countdown Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle boutiques-francophones Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 21, 2014
Draws you in. Kept finding myself way too tired but compelled to keep reading. Found that the author, Suzanne Collins, she has an acute understanding of human nature, on both individual and group scales. The world presented seems (to me) fairly different than our own in many areas (though still in ways eerily like ours), yet the characters' motivations, reactions, and reasoning are heartbreakingly realistic reactions to the setting and events.

Most importantly, makes you think. I like works that make you think, the more difficult, grey, or even uncomfortable, the better.
on April 15, 2012
Although these books were written for the younger generation, they do appeal to all ages. If you are looking for a really good read with lots of surprises and believable fantasy, this it it! Having seen the first movie "The Hunger Games" before reading the book, I anticipate the sequels to be as good or even better now that I have read all three books. The only downfall is, of course, that it will likely be a while before I find another book(s) as intriguing as this series. On the upside, as an added bonus, I got the best price anywhere from Amazon.ca (included free shipping too).
on March 27, 2009
I stumbled across this book by accident and decided to read something that I would normally pass on - science fiction for teens. However, the reviews were intriguing and I was in the mood for a good page-turner. And, I was not disappointed. This is a guaranteed good read. I made the book last for three evenings, but truthfully, I could have gobbled it down in one afternoon. It's original, compelling, and endearing. I found the naming a little awkward, but I loved the heroine, Katniss, regardless of her name. I was thrilled to see that the author is planning a second book.
on April 26, 2012
We bought this Hunger Games Trilogy Box Set for our Daughters 15th Birthday. After receiving 3 copies of the War Horse Movie (2 DVD & 1 Blue Ray/DVD 4CD PK) from friends and her oldest brother, crying as she received each one, we handed her this gift last and the tears of joy and surprise ran down her face again. Samantha declared between the tears that they were the hard cover edition, she won't take them to school because she doesn't want to damage them. This was one of the best gifts we have ever given her to receive such a thankful response.
on February 14, 2012
On recommendation from an office co-worker, I ordered the trilogy set to read while on vacation. I didn't think this would be my kind of typical reading but was pleasantly surprised and found that I couldn't put the books down so consequently, finished all 3 while on holidays. My only slight disappointment, was the ending in the third book. It was okay, but I felt the author brought it to a close very quickly instead of her usual style in the preceeding books. Overall, I was not disappointed and would recommend the set.
on February 10, 2014
It was great to have all three books on my Kindle - there was no lapse in reading.

I enjoyed reading it because the complexity of the players were revealed.
on December 18, 2011
These books were pretty good. Definitely a light teen read. I normally read more in depth books with much more adult content, but it's nice sometimes to just sit down to a quick and easy read, not to much thinking involved. I think its simplicity is one of the main reasons it will translate into a movie really well.

The story line is certainly interesting and different, sometimes predictable and juvenile, but it is in teen after all!

Overall, pretty good books, and I think it will make a great movie next year.
on March 5, 2014
I'd been skeptical of this series, but after watching the Catching Fire film earlier this year, I thought - maybe this won't be so bad. The first film/book were okay. The second is definitely best. The third book took a bit of effort to get through and I definitely didn't enjoy it as much. There were times when I was speed reading just to get from one point to the next.
Personally, I hope that authors get off this first person kick. I prefer third. Hate spending an entire trilogy in one character's POV.
on October 8, 2014
I liked this book and found myself eager to keep reading on, but I could not relate to Katniss. I really wanted to like her but I found her distant and a little too manipulative. I preferred Peeta as he seemed to have more empathy toward people. This is a nice read as a social commentary about a world where people are obsessed about their looks and status. A good classroom resource. I would have given it a 5 star if I had been able to like the main protagonist more than I did. A well written story.
on August 25, 2010
SPOILER-FREE as long as you've read the first two books. (Just saying.)

Okay, going to be honest, this is not going to be an all-professional review where I analyze every aspect of it and blah blah blah. So here goes.

I found it very... capturing and interesting. All the chapters (as usual) end with a cliffhanger, so I was just constantly reading for the entire day trying to find out what would happen next. Throughout the entire series, I have become quite attached to the characters...so now it has left me quite sad after finishing the books. And I MISS them. That's a good thing, I would have to say, because it means that the author is good at creating the relationships between readers and the characters. But anyway, I'm not one to say things like, "This was DEFINITELY the best book of the series!" or things like that because if it's a good book, then I like it and I enjoy it. But basically, if you've read the other books in the series...I mean, you HAVE to find out what happens, right? Or who Katniss chooses? If the war will end? How it will end? And numerous other questions.

I think my only complaints about this book are that it was too short (can't be helped, though, I suppose), the ending, I'd have to say, did not end in my favor (can't be helped, either...), and that there were a lot of events throughout the book. I mean, in previous books, (and I'll use Catching Fire as an example) the main events in my opinion were the Victory tour, the idea of District 13 in existance, Peeta and Katniss being sent back into the Games, and the reveal of allies and that the rebellion has really started across the country. To me, these were the largest ideas/events. But in this book, there are either too many main events for me to even remember everything that's happened, or they're all too small for me to say in comparison to the rest of the story. If I was asked to name all the main events, I wouldn't be able to. I'll probably read this book again in the near future so that I can get a better grip and understanding on things. It's a little too busy, I guess you could say. So a lot of things happen in this book, but I guess that's what keeps it interesting! :D

So, my final words... If you've read the other books in the series, you HAVE to read it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. I'll be honest, depending on what your POV is on the other books in the series, you may not enjoy this book as much as the others, and I know that this book does not and will not satisfy everyone, but I still suggest you read it anyway. If you've never read this series before, and are thinking about it... well, you may regret reading reading this review because you now know everything important that will happen in the second book. If you don't remember what I said, don't go back and read it. I don't want to spoil it for you. (Again.) (But you can't say I didn't warn you! IT'S IN THE FIRST LINE.) So even though you may already know, but you haven't actually read the series, well then I EVEN HIGHLY-er RECOMMEND IT! It's a great series.

4/5
I (almost-)highly RECOMMEND THIS BOOK/THE SERIES. PERIOD.