5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest trip in the world
The summer after my freshman year in high school, a ton of years ago, I was miserable. I didn't have any new friends at school, I was having a hard time at home, and I was trying to get through everyday with a smile on my face.
Published on Dec 11 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Very much based on mythology with spirituality
This book is not for everyone, its not a guide to selling as it is more a guide to achieving greater happyness in life. It is a good book for positive affirmations, but for somebody who wants to learn the true art of selling they should read this book along with Brian Tracy's books on selling & PMA. The Greatest Salesman in the World is very much a books based on...
Published on July 23 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest trip in the world, Dec 11 2000
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
I took a trip with a bunch of people I didn't know, a 10 day backpacking trip to an island in lake superior. Our guide was a 75 year-old man named Dave. Everyday, Dave read us a chapter from this book, and everyday my respect for him grew.
The day I got off the island I bought the book and began my ten month journey through the scrolls it contained. I've followed the instructions, reading each chapter for one month, several times. I've worn out several copies and given away several others.
This book profoundly changed my life. Not only am I extraordinarily successful in terms of "material" success, but I am happier than I ever imagined it was possible to be several years ago before I went on that island. Buy this book, follow it's instructions, and even if you are never the richest woman or man on earth, you will be among the happiest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Your Best Self, May 29 2004
Carmen Matthews "The Serene Samurai" (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
All success, happiness, love, peace of mind and wealth are traceble to the 14 ideas, shared in "The Greatest Salesman in the World:"
1. Master the art of living not for yourself alone, but for others as well;
2. Prove to yourself that you can endure the life of a salesman;
3. Believe in the quality of what you are selling;
4. Make your determination to succeed so strong that failure couldn't possibly overtake you;
5. Be fully in the present moment;
6. Choose love as your greatest weapon, no matter what;
7. Persist in what you believe in;
8. Celebrate your uniqueness;
9. Each morning, enthusiastically wake up saying to yourself, "Is this my day to excel?";
10. Master your ability to fully process your emotions, in the present moment;
11. Enjoy at least one deep belly laugh a day with someone else;
12. Multiply your value each day, by 100;
13. Take actions on your dreams, now; and,
14. Instead of wishing or praying for something, ask for guidance to manifest this into your life.
And, having read this book again, 12 years after having first read it, I am pleased to see how I have and have not applied the lessons.
If you've read this book before, or others that have guided you to add value to your life, read this now, to chart a new path on your journey to be your best self.

5.0 out of 5 stars It changed my life for ever, July 30 1998
FORHEDGES@aol.com (Clearwater, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
Less than 10 years ago I was building boats making $5.50 per hour. Then one day my sister in law (Susan) handed me this book. I read it in my one bedroom apartment and immediatly followed the the scrolls in it. The rest is history. Today, I own 8 successful business of which 4 of them are multi-million dollar operations. All this because of the message in the book. If you are ready to change your life for ever then be smart, read and follow the scrolls in the greatest salesman in the world. You'll be glad you did.
Burke Hedges

