5.0 out of 5 stars About this edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Like Having Cliff Clavin Reading over Your Shoulder
Published on June 27 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars About this edition, March 6 2004
By A Customer
I'm not reviewing the story (we all know what a masterpiece it is :) but this edition is fabulous! It is actually two seperate dust-jacketed hardcover volumes, one for each tale, and they come in one very sturdy slipcase with beautiful art. For the current Amazon price it is a *total* bargain - I wasn't expecting it to be so nice. We also got the jigsaw puzzle book to go with it and it is also better than expected. They make a great gift for a lucky little gal!

5.0 out of 5 stars As Wonderful a Tale as has Ever Been Told, Sept. 22 2003
Stacey Cochran (Raleigh, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
I couldn't put it down, man. I checked this book out at the local library and read through the opening 130 pages in one sitting until I was falling asleep at three in the morning. Lewis Carroll's classic tale of adventure and fantasy "Alice in Wonderland" is one of the best books I've ever read.
The story is about a little girl, Alice, who falls into a very deep rabbit hole, seemingly straight to the middle of the earth! Her adventures once she lands are as wonderfully imagined as any in the history of literature. Her encounters with the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter, the King and Queen of Hearts, the Duchess, The Mock Turtle, The Gryphon, and The Wise Old Caterpillar are as fun and as pure and as well intended as any characters I've ever read a writer write.
The story behind how Alice in Wonderland came to be is equally interesting, and one worth reading up on. That Carroll wrote it without any pretension to selling it, or for money, or even to publish it, is truly one of the remarkable stories of world literature. His motives were pure, and (at least to me) this is one of the reasons why this book is so dear and so readable.
I highly recommend "Alice in Wonderland" to readers young and old and can only say that I look forward to reading "Through the Looking Glass" next! A marvelous, wonderful book, as fun as any book I've ever read.
Yours,
Stacey

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice in Wonderland- once scared me, now is cool, July 1 2003
By A Customer
My mom first read this book to me when I was seven years old. Because I was only in first or second grade, Alice in Wonderland scared the heck out of me. I remember parts were pretty horrific and confusing. I kind of hated it. It was like Stephen King for a first grader- which, if you ever go to a website on Lewis Carroll, shouldn't surprise anyone because Carroll had loads of problems and was pretty much tripped out while writing this (I think).
Now that I'm older, I decided to re-read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. While reading it, it's hard to decide whether this is just a load of imaginative creativity, or a metaphor of something deeper that is true in society today, or true in the 1800's. Well, I guess you can read it either way- but there is definitely some deep stuff in here. Many poems will stop and make you think, and as the story progresses you can't help but feel like you are Alice (which is pretty amazing, because this isn't like Lord of the Rings or anything, it's basically a fairy tale on drugs).
Definitely, definitely, definitely do not hesitate to pick this book up and read. Another review said it was disturbing- well, in some ways it really is. But the characters and the plot line (or lack of!) keep you interested and keeps you reading. AIW and TTLG are must-haves in anyone interested in fantasy/sci-fi, along with Chronicles of Narnia and other great classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Research, March 10 2001
This is a wonderful book full of meanings and delightful little side details about Charles Dodgson. This book has the answers to many of your questions about the both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass; why did he do this, what did he mean by this... It also includes secret meanings, such as a name from one of his friends, or he did this because he had O.C.D. Annotated Alice is perfect for research papers (or reading for one's own pleasure) for it gives you some information on verses, his life...all those major details. For example, did you know that most if not all of his poems were a satire on another well-known nursery rhyme or poem. It is easy to tell in the following nursery rhyme what on what poem Carroll made a satire.
Twinkle twinkle little bat
How I wonder what you are at
Up above the world you fly
Like a tea tray in the sky
Twinkle twinkle little bat
How I wonder what you are at
This seems simple enough, but do you know of what rhyme, "Beat Your Baby When He Sneezes" is a parody? The original poem was a song for babies to go to sleep. You will find all this info. and more. Cheers!...

