5.0 out of 5 stars This is the story I've been waiting for my entire life.
Quick Review (TL;DR)
These books are great. Expansive well described settings and extremely complex and detailed characters. You'll find yourself loving character you hated in a previous books and feeling compassion for psychopathic torturers.
Published 5 months ago by Andres Consumer

3.0 out of 5 stars Hellooooo, Jordan syndrome.....
Published on March 21 2004 by debeehr

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the story I've been waiting for my entire life., July 18 2014
Andres Consumer (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three (Hardcover)
Quick Review (TL;DR)
Nothing happens the way you think it'll happen and no one you want to live lives. Everyone dies except for the ones you expect to.
I would highly recommend reading this series as long as you don't mind waiting 1-2 decades as the following books are released.

Full-er Review:

--If you want to support a story you enjoy and get the entire series at the same time you should buy this. --

All my life I've been waiting for something like this story. Every time I watched a movie where the good guy had some kind of distress or trouble and the bad guy seemed ahead, I still always knew who would win. As I am sure you all did. (granted this applies more to shows/movies than to books)

Every time a fairy tale ending occurred with the action hero walking into the sunset with his girl, I got tired. Every. Single. Time.

Good guy wins, bad guy loses/gets away and everyone is happily ever after. Sure there are some exceptions, but not really. Either everyone dies at the end or some other trope occurs. But the bad guy never wins over. Not at the end. Like some horribly boring, predictable formula.

This is the show I've been waiting for. Everything you think will happen doesn't happen. Or it does and then does a complete 180. No predictability at all. I absolutely love it.
You hate the character who paralyzes kids and then you grow to like them and empathize with their flaws as they grow into their character.

Your [favourite] characters die and others live, but you never know which or how they'll do it. Your most hated character become your most loved characters and then they also die. Or maybe not. Maybe they become hated again.

---

This is the story after the happily ever after. The story of the brave warrior who becomes king but is unable to rule, he doesn't know how. Of course he doesn't, he's a boy who knows how to fight, why would he be equipped to rule a kingdom?
This is the story after the king marries a famous beauty.
They're not happy 20 years later, they resent each other and each grows to hate the other more and more. The king drinks and has his way with whore while the queen does the same with her brother.

They are human. They do not live happily ever after. The nice honourable man dies, children die, the scheming betrayer lives. In fact he thrives.
This is the story for those who want to know what happens after the "... and they lived happily ever after". Love, loss, anger, hatred, life and death. No linear storyline with predictable outcomes. No more of that.

