5.0 out of 5 stars The book was good, but the cookies were GREAT!
Published on June 21 2001 by Jennifer L. Rogers

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, implausible mystery
I love the Goldy Bear series of books. Goldy, the main character is not perfect. A little over weight, a bad marriage behind her, an absent minded mother at times. Some how in her catering business, she seems to always stumble into crime.
Published on Aug. 31 2002 by Ladyslott

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, implausible mystery, Aug. 31 2002
Although the mystery in this book seems quite implausible, in particular the method of murder, watching Goldy solve the crime is part of the fun of the book. However the best part of the book is the description of food, and the tantalizing recipes scattered through out the book. I really am going to have to cook one of these dishes sometime soon.
The main storyline involves the death of Goldy's new boyfriend Phillip Miller. His death is called an accident, but Goldy doesn't believe that. Temporarily relocated to a wealthy part of town, and living as an in house cook to a rather eccentric family, Goldy determines to find out who killed Phillip. The only problem is, her real life such as catering parties and dealing with a pre-teen son keep intruding on her crime solving plans.
Entertaining, funny and easy to read, this is a good addition to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was good, but the cookies were GREAT!, June 21 2001
Jennifer L. Rogers (St. Louis, Mo USA) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, the first I'd read by Davidson. The heroine, Goldie, is a single mom struggling to deal with her own business, her abusive ex, her dead boyfriend,her son, her helper, and her unconventional living situation. But, like any stalwart heroine, she still finds time for chocolate. The plot of the mystery is interesting, but what really sets this book (and the series apart) is Davidson's skill in portraying complex characters, rather than entertaining clue chasers. Goldie is an actual person who when faced with a mystery, can't just drop everything and solve it. She, like all of us, has to deal with work and family first. Congratulations, Ms. Davidson, on writing a smart, funny, compelling series about real people!
Oh yeah, and about the cookies. Exactly how big a batch can you make of lethal layers before it becomes unmanageable? I'm only asking because making them every few days is getting tedious. The books in this series are the only mysteries I own with grease stains.

3.0 out of 5 stars My Review, Dec 5 2000
Regina (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I think that overall, this story wasn't bad. It wasn't the most boring story or the most exciting either. It was in between. Although, there could've been more suspense to it. The story and the plot was a little slow too. It took awhile to get to the suspense because the writer, Diane Mott Davidson, seemed to take things kind of slow in the story. It was kind of dragging out a little. But, I liked how Davidson writes as if the story wasn't fiction. You feel as if the characters are real and they're just living a normal life like anyone else. They do everyday things in the story like, cook, eat, run errands, etc... I also liked the parts where Davidson wrote about Goldy Bear cooking and the recipes for what she cooked. That part was kind of fun to read about. Like what she was cooking seemed really cool. The foods she cooked wasn't just regular food you ate everyday. They sememd kind of fancy and elegant. I just thought it was creative. I guess near the end, there's a little more edge to it because the story is coming to a finish. The ending is a little shocking to find out what happens, but nothing big or too shocking. So overall, this story wasn't bad, but wasn't the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like suspense this book is for you., Oct. 22 1997
By A Customer
Dying for Chocolate is based in Evergreen Co. Most of the story takes place in a high class neiborhood in the middle of the summer. The main character is local caterer Goldy Bear. She has a curious investigative personality, for searching for the truth. The story begins with a gruesome murder. The victim was a close friend of Goldy's and one she cared for. Goldy is determined to find the killer. As the story unravels she gets pulled more and more into the case. She ends up doing some things that could her and her beloved son killed. This is a great suspense story, some of the parts I couldn't stop reading and put the book down. The reason I said "Some parts" was because the middle got really dull and I had to push myself to finish. This is also the reason I took 2 points of the rating. Otherwise I loved the book recomened this book to almost everybody. I have to say the thing I liked most was that Davidson's books are so real. All of her story events are things that could happen in real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dying For Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson, June 17 2001
Mystery Lover "K.E." (Morrisville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Diane Mott Davidson has created a character that has more problems than anyone person should have to deal with. But she has Goldy or better know as "Miss Goldy" handling it all with a quality that makes you laugh along with her mishaps. The story starts when an old friend, that she's been dating, is killed in a car accident. Goldy is following him for a date to have coffee when he crases head on into a bus. What persues after the "accident" keeps you wanting more of Miss Goldy and her wacky friends, her son, and her crazed abusive ex-husband the "JERK" (of course these are the initials of his name, but some how very fitting), and the cop that she is seeing off and on but more off lately with the reappearance of Phillip in her life. Diane Mott Davidson keeps you entertained and intrigued at the same time. You'll enjoy this book immensely and want to read every book with her delightful and funny character, "Miss Goldy"

