5.0 out of 5 stars Alice
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-GlassThis is awesome classic book from Lewis Carroll. It was a joy to my daughter to read it.
Published on April 7 2011 by Rustem

3.0 out of 5 stars Soso
Alice's Adventure

My first impressions of this book were that it was like reading C.S. Lewis on cheap drugs. The events are complete non sequiturs and the changes in plot are worse.

Published on Dec 4 2008 by Steven R. McEvoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, June 30 2011
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Paperback)
"Alice in Wonderland" classic version

Written in 1865, this classic is a tale of a girl named Alice who falls down a rabbit hole into a fantasy world populated by creatures who assume human characteristics.

'Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late, the Rabbit say to itself..and when he actually took a watch out of its waistcoat-pocket and hurried on and popped down a large hole, curious Alice, went after it never considering how she was to get out again.

Down, down, down. Would the fall never come to an end? She tried to curtsey as she spoke...Ma'am is this new Zealand or Australia?... "Curiouser and curiouser" cried Alice... Now I'm opening like a largest telescope...Good-bye, feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.... When suddenly thump, thump, the rabbit was still in sight as it turned the corner saying..Oh dear! Oh dear! How late it's getting... ( from the book)

And it goes on and on...and on. Of course the plot and the narrative are totally nonsensical but if you let your imagination roam and let yourself fall into its spell you will be transported along with Alice to a magical world with its memorable characters such as Mad Hatter having tea parties, and the terrifying Queen of Hearts threatening to behead everyone. You will meet Cheshire the cat, the turtle, the Duchess, Bill the Lizard, the Mouse, the Dodo, the Lory and Caterpillar and many more weird characters all the while growing and shrinking from drinking lotions and potions saying "Drink me". Ultimately you will move around very fast and achieve nothing...till you wake up and realize this was all but a dream...

This adventure has inspired numerous comic books, films, TV movies through countless adaptations and hundreds of editions of the book throughout the years. This story was one of the freebees on my e-reader so I decided to give it a go. Early in I missed the visual aspect I have always associated with Alice, but as my imagination kicked in and the characters came alive, it became easier to understand the humour and wits that played within the words and admit it was a refreshing experience. However my fondest memories take me back to the animated version created by the late Walter Disney and his Studios. Who ever said a picture is worth a thousand words really knew how to leave a lasting impression in a little girl's mind.

Unfortunately Amazon.ca does not have the version I read so forgive me for not reviewing "Through the Looking- Glass"

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice, April 7 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for many ages, join Alice's crazy adventures!, Feb. 26 2001
S. Johnson - See all my reviews
My children and I just finished this book and it was a lot of fun. The chapters are a reasonable length for reading one an evening. The stories were, according to my 9 year old daughter, goofy, weird, and interesting. We were never bored, and even my 7 yr old son enjoyed it. At times, the children requested another chapter because the previous one was a bit of a "cliffhanger." This book makes for a wonderful read-aloud for the 6-10 year old set, and would be enjoyable for a proficient reader to read alone, as well. Kids of all ages will enjoy reading about the strange happenings in Alice's fanciful world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Soso, Dec 4 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Alice's Adventure

It appears to be a spoiled child wandering in a world she does not understand, nor is willing to learn about - unlike Lucy in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe who seeks to understand the local customs and circumstances.

The book is very easy to read but it leaves distaste in my literary mouth. I know it is considered a classic but I just do not see it, and if I did not have to read it for school I would not have bothered to finish it.

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)

Through the Looking Glass

Though this book is not much better than Alice's Adventures, the chess motif and theme does make the book much more interesting. With the bossy, dominant Red Queen and the quiet, kind, messy white queen, the book is a study in contrasts.

The interweaving of the Nursery Rhyme Characters and the frequent fish poetry references does provide more continuity and a sense of sequential events than Alice's first adventure. I also appreciated the linking of the cat at the beginning and end of the story.

It does still feel like Carroll did way too many opium pipes in his time.

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (Paperback - May 1 1984)
CDN$ 5.95 CDN$ 5.65