4.0 out of 5 stars Good read
This book was a little harder to get into, but it is one of a series and very interesting. If you like ancient history, this is a good series to read.
Published 12 months ago by Donna Jean Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Immaturity
Published 17 months ago by Richard Wolfe

3.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Immaturity, Nov. 16 2012
This review is from: The Mammoth Hunters: Earth's Children, Book Three (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm reading it now .. and if I could climb into the story and kill any one of the three combatants in this on and on and ongoing love triangle, I would. I would bring an iron hammer and beat any one or two of the triangle into a mush of hide tanning brain mucus. I'm soooooo sick of hearing over and over again how the hero and heroine keep misreading each others body language but how everyone else in the community can. I wanna kill something... a mammoth in a WWE wrestling competition would be good .. or a rogue bison that runs naked through the lodge .. almost anything would allow me to suspend my disbelief again. This is an Emo book with repeated repetition of the repetitive infantile courting emotions. I'm a grown guy so I'm overly predjudiced against romance novels to start with but I love a good story. The Clan of the Cave Bear and the Valley of the Horses were very interesting stories. I could take the romance. The Mammoth Hunters belongs under a Harlequin publishing title so I and people like me who enjoy a very good adventure read with lots of educational thought would not walk into this wall of stupidity unawares.

2.0 out of 5 stars The worst of the series, June 9 2004
C. Cotrone "chickygrrl" (Providence, RI United States) - See all my reviews
Some thoughts.
It's repetitive. In the first two books, we learn a lot. In this one, the third in the series, Auel feels like she needs to teach us everything all over again. While this may be helpful to someone who may not have read one of the other books the fact that she makes these references several times in each books is just annoying.
There's too much sex. Honestly. There's only so much a person can handle when forced to read about "her petal-like folks" and his "throbbing manhood". Granted, some of it was for a reason, such as the beginnings of Ayla's "relationship" with Ranec, but much of it is repetative as Auel's constant references to wolverine fur, the knots in Ayla's herb pouches, and Ayla's menstral cycle.
It's boring. When I get it in my head that I want to read through the series, I will either skip this book entirely, or skip about 400 pages in the middle. The Ayla-Jondalar-Ranec love-triangle in the middle of the story serves no purpose in the plotline. Much of the relationship is based on sex, which just ties into my previous point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, April 3 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