If any of that sounds appealing to you then read the books, watch the show, immerse yourself in this world and watch what happens when people have to go through life with real problems and real consequences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Renders me almost speechless, Nov. 4 2002
D. Pachal (WA) - See all my reviews
After the suprising events in this book, I could only find myself saying one word when finished, "Wow". "A Storm of Swords" is full of so many plot twists that just when one thinks they know what is going on, something completely different happens and takes the reader by suprise. I will give Martin kudos for the fact that I only predicted a few events beforehand that actually happened. Many books nowdays are full of predictable work that is almost boring to read. The same can not be said for this book, or this series.
"A Storm of Swords" finally brings into play more of the life of the Black Brothers and the Wildlings. But don't be fooled, that isn't all that the book covers. Troubles in the Kingdoms are still being brought into play. We see more from Dany and learn everything there isn't what meets the eye. The Kings are all still fighting for control.
Deaths aplenty happen in this book, some more suprising than others. But that does not take away from the appeal of the book. There are a few characters that have died in the past books that I would rather not have been killed off, and this book is no exception. That is really the only problem I have with the book. But, I am willing to accept the deaths as part of the plot that is keeping this wonderful story moving along.
I was a little hesitant when I picked this series up first. It started off a little slow. But now...to me there is never a dull moment. The chapters flow together smoothly, and never once have I been bored. The action is incredible. The plots/subplots/subsubplots are simply amazing and intriguing. This book really brings to play many of the main characters. Finally we see more from Jaime's point of view. Samwell is another character that gets a POV in this book.
Since starting this series, I can probably rate it up to one of the best of all time in my opinion. It blows every other series I have read out of the water. George R.R. Martin is a great author and I look forward to his next book, which hopefully comes out soon. If "A Feast for Crows" (Supposedly the next book's title) is as good as this one and the ones before it, I will not hesitate to spend the money to add it to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series grabbed me and didn't let go!!, July 7 2004
Sue (LeMars, IA United States) - See all my reviews
I have tried to read other fantasy novels and just couldn't get into them, but I checked this out at the library on a fluke & was hooked!! I have read each book at least twice, and this last book is by far my favorite of the 3. I actually had the jaw drop thing going on in a few places! It is so well written, with attention to details & descriptions, that the characters become endearing to you. I love Tyrions wit, Aryas spunk, and Jons quiet resolve, and a favorite of mine in this last book was Jamie & Brienne. I cannot wait until The Feast for Crows comes out. I am already on the waiting list at the library, and its on my Christmas wish list!! If you want a good read, please try this one, the series is so popular at our house we give them as gifts!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, July 19 2004
I finished reading book 3 in April and I'm sitting here typing out my review and I still get chills JUST THINKING ABOUT what has happened in this book, the previous books and the future books to come. Book 3 continues on where book 2 left off.
The character development is amazing. As others said, the beginning is a tad bit slow, but once you get through it, its a roller coaster ride up to the top and you're left weightless at the climax with disbelief. Actually, I should say climaxes - because each thread ends in its own shocking way - especially Tyrion's.
Another example of his mastery of character development is the Jaime story line. I used to *hate* Jaime and now I understand his point of view and I've come to love him. I was always excited to see a Jaime chapter. Hell, I was happy to see ANY chapter because each one snowballed into the next.
This is hands down the best lit. series I've ever read. You wont regret reading it. I somehow managed to read through the first 3 books in 3 months while going to school full time and working full time. Yes, it is that engrossing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow start, but it sure picks up!!, July 17 2004
Daniel Roy "triseult" (Shanghai, China) - See all my reviews
Judging by the brick-size of 'A Storm of Swords', I was momentarily afraid that Martin had began the 'Jordanization' of his awesome series. The first 800 pages did nothing to alleviate my fears. Although the novel was a fun ride through the first two thirds, I got the feeling that not much was moving. I was afraid the novel would leave me with no discernable change by the time it was over.
Boy... Was I ever wrong!! If you pick this novel and are slightly put off by the slow (although well-written) pace of the beginning, trust me: get through it. By the end of the novel, things have picked up so much, I was wishing Martin would slow down a little and let me catch my breath.
To put it as plainly as I can without giving away anything, a LOT happens in the last third of 'A Storm of Swords'. A lot of it is characterized by Martin's implaccable 'logic is stronger than fairy tales' brand of storytelling. A lot of it, also, is so daring, so unpredictable, that I had to stop many times in shock to digest what I had just read.
If you liked the first two books in the series, don't hesitate one second to pick up this one. Chances are the fine writing and your beloved characters will get you through the first 800 pages without a problem, but if you ever tire of the slow pace, rest assured: by the end, you'll wish things weren't so darn fast.
For its daring, fine writing and excellent political scheming, 'A Storm of Swords' is actually better than its precedessors. I really can't wait for 'A Feast for Crows'.

5.0 out of 5 stars !!Great read!!, May 2 2004
By A Customer
I started this series because "The Sword of Truth" had been starting to wear thin and I was looking to start something a little different. I had first read Martin's short story in the "Legends" compilation and I remember really enjoying his story of Sir Duncan the Tall, which takes place a few generations before the "Song of Ice and Fire" series. By the time Jon and Rob make their discovery 8 pages into the first book I had allready realized this was something special. I am a pretty avid reader and don't even want to hazard a guess as to how many pages I've turned, I can honestly say there have been VERY few pages I have turned that I enjoyed more. Mr. Martin has managed to create the most realistic fantasy world I have ever read about, nothing is in black and white and there are enough shades of grey to leave you deep in thought long after you put the book down. I have reread all 3 of these several times and I am still amazed at how easily his world draws you in and regardless that I know what's coming, I can't help but still feel betrayed every time Mr. Martin throws another of his little surprises our way. Needless to say, I will be back for more and if you have yet to start this series QUIT READING THIS and get started!

