boutiques-francophones vpcflyout summer Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on May 21, 2000
Its just hard. There is definitely nothing that is gripping me. Ok I did get past chapter 1 but nit far. I think I had gotten 50 or so pages in before announcing the futility. The concept sounds great but there is difficulty getting through the pages and pages of stagnancy.
on April 26, 2001
There was nothing in this story that I found interesting much less exciting. Each of the three parts was more boring than the previous. None of the characters really stuck out. This could have done just as well as a short story. A very short story. The entire story is told from the sidelines. It does a good job of conveying the boring lives that the monks live though. Reading this book was just like the job Francis did making that golden copy of the drawing by Leibowitz which took him years to finish.
I kept waiting for something interesting but nothing happened. I thought that maybe the schematic that Francis found would be the missing piece needed to create a nuclear weapon again but nothing so deep happened. There was the two headed woman thrown in at the end, but I didn't bother trying to figure out what she was for. The only thing that tied the stories together was the wooden sculpture of the saint that was created in the first part. But that was pretty weak.
Overall, this book was a big bore. Choose sleep over reading this book, it is the better choice.
on October 25, 2001
I would love to have read this when it came out first. I truly would. I think it is the only way I would have caught the spirit which seems to imbue every other review here.
But to pick it up in 2001 as I did ..... well, the closest parallel I could make is watching one of those creaky old black and white episodes of "The Outer Limits". In other words, one and a half minutes into it you're saying "saw this before, thank you very much".
I had to abandon it before I managed a hundred pages. My lingering memory of the experience is that is was like the Key Stone Cops in graphic novel format, small characterless figures stretched across an empty landscape, plodding through set pieces at pre stand-up pace.
I adore good SF, but Canticle is unbearably dated.
Let it rest in peace with "Duck and Cover".
on February 17, 1998
This is post apocolyptic garbage. No characterization, just politics. I reread it now anticipating a good work but I must have remembered another book. This is pure delusional ramblings. Politics are intricate and boring. Compare it to Lichtenberg or Butler or Brin's postman (the book of course) and it falls way down.
on March 31, 1997
This was one of the worst books I have ever read. Given the rave reviews I saw prior to reading the book, I kept reading in the hope that it would get better. It never did. From start to finish it was a constant struggle to continue reading.

I give this review to try and save others from the fate of reading such a dire work.
on May 4, 1999
TIME magazine, February 22nd, 1960 said Miller's dedication is "a scratch where it itches", and intellectually speaking, so is his book. Also claimed to be "a dull, ashy writer". Doctor George Kumler Anderson, in his "THE LEGEND OF THE WANDERING JEW": too formless to be satisfying.
on June 19, 2014
I found this novel to be one of the worst things I have ever read. Reading it was laborious, meaningless and a complete waste of my time. I actually threw my copy away something I have literally never, ever done in my life! Would I recommend it to others? Hell no.