5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Trilogy and Amazing Gift!
The box set includes 3 Hunger Games books - which is the complete set. This would be an amazing gift for any teenage girl or guy and even an adult who likes science fiction. These books have it all - action, drama, adventure, sci-fi, love, loyalty, friendship. All 3 books had me on the edge of my seat, flipping and reading the pages as fast as i can.

The books...
Published on Dec 2 2010 by Cozy Evenings with a Book

2.0 out of 5 stars elaborate but unrealistic
Published 16 months ago by Joe Boudreault

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Trilogy and Amazing Gift!, Dec 2 2010
This review is from: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Box Set) (Hardcover)

The books are about a teenage girl, Katniss, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country Panem which is controlled by one government and one president. Her world is very different from ours as Panem consists of 12 districts and they're basically like little towns or little cities. All 12 are controlled by district 1 which has the most food, money, power and comfort. District 12 is the worst - the people there live in extreme poverty, have no money or help from anyone and life is hard. To keep everyone in their "rightful" place, district 1 hosts Hunger Games every year which is a game that is broadcasted on television in every district. Hunger Games work like this - 1 boy and 1 girl is chosen at a random draw from each district to participate, they're then transported to district 1, the capitol, to play the game. The game is hosted in a man-made environment, like a little forest for example, and there are a lot of traps everywhere. The goal for the participants is to kill each other, and the last one standing is crowned the winner. The winner gets food and gets to live in a better house. The point of the Hunger Games is for the capitol to demonstrate that even children are not above the law. District 12 almost never wins since the children there are hungry and weak, and mostly District 1 and 2 win the games since the kids there have plenty of food and healthcare.

The only difference is that the rich districts (1,2,3) children just want to win for pleasure but the poor districts (12, 11, 10) they fight for food.

Katniss, is not chosen for this year's Hunger Games, instead her only sister is, who is very young. Katniss volunteers to take her place in the games, and that's how the story begins.

The idea is horrifying, I have chills just writing about it and thinking back to reading the books. I already gave this set to a friend of mine and she finished the 1st book and absolutely loved it. This is a great gift or just buy it for yourself. I am planning to go back and re-read the trilogy in some time, it's just amazing. The story is very well written, you can easily picture the sounds and the smells - the characters are written out very well with great detail. The action and drama scenes are so intense that you will hold your breath and shed a tear - it feels like you're right there in the middle of all of this. Get the set, read it, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A total riot., Nov. 3 2010
Kristin Matte (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Box Set) (Hardcover)
I read all three books in under two weeks while at home with strep-throat.

I was very quickly intrigued by the main character, and liked her immediately.

From there, I just could not read the books fast enough, I needed to know what happened next.

I love that the female protagonist is essentially the age of a high-school senior, but is brilliant, strong-willed and lethal. She's no passive debutante. Any person who has had to struggle in their life, especially as a child or young adult, can appreciate the way that forms you as a person. How it can make you a little hard.

Apparently these books are classified as "young adult" but I got a real kick out of them, and I'm not a young adult. I'm merely "adult." I mean, the stories are quite violent. More so than many adult science fiction novels I've read.

Unapologetic. Action heavy. Great characters. An absolute riot.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger Games, Jan. 19 2011
judy (clinton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Box Set) (Hardcover)
This series has made it through our family of 6 and their spouses. It is now being shared with the in-laws and their families. Best to buy the boxed set as you won't be able to stop after the first book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger Games Trilogy, Feb. 1 2012
This review is from: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Box Set) (Hardcover)
My sister and I read the first book after a mutual friend loaned it to us, and we loved it so much we decided to buy the trilogy set so that we had the books for when our children get a little older and are interested in reading them. Great story line, much different from the usual kinds lately out there. We are looking forward to the movie coming out and hope that the producers do it justice and keep it true to the book. It is a story line that makes you "hungry for more" on the characters and the tradgedies and triumps that take place in their life. Very much worth buying and reading!

2.0 out of 5 stars elaborate but unrealistic, March 30 2014
Joe Boudreault (Hanover, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read the trilogy, but the first book is the main one of interest. I was unable to seriously engage with the story – it comes across as an elaborate, unrealistic dating game - so I may be overly biased here. We know the theme: combatants in an arena who have drawn lots to win the right to avoid chronic hunger under an oppressive dictatorship in a futuristic dystopic America.

Collins shows that she can write, but can she tell a good story? I think not. There are too many problems with this trilogy to be considered a good piece of fiction. For starters, she has not given us enough backstory to show the relationship between Katniss (the main character) with her younger sister Prim, or with their father. And there are no descriptions on what it is like to be genuinely hungry – hence a motivation for risking life and limb in the deadly arena. This is crucial, but it is missing. Then there is the problem with Katniss and her arrows: they can, it seems, overcome anything in what is a high-technology holo-game setting. That's too much of a stretch. Collins, I think, simply loves playing with this odd mixture of swords and sorcery, in which archery and spears and outback wit are pitted against the malevolent desires of sadistic gamesters . There’s too much ‘Survivor’ showing here.

