5.0 out of 5 stars The Valley of Horses
The Valley of Horses
This book by Jean Auel is a wonderfully written book.you really get caught up in the story.
Very well written.
Published 7 months ago by Maxine Brennan

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED
Published 10 months ago by j

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Clan of the Cave Bear, March 10 2014
This review is from: The Valley of Horses: Earth's Children, Book Two (Mass Market Paperback)
I was so disappointed when reading this book. It was very clear from early on that this was no Clan of the Cave Bear. Not by a long shot. I was so invested in Clan of the Cave Bear. It is definitely one of my favorite books. I made it to 200 and something pages and had to stop reading Valley of the Horses. If someone asked me what this book was about, I would literally say its about nothing. I am very happy I didn't go out on a whim and order all the books in the series because I doubt I will read anymore of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Valley of Horses, Sept. 1 2013
The Valley of Horses
Very well written.

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED, June 19 2013
This review is from: The Valley of Horses (Hardcover)
I WANT TO SAY I AM REALLY IMPRESSED AT HOW FAST MY ORDERS ARE HANDLED IT IS REFRESHING TO SEE A SELLER HANDLING AN ORDER IN A IMMEDIATE MANOR . THE BOOK IS IN EXCELLENT SHAPE I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT CONDITION . HAVING SAID THIS I AM DISAPPOINTED ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE BOOK I HAVE OTHERS IN THIS SERIES THIS WAS THE LAST ONE I NEEDED. I WAS EXPECTING IT TO BE LIKE THE OTHERS 700+ PAGES .THE ONE I RECIEVED ONLY HAS 502 PAGES . BOTH ARE PUBLISHED BY CROWN I'M A LITTLE CONFUSED ABOUT THIS. IS THE FIRST EDITIONS ONLY IN THE LARGER SIZE ? THIS BOOK IS NOT WHAT I WANT, BUT HOW CAN I TELL THE NEXT ONE I BUY IS THE RIGHT ONE ?? I HESITATE TO ORDER ANOTHER IN CASE ITS WRONG TOO WHAT CAN I DO TO ORDER THE RIGHT BOOK TO COMPLETE MY SET?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, April 3 2013
These books are in a series and I enjoyed reading all of them. They give a fairly accurate account of early history, I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leonarda da Stoneage meets He-Man, July 7 2004
After reading Clan of the Cave Bear, of course I had to read The Valley of Horses to find out what happened to Ayla.
Although I felt sometimes reminded of "The Island of The Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell, I found the author's descriptions of Ayla's life in the valley interesting and this is the only reason why I give this book four stars.
The story of Jondalar and his brother was often boring and towards the end of the book, I skip-read most of it. I find Mighty Hung Jon one of the most irritating characters I've ever encountered in a book. It would have done the story a lot of good if he hadn't been created as such a (physically) perfect specimAn.
The book as a whole would have profited from more thorough editing, especially the deletion of unnecessary and boring descriptions (e.g. of boat building). 100 pages less would have made a big difference!
All in all, I found it a nice, easy read for a lazy Saturday. The story is mostly predictable. No challenge whatsoever, except (sometimes) of my patience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuck, Nov. 18 2002
red (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Valley of Horses (Hardcover)
An out and out bad book. The dialogue is corny, and the scenes are quite boring especially those with Jondalar and Thonolan. I skipped a lot of pages because I couldn't bear to read through their dumb scenes. It's supposed to be prehistoric times but these two characters talk like they're in 2002 L.A. with the main goal of scoring on women. Pretty [bad]. How this book ever got good reviews from the critics is beyond me. The only interesting scenes are those with Ayla. Clan of the Cave Bear is really good but don't waste your time on this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY slow start, July 4 2003
C. Hill (Oregon, U.S.) - See all my reviews
The first 18 chapters of this book really dragged. The story of Jondalar and Thonolan was exceedingly dull and could have been at least half as long as it was. For having so little pertinence to what happens later, it was way too long. Alya's intermittent story in the first 18 chapters was still worth reading, though. But it wasn't until chapter 19, when Jondalar and Ayla meet that it started to get really interesting. After that, the book was a much faster read. But considering that 75% of the book isn't that great, it was somewhat of a disappointment, after the every-page-is-interesting Clan of the Cave Bears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first one, but enjoyable, March 20 2004
By A Customer
Ayla's character is still strong and interesting. She survives years on her own in a land of beauty and danger. This part of the book is good, but the rest of the book details the travels of Jondalar, a physically perfect specimen with the mind of a 16-year old. His inner struggle with life-long prejudices and worries over social status become boring. And contrasting with the first book, this second book introduces numerous graphic sexual encounters that add nothing to the story. While the "Clan of the Cave Bears" is a wonderful book for teenagers, this one is definitely not. The best way to read it is to skip every other chapter and just follow the story of Ayla's survival.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fascinating!, June 22 2004
This review is from: The Valley of Horses (Hardcover)
I just had to say something about Jean Auels books, after reading the many reviews I've found. I'm just now getting into reading historical fiction. Clan of the Cave Bears really kept my attention, as the author did such a wonderful job of describing Ayla's life as she was raised by the Neanderthal Clan. The final actions taken by the Clan to put the death curse upon her were a litle surprising, but of course without Ayla leaving the clan, there would likely only be one book instead of the 5 in the series. The Valley of the Horses gave an awesome account of the adolescent girl teaching herself about survival skills, which she honed in order to stay in the Valley for 3 years alone. Jondular entering the picture was her first opportunity to see the "Others" that were more like her than the clan was. I did not object at all to the sex scenes. After all, sex is a part of almost everyone's daily life, and like it or not, it's how we all got here! To make it sacred and beautiful made it all the more special And it also lent a sharp contrast to the way the Clan treated sexual activity.
The novel certainly held my interest from beginning to end. Auel's descriptions sometimes do get a little lengthy, but she weaves them into the plot with a great deal of skill and knowledge,making the reader feel like she is part of it all. Spellbinding! Couldn't put it down!

1.0 out of 5 stars 20th century cheap soap opera thrown into prehistoric times, Aug. 17 2002
Let me be mild.
This book is bad.
There, I've said just about all you need to know, but for the purposes of explanation, I point to our main character, the oh-so-perfect Ayla, demonstrating all the perfect qualities of modern "liberated" woman, but somehow in prehistoric times. Ayla can do everything- as a metaphor, this is great; for any sense of realism, this is ... For all the botanical and geological details the author throws at us, she seems to love to project her own attitudes onto a totally different time scale where none of this makes sense.
Then, when our two perfect protagonists, the powerful, empowered Ayla and the sensitive, caring, Jondalar, meet up, they mate (in excruicating detail)and I'm sure they produce the most perfect little blue-eyed blonde haired little baby who then spawns a new race of supermen.
As for Ayla's "discoveries", I'm waiting for her to create a supercomputer and start programming artificial intelligence to travel to other planets.

ARRAY(0xabc6fba4)

The Valley of Horses: Earth's Children, Book Two
The Valley of Horses: Earth's Children, Book Two by Jean M. Auel (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 1 1984)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49