5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!
I'm sorry if I don't wax all eloquent and stuff about all the stuff I love in this book, so I guess nobody will find my review helpful. that's okay. you won't hurt my feelings. I still love this book. It's all about his words and the order he puts them in. it makes me wish I could speak as beautifully as he does. but I'm just a birdygirl.
Published on Feb. 11 2004 by birdygirl74

3.0 out of 5 stars "Magnolia" would be a good comparison (ironically enough)
Albeit this is my first Tom Robbins novel, and I did enjoy the romp through history and learned a lot about botanicals, but about midway through the book, I found myself asking "What IS this all about?" The book is funny, bawdy, well thought out with intersting philosphies throughout, and Robbins IS a master of wordplay and unique metaphors. But like P.T...
Published on Jan. 28 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, Feb. 11 2004
"birdygirl74" (San Francisco, USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars required reading for anyone and everyone!, July 10 2003
"kkrol36" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jitterbug Perfume (Paperback)
Tom Robbins is a writer without an equal in this world today. He
has helped me deal with "reality" and keep my "sanity". He has
more insightful sightings, and ingenious prophecies than any
of the other writers I've read. You must read ALL his books,like I have, countless times, in order to get all his messages! There is no other other writers, besides Gilda Radner, that can make you cry at the begining of a paragraph,
then laugh off your seat at the end. He is also an expert on health, especially with the hot baths and cold rinse, it is a
medical standard, I'm an EMT and working on a paramedic, then doctor's degree. I feel sorry for anyone that hasn't shared his
joyous scribes, and I suggest you run to your nearest library
to enrich your imagination!! As I said before, he's an expert
in this book, with his message of heating and cooling your blood. It's cured me, along with the belly laughs that no other
other writer can give me, and believe me, I've read ALL of them. Three cheers and many, many, thanks to this very insightful man for sharing his ideas with the rest of the world.
Thanks again, a Godzillion times, for sharing your thoughts with
the rest of us in our hopeless, pitiful world. Kathleen Krol

5.0 out of 5 stars A mud-covered priceless jewel, Nov. 3 2011
This review is from: Jitterbug Perfume (Paperback)
The completely linear thinker; the person who demands a beginning middle and end, complete with protagonist, threatening antagonist and the girl and riches our hero gets at the end will either be mildly annoyed or intensely frustrated at the plot. There is a storyline, to be sure, but it isn't as important as what Robbins is actually saying.

It took me one read-through to satisfy my curiosity. I thought "where is this going? And what does perfume and beets have to do with any of it?". Even that first exploration of the novel opened my third eye - the one I didn't know was even there.

Once the basic plot was understood, a second read-through was undertaken. Then a third, and a fourth. Slowly, the perfume in its pages seeped into my consciousness, and the resulting joyous epiphany became evident. This was more than a book about an ancient king named Alobar. It transcended Pan. It detested the "logic" inherent in the western lexicon. It objected strenuously at the fallacies we accept as true, the assumptions we mistakenly adopt in our walk through life.

The book enlightens as gleefully as it promotes an unapologetic lust - or blush, depending upon the reader's sensitivity. In short it embraces life on a scale that no other book I've read has been able to approach, before or since.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my favorite books, Nov. 27 2013
This review is from: Jitterbug Perfume (Paperback)
Excellent writing. Interesting and unusual story. You'll have no idea where its going but enjoy getting there. Its a nice change from some of the tragically predicable books that are on the market these days.

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess I just wasn't ready for it., Jan. 2 2012
David Sabine (Canada) - See all my reviews
I read and loved so many of Tom Robbins' books but Jitterbug Perfume didn't grab me like the others. Perhaps I was preoccupied by youthful hormones or busy studying at university -- I mean, perhaps the 'timing' of things in my life was just wrong when I started reading Jitterbug Perfume. The result is that I read the first few chapters and then stopped. I have never returned. Perhaps someday?

5.0 out of 5 stars It smells great!, Aug. 10 2005
Sandra (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jitterbug Perfume (Paperback)
I read this book over 10 years ago. It was the first Robbins book I had ever read, and indeed it is like nothing else I've ever experienced. I quickly went on to read every Robbins novel I could find. I'm only sad that he wasn't even MORE prolific. I would highly recommend this, or any other Robbins novel to anyone interested in a reading experience like nothing else they've ever encountered. Jitterbug Perfume is still my favorite and it's images are still in my mind - they are images that I will forever consider to be not only surreal, but sacred.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jittery goodness wrapped in genius, March 26 2005
This review is from: Jitterbug Perfume (Paperback)
Robbins gift for metaphor is undeniable, his talent for onomatopeia unmatched, and his ability to discover wonder in the mundane is an extraordinary gift. Yet, as someone who has read all the other Robbins novels (this was the last), I must confess that I come away a trifle disappointed from this one ... beyond his cultivated eccentricity of prose, which is charming no doubt, there is little which makes me change the lenses with which I view the world. Perhaps I am holding him up to his own (too) high standards...but I would still recommend this book for anybody who can get drunk on words.
Also recommended: THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by McCrae-not a children's book but rather a rare and heartfelt look at love, loss, humor, and pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars orgasmic!, Aug. 22 2004
carmellimorgaine (Cebu City, Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jitterbug Perfume (Paperback)
one of the best books of the century. anyone able to read should read jitterbug perfume before they die. t'is a piece of heaven, an orgasmic thrill cloaked with words!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, July 1 2004
Zeeshan Hasan (Dhaka, Bangladesh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jitterbug Perfume (Paperback)
If you have a keen sense of smell, you'll really appreciate this tale as it follows the trail of a bottle of jasmine-scented perfume down through the ages... or even if you don't, this is Robbins on form yet again. The Roman god Pan makes a cameo in this one. =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Weekend Read, June 22 2004
This review is from: Jitterbug Perfume (Paperback)
I thought that this book was a wonderful 'weekend at the lake; kind of book. Tom Robbin's writing is funny and filled with nuances that are rare in these these type of books. Normally, this kind of read doesn't exctie me, but I am a Robbin's fan now, and will certainly read some of his other books. The characters are spectacular, and the backround histories that appear throughout the book are almost reminiscant of Douglas Adams. Excellent book; I would suggest it to anyone- even though I prefer fantasy novels, this was an enlightening and fun read.

ARRAY(0xf4ad870)

JITTERBUG PERFUME
JITTERBUG PERFUME by Tom Robbins (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1985)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01