5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favourite book ever.
Published on Oct. 12 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars A Let-Down
This book focuses more on Menolly's friend Piemur instead of her and the antics of her clutch of fire-lizards. The beginning was intriguing, but a good part of the book was confusing without a backround history of Pern, and the end seemed rushed. I don't recommend this book as your first read by this author.
Published on Sept. 29 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Piemur's Incredible Journey..., May 23 2003
Silmarwen (Huntington Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragondrums (Mass Market Paperback)
Piemur is arguably one of the best singers in Harper Hall. He is eagerly anticipating his performance singing the role of Lessa in a new piece that Master Dominic has commissioned, when his voice starts to change. If Piemur can no longer sing, what role can he play at the Harper Hall? He has no patience for scribing, no skill for creating instruments and he doesn't compose, all he does is sing. Luckily, the Masterharper has a special job just for him. He is to become one of the Drummaster's apprentices and learn the drumbeats that deliver messages over the continent of Pern. Unfortunately, he is not well received in the drummer's tower and barely escapes lasting harm when his fellow apprentices play some nasty pranks on him. But the Masterharper is not done with Piemur yet and quickly sends him out with Sebell to do some unobtrusive information gathering at Lord Meron's hold. Piemur is excited to be of help, but his natural curiosity gets the better of him and he finds some fire lizard eggs. Ever since he started helping Menolly feed her fair, he has desperately wanted a fire lizard egg of his own, a queen, naturally. He cannot resist the temptation and steals one of the eggs. When it is noticed, Piemur is forced into hiding and finds himself on the largely uninhabited Southern Continent. Unsure of who is friend and who is foe, Piemur sets off to make a home for himself and to forge a new life with his fire lizard, Farli, his runnerbeast, Stupid, and his own quick wits to aid him.
Dragondrums tells the tale of Piemur, one of the first harpers to befriend Menolly (Dragonsong & Dragonsinger) when she came to Harper Hall. He was a rascal in those books, but a very loveable character. I gave this book 4 stars because I felt that Piemur changed quite abruptly from that fun-loving boy into a secretive, solitude-seeker, which is completely opposite from what he was before. I know that it is high time that he grew up and changed, but I did not feel that it was in necessarily a good way. I still enjoyed the book and feel that anyone reading McCaffrey's excellent Pern series will not want to miss it because it offers some critical links as to what is happening on Pern in general between Dragonsinger and The White Dragon, but I enjoyed Dragonsong & Dragonsinger (book 1 & 2 of the Harper Hall Trilogy) much more so I was a little disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Piemur's Incredible Journey..., May 23 2003
Silmarwen (Huntington Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favourite book ever., Oct. 12 1999
This review is from: Dragondrums (Mass Market Paperback)
I can truly call Dragondrums my favourite book that I've read so far in my life. It was poignant, realistic (although it's a sf/fantasy story set on a different world far into the future) and eloquent book, and by far the best of Ms. McCaffery's books. I've read nearly all of her Pern books, and love them all, but this one tops them all. Her choice in words has always seemed to me to be outstanding and aboslutely perfect, and her characters are five demensional. I stayed up until 5:30 AM reading this book the first night I got it. I've read it three times since getting it a couple of days ago, and the only problem I find with it is that it's not longer. If only there were more of it! I disliked Piemur when I first read 'The White Dragon,' but after reading this and Dragonsinger, he became easily my favourite character on Pern, topping Sebell, Menolly, Lessa, and even (though it's hard to believe) Master Robinton - no, I take that back. Nothing can top Master Robinton, although this comes close. I give this book one hundered stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful McCaffrey book!, Aug. 30 2002
Dawn Smoker (Mechanicsburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragondrums (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the third book in the Harper Hall trilogy. The heroine of the two previous books, Menolly, now a confidant journeywoman, does appear and has some wonderful romantic moments, but it mainly revolves around her friend,the charming, young scamp Piemur. He believes his beautiful Soprano voice is his only asset to the Harper Hall. When his voice begins to break, he feels at a loss, but finds out that his ingenuity and intelligence are just as valued by the Masterharper Robinton as his youthful voice was. After a period of rough adjustment and a violent encounter with jealous rival apprentices, Piemur's other talents gain him a fire lizard and take him farther from the Hall than he ever dreamed--all the way to the mysterious Southern continent of Pern. This book allows the reader to glimpse at the hidden side of the Hall. Teaching and entertaining are not the only tunes a Harper can play in Pern!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book., July 29 1999
This review is from: Dragondrums (Mass Market Paperback)
The concluding book of the trilogy fooled me at first. My sister that introduced me into Anne McCaffrey said this is mostly about Piemur and not a lot about Menolly, I thought they would only mention her name once or twice. Boy, was I wrong! It turned out to be my second favorite. I was glad Menolly became most confident. Did I mention I was also cool with the thing between her and Sebell? Menolly doesn't realize it a first, but she finds out Sebell is totally head over heels in love with her.
