5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cook-Book Ever

Published 12 months ago by J. Young

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cook-Book Ever, Dec 4 2012
Patrick Gagnon (Saint-Eustache, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Any Skill & Living the Good Life (Hardcover)
Tim Ferriss' enticing new book, the 4-Hour Chef, is THE-BEST-Cook-Book Ever. Makes a man out of you and chef out of every man. It's graphically awesome and chockful of tips, from impressing a girl with your cooking to saving her life by surviving in the wild. A must read for anyone who wants to learn how to learn, be it about cooking, life or just living an adventure from cover to cover.

2.0 out of 5 stars A cook book for the days you forget to take your ADHD meds, March 25 2013
J. Young - See all my reviews
As someone with severe ADHD reading this book made my brain ache, it's informative, insightful, witty and a complete unmitigated mess. The literary version of a having a migraine while being locked in a drum and a very angry person with a hammer trying to open it all at the same time....maddening. Whoever edited, and copy wrote this should take less psychotropic substances while doing their job....

So it starts at the beginning( I am still not sure how I made it past page 100 but I was intrigued) with a foundation on the authors approach to learning disparate skills using compressed learning. Ok great I like learning new things too, why not double dip. The anecdotal detours can be a little odd but have a point...then we get a warning "other cook books start by telling you to buy all this expensive crap you shouldn't have to buy"(paraphrased) and then proceeds to tell you the authors approved and essential list of expensive things he wants you to buy( with some alternatives that can be considered economical) and the list comes at quite a hefty sum once you add it all up(500$ blender, 400$ sous vide bath, 150$ knife,) it was a little much, not for me I personally had most of the items already, it was the hypocrisy it was just not needed and left a bad feeling.....

And that feeling was justified by the ENTIRE "Wild" section, I bought what I thought was at its base a guide to help me be a better cook, maybe a healthier one...what use would I have with an entire section devoted to outdoor survival, firearms, legal explosives, hunting knives, along with the varied ways to kill small fowl with my bare hands, and how to eviscerate and quarter my very own freshly shot deer!!!!! And where I need to go to find said deer and which gun I should shoot them with.....it became a little surreal at this point....then the last section swung firmly back to fine dining, like I just hadn't read "how to catch a pigeon in the city and totally not kill it, but here's a guide on how to dismember and rip it apart WITH MY ONLY MY THUMBS!!!!!!!" WTF!!!!!

The cooking part was ok, if brief and a little condescending...but what the rest of it was I am still puzzled, did he want me to buy an arsenal and move to the forest to feast on freshly killed woodland creatures as part of becoming a better chef???? My head hurts...

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed the mark, Sept. 7 2013
I read his first book (4 hr work week) which made me curious about his second. I have to say this one appeared as though he was going through the motions. A lot of generalizing surprisingly little substance.

No revelations in this one...time back, I'd take a pass!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Dec 16 2012
The 4-Hour Chef is a great and massive book, but just like The 4-Hour Body, it's often filled with stories that won't really help you in any shape or form and only serve to make the book look much longer than it actually is.

The advices are amazing, mind you. They're comprehensive, simple, and really easy to follow, but I felt like there was still a lot of fluff talk and the book could've easily been 100 or 200 pages shorter without losing anything of value.

Would definetly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for learning how to learn something quickly., Dec 3 2012
I'll make it short and sweet. I love how Tim gives you methods(not one, but a few) to learning things faster than you ever thought possible. At first I didn't care too much about cooking being the medium he chose to deliver the message, however, after learning some of the "shortcuts", I can say I'm hooked on the "better cooking through better learning" concept. I plan to use his methods to learn other things in quick fashion. If it works half as well as I think it will, then I know I got more than my money's worth. If not, I still got my money's worth, as the recipes are all quick and easy. Either way, I consider it a win-win for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book - more than just cooking, April 10 2013
Timothy Ferriss has put together an interesting and useful book with great ideas, recipes, and advice tied together with funny text. I have made about a dozen of the recipes as a amateur cook, and all were simple and quick- pretty much everything has turned out great. I strongly recommend the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, motivational, Dec 11 2012
Very interesting book, covering far more than just cooking. It is basically "how to be good at anything, using cooking as an example". It is hard not to be motivated after reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Hour Chef - Christmas x639, Dec 3 2012
This book is visually stunning, easy to read, endlessly entertaining, easy to navigate and contains a ton of immediately useful information. A must read and a 'must keep it handy' kind of book. I've already put a clear plastic film on the book to protect my investment.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, March 15 2014
Extremely helpful . If you are interested in meta learning this book is a pure gold ! Highly recommend . The only thing I regret is that I didn't buy it earlier...

4.0 out of 5 stars I can cook!, Jan. 18 2014
Nice and simple recipes, easy to follow along, and some unexpected bonus extras in the book . I love !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›