Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on October 21, 1998
As a diehard Pratchett-fan, I was sorely disappointed in his latest effort. A few things you can always be certain of in a Pratchett novel: very funny dialogue and a cleverly constructed storyline. Alas, both are missing in this Discworld-instalment: two very loosely intertwined storylines that are basically going nowhere. The one with the wizards will only make you laugh out loud if you're a member of a live studio audience, and the one about Australia has the feel of a script for Crocodile Dundee part IV. We must commend Terry Pratchett for insisting to have a new book out each year; but hey, if the spirit doesn't move him we will gladly wait a little longer until it does. Then we can again expect great books like Jingo, the rest of the Guards- and Weatherwax-series or deep and very funny stuff like Small Gods.
on January 13, 2001
There are numerous books in the discworld series that I have enjoyed and some that I loved reading (eg. Hogfather and Guard,Guards). The Lost Continent is not of them. In fact, I have not liked any of the Rincewind novels that I have read. I found this one rather excruciating actually. It was cliched and it was dull. I am surprised by the positive reviews it has received here. Different strokes for different folks I guess. In future I will stick to the guards and the witches.
on October 11, 1998
I have read and re-read this book, but I just didn't get a whole lot of enjoyment out of it. Perhaps it is because I am an American and not familiar with Australia? That has to be it, because other than that, I have deeply enjoyed all of the other Pratchett novels and look forward to each publication with bated breath.
on February 17, 2009
I just finished reading all of the Rinsewind novels and this was the only one that I didn't like. It was full of obscure Australian jokes that only an Australian would understand. The plot was often warped in order to make one of these jokes, so if you don't "get" the joke, all you have is a warped plot. I found an "annotation" file on the internet that explained these jokes, but jokes are much less funny if you have to have them explained (the annotation file is on the l-space web - do a search on "l-space web").

This book can be safely skipped, without missing any of the bigger picture that carries across novels.

I've rated this 2 stars, rather than 1, since it IS a Terry Pratchett novel after all, and even poor Terry Pratchett novels are better than the average.