march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 18, 2011
These books were pretty good. Definitely a light teen read. I normally read more in depth books with much more adult content, but it's nice sometimes to just sit down to a quick and easy read, not to much thinking involved. I think its simplicity is one of the main reasons it will translate into a movie really well.

The story line is certainly interesting and different, sometimes predictable and juvenile, but it is in teen after all!

Overall, pretty good books, and I think it will make a great movie next year.
on March 5, 2014
I'd been skeptical of this series, but after watching the Catching Fire film earlier this year, I thought - maybe this won't be so bad. The first film/book were okay. The second is definitely best. The third book took a bit of effort to get through and I definitely didn't enjoy it as much. There were times when I was speed reading just to get from one point to the next.
Personally, I hope that authors get off this first person kick. I prefer third. Hate spending an entire trilogy in one character's POV.
on October 8, 2014
I liked this book and found myself eager to keep reading on, but I could not relate to Katniss. I really wanted to like her but I found her distant and a little too manipulative. I preferred Peeta as he seemed to have more empathy toward people. This is a nice read as a social commentary about a world where people are obsessed about their looks and status. A good classroom resource. I would have given it a 5 star if I had been able to like the main protagonist more than I did. A well written story.
on August 25, 2010
SPOILER-FREE as long as you've read the first two books. (Just saying.)

Okay, going to be honest, this is not going to be an all-professional review where I analyze every aspect of it and blah blah blah. So here goes.

I found it very... capturing and interesting. All the chapters (as usual) end with a cliffhanger, so I was just constantly reading for the entire day trying to find out what would happen next. Throughout the entire series, I have become quite attached to the characters...so now it has left me quite sad after finishing the books. And I MISS them. That's a good thing, I would have to say, because it means that the author is good at creating the relationships between readers and the characters. But anyway, I'm not one to say things like, "This was DEFINITELY the best book of the series!" or things like that because if it's a good book, then I like it and I enjoy it. But basically, if you've read the other books in the series...I mean, you HAVE to find out what happens, right? Or who Katniss chooses? If the war will end? How it will end? And numerous other questions.

I think my only complaints about this book are that it was too short (can't be helped, though, I suppose), the ending, I'd have to say, did not end in my favor (can't be helped, either...), and that there were a lot of events throughout the book. I mean, in previous books, (and I'll use Catching Fire as an example) the main events in my opinion were the Victory tour, the idea of District 13 in existance, Peeta and Katniss being sent back into the Games, and the reveal of allies and that the rebellion has really started across the country. To me, these were the largest ideas/events. But in this book, there are either too many main events for me to even remember everything that's happened, or they're all too small for me to say in comparison to the rest of the story. If I was asked to name all the main events, I wouldn't be able to. I'll probably read this book again in the near future so that I can get a better grip and understanding on things. It's a little too busy, I guess you could say. So a lot of things happen in this book, but I guess that's what keeps it interesting! :D

So, my final words... If you've read the other books in the series, you HAVE to read it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. I'll be honest, depending on what your POV is on the other books in the series, you may not enjoy this book as much as the others, and I know that this book does not and will not satisfy everyone, but I still suggest you read it anyway. If you've never read this series before, and are thinking about it... well, you may regret reading reading this review because you now know everything important that will happen in the second book. If you don't remember what I said, don't go back and read it. I don't want to spoil it for you. (Again.) (But you can't say I didn't warn you! IT'S IN THE FIRST LINE.) So even though you may already know, but you haven't actually read the series, well then I EVEN HIGHLY-er RECOMMEND IT! It's a great series.

4/5
I (almost-)highly RECOMMEND THIS BOOK/THE SERIES. PERIOD.
on January 4, 2016
After watching the third movie, I couldn't wait to see how the story ends so finally dove into the trilogy. I loved the stories, of course, but I can see why the third novel was split into two books--the writing style became much more distant in that book as it seemed the author was trying to fit so much into one volume. It was also interesting to see how a novel written in first person present tense about events that impacted an entire society was translated to the screen.
on May 28, 2012
The Hunger Games Trilogy is one of the best i've read yet. It has inspirational characters and a story line unlike any other. It has such originallity and passion I couldn't tear myself away until I was finished. These books are great. I reccomend buying the box set as it is cheaper and you will also have all of the books ready and available when you finish one. Which believe me is a gift in itself as they are so undeniable.
I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.
on April 4, 2014
Oh my goodness!! I purchased the box set for my 12 year old twin daughters and they have not been able to put the books down. Last Sunday, I confiscated the ones they have not read as yet because they're neglecting to do their homework. I feel terrible because reading is so important for elementary shcool children, but my kids are obsessed with these books. I haven't told them yet but once the DVD triology comes out, I'll consider purchasing it. I give it five stars.
on April 15, 2012
This is an awesome trilogy I personally believe this could easily be the next harry potter in terms of the next big thing. Suzanne creates a world where capitalism and distortion run north america into an absolutely thrilling series with twists and turns at every corner. Id be the first to admit Im not the best at predicting what will happen in books but this is an adventure that makes you not want to put the book down until youre finished. DEFINSTELY A MUST READ!!!
on June 1, 2012
I'd heard my colleagues at work go on about these books and how much they enjoyed them but just wasn't drawn to them - until I saw the Hunger Games film. As soon as the film was over, I went directly to the bookstore, brought them home and devoured all three books in a week.

While the premise of kids killing kids for adults' entertainment is certainly disturbing, there's much, much more complexity to the story. Think "Lord of the Flies" meets "1984."
I absolutely loved these books. I was skeptical at first but once I opened the cover to the hunger games, I didn't close it until the mocking jay was done! It was filled with mystery and thought provoking situations and it may even make you cry. So thrilled that I got these for Christmas.
When I find a good story, I am awful for re-reading them and these will definitely be on the night table for a while.
Excellent!