Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on July 22, 2001
After hearing so much about Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, I decided to give it a try. I mean, I REALLY like parodies, and I'm always on the lookout for new ones. Unfortunately, Terry's first book was VERY disappointing. I've read funnier scenes in SERIOUS fantasy novels (Tyrion Lannister from A Game of Thrones anyone?); the spoofs in this book are just plain dumb. But that's not all that miffs me about this first book. If you ask me, this book was half-baked. All the characters do is wander around AIMLESSLY through Discworld. I have not the foggiest idea WHY they are going where they're going. Many of you compare Pratchett to Douglas Adams. You are mostly right in making that statement. Both are English, both write parodies, both of their books have strange storylines and characters. But the MAJOR difference between Adams and Pratchett is this: Douglas Adams can make you laugh, Terry Pratchett can not. I laughed my head off at the end of Adams's The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Not so with this book. Come on people! What is so funny about a thousand-footed Luggage walking around? Even Disney cartoons can do that! One other thing that really shocked me was this: Terry Pratchett is English, right, and there is NOT ONE poem in this whole "parody?" Douglas Adams has poetry in his parodies. So did Bored of the Rings. How can you have a parody without poetry? It's like a guitar without strings. And because it is supposed to be a parody, it doesn't mean that I expect Pratchett to rhyme like Tolkien or anything. Before you start reaching for the "No" button, let me ask you this: Have you read Silverlock by John Myers Myers, have you read Bored of the Rings, have you read anything by Douglas Adams? Terry Pratchett's later books might be better, but this first book was PATHETIC.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2001
After reading several books from the series, I decided to obtain the very first book and see (or shall I say "read") how it all started. Although the book goes through all one needs to know about the history of DISCWORLD, the book lacks the magnificent humor and sensetive touch Pratchett uses so talently later in the series.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse