5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to stop reading
This is my sixth Ludlum book, and I can't say which I prefer. I confirm my statement, this is the one that got my hands stick like with crazy glue to the book. Incredible how the writer sets all the places and persons, taking you step by step deeper into the novel. Don't miss this one, you will regret it if you do not get your hands in this novel. Ludlum is the best.
Published on June 28 1999 by lhidalgo@mailroom.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining, Sept. 17 2012
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Chancellor Manuscript (Paperback)
I am a self confessed Ludlum junkie. I'm slowly making my way though his complete portfolio. Some of his novels have not withstood the test of time but this is not one of them.

After a slow first 100 pages or so I was thrust into a non-stop action adventure novel that I had difficulty putting down. This is a more modern novel for Ludlum. It deals with internal American politics and is not tied to the Nazi's as so many of his novels are.

I found the plot twists to be the most compelling aspect of this novel. As soon as I thought I knew what was going on a new element was injected and I was back to figuring out where it was going. Ludlum never lets you get comfortable as a reader. I love that about any author and Ludlum was one of the very best at this.

If you are new to Ludlum this is a very good novel but he has written better as well. I recommend

The Aquitane Progression
The Rhineman Exchange
The Parcifal Mosiac
The Matarise Circle
The Bourne Identity (Very different from the movie)

If you love a good conspiracy novel that is packed with action and a little romance. This is a book for you. It's getting harder to find Ludlum novels new so don't hesitate to grab this before they are not available anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will leave you wondering, May 18 2000
Melvin Hunt (Cleveland,, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chancellor Manuscript (Paperback)
In the years after Hoover's death the secret started coming forth. Many individuals had been covered by J. Edgar Hoover and his secret files. That notion made this book all the more believable Inver Brass in this very entertaining book decided to eliminate Hoover and the threat of his secret files. It became evident that not all of the files had been captured. People all over the country started getting blackmailed and some killed. Then members of Inver Brass started getting assasinated
The guilty party shocked me beyond belief. This book along with Holcroft Covenant are the best that Ludlum has done. Be sure to buy this book and read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, July 10 2000
Jared Garrett (Utah) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chancellor Manuscript (Paperback)
Robert Ludlum is just great. He has done wonderful research and has spun it in perfect threads and patterns in this extremely believable novel about unethical espionage. I became extremely scared of J. Edgar and the people in power, this book is so believable! The pages turn of their own will and you will have no life for a few hours. Make sure you have no commitments the next morning! Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome, entertaining thriller. One of Ludlum's best, Oct. 30 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Chancellor Manuscript (Paperback)
I don't know about others, but I loved this book. It has an awesome story and is gripping and entertaining, esp all the unceratinity that is trademark Ludlum. A must-read

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the standard by which thrillers can be judged, Aug. 16 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Chancellor Manuscript (Paperback)
I've read most of the prominent thrillers over the past 2 decade but keep coming back to this one as the gold standard. I have not encountered any other that is as well plotted and believable (although somewhat dated). A definite page-turner which I have read several times, even though by now I know all to well how it ends. I wish I could read it again fresh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly a page-turner,..., Nov. 2 2003
Bimal Gunapala (Colombo, Sri Lanka.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chancellor Manuscript (Paperback)
I wanted to give this book 3.5 stars, but since I can only give 3 or 4, I chose 4.
This is my 2nd Ludlum book. The 1st being "The Hades Factor". Comparing the two, I must say that "The Hades Factor" comes out on top simply because the hero's experiences are more believable than in "The Chancellor Manuscript". Still, the storyline in "The Chancellor Manuscript" is imaginative, plausible and enjoyable. It kept me glued to it till early hours of the morning. The main (and probably the only) downside is the way Peter Chancellor is always being presented with riddles instead of the facts even in situation where it only makes sense to present the facts to him directly. Other than that it was a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Premature, Sept. 25 2003
Len Kozempa "olrocr" (Seven Hills, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chancellor Manuscript (Paperback)
One of the greatest books I have ever read is the "Matarese Circle", which I read from start to finish in 3 days! This introduced me to Robert Ludlum, and from that time on I have read all his books. Unfortunately, over time, he became long-winded, and it was almost a chore to read his books. This is one of his earlier works, and I have the same excitement I did when I read my first Ludlum. I have been drawn into the story, and can not put it down. This is one of his earliest works when he was still on the way up. The only reason I have given this 4 stars, is that I am only half way through, but I know when I am done, I will want to revise this to 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Political Correctness Amid a Jumble of Conspiracy, Aug. 22 2003
This review is from: The Chancellor Manuscript (Paperback)
If you are going to write an "in" book - one that deals with issues in vogue at the moment - you must at least try to make it timeless. Ludlum is at his best when he ignores current likes and dislikes and worst when he uses already overworked themes. This book reminds one of the new television season in which you know that if a show about runaways was popular last year, there will be 10 others like it this year.
Hoover is an easy guy to hate with all his quirks and secrets and prejudices. He served for too long, accumulated too much power and used his position to bribe or blackmail as baldly as Kennedy, LBJ or Nixon. Still, he turned the FBI into the force it is today - a respected, professional group admired around the world.
But back to the story, the tale is intriguing in spite of its trendiness. All the intrigues - where conspiracies and boogeymen seem to pop out of every hedge - advance the plot. One thing I liked about this book is its leanness - Ludlum has gotten expansive for expansion's sake. Not his best but good for a beach read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite Ludlum but ..., Dec 18 2002
... still worth reading.
The story revolves around a massive conspiracy about whether or not Hoover was murdered. The story is told in true Ludlum style, with enough intrigue and interesting characters to keep you turning the pages. The only problem I find with this book is that Chancellor always seems to make a correct guess while writing his manuscript. I would have preferred seeing the document evolve and adjust as information is uncovered.
But still enjoyable.

ARRAY(0xb3ed02dc)

The Chancellor Manuscript
The Chancellor Manuscript by Robert Ludlum (Paperback - Sept. 1 1984)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89