5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reading
This translation of The Three Musketeers is a joy to read on Kindle. Not only are the typos at a bare minimum, but the story has been translated extermely well. I have thoroughly enjoyed re-reading this classic that I studied (and thus didn't enjoy nearly as much) years ago. Highly recommend this title.
Published 15 months ago by Deb

1.0 out of 5 stars An overpriced, unremarkable edition of this fine work
One would think, based on the price of this "limited edition" publication, that this would be an elegant and well produced hard-cover edition. What I discovered on delivery is that this is a truly plain-jane publication: no foreword, no introduction, no mention of who translated this edition, no dust cover and so on and so on. Save your money, and don't order...
Published on Jan. 23 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reading, April 8 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was awesome!!!!!!, June 24 2014
it's just way too long! Alexandre Dumas could have just cut the last 12 or so pages,cause then he could have made a cs

4.0 out of 5 stars The bigger picture, May 5 2014
I knew the story of the Musketeers... Or I thought I did. So much more depth to the story with tears if laughter and shudders of dark thoughts along the way. A wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dumas brings adventure to life., Oct. 2 2013
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Paperback)
This book really captures the essence of adventure. I would recommend this book to anyone . The Musketeers takes you back to your childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling Good Fun!!, Feb. 25 2008
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Mass Market Paperback)
What fun! This books just jumps right out and keeps moving along (except for a couple of slow spots -- but needed to develop the character's past, etc.) The cameraderie between the Musketeers is awesome and they are incredibly wonderful scamps.

D'artagnon was adorable, as were Athos, Aramis and Porthos. The evil Milady was truly EVIL and WICKED. The dialogue was brilliant (as always), it just crackled right along. I think we all know the basic story and how it ended, but reading the book was much more enjoyable than the movie, as they always are. It did bring back many memories of that wonderful version from the 70's, with Michael York and Raquel Welch. I will have to revisit that. I also highly recommend reading the sequels, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Vallière and The Man in the Iron Mask. Dumas rocks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Narrator for this Classic, May 9 2004
Jonathan E. Brewer (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
What can I say? My first connection with anything to do with Dumas, D' Artagnan, or the Musketeers came from this "abridged" audio book. Michael York is a very compelling narrator, so much so that I read The Three Musketeers for the first time immediately after finishing this audio book. Though I wish he had narrated an "unabridged" version I could not neglect to praise this work. The Three Musketeers is my favorite novel, having read it for the first time nearly a decade ago. This book still captivates my soul. And contrary to common Hollywood interpretation, the story is neither about Casanovas or sword-fighting. All of these features are here, but the entire collection of the D' Artagnan Romances is the chronicle of the ever-enduring friendship of four men. I strongly suggest you read all five (yes, five) of the D' Artagnan Romances. It will teach you more about the sacrifices that true friends will make than any other work of fiction I am familiar with. And this audio book is a great place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Action-filled Classic, Dec 6 2002
Jeffrey (Chula Vista, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Mass Market Paperback)
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas is filled with action in the form of conflict & sword-fights. Set during the reign of Louis XIII & Cardinal Richelieu in France, D'Artagnan seeks enrollment into the Musketeers. But the plot thickens as he courts a woman. There is even more conflict as Milady, a beautiful but demon-like woman, is hunted down by D'Artagnan & company. D'Artagnan also faces several sword-fights against the Cardinal's Guards, and conflicts with the Cardinal himself. There is action on almost every page, and I recommend The Three Musketeers to those looking for an action-filled classic!

4.0 out of 5 stars An Action-filled Classic, Dec 6 2002
Jeffrey (Chula Vista, CA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Surprise, July 4 2002
Haley J. The Bat (Indianapolis, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Musketeers (Paperback)
The only reason I picked up the book was because it was one of "those" books in the school library. You wanted to read it for the points, but everybody who picked it up gaze up and put it back down. *I* even tried to read it once and gave up. But I'm always up for a challenge. The next year I checked it out and informed everybody I knew that I was going to be one of the first people in our school to read the book. Then I decided to begin reading.
The first couple pages are basically one long paragraph that doesn't make sense unless you're re-reading it and already know the characters and what's going on. I was tempted to put it down, but I wasn't going to back down. By about page 30, it was easy to read, and I began to get into it.
What I discovered was that this is possibly one of the best pieces of fiction ever written. I couldn't put it down, and spent a whole Saturday reading it. I never expected it to be what it was from what I'd read on the back. But then, the plot is so complex, and there are so many sub-plots that you wonder how anyone can do it justice.
I read once that many people associate the word "classic" with the word "boring". As I've discovered, this is entirely not true. When I thought about it, the reason books become classics aren't because they're old and boring, but because people love them, because they are read by millions. The reason that they lasted for so long is because people kept them alive. I'm sure that in a century from now, only a select few books that we enjoy will still be in print, and those particular books will be the best of our time, just as The Three Musketeers was the best of its time.
I'm sorry if this review didn't suffice, I'm just hoping that maybe somebody will read it and give it a try. So far I haven't talked anyone I know into reading it, but they're not bookworms like me. People are intimidated by its size, but from my experience, the best books are the largest. When an author really has a story to tell, one that you will enjoy, one that has a complex, satisfying plot, then it's going to be long.
Okay, I'm done lecturing anyone who got this far. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, May 6 2002
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Paperback)
The Three Musketeers is a unique book. History and political events are woven into the plot of this clever book. I find the characters fasinating and feel like I already know these noble men. The loyalty of them is overwhemling. I am in the middle of Dumas's next book, "Twenty Years Later" and am enjoying it too.I have read many books, and this is one of my personal favorites.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Three Musketeers
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 1984)
CDN$ 8.50 CDN$ 8.08