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Aug. 5 2003
P. Murray (Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
This charming story is set two thousand years ago with a religious theme. The character Hafid, when in his youth, desires to become a salesman in order to get rich and win the girl of his dreams. When he learns how difficult selling is, he laments: "Why will the people not listen to my story? ... Why do they close their door before I have said five words? Why do they lose interest in my talk and walk away? ... What is this fear that seizes me when I approach a closed door and how can I overcome it?" Then Hafid obtains the valuable scrolls and through studying them, becomes the greatest salesman in the world. A few paraphrases will give the reader an idea of what's on the scrolls: Be nice to people; Try, try, again; Seize the day; Have a sense of humor; Just do it. The main message is: Don't give up.
Realize that the book is not a training manual; the scrolls are not a list of techniques to overcome buyer's resistance. Beginner salesmen, though, will appreciate the book for its inspirational value. Veteran salesmen, who perhaps understand much of what's on the scrolls, are still apt to enjoy the story. In fact anyone looking to sell what they have to say to a challenging public will find the book useful. Og Mandino's The Greatest Salesman in the World does for selling what A Message to Garcia does for management and The Richest Man in Babylon does for personal finance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Messages for life, Dec 10 2000
"janani73" (Bangalore, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
It was some 6 years back (ie in 1994) when someone suggested me 'Og Mandino'. I was not "familiar" with his name that time. But recently in the positivepress website, one friend suggested this book. I bought it immediately. I finished the book in one hour. I was really impressed by his style. The messages in the scrolls are positive affirmations which should be read in silence everyday. The message in Scroll 3 makes me more confident. This is the first book of Og Mandino I am reading, though I have read many self-help books.
Like a golf ball needs a hit to move, this book is necessary for everyone to be dynamic.
I see my days are changing to my favor. I promise this book could do magic in your life too.
I suggest one should carry this book always; it is more than a moral boost.
I repeat, read repeatedly the scroll 3 - your blood will be new. In all, this book is a life message.
I never read stories/novels. But this book has a unique way of imparting messages spun around a story of a salesman.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me sell millions!, Sept. 30 1998
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book in 1978 while a missionary in New Zealand. Later it helped me to become #3 out of 250 salespeople. It also helped me to launch over 400 software and hardware products for over 150 vendors (including Microsoft, Lotus, HP, Canon, Wordperfect, etc.). It contains wise advice essential to developing the drive to persuade, serve and win. Rated #7 in the "Chanimal" top ten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, Sept. 3 2003
Dr. W. G. Covington, Jr. (Edinboro, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
The attitude of success is reinforced in this powerful book. Readers are taught the necessity of perserverance in goal attainment. A key is given to unlock the door to achievement, i.e., "I will form good habits and become their slaves." Mandino stresses the point that true wealth is not in the material arena. Quality of life lies beyond the transitory nature of the physical. He focuses on enhancing generosity. In addressing interpersonal relationships he writes "all hate is let from my veins for I have not time to hate, only time to love." He is inspiring when he drives home a theme. His talent is in his ability to repeat and approach the topic from a new angle so that the freshness is not lost through repetition. I highly recommend this book. Its principles have positive implications far beyond successful sales work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't believe a book could hold so much power., Oct. 6 1998
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
In the summer of 94 I made a brave move and decided that I would sell books with The Southwestern Company in the US for the summer. I was just a college student in the UK so this was a BIG step for me. It was quite simply the toughest thing I have ever done. Thankfully SW give you all the tools you need to deal with such a tough task - one of those was "The Greatest Salesman in the World" by Og Mandino, it quite literally gave me a new perspective on my summer and life in general. It inspired me, gave me the will to keep going and helped give me a positive outlook on life that I carry with me to this very day. I must have read that book a hundred times that summer and thank God I did! This book is a fantastic inspiration and I wholeheartedly reccomend it to Salespeople and non-salespeople alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Motivational Author in the World, Dec 26 2003
Andy Tan (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
Og Mandino's classic tale is not just about sales. It is a living, breathing manuscript about life, written with God's love and a testimony to Mandino's own rag to riches tales.
For those who have not the luxury to meet with a mentor or a life coach, Mandino's series of "Greatest..." will certainly come as a close second.
Start off with Hafid's tale in Salesman, then Salesman II. After which, trail Mandino's curious journey with ragpicker Simon Potter in Miracle, The Return of the Ragpicker and Mystery.
His skills are based on the Autosuggestion technique so results may vary from individual to individual. However, Mandino's engaging style, backed by his personal experiences make his timeless tales delightful to read as stand-alone inspirational fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars this book is the story of my life., Oct. 28 1999
This review is from: The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't have much to say, since I am not a frequent reader. But I did spend some time reading "The Greatest Salesman in the World". As I began to read it, It really brought me down since it began in the end of the main character's life. The reason it brought me down is that my father named me after the main character. My name is Hafid, and I AM a salesman, and today I came to find out tghat my sales were the greatest for this month. I was really compelled to find Mr. Mandino, since he visited my country (Costa Rica) about 21 years ago. I still have the copy of his book in Spanish signed by him. All I want to say is Mr. Mandino's book is the story of my life.........but my life is not near the end. It's just beggining.

The Greatest Salesman in the World
The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1983)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.82