of why we feel the way we do. Reading the book was worthwhile just to find this quote, which sums up how I feel:
"You see, they (Conservatives) love America the way a four-year-old loves her mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a four-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad, and helping your loved one grow."
Yep, that's pretty much it, isn't it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Franken's second funniest book, ever., July 10 2004
I am an Oklahoma Republican; have been since I was 18. By most liberal standards I'm fairly conservative (and have been since waaaay before that PR*CK Bush made it an insult.) But when I was bed ridden for weeks with a severe tear in my hamstring I became a little desperate for things to read. When a more liberal friend brought RUSH LIMBAUGH IS A BIG FAT IDIOT in for me to read, I was, well, hesitant.
I read the entire thing in about 5 hours. . . Then I read it again, laughing my *ss off!! My wife read it, and we then we began buying copies for our friends. We gave copies out for Christmas and birthdays.
The short of it? This book is genius. It's pure unadulterated genius, and I love it. . . ALMOST as much as RUSH LIMBAUGH IS A BIG FAT IDIOT. When it hits softcover, you can bet we'll be buying it by the case, as well.
Franken is smart, outspoken, funny, and worst of all, correct. My party has fallen into a shameful pit of greed. Being Republican used to mean that you were for bolstering the economy for ALL Americans. It used to mean keeping an eye on the government so things like the "patriot" act (patriotic in title, ONLY) would never come to pass. It used to mean that you were going to retire rich because you'd worked harder than others.
Please, oh please, young readers, do not judge all Republicans by the slanderous slimebag that oozes about the Oval Office these days; we do actually have a purpose. . . We've just forgotten what it is.
Come back Bill, all is forgiven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time To Take Off The Blinders, July 10 2004
I am a conservative, I belong to the NRA, and I am quite certain that Al and I would disagree in our interpretations of the intent of the Second Amendment. And if we were to debate this topic, it might even turn into a heated discussion. But ultimately I can respect Mr. Frankin's right to his beliefs on gun control without labeling him a "commie" or a Socialist. And I feel quite certain that Mr. Frankin could respect my right to my beliefs on the right to keep and bear arms without accusing me of being a Nazi. Folks, in case anyone has forgotten, this is what America is supposed to be about.
As a conservative American, I do not want to be associated with the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, or, for that matter, George W. Bush and his cronies. Since 9/11, these demagogues have spearheaded a national movement of lies, deceit, fear mongering, phony patriotism, and propaganda to rally unwitting Americans behind Bush's completely irresponsible and self-serving political agenda. And as Frankin so adeptly points out, these people will shamelessly resort to name calling, distortions, verbal abuse, and guilt (e.g., "If you don't agree with me you aren't a good American") to coerce Americans to step in line with their own ill-conceived agendas. People, what we are witnessing here isn't about conservatism, and it isn't about patriotism -- it's borderline Fascism.
What really scares me is that millions of "patriotic" Americans have put on their blinders and eagerly jumped on to this impending train wreck without giving the first moment's thought as to where it is leading this country. It just doesn't seem to bother them that "W" is shackling us and our children with trillions of dollars in deficits while placing tens of thousands of Americans in harm's way waging an overseas war that has nothing to do with counter-terrorism. And if you suggest that the money being squandered on this fruitless and counter productive war effort might be better spent on efforts to revive a sick economy and putting millions of displaced American workers back on the payroll, these "patriots" angrily accuse you of being an Al Qaeda wannabe. Is it time to break out the brown shirts yet?
For my money, Frankin is right on target with this one. To my way of thinking he is a true patriot because he openly goes against the grain of the "conventional" wisdom and questions the motives and integrity of the self-anointed political pundits, as well as exposing the sorry state of our current political leadership. And lest anyone has forgotten, in a democratic society the freedom to question our government is not only our right, it is also our responsibility. The day we forget that is the day we all give up our freedom.
This book is well worth reading regardless of whether your political leanings are to the left or the right. It is an easy read, it is humorous, and it is timely. And it should be read keeping in mind the principles on which this country was founded, not one's political party preference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly researched and well structured book., July 10 2004
S. Nayak (NY, United States) - See all my reviews
The title is merely an ironically humorous reference to the unethical and dishonest tactics that authors like Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter do use to support their claims. Don't let it mislead you into thinking that this book is either juvenile lacking in substance. In fact, it is one of the most well researched popular political books around. A team of 14 Harvard undergrads were the core of the fact checking and debating ("Team Franken"). Al Franken himself just makes it all a pleasant and humorous read.

I am not a flag-waving supporter of the left and try to use reason in understanding any debate. The thoroughness, accuracy and honesty Al Franken and "Team Franken" employed in preparing this book will surely help an unbiased individual in determining truth, especially when read alongside or compared with the works of Coulter, O'Reilly, etc.
Mr. Franken totally rips through the baselessness of those conservative media stars in a way that actually makes you a bit angry at them for their utter dishonesty and their apparent contempt towards their own reader base. This is certainly a must read for the openminded and unbiased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Massively entertaining if a little unsubstantial, July 10 2004
This is one of the most readable yet unsubstantial books I've read so far in the whole left vs right, liberal vs conservative wealth of literature emerging as we approach the November 2004 election. It is largely an anecdotal collection of amusing stories and bitter tyrades. Franken makes no excuses for the fact that he's basically a comedian, and his skill at tickling the funny bone shines through every chapter here; it's a very entertaining read. How seriously you can take it however is questionable. Franken devalues the significance of his more pointed questions and assertions here through his level of attack. There is certainly plenty here that warrants attention but it is best left to those more articulate and boring to speak in a way the right wing is more likely to accomodate. For a more serious read, pick up Ivins, Chomsky, even Moore. For a light-hearted romp through one of the most despised people on the left showing you why he is hated so much, and making you laugh along the way, this should do you. Those of you on the right won't have to try hard to find things to critizise here (always a easier choice then tackling some of the real questions and points which you'll also find here); those of us on the left will just enjoy the tales and the humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth is out there., July 6 2004
Stuart Winer (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
2500 people have reviewed this book. A significant fraction have torn it to pieces over minor details.. reading all the vicious, jabbering motormouths who've here is very strange.
Somehow there has to be a way to get beyond the he-said she-said sniping and mud-slinging and evaluate this book based on objective facts. I have no use for people who hate this book because there are typos in chapter 7, or more often, just 'it's full of lies' - all unspecified lies.
My sense is that Franken's detractors are mostly Limbaugh lemmings who will do no data or policy analysis on anything they might disagree with.
Now I believe that many subjects, like the war in Iraq, have not played themselves out yet.. There is no fixed data & it's too early to tell what the final story is.. Maybe Iraq's democracy will take root. It's possible. But the Bush administration's record and their legislative priorities & methods are as plain as day. The people who are gunning for Franken should defend Bush's record & stop pursuing the side-characters. They won't convince anyone of anything through these self-back-patting excersizes on Amazon.
For example, if Al says there are giant lakes of pig sh*t in West Virginia, someone should say why Bush supports this as good policy. Insulting Al & calling him a liberal says much more about the writer than about the book.
To be honest, I don't think the dittoheads here have read the book. I don't think they could logically debate the positions of the book - the substance, not the nitpicking details.
I think the right wing has become a cult-like institution. That's not hyperbole. really.. It's a cult of personality around Bush & Limbaugh & friends. If Cheney said that the earth was flat, millions of people out there would say..maybe he's right. (!)
God-willing I think they'll be defeated in the election. That will be wonderful, because these lemmings are insufferable. I'm looking forward to watching them eat crow in November, and then hopefully they will once again become independent and logical thinkers. It's better for them & better for us all.

Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right