5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Just didn't like it.
Because I've been waiting months for this book, I'd promised myself I'd read it slowly and savour it, becuase after I'm finished there's no more. As it turns out, I read all of Mockingjay the day I received it in the mail. As expected, it was excellent. As dreaded, I didn't like it.

Published on Aug. 30 2010 by L.Clair

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces but still worth a read...
Published on July 25 2011 by Toewser

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, and an ending that didn't feel like it fit the series., March 30 2012
I enjoy the first two books. I felt the third was rushed. It definitely took me longer to read, as it had less of my interest and attention. I didn't feel satisfied at the end. I felt upset and like I got hooked for a disappointment. The third book didn't seem to fit with the others, and I wonder if Suzanne rushed this last one. I was disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces but still worth a read..., July 25 2011
It was a modest finish for the Hunger Games saga. Since the novel is written in the first person, any action that occurs while Katniss is unconscious or missing from the event is not fully told. This results in a disjointed novel with large portions of the plot experienced in waiting as Katniss experiences them. On one hand, it is true to the series as a whole. It worked well for the previous two novels because Katniss was a main participant in all that occurred. However, in this book, one cannot help but feel cheated out of important events that would have resulted in a well rounded story.

Nevertheless, as a fan of the Hunger Games saga, this book is well worth the money and time. The reader just needs an avid imagination to fill in the rest of the blanks.

3.0 out of 5 stars too much doom and gloom, Sept. 25 2010
A. Jacques (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of the first 2 books of the hunger games and was very anxious to read the last book but it was so depressing all the way through. It's one negative thing after another. It's just too much sadness. Well, even after having read the other not so good reviews I wasn't expecting much and wasn't deterred because you pretty well have to finish a trilogy but I was disappointed. My heart still aches for a better third book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Just didn't like it., Aug. 30 2010
L.Clair (New York, USA) - See all my reviews

Suzanne seems to be one of those writers whose books get better and better with each installment. I thought Catching Fire was better than The Hunger Games, and Mockingjay is written even better than Catching Fire. After the end...you just have an unquenchable hunger for MORE that will never be satisfied, but that's okay, because it's the mark of a good series.

Despite all that, the problem with Mockingjay, (for me at least) is that it wasn't any fun to read at all.

Sure, it's intense, suspenseful, poignant, and it cuts to the action faster, but I missed Peeta; Katniss's usual spirited and brave demeanor was replaced by a "Who cares?" attitude, and while it might be completely justified, it wasn't any fun on the reader's part; the whole book hangs a downcast, depressing and overly serious tone; I hated the anticlimax.
In lieu of spoilers, I will not mention names, but a certain important character was somewhat randomly dropped off at the end. We weren't given any closure about his relationships with his fellow characters. May or may not leave you feeling cheated.

Another reviewer, on amazon.com I believe, called this book a work of "nihilistic anti-war propaganda;" in other words, Collins is biased into thinking that war is the most disgusting, horrible, and awful thing that ever existed. And while she's entitled to her opinions, especially when they are well-supported, it's untactful to try and force her readers into seeing things her way, instead of giving them the facts and allowing them to form their own opinions.
This seems to be the reason for much of the unnecessary tragic events that happen in this book, and why it's so depressing: the author is putting out propaganda to 'help' us see how very very bad war is, instead of giving us a balanced view of the reasons people go to war, and why it may or may not be the best way to solve a conflict.

Now, the end. We never expected a completely happy ending for a series like this one. We would have enjoyed a bittersweet ending thoroughly. But I think the downer ending was just overdoing it. Did the author purposely twist the ending to a level of heartwrenching sadness? Probably. Was it necessary? Hmmm.

So, the writing was intelligent and unique to its author. The plot was (excepting the anticlimax) tense, winding, and fast-paced, the action neverending. The characters, especially Katniss herself, were depthened even further. Despite that, I didn't like it, I'm sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes it was a painful read, to see the characters you love get ..., Oct. 3 2014
I'm really surprised by all the people in the comments complaining about the way this last book went. I'm not sure what kind of ending they really expected since Katnis has been thrown from one tragedy to another until she is broken. This is war, this is trauma. And i for one really appreciated that honest tone to the book. Yes it was dark, yes it was a painful read, to see the characters you love get smashed to bits inside and out till they have trouble even constructing a sense of identity. The reader must remember this is not a TV show, its not here to -entertain- you. The story is simply that, a story, one of love, and loss, and growth and it's not up to us to really judge what Katnis is. She may be a fictional character, but shes a metaphor for many real life experiences and I think that is beyond any whimsical expectation of entertainment.

Now that I'm done chastising the readers I will comment on the book itself:
I found it riveting, realistic, very sad, and above all, honest.I have PTSD and was shocked to find a book that touched on it's realistic consequences in ones life, and appreciated Katnises pain, in a way that others may not. I felt like her journey is an important one to understand in real life. The ability to piece yourself back together when what you love is lost, and what you wanted becomes more than what you wished for, and not in a good way.

I will speak to some of the other complains in the book. The end did seem rushed, and not much closure to the loss of important characters was given. I dont know if this is just bc its a story about Katnis specifically, or if this is a real flaw in the book. But i will say I did crave a little more in that.