1.0 out of 5 stars series progressively getting worse, Aug. 6 2004
I read the Clan of the Cave Bear for a project in school and thoroughly enjoyed the entire book. I decided that I would read the entire series. The Valley of Horses was a good book but the chapters I enjoyed dealt mainly with Jondalar and his brother Thonolan, not Ayla. I pushed on to The Mammoth Hunters and decided to stop reading the series here. This book basically bored me to death. As in the other mostly negative reviews I have the same beefs: too much sex, Ayla can do no wrong, and things are repeated far too often. Props go out to anyone who finishes this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and Unbelievable, June 7 2004
I read the third book in spite of how much I disliked the second one. I figured if the third one was ok I would take the average of the three and move forward. Mammoth Hunters was a little more interesting than Valley of Horses simply because there are more characters to focus on. But overall I can't say I really enjoyed this book either. While I like the idea of anything out of the ordinary, I am also a realist. The more realistic elements a story has-in spite of its oddities-the more memorable and enjoyable, in my humble opinion. I think it takes great ability to craft believable stories from out-of-the-ordinary ideas. With that said...
This series definitely shows that Auel has a great mind for researching and remembering facts and information, she is obviously quite a scholar. The idea of writing a novel series about this particular period in time is a great idea and some of the minor details of the world she has created are very clever, however, her ability to craft a believable, stimulating story with deep, believable and multifaceted characters, around the information she presents is highly questionable. Honestly, I cannot believe these books were bestsellers.
My main gripes:
First, the whole relational struggle between Jondalar and Ayla is just plain stupid. They are living with the Mamutoi who are supposedly very open and frank, often times asking terribly personal questions to satisfy curiosities, and yet NO ONE in this unbelievably open society was willing to say anything about a misunderstanding that was so blatant??? Totally inconsistent and annoying. The way Auel resolves relational conflict of any kind is extremely evasive. The relational struggles of the Mamutoi before the summer meeting and then during are always resolved by Ayla displaying some sort of superiority to the others and they are simply marveled into quiet idolatry. Voila! Conflict resolved. Not exactly what I would call realistic. And the lion shows up at just the right time. How convenient. Not only that, but the way she eventually resolves the ultimate conflict between Ayla and Jondalar is so anticlimactic that you wonder why she spent 600 pages building up to it. While it's true that individuals outside of a collective are often times more creative and innovative in some ways out of necessity, and quick to break cultural molds that may inspire awe in those more ingrained in a strict social structure, Auel takes this concept to an unbelievable extreme.
Second, the animal behavior is just ridiculous and probably the most fictitious part of the story. Wolves and dogs are as different behaviorally as dogs and cats are. While it *may* be true that dogs evolved from domesticated wolves, Auel takes thousands of years of evolutionary leaps in one fell swoop and suddenly our "Wolf" is wriggling and waging his tail, drooling no doubt, and playing fetch with the children. Ayla must have special powers indeed! What an amazing woman! Granted, not everyone has had the opportunity to raise a wolf pup to adulthood, but I can tell you from experience that Auel's Wolf doesn't act like a wolf. Especially in his interactions with Ayla-particularly when scolded-who is the alpha female.
Lastly...
Pedantry. Ugh. The thing that made this book most unbearable is the fact that Auel underestimates her readers in the extreme. Instead of making a point A and then moving, at a later time in the story, to a logical point B and letting the reader fill in the blanks, she presents all of the background information with the new point, again and again and again to make sure you get it. Every time she introduces a new part of the logical progression she gives you A, B, and then C. Next time, it's A, B, C and then D. No jumping just to D. No, we must first endure paragraph after paragraph (and some times page after page) of the same material, with almost identical phrasings to the previous diatribe, before she gets to the next point. For example (only one of many), we are all acutely aware of the issues with clan women hunting and how Ayla felt about that. It was THE issue in the first book. It was discussed thoroughly in the second book. Why must we hear it again and again and again every time a new hunting situation comes up???? Surely a person of average intelligence can connect the dots! This quality of her storytelling gets really, really, really old after a very short time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Enough is enough!, Feb. 4 2003
Francisco "fchavez" (Mexico City, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Hunters (Hardcover)
That is what I felt after finishing this book. The quality
and interest of the series has been continuously declining
since the first book. The idea behind the series is extraordinary and the first book is excellent. I could not wait to see what will happen to Ayla... But then, Ayla's character becomes
so disproportionately strong that shadows the other elements
of the story and undermines its credibility. I suspect Ayla is a projection of the author's
inner heroine, with everything he wants to be. A nice job in
destroying an initially lovable character. After this book I do not care about Ayla anymore! And it's a pitty because I think that the idea
and the first book deserved a much better follow-up.
Two more books to go: I do not think I can stand more
super-Ayla!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too tedious for words, Oct. 3 1997
If Ayla was really as smart as she's supposed to be, she wouldn't be appearing in any more sequels.
The love triangle is straight out of daytime TV: "he acts one way, but for some reason I'll just assume he feels completely the opposite". Ayla's accent is continuously described as too small to notice...but everyone does the instant she opens her mouth. Everyone in the book is just great, except for the token one-dimensional bad-guy who turns good in the end.
These savages are so elegant, we expect to see a pre-historic Martha Stewart behind the next mammoth hide. Ayla is already Amelia Earhardt, Joan of Arc and Mother Teresa rolled into one. Read it if it's the only book in the house (this includes the dictionary and the phonebook).

1.0 out of 5 stars I almost threw this book out of the window.., Aug. 26 2002
Rajat Suri (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
What a terrible book. I thought I had read some bad books before, but this takes the cake.
Auel tried to create a love triangle with Ayla, Jon and Ranec. And it was so stupid. If the characters just had the sense to talk to each other, it would have been over in a couple of seconds. But noooo, Auel has to save that moment for the very end as her "climax". She draws out the story forEVER and repeats herself so many times that I was mentally beating myself up for reading such an "abomination" of a book. (pardon my pun)
Ayla becomes God in this novel. Sorry, but its true. Everyone else in the clan all but prays to her might and you get a sense of deja-vu when she adopts yet another animal after killing its mother. She invents all this stuff and the Spiritual Dude of the Mammoth Hunters tells her she has every Gift in the book. It's just too unrealistic.
A waste of three good hours (I skim-read all the boring parts). If I hadnt borrowed it from the library, I would have asked for my money back. A sad thing to happen to what was otherwise a good series. Skip this book and go on is my humble advice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Painfully Drawn Out, June 16 2002
Nicole Laflamme (Rittman, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
I thought Clan of the Cave Bear was great; it was an interesting and unique story. The characters were like-able and well constructed. The second book was fine, but predictable and romance novel-ish. The plot drowns in descriptions. The Mammoth Hunters however, was downright painful. Pages and pages of angst, all of it contrived and repetitive. I was practically grinding my teeth in agony over the never-ending Ayla/Jondalar/Ranec love triangle. Nothing in this book is new, and all of it is predictable. Only until the last few chapters did the story finally pick up and move on (literally). If you want to know the plot, read the book jacket, and it will tell you everything you need to know. Then move on to the next book and hope it is better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth reading, April 2 2002
By A Customer
Most of the book is about a big argument between Ayla and Jondalar. I found this very unplesant to read. I kept trying to slog through the argument part because I liked the first 2 books but I am giving up on this book 300 pages into it. I don't recomend this book.

ARRAY(0xaca6421c)

The Mammoth Hunters: Earth's Children, Book Three
The Mammoth Hunters: Earth's Children, Book Three by Jean M. Auel (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 1 1986)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49