Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

on July 11, 2013
I purchased this series for my son, who's an avid reader. He read all the books in one week, and started reading them again, he enjoyed them so much. Highly recommended.
on June 6, 2013
Great serie! If you loved the movie you'll love the books! The boxset is practical and beautiful, i loved it!
on May 1, 2013
Great Read for the little ones.....Great Read for the little ones.....Great Read for the little ones.....Great Read for the little ones.....
on April 24, 2013
I bought this set of books becauseof reviews i had read.I was not dissapointed.They are a great read from start to finish.
on March 28, 2013
Good read, good series, good characters...books are just that...’good’.
Unfortunately it dragged out and I lost my interest a bit. First book was good, made you want to read the second...then it just started declining on the intrigue scale. Glad it was only a trilogy and not a continued series.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
As many know, I don't readily give out 5-star reviews. In this case I'm compelled to do so. Why, when this isn't a literary series of books, but rather genre fiction? Because Suzanne Collins clearly demonstrates mastery of her craft, and by virtue of that talent she deserves high accolades.

If I had to use one word to summarize The Hunger Games trilogy it would be riveting. It isn't often a writer creates plot and characters so real, so compelling, I am haunted by them throughout both waking and dreaming hours.

Although the premise is simple: evil overlord/government reigns through tyranny, oppression and manipulation, it's this latter, Collins weaves so deftly through her story and thereby creates screaming tension and sense of outrage.

The language throughout is simple, conversational, written in first person present tense, not an easy feat, but certainly one done so deftly as a reader this literary device slides by almost unnoticed. And yet it is the use of first person, present tense which enhances the immediacy of the story. Like the children who are forced to participate in the killing-field of the Hunger Games, the reader is held suspended in the now, aware of the horror of the past, and the promise of only more horror to come. And although Collins periodically weaves in a moment of hope, they are so fleeting as to be like sunlight through storm clouds, and because of that poignant.

Simple moments become moments of import, both terrible and glorious. She has a way of setting up her reader, and then not only pulling out the rug, but the floor, collapsing the walls, leaving you wounded in rubble.

If you haven't already found yourself caught up in the hype around The Hunger Games I can assure you the trilogy is well worth the time and emotion you will expend.

I have every confidence this series will be studied in classrooms alongside other SF greats like The Lord of the Flies, 1984, and Brave New World.
on March 17, 2013
This series is one that I have read cover to cover numerous times. Not for the violence and gore, though there is lots of that, the trial and tribulations that these people face relate to today's world in the sense of how we take so much for granted and so few think as to the origins of products and what living conditions are suffered.
on March 6, 2013
This was an incredible series that I had been looking at for a while and finally picked up to read. It was great to have all the books readily available with no waiting to start the next book. The price was good and the delivery was fast. I highly recommend the product to anyone.
on March 5, 2013
Enjoy these books and have read them numerous times at this point
Looking forward to them being interpreted on to the big screen and really hope they stay as true to the books as possible
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 19, 2013
I've delayed writing this review for months in the hope that time would soften my disappointment. I really, truly wished to like this series (despite the hype) and reading book 1 it seemed I would get my wish.... Alas, it was not to be....

Book 1: Book one started with a bang. We meet our heroine Katniss - she is simple, honest and ultimately good - she sacrifices herself to save her beloved sister. She is not perfect - her personality can be abrasive and she is a little too honest to play politics and games... at least at first. All-in-all, book 1 flew by, well written and well crafted. We see the characters begin to grow, and we mourn with them when they lose things that are dear to them. Rating: 5/5

Book 2: Essentially a rehash of book 1 in my view. Ultimately, I believe the author couldn't find anything to build on after the success of book 1. Slow, but still worth reading. Rating 4/5

Book 3: Utter disappointment. This book destroyed the entire series for me. The author takes the easy way out. I can't say much without spoiling this for potential readers, but Katniss takes a major step back in terms of character development. "Choices" aren't really made as if the author herself cannot bear to choose. The ending feels rushed as if the author was a high-school student pulling an all nighter to complete an essay in time for class. Events don't all make sense.... and many seem just pointless. I, as the reader, was left wondering what had happened.... and if the book was written by a ghostwriter (because honestly there was nothing of the well crafted book in this. Rating 1/5