The twists at the end are wonderful and terrifying and live up to the first 2 books

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.....a little let down., Sept. 15 2010
Book Worm (Moncton, NB Canada) - See all my reviews
I am a huge fan of the first two books. Not necessarily the best books i've EVER read, but definately the best books i've read in a long time. the third however, i'm not so sure about.

I don't have the same issues as alot of the other reviewers. I didn't expect a happy ending. But i did expect a more detailed ending. It seems like the author ran short on time and didn't get to develop the ending like it should have been done. Which, as i think about it, seems to be the problem with most of the book. It feels rushed. There were a few places where i was confused about who was who or couldn't imagine a scene based on her descriptions. I never had that problem while reading the first two.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, so it was the wonderful character and story development that got me hooked in the first place. That development is lacking in the last one.

I'm still recommending it to buy, if for no other reason, it finishes the trilogy. But, i have to admit, i'm feeling a little disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment after the first 2 excellent books, Dec 4 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This last book of the trilogy was a let down. Constant self questioning on the part of the heroine (instead of letting the reader do so), silly plot turns, and a speedy 5 page 5 year ending contributed to this disaster. Best to just read the first two fantastic books and imagine your own final saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ending to a unique series, Jan. 9 2012
I see many people complain that the ending was unsatisfying, but I personally loved it. For an original and epic story such as this one, the ending was just right. It was sad, of course, as most war stories are. But there was also a large element of hope, as the characters we've grown to love throughout the series find a way to live with the immense sorrow and ordeals they have suffered, and build a new life, with love and wisdom. This is only described briefly in the last few pages of the book, but it is enough.

In my opinion, had the ending been different (read: more optimistic and all-appealing), the series would not have had as much power, and as big an effect on the reader. These were very emotional and intense stories, so it only makes sense that the ending is as realistic as possible, without the absence of love and hope.

4.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ if you've read the others of the series!, Aug. 25 2010
SPOILER-FREE as long as you've read the first two books. (Just saying.)

Okay, going to be honest, this is not going to be an all-professional review where I analyze every aspect of it and blah blah blah. So here goes.

I found it very... capturing and interesting. All the chapters (as usual) end with a cliffhanger, so I was just constantly reading for the entire day trying to find out what would happen next. Throughout the entire series, I have become quite attached to the characters...so now it has left me quite sad after finishing the books. And I MISS them. That's a good thing, I would have to say, because it means that the author is good at creating the relationships between readers and the characters. But anyway, I'm not one to say things like, "This was DEFINITELY the best book of the series!" or things like that because if it's a good book, then I like it and I enjoy it. But basically, if you've read the other books in the series...I mean, you HAVE to find out what happens, right? Or who Katniss chooses? If the war will end? How it will end? And numerous other questions.

I think my only complaints about this book are that it was too short (can't be helped, though, I suppose), the ending, I'd have to say, did not end in my favor (can't be helped, either...), and that there were a lot of events throughout the book. I mean, in previous books, (and I'll use Catching Fire as an example) the main events in my opinion were the Victory tour, the idea of District 13 in existance, Peeta and Katniss being sent back into the Games, and the reveal of allies and that the rebellion has really started across the country. To me, these were the largest ideas/events. But in this book, there are either too many main events for me to even remember everything that's happened, or they're all too small for me to say in comparison to the rest of the story. If I was asked to name all the main events, I wouldn't be able to. I'll probably read this book again in the near future so that I can get a better grip and understanding on things. It's a little too busy, I guess you could say. So a lot of things happen in this book, but I guess that's what keeps it interesting! :D

So, my final words... If you've read the other books in the series, you HAVE to read it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. I'll be honest, depending on what your POV is on the other books in the series, you may not enjoy this book as much as the others, and I know that this book does not and will not satisfy everyone, but I still suggest you read it anyway. If you've never read this series before, and are thinking about it... well, you may regret reading reading this review because you now know everything important that will happen in the second book. If you don't remember what I said, don't go back and read it. I don't want to spoil it for you. (Again.) (But you can't say I didn't warn you! IT'S IN THE FIRST LINE.) So even though you may already know, but you haven't actually read the series, well then I EVEN HIGHLY-er RECOMMEND IT! It's a great series.

4/5
I (almost-)highly RECOMMEND THIS BOOK/THE SERIES. PERIOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mockingjay is FABULOUS., Feb. 24 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Just as like my Catching Fire review, this book is magnificent. People can argue about the ending, how it was "rushed" but I find she made it perfectly. She gave the reader a sense of what happened, how the "Star Crossed Lovers" ended up, and give freedom to the reader for some specific things. Not so much that it feels rushed, but amazing. The book is just as long as its predecessors 391 pgs. The book comes with many twists and turns, and has an extremely realistic ending. It is not your typical love story. Twilight is baloney, this is extremely well crafted, and a successful ending only adds to the experience. The ending is true to the characters, and very great. Like Catching Fire, the quality is amazing, nothing wrong with the pages or hard cover, slip cover was also not ripped. The book gets 5 STARS.

Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games
Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Audio CD - Aug. 24 2010)
CDN$ 43.99 CDN$ 27.58