5.0 out of 5 stars Will turn anyone into a Choco-holic!, Dec 31 1997
Nicki D. (Foothills of the Sierras) - See all my reviews
Again good old Goldy leaps from the"pot" into the "frying pan".
In an attempt to ease her fears of her !#@*&$!!@ ex-husband's threats and harrassment Goldy decides to take a summer job as live-in cook at a private estate in the elite area of the Aspen Meadows Country Club. During this time she is having a security system installed in her home in order to forestall any entry efforts by "the Jerk".
Naturally, wherever Goldy goes, a murder is sure to be on the menu.
Arch suffering through puberty. Car accident or murder? Too many suspects to count (at least not Goldy this time). Her catering business still being threatened. Can she commit to Tom yet . . . or not! Menus/recipes which will require a napkin to contain the readers drool. (honestly, I doubt anyone could read one of Diane's books and hold to a diet.) Again, all the ingredients of a very tasty and suspenseful mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, April 25 2001
Amazon Customer (Windsor, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I am not much of a fiction reader, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book so much that I will definitely be reading more of Diane Mott Davidson's books.
I found that the mystery in this book was great from trying to figure out how the person could have been murdered to the surprise of who the murderer was and the lengths to which they would go.
After finishing this book I asked myself "How could I have missed so many little clues that later explained everything?" With the exception of a small story line - about bad cooking reviews - everything that you read as the story builds up, seems necessary and ties together nicely at the end.
I plan on trying a couple of the recipes on my family and friends - don't tell them please. My only warning about this novel is, don't read it while you are hungry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you guessing until an explosive ending!, July 2 2000
Dying for chocolate dives right in with the unexplained death under very odd circumstances of a very special friend of Goldy's after a catered event. Some death threats, some secrets, several anonymous food reviews and the birth certificate of a young man all play into this culinary mystery. This was one of the books by this author that I really enjoyed. The characters have real personalities and reactions you would expect. This story kept me guessing until the end as to who was guilty of murder and why. The ending was truly explosive! The recipes as always never fail to tempt you with such choices as Strawberry Super Pie, Scout's Brownies, New Potato Salad and the Chile Relleno Torta, along with six other possibilities. Can't wait for the next mystery from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars twisting Rocky Mountain roads and plots, Aug. 25 2003
Karen Sampson Hudson (Reno, NV United States) - See all my reviews
"Dying for Chocolate," one of Diane Mott Davidson's earlier Goldy Bear Schulz culinary mysteries, will not disappoint her legions of fans. In this one, single-mom Goldy and her young son Arch are living on the third floor of the Rocky Mountain mansion of retired General Bo Farquhar, who is still fascinated with the bombs and weapons that dominated his career as a terrorism expert.
Goldy comes under suspicion---was her food that was responsible for the auto accident that killed her suitor, psychiatrist Philip Miller? She has been neglecting another suitor, detective Tom Schulz, but he comes to her aid and the two come closer together as they attempt to figure out what has happened and why.
Recommended light reading, will put a smile on your face!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me guessing right up until the end, Sept. 28 2000
Hannah M. Hurey (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This is one of the few mystery books that I have read where I didn't have it figured out who the "guilty" party was. I was so surprised that I dropped the book and lost my place. The plot just moves along with characters that seem like real humans and it was almost like watching a movie in my mind. The interaction of Goldy and Arch is so much like watching my own mother with my youngest brother and her attempt to "get it right, but not smother". Because this book took me only two days to read, I can't wait until I get my hands on the next one. On a side note, the recepies look so good that I am going to have to try a couple. If you are looking for a fun suspense book without too much gore and a real explosive ending than this one is for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

DYING FOR CHOCOLATE
DYING FOR CHOCOLATE by Diane Mott Davidson (Hardcover - Aug. 1 1992)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01