5.0 out of 5 stars Best Narrator for this Classic
Published on May 9 2004 by Jonathan E. Brewer

1.0 out of 5 stars An overpriced, unremarkable edition of this fine work
One would think, based on the price of this "limited edition" publication, that this would be an elegant and well produced hard-cover edition. What I discovered on delivery is that this is a truly plain-jane publication: no foreword, no introduction, no mention of who translated this edition, no dust cover and so on and so on. Save your money, and don't order...
Published on Jan. 22 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Narrator for this Classic, May 9 2004
Jonathan E. Brewer (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
What can I say? My first connection with anything to do with Dumas, D' Artagnan, or the Musketeers came from this "abridged" audio book. Michael York is a very compelling narrator, so much so that I read The Three Musketeers for the first time immediately after finishing this audio book. Though I wish he had narrated an "unabridged" version I could not neglect to praise this work. The Three Musketeers is my favorite novel, having read it for the first time nearly a decade ago. This book still captivates my soul. And contrary to common Hollywood interpretation, the story is neither about Casanovas or sword-fighting. All of these features are here, but the entire collection of the D' Artagnan Romances is the chronicle of the ever-enduring friendship of four men. I strongly suggest you read all five (yes, five) of the D' Artagnan Romances. It will teach you more about the sacrifices that true friends will make than any other work of fiction I am familiar with. And this audio book is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Surprise, July 4 2002
Haley J. The Bat (Indianapolis, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Musketeers (Paperback)
The only reason I picked up the book was because it was one of "those" books in the school library. You wanted to read it for the points, but everybody who picked it up gaze up and put it back down. *I* even tried to read it once and gave up. But I'm always up for a challenge. The next year I checked it out and informed everybody I knew that I was going to be one of the first people in our school to read the book. Then I decided to begin reading.
The first couple pages are basically one long paragraph that doesn't make sense unless you're re-reading it and already know the characters and what's going on. I was tempted to put it down, but I wasn't going to back down. By about page 30, it was easy to read, and I began to get into it.
What I discovered was that this is possibly one of the best pieces of fiction ever written. I couldn't put it down, and spent a whole Saturday reading it. I never expected it to be what it was from what I'd read on the back. But then, the plot is so complex, and there are so many sub-plots that you wonder how anyone can do it justice.
I read once that many people associate the word "classic" with the word "boring". As I've discovered, this is entirely not true. When I thought about it, the reason books become classics aren't because they're old and boring, but because people love them, because they are read by millions. The reason that they lasted for so long is because people kept them alive. I'm sure that in a century from now, only a select few books that we enjoy will still be in print, and those particular books will be the best of our time, just as The Three Musketeers was the best of its time.
I'm sorry if this review didn't suffice, I'm just hoping that maybe somebody will read it and give it a try. So far I haven't talked anyone I know into reading it, but they're not bookworms like me. People are intimidated by its size, but from my experience, the best books are the largest. When an author really has a story to tell, one that you will enjoy, one that has a complex, satisfying plot, then it's going to be long.
Okay, I'm done lecturing anyone who got this far. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars FASCINATINGLY WOVEN CLASSIC, March 16 2002
This review is from: Three Musketeers (Paperback)
1 When I got this book, the name seemed very familiar. 'Three Musketeers' was a phrase used by people to describe any trio of friends indulging in some activity or enterprise. Then I came to know about the movie made on the story of this book with the same name.
2 Initially, this book did not interest me at all. What a funny kind of language it has is what I thought. I wondered as to why it is such a famous classic when I am unable to find first few pages so interesting. But when I convinced my mind that this must be the language of times to which the book belongs (1844) and proceeded, It was evident why it is a classic. Masterly woven story line and plot. Thrill of not knowing what to expect next, the intrigue of the French court, helplessness of the Queen and power of the Cardinal all add to the boiling pot of this book's plot. Rise of its commoner hero D' Artagnan through intelligence, luck, hard work and musketeer friends has been convincingly developed. Even after long time from its release in 1844, 'Three Musketeers' holds the readers captive till the very last page. A MUST READ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling audio adaption: Theatre for the mind!, March 9 2000
J. Mckinley (Santa Paula, California) - See all my reviews
I'm the guy who wrote the adaption for the monterey soundworks audio cassette version of Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers. Just to explain what the product isn't: it isn't a book on tape. What it is: is a dramatization of the story with many different voice acters, sound effects and original music. The story is brought to life through the characters and the action. What you don't get is some English guy reading to you out of the book. You will hear the clash and clatter of the swords as the Musketeers battle the cardinal's dreaded guards. The sound of the horses' hooves and the carriage wheels upon the french cobblestone streets will reverberate throughout your car or home.
