biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 4, 2015
Much more fantasy than sci-fi yet at the same time uses and parodies many sci-fi cosmological speculations - in other words a fun read that does not take itself too seriously, somewhat similar to the Hitchiker's guide to the universe and it's British sense of Pythonesque humour.
on September 25, 2015
Great book.
on August 10, 2015
Enchanting!!
on July 9, 2015
I'm just getting into the Disc world series and already I am extremely impressed. I started by reading Night Watch randomly and when I found out that it was part of this huge series I was ecstatic! Colour of Magic is excellent, funny and adventurous. I recommend it everywhere and to everyone!
on April 11, 2015
Read it in one sitting. Fantastic story, incredibly written.
If you like things such as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you'll like this book.
on November 21, 2014
fun read, I wanted to read some of the disc world books and thought I would start at the beginning. cant wait to get the next one.
on July 16, 2014
For anyone who likes alternative worlds, great storylines, humour, clever observations of people and a light easy read, this book and its sequel The Light Fantastic (the only sequel I know of from Terry Pratchett) are highly recommended.
Don't blame me if you become as hooked on the Discworld Series as I am!
on November 29, 2012
What an insane book.
For the first 40 pages I had no idea who was who or what was what. And by the end, Im still not entirely sure.
One minute we're in a city, then inside a tree... a temple. Now we're flying on Dragons! No sorry, we're on an Airplane.
Conversations with DEATH? "Your not DEATH. Piss Off"
*Ka-Boom!*

"... And Now For Something, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT"
~ John Cleese

This book really is a hoot. There is a major lack of solid story, which is why I compare it to Monty Python.
Throughout the entire book, I saw in my mind RINCEWIND, the Wizard as John Cleese.
Its not about reaching a goal, "We start an adventure ... Action ... we reach the end. THE END"
Its more about the adventure and the laughs and the total, mind boggling crazy crap that goes on throughout every single page of this absolutely bonkers novel.

Do I recommend this book?
Im not sure, it depends on what kind of person you are.
Though if you are a fan of that British charm that comes with TV Classics like, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Dads Army, Red Dwarf, Black Adder and such, then this is definitely a book worth a read.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The title of my review pretty much says it all. This is a whitty, satirical book like the Hitchiker series, only it draws upon fantasy cliches and ideas. That's not to say the fantasy within is purely unoriginal. There are lots of interesting thoughts and ideas within. But the book also pokes fun at such fantasy legends as Conan, Fafhrd and Grey Mouser, and Dungeons and Dragons. The story basically deals with a tourist from one strange land visiting another. The tourist is paired up with a failed wizard. The wizard is overly cautious, the tourist is almost completely without regard to danger or fear. Overall, it was a quick, fun, and funny read. This isn't timeless, five-star reading, but if you like some good humor in your books, I'd recommend it.
on September 29, 2010
It's awesome satire. Satire at it's best. Well done Terry Pratchett.The Color of Magic: A Discworld Novel