Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SmartSaver SGG Tools

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on September 18, 2002
I was surprised to find that I had been given this book four years ago. Time does fly, it seems, because I find it hard to believe that I've been working my way through the Wolfe books for over four years. But it's true. I am nearing the end, however, and Stout isn't failing yet. While I'm slightly disappointed to discover that every Wolfe novel revolves around not just a mystery, but a murder, I can also understand that this was Stout's formula for the Wolfe stories and to wish it different would be like wishing that Wodehouse had written westerns. Stout continues to be increasingly frank regarding sex in these books--I wonder if the books written in the 70s will go even further. I doubt it. Too much more change in this area and it wouldn't be the same formula.
on April 9, 2015
No matter how you cut it, Rex Stout always wrote extremely readable Mysteries. I don't know how many times I have read each of his books, but knowing the solution doesn't matter, it's the characters and the writing that brings me back. This was one of his best (I wore out my 1st copy)
on June 26, 2015