Remember, this is an adaption, which means the story is presented in a media other than the original novel. Some material, of course, had to be left out. I am proud of this adaption and how faithfully it delivers the bulk of Dumas' exciting adventures with D'Artagnan and the Three Musketeers. Any other adaption I've seen always focuses on a very small part of the novel or something other than what the story is really about. Musketeer fans, I believe, will be pleased. The monterey soundworks cassette version also serves as a great introduction for those who have not befriended our intrepid friends, Athos, Porthos, Aramis and of course, D'Artagnan. Give it a listen and email me at jmatmckinley@yahoo.com and tell me what you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo!, Feb. 27 2000
Lisa McKinley "lisa_in_so_cal" (Citrus Capital of the World, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Because I spend a lot of time in my vehicle with my kids, I have begun seeking out these audio adaptations of classic novels put out by Monterey Soundworks...I currently had the pleasure of listening to The Three Musketeers and was very impressed. Usually an adaptation of this great story only covers the first adventure, which is only the "tip of the iceburg". These audio tapes are of excellent quality and do a fine job of bringing the complete story to life! Milady is one of the greatest villainess' in all literature and this adaptation has finally done her character justice! This was much better than any movie I've seen. I consider myself a "musketeer afficionado" as I have read the complete series...Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan are very close friends of mine! If you love this story, you will also love "20 Years Later"! Read them all the way through "The Man in the Iron Mask"!
If you are already a fan, get these audio tapes...you won't be disappointed! They are also a good vehicle to introduce someone who may be intimidated by the heft of the book to familiarize themselves with the story and develop an attachment to the characters, which is very easy to do with these characters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comrades in Arms, Jan. 31 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Paperback)
Having been a Special Operations operator for over 8 years, I beleive I speak from experience when I state that the most important aspect of being a soldier is the trust and devotion that you develop regarding your teammates. This trust and dedication is much more intense when you enter the realm of special operations, such as those conducted by Athos, Aramis, Porthos, and D'artagnan. I find that Dumas has captured the spirit and motivation that exemplifies all that I have experienced as a soldier. Some have quibled that the fighting and combat scenarios are not realistic, however I find that the reason and motivation, along with the unquestionable support that each of these comrades in arms provides to his teammates, is much more at the heart of what Dumas has accomplished with this work. Friendship and unquestioning trust and loyalty are what enables a specops team to succeed where others fail. It is these same individual qualities which are so perfectly portrayed in the Three Musketeers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! A must read!, July 11 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was one of the most captivating adventure tales I've ever read. It follows the adventures of the four french musketeers (well, three of them are musketeers to start off with): Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and d'Artanagan. The book is filled with swashbuckling action, government and court intriuge, and new plot twists at every turn. It paints a wonderful picture of life in past times, set in the colorful world of post-medieval France. Although young d'Artanagan is the hero of this book, the other characters are just as well portrayed. I particuarly liked Athos: his combonation of nobleness, military genius, sorrow, bitterness, thoughtfulness and mystery made me want to skip ahead to his parts of the book. All in all, this was a wonderful read, and a classic for anyone who loves adventure stories. I could find no qualms with this book, except that it did not keep going. Go out and buy it now! You won't be disappointed. All for one, and one for all!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Romantic Story, June 23 2000
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Paperback)
This was one of my favorite books, growing up. Dumas created a fast-paced, intriguing story of passion, friendship, treason, and politics. Who could forget the irresistible force of the four friends: the clever hothead D'Artagnan, so young and full of initiative; the cunning and calculating Aramis; the naive and good-natured Portos, with his superhuman strength; and the wise, disillusioned Atos, still full of inner strength amid his drinking. The main love story of the book is not that compelling. It somehow pales amid all the action. There are also a few chronological inconsistencies in the book that resulted from Dumas' neck-breaking pace of writing books. But these can be easily overlooked along with a somewhat unrealistic course of events. This still is a fabulous, entertaining story. The book's strongest appeal is to the readers in their teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fantastic Four, March 16 2002
"lanae5850" (Tacoma, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Paperback)
The story starts out with a young naive Gascon by the name D'artagnan who goes to seek his fortune with the King's Musketeers. On his journey to Paris he has a tangle with a man named Rochefort whom D'artagnan chases throughout the book, along with his female companion Milady, a woman of pure evil.
He meets the Three Musketeers and they don't get off to such a great beginning as he finds himself preparing to fight a duel with all three of them. Eventually D'artagnan wins over Athos, Porthos, and Aramis and together the four set off on adventures to protect their majesty the queen (Anne of Austria) against the bad intentions of the cardinal.
It's all intigue and romance and swashbuckling! I loved it all, every sentence. And i love how M. Dumas twists history to his own literary devices.
I played hooky to finish reading this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever written, March 5 2002
Emily (Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Paperback)
Being only an eigth grader and a thirteen year old, you may think I don't have very much experience with books. However, I have read The Three Musketeers, and I can easily say, it is the best book ever written. It is witty with 18th century humor. It has fencing, fighting, romance, betrayl, action, seduction, death, hatred, true love, and so much more. It is filled with creativity, and Alexandre Dumas has a wonderful style of writing that really lets him connect to the reader.
D'Artagan is a young Gason boy who wants to become a Musketeer. It follows him and his adventures with his three friends and fellow musketeers, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. The journeys that the four of them take together are unforgettable. This book is a must read. It is hard to get into at first, but once you start reading, at least twenty pages, you have to finish.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Three Musketeers
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 1984)
CDN$ 8.50 CDN$ 8.08