5.0 out of 5 stars Positively enchanting......., June 15 2004
Dusty "dusty_or" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Years ago while we were on a trip I picked up three summer classics for some light reading. One of them was 'Alice'....Even tho I had read it as a child, I had forgotten just how wonderful Carroll's book was......Recently I was in a bookstore and noted that once again summer classics are out and it was in the pile once again. It can be read and enjoyed by all ages, but I think the subtleties can be best enjoyed by those who are a bit older e.g. the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, the croquet game featuring the Queen of Hearts etc. I was reminded of how much the tea party reminded me of a previous job that I had involving a variety of board members.
I guess there is only only one word to describe this classic, 'timeless'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning rendition of a classic, March 14 2004
By A Customer
This is a must for "Alice" collectors of all ages. The art is beautiful and the design is unusual.
I disagree with the Booklist reviewer that the design makes for difficult reading or is distracting. The design flourishes enhance the reading experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like Having Cliff Clavin Reading over Your Shoulder, June 27 2003
By A Customer
You're right: I have no one to blame but myself. (Fool me twice, shame on me.) I'd read another book annotated by Gardner before, so I knew something about what his notes were like. Still, I thought, who better to explicate the puns, colloquialisms, and mathematical, logical, and philosophical references in _Alice_ than one of the great polymaths of our time, a connoisseur of puzzles, and an aficionado of Victorian literature? Plus, it's hard to deny that _The Definitive Edition_ is a handsome one.
Well, Gardner has really outdone himself this time. The notes go on and on and on, eclipsing the actual text in length. While Clavin might interrupt a conversation on the Bermuda Triangle to point out the little-known fact that it's really shaped like a tetrazidrhomboid, Gardner thinks that when a character uses an idiomatic expression involving ferrets it would be relevant to mention a get-together that ferret owners recently held in New York City's Central Park. Much of the inside information Gardner does provide is along the lines of telling us that this character is based on Alice Liddell's third cousin, once removed, or that that character is named after Dodgson's pet gerbil.
I think Gardner may have finally succeeded in turning me off of annotated editions for good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Wanted To Know About Alice..., Dec 26 2000
J. Carroll "Jack" (Island Heights,NJ) - See all my reviews
Anyone who enjoys Alice's adventures will appreciate the care and detail that was taken in preparing this version of Carroll's tales. Gardner's annotations are superb and you realize they are just the tip of the iceberg when delving into the complexities of Carroll's Alice stories. Easy to follow annotations accompany excellent Tenniel reproductions. With the addition of the excised "Wasp in the Wig" episode this is a must for anyone who enjoyed these tales and would like to get more information about their creation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pysco but Cool, Feb. 15 2002
By A Customer
In this book you find out about a little girl named Alice who falls down big holes, eats strange mushrooms, and shakes a chess piece so hard that it turns into her kitten. Join Alice in her adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass. This book is so totaly unpredictable and exiting that you can't put it down. It also makes you wonder and wish this could happen to you. Take a walk through Alice's imagination and read this book.
(I'm so cool.)

5.0 out of 5 stars This should not be your first introduction to Alice, Nov. 24 2007
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alice in Wonderland (Hardcover)
An occasional review will focus on this point. Alice in Wonderland is no more children's book than, "The Lord of the Rings".

The reason this five star book gets less stars occasionally is not because of its contents or purpose; it is because of either being mistaken for a kids book, in which case one wonders why it is forced on kids, or it is so dated that even the reader thinks it is gobbledygook.

You will find the book full of references to items of the time and play on words of the time.

If you fall into either of these categories then you need to first purchase "The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition"; this will clear this understandable confusion. Be aware that every sentience is a play on words for a jab at the culture of that time.

I will not go through the story, as that is why you are buying this book. However I will say that it is a classic and should be part of everyone's cultural education.

When you make it through this book and enjoy it the next challenge should be "Alice's Abenteuer Im Wunderland" German Translation.

If you are also interested in sci-fi then try to get a copy of "Mimsy Were the Borogoves" by Henry Kuttner.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (Paperback - May 1 1984)
CDN$ 5.95 CDN$ 5.65