Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on March 9, 2012
This is a very nice box set of the hunger games. The books are very good, They tell a very serious story set in a post-apocalyptic world. There is only a small portion of the world left, ay least as far as we know, and it consist of 12 districts and the capitol. The capitol has gotten on their high horse and is punishing the districts for the starting a war before. They use scare tactics, have each district completely isolated from the others, and control their food levels to keep them down, in additon, they have the Hunger games. A yearly contest where every district have to send one girl and one boy to fight to the death in a grissly robinson type game.

This story, while set far off, or maybe not so far at all, is still relevant today. It's a universal theme of bullying, control and rising against the corrupt authority.
The main character, Katniss is lovable in all her normalsy. She isn't the classical heroine, all pretty and multi talented and the purest, sweets thing since jesus. But a normal girl with her talents and her flaws, she's easy to relate too. Her struggle to survive and to break free of all the people who want to use her is important to everyone of us, it shows that the world isnæt all black and white, not even in such an extreme example as this. Even as they're fighting against the capitol, obviously a corrupt and horrible state, you realize that just because the state is corrupt and evil, does that make the small people living in it equally guilty. And where does the line from fighting rightfully to free yourself go, and when are you as bad as the ones you are freeing yourself from? This line is illustrated clearly when they have a vote on whether they shall arrange a last hunger games for the children of the capitol.

This story has useful morale on many levels, from the obvious fight against, oppression, and which guy do you choose, to the less in your face: when do we turn into the bad guys. Where do the line go?
on November 28, 2011
On it's own, this first book is a knock out. The ease of readability is comparabe to that of Harry Potter. You blink, and find yourself already 20 pages in. It's such an engrossing read that even non book worms will find it irresistable. Despite it's horrible subject and violence, the heroine of the trilogy is averse to using violence unless absolutely necessary. I work in a book store and have seen the cross generational appeal that makes this book so popular. No, it's not good for any child under the age of 10-12, but I've seen adults in their 40s pick this up. There are times when I felt this story could have used a little more time in the editing room. I had a friend who found it on predictable side too. Still, as a 32 year old male who watches but doesnt read sci-fi/fantasty- I loved this book and series. For so little for this paperback, it's WORTH taking a chance to realize this book isn't JUST hype as I previously thought.
on April 14, 2013
I had the opportunity to purchase the complete Hunger Games Trilogy for the low price of five dollars on a few weeks ago, so I thought "Why not?" If only to see what the buzz about the novels were, even though I'm not really the target demographic.

I found the series to be a very easy read of a dystopian society set in the not so distant future. If you take two of the Bachman books, "The Running Man" and "The Long Walk" and make a hybrid of them for teen readers you will end up with "The Hunger Games Trilogy". The themes of the book; starvation, oppression and eventually, revolution are disturbing topics for young adult readers and Suzanne Collins taps into the psyche of her characters very well.

The series is well written, with the exception of a few chapters and has a nice pace to it. I would recommend it if you are a fan of dystopian fiction.
on November 7, 2014
Well...I wasn't sure about the book as I started it.. I had not read too many books with a teenage girl as the heroine..
As it turned out I couldn't put the books down ..It is very exciting...the taste in my mouth at the end of the trilogy was ...I just read something a teenage girl would read..I liked it ..didn't love it.. I think I made the mistake of watching the DVD...It was not true to the book and that brought the whole thing down a notch for me... I did not care for the movie at all...poor acting by the lead..nothing at all like the book described her..and anybody but the stereotyped Woody Harrelson...please
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 30, 2014
This trilogy is geared towards the young adult reader. The language is easy to understand and follow. The size and style of the font made for an easy and enjoyable reading experience.

I picked up the series, having recently seen the first of the movies and being curious to see where it was going... without having to wait a year for the next movie to come out.
The story is entertaining, both on the big screen and within the books.

I removed a star, because I prefer a somewhat more complex plot with more convoluted twists and turns. For the target audience, the writing style and plot type is superb.
on December 18, 2011
These books were pretty good. Definitely a light teen read. I normally read more in depth books with much more adult content, but it's nice sometimes to just sit down to a quick and easy read, not to much thinking involved. I think its simplicity is one of the main reasons it will translate into a movie really well.

The story line is certainly interesting and different, sometimes predictable and juvenile, but it is in teen after all!

Overall, pretty good books, and I think it will make a great movie next year.
on February 1, 2014
Good read overall - disappointed in 3rd book. 2nd is best of the trilogy. movies doesn't do it justice. .
on April 16, 2013
I couldn't put these books down. Surprises at every turn, with a heroine that I pitied, identified with and even disliked at times. An epic struggle through the worst of human nature and frailty, with a bit of hope and healing in the end.
on March 24, 2013
Met and went past what was expected. Suzanne brought to light a dimenion of a life that could really exist. Frome page to page you wonder who will die next and what will be the final out come.
We need more authors of this calliber.
on February 17, 2013
Besides the moralizing tone (a teen love triangle with no sex?), this was a great read. The characters are well developed, the plot twists and turns, and it's anti-capitalist/imperialist/colonialist to boot.