5.0 out of 5 stars not your average fantasy fodder, April 30 2004
Let me start by saying that i consider the Song of Ice and Fire series to be the finest fantasy ive ever had the pleasure of reading. While i understand the complaints made by previous readers of its graphical and vulgar nature far from being repulsed by Martins style of writing i consider it to be one of his greatest strengths. I remember being blown away by A Game of Thrones simply because the characters acted and spoke like real people and sitting slack jawed when Ned Stark was executed(What!!???! a major good guy actually DYING in a fantasy novel!)While i respect and have enjoyed the work of David Eddings, Robert Jordan etc one book or series always follows the usual pattern (prophecy stories particularly grate) with cliched good guys and equally unoriginal and transparent opponents. One of the compliments paid to George Martins series is that it is fantasy reminescent of history, namely the Wars of the Roses in England which demonstrate his ability to create a truly believable world - a rare skill among writers of the genre. If you like your books full of princes raised as peasants only to fulfill a prophecy to save the fair(but secretly dangerous) maiden and righteously defeat the evil king then steer clear of this series, what sets Martin apart from the standard writers of fantasy is that he writes for mature readers, this is no happy good versus evil childrens book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hellooooo, Jordan syndrome....., March 21 2004
Martin writes well enough, but I am afraid he has come down with Jordan syndrome. (...) The overtones of sexism are still there, whether intentional or not; and few of his characters make any progress or growth. In particular, the way he treats Sansa seriously irritates me; I actually have to wonder if she's a stand-in for someone he doesn't like. It's not the fact that he keeps putting her in dangerous situations; it's the fact that he refuses to allow her to learn to defend herself. Daenerys still hasn't made it back to the Seven Kingdoms yet, and in fact shows no sign of doing so any time soon; Tyrion has taken off for parts unknown; Cersei remains as one-dimensional a [character] as she ever was, and so does Lysa until they off her. (...)
The darkness and slaughter of the main characters didn't really bother me, but someone on here had a good point that I hadn't considered until I read their review. And that is: If this is truly supposed to be a world based on the Middle Ages, then where is the yearning for spiritual fulfillment? Where is the divine? Christianity was a *huge* presence in the Middle Ages, for *everybody,* but we don't see anything like that in Martin's world; in fact his Seven are barely mentioned and certainly don't seem to be taken that seriously by anybody in his world. He's essentially writing this series with a modern-day secular mentality, but this doesn't jive with his series construction.(...)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Epic Fantasy Series Out There!!, Feb. 25 2004
This is the best epic serious fantasy series out there by far. Gets away from the cookie-cutter books of Brooks, Eddings and Goodkind, which are quick fun reads. Martin keeps your intrest unlike the endless Jordan Wheel of Time series, which I have temporarily given up on. This series is very original. And each book is better than the last. Lots of political intrique where the magic is very little at first, increasing as the books go on. Great characters and multi-storylines merging into one big showdown. Only problem is the series is not comlete. Only 3 of 6 are written, book 4 A Feast For Crows constantly being delayed. Mr. Martins website does update and has a sample Arya chapter from book 4. READ IT. In the meantime if you want a series that is complete and very good. I reccomend Memory Sorrw and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams. Book one being The DragonBone Chair. Not quite on par with Martin. But very enjoyable none the less. Martin is gritty, graphic and realistic.Major characters do die! You will loathe villains in one chapter and be cheering for them in the next. I.E Tyrion and Jamie. Two of my favorites. Please read you will love!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best series in the genre, Feb. 17 2004
George R.R. Martin is an infuriating man. As I read his Song of Ice and Fire, some of my favorite characters keep getting killed. Others prove to not be as admirable as I thought, and still others are not as worthless or evil as I first perceived. In other words, it is a phenomenal thrill ride that I couldn't get off if I tried. This series has more purely gut-wrenching, stay-up-late-to-finish power than anything I have read since Stephen King's It. I don't know how Mr. Martin keeps everything straight. I want to scream at him for taking so long to produce A Feast For Crows. But I will be in line as soon as it comes out, waiting to snap it up and read, reread, and marvel at it.
The best thing these books do is to mirror the human condition. The vast majority of us are neither good nor evil, but in some gray area. Martin recognizes this and makes it maddeningly hard to choose your "heroes" and "villains." The violence can be graphic, but it's a hard old medieval world. The first book in this series was difficult for me to get into, but the ride gets better with each installment. Write faster, George, please!
I read a lot of fantasy, and there is some good writing out there. But in my opinion, this series supersedes anything currently out there, with the possible exception of the Dark Tower series, and wouldn't THAT make for an interesting debate.
Troy

A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three
A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three by George R.R. Martin (Hardcover - Oct. 31 2000)
CDN$ 38.00 CDN$ 23.83