If you like Anne McCaffrey, you may like Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time books and Robin McKinley's Deerskin, Beauty a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ!, March 25 2000
This review is from: Dragondrums (Mass Market Paperback)
I began my obsessive reading of my McCaffrey books with Dragonsong, then plowed my way through the rest of the Harper Hall trilogy. At first I was a little apprehensive when I heard it wasn't about Menolly, but when I found that Piemur was the main charcter, I knew i HAD to read it! This book is so well written and absolutely wonderful for McCaffrey fans. My emotions ran high with the book; when Piemur lost his voice, I was sad with him; when he took off with Lord Meron's gold fire lizard egg, I was dancing in glee and laughing at Meron's rage; and I could feel Piemur's terror when he saw the ominous cloud of Thread descending upon him in the Southern Continent. This is an excellent work, YOU MUST READ THIS!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragondrums, Dec 29 2003
Kat,Kat (Iowa City, IA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragondrums (Paperback)
Piemur has always known that he is at Harper Hall because of his perfectly perfect voice and that some day his voice will change. But on the day his voice does begin to change he wonders for the first time where he belongs. No longer having the perfectly perfect voice that he used to Piemur is sent to the drummer heights to learn to be a drum messanger. But only when he goes with a journeyman harper to a far off hold and is strangely misplaced to a place even farther away does Piemur begin to understand who he truely is.
This was a marvelous book, although I still really like Menolly, Piemur is a funny character who always has something up his sleeve!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't pass this up, July 15 2002
This review is from: Dragondrums (Mass Market Paperback)
All of Anne McCaffry's books are expertly written. She writes books that are great for kids: not too complicated, funny, and involves characters that are kids. She also writes for adults: touching and emotional. No matter what your age, Anne's books are a must read. This is one of those books that sucks you in and makes you feel as though you are actually there in the action. The books are set on a different world with an entirely different way of life. You find yourself sitting, after finishing the book, and thinking that this could actually happen in the future. You have to read all the books in the series, no one is better than the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, but........., July 3 2001
This review is from: Dragondrums (Mass Market Paperback)
I have thoroughly enjoyed the harper hall books, but, this one, in a way, fell short of what I expected. When Piemur's point of view was added to the book, and in fact, took up most of it, boredome and disapointment was constant. Although I kept on reading, only awaiting the parts when Sebell and Menolly were the points of view you looked from. The only thing that gave me pleasure in this book was that Menolly and Sebell really hit it off. And I mean REALLY hit it off. All in all, I think this book would be awesome if it was from Menolly's point of view, and if it were longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragondrums, Nov. 30 1999
Michelle M (Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragondrums (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book one in which I couldn't put down. I only wish I had read the First 2 books in this Harper Hall Trilogy. This, is the first of the many I'm going to read by Anne McCaffrey. This book by far has been my favorite book. I was a little disappointed with the ending I thought their should have been more. Piemur was quite the Character, smart and caring. I'm so glad he got out of them drumheights of Harper Hold. I reccomend this book to anyone interested in a sneaky lad on an adventure. I enjoyed this author and hope other book I read will be just as good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dragondrums
Dragondrums by Anne McCaffrey (Mass Market Paperback - March 4 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01