With more than 1,000 pages of narration in the trilogy, there are only about 40-50 pages of actual hunger game action. Those combat scenes work very good, of course, and there are some surprises. Yet this is a mashed-up tale of a young rebellious woman who can't make up her mind, who doesn't know who she cares about. Not surprising, as she is "a soldier who won't take orders". I found it difficult to sympathize with her. But Collins just drags it out, violating the prime directive of good drama: there must be continuing tension and building of conflict and some character development. Heaven help us, she has her protagonist Katniss tell us that she is not one for clothing or fancy food, and then she goes on and on at great boring lengths describing make-up, clothing and banquets. And why no revolution until 75 years have passed?

The most realistic character by far is Haymitch, and his story is the most interesting one. This is the Roman gladiator games with a touch of medieval-cum-modern battle and an unrealistic love triangle thrown in. I advise young female readers not to waste their valuable reading time here. On the other hand, the movie is decent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hero for the Ages, Jan. 17 2013
S. Lerner (Toronto, On) - See all my reviews
I'm not a book reader but I was intrigued by the movie. The style of writing targets a teenage audience and flows well. The movie's perspective is 3rd person narrative. The trilogy, however, reads like a personal diary. We find out what is going on in Katniss's head. The movie tends to shorten or speed up the action, whereas by reading her personal account we can really experience the full 3-4 week duration of the first hunger games contest. Here is a person of unimaginable courage, yet throughout her adventures remains sincere and modest. She is a fiercely independent thinker. She has a conscience. She does not want to take lives gratuitously or indescriminately. But she does not hesitate to kill if she has to. What sets her apart is that she's not politically ambitious. She has no political agenda other than a desire to end tyranny (the totalitarian state) and mitigate the excessive exploitation of class disparity. What fascinated me was how different political groups kept trying to use her as a "symbol" without realising that she actually was as great as the "legend" she was supposed to be portraying. Only in the fullness of time in the history of Panem would people look back and recognise her for who she was and how monumental was her impact on Panem's history. An impact as great as Joan of Arc's but virtually without any religious references whatsoever. For that matter, the entire issue of sexuality was also left out of the picture, which at times became hard to accept for a young woman of 16, 17, 18 years of age. There is always an air of nobility about her, her courage, her sense of self-sacrifice. Of course, the novels drive home the reality of all the mental confusion, anxiety as well as guilt that envelope her thoughts, all of which we only get a glimpe of in the film(s). The ending (Mockinjay) is particularly significant because it does not break with, in any way, how her character has developed throughout her ordeals. And it is an ending befitting to a heroine of the highest order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Even If Not The Target Demographic, April 14 2013
I had the opportunity to purchase the complete Hunger Games Trilogy for the low price of five dollars on Amazon.ca a few weeks ago, so I thought "Why not?" If only to see what the buzz about the novels were, even though I'm not really the target demographic.

I found the series to be a very easy read of a dystopian society set in the not so distant future. If you take two of the Bachman books, "The Running Man" and "The Long Walk" and make a hybrid of them for teen readers you will end up with "The Hunger Games Trilogy". The themes of the book; starvation, oppression and eventually, revolution are disturbing topics for young adult readers and Suzanne Collins taps into the psyche of her characters very well.

The series is well written, with the exception of a few chapters and has a nice pace to it. I would recommend it if you are a fan of dystopian fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars hungry for more, Jan. 30 2011
This review is from: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Box Set) (Hardcover)
I was given book one to read from a friend and was hooked so purchased the set. I checked the mail continuously until the product arrived and didn't lift my nose out of the books until I had completed the final two!

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the book and don't watch the movie, Nov. 7 2014
Well...I wasn't sure about the book as I started it.. I had not read too many books with a teenage girl as the heroine..
As it turned out I couldn't put the books down ..It is very exciting...the taste in my mouth at the end of the trilogy was ...I just read something a teenage girl would read..I liked it ..didn't love it.. I think I made the mistake of watching the DVD...It was not true to the book and that brought the whole thing down a notch for me... I did not care for the movie at all...poor acting by the lead..nothing at all like the book described her..and anybody but the stereotyped Woody Harrelson...please
John

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the movies more., Nov. 30 2014
Ualaa - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Box Set) (Hardcover)
This trilogy is geared towards the young adult reader. The language is easy to understand and follow. The size and style of the font made for an easy and enjoyable reading experience.

I picked up the series, having recently seen the first of the movies and being curious to see where it was going... without having to wait a year for the next movie to come out.
The story is entertaining, both on the big screen and within the books.

I removed a star, because I prefer a somewhat more complex plot with more convoluted twists and turns. For the target audience, the writing style and plot type is superb.

The Hunger Games Trilogy (Box Set)
The Hunger Games Trilogy (Box Set) by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - Aug. 24 2010)
CDN$ 59.97 CDN$ 38.72