5.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining!
This has got to be one of the best science fiction series I've ever read. The scope of this book and the sequels is amazing, it really keeps you glued to the page. Action packed, great character development, cool technical and scientific concepts, its all there. And many interesting thoughts about the role of religion etc, so it really makes you think. I really didn't...
Published on Nov. 5 2007 by Susan W

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best scifi
Not sure why this deserved a Hugo award. The book has some excellent ideas but overall was disjointed and lacked cohesion. I had the impression Simmons was setting the stage of some grand saga rather than writing a novel that was itself complete.
Published 1 month ago by Steve

‹ Previous | 1 2 338 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My 100-word book review, April 12 2007
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are searching for epic, literary science fiction with overtones of horror, look no further. Hyperion is a complex and intelligently written novel set in the far future, where opposing cultures are on the brink of war and where a small band of pilgrims are journeying to the mysterious Time Tombs. Simmons has imagined a richly textured galactic civilisation and within this milieu has created an intriguing story with multiple threads and which works on many levels. Better obtain The Fall of Hyperion too, as the second book carries on the story, right from where the first book ends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original beginning to a space opera, June 30 2010
Daniel Bonning (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
If you like original sci-fi and are prepared to make a commitment (dust off that trusty attention span), then Hyperion may just be the book for you. This first of a series of four novels farcast me back to my college literature class, where I studied the Canterbury Tales. I found Simmon's chausserian treatment of the pilgrim's stories quite original in a sci-fi context. This against the backdrop of some impending doom, a transtemporal bogeyman, the mysterious Ousters, the techno-driven Hegemony, the super powerful AIs, etc, etc. It's all very dense and laden with the potential for a myriad subplots. So much so, that everything simply can't be explained in this single book. To me, it was part of the appeal; a sense of lingering mystery and slight morbitity, and a constant premonition that something wicked this way comes. I didn't love all the pilgrim's stories, nor did I particularly like all the pilgrims but all in all this book kept me hungry until the end. If you read Hyperion and enjoy it, you will invariable want to read the next installment, Fall of Hyperion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Part 1 of 2 ... the only thing is you have to buy two books, July 10 2004
Michael (Orleans, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
A roller coaster ride through time and space, Hyperion will lead you to the most unexpected conclusions I have ever read (at least after book two).

3.0 out of 5 stars and another, and another, and............................, June 14 2004
M. Saxton (New Haven, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
Well written, with very good imagination and a good story line, however I grow tired with the age old formula of leaving readers "hanging". My frustration with this "novel", if you want to call it that, is that if you are writing these books with the intention of writing a sequel, at least create an arc in the story that can be finished, at the end. Basically, this is half of a novel. Spare us the attempt the grab us and slave us to your neverending story line. Even Rocky 1 through whatever had an individual story that was completed by the end of each movie. Maybe I am unjustly criticizing one author for something that has been widely practiced. As I said, I did enjoy the book, until the end. I will endeavor to read the next one, however, I see that there are a couple more in the "series" now, and if "The Fall of Hyperion" does not have some finality to it, then add another author to the "Do Not Read" list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believable, innovative world with superb storytelling, May 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
Top three best scifi book (series) I've ever read. Very well thought universe and a good story that gets better all the way to the end of the (currently) four book series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary science fiction!, May 13 2004
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
This is extraordinary science fiction. Dan Simmons hasn't only created an entire world, he's created an entire galaxy of fascinating worlds. These worlds reflect the facets of humanity, and some of the images he creates are so beautiful that you wish they were real, such as the motile isles of Maui-Covenant and their dolphin herders.
Beyond that, he has the confidence to leave much of the description to his readers' imagination, and he profoundly respects his readers' intelligence. The Shrike and the powers around are a sort of MacGuffin in this book, peripheral to the motives and stories of the six pilgrims who tell their tales. But the Shrike becomes much more prevalent in "Fall of Hyperion".
I would echo the previous reviewer who said to have "Fall of Hyperion" ready; it definitely is a continuation of this story. I didn't have it, and it took me about a month to get it in order to finally resolve the stories of these characters in whom I had become so invested.
This is one of the best books I've ever read, and stands out in the field of SF for being good fiction -- in my opinion, it stands against any other genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative and engrossing, May 12 2004
Timothy Masters (Brackney, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
I am an avid sf/fantasy reader, and I have to say that this and its sequel (actually, second half) "Fall of Hyperion" are among the best books I have ever read. The plot concept is wildly imaginative, and the execution is wonderful. It's one fascinating surprise after another, science fiction with a strong fantasy element. I loved it. Just be sure to buy BOTH books, as the first stops suddenly, leaving a craving for the second.

3.0 out of 5 stars starts well, drags near the end, May 7 2004
Ryan Thomas "Magazine Editor" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a harsh critic, so my three stars means i still recommend this book. Simmons has a knack for language, that's for sure. And being able to create an entire universe that we can understand in all its complexities is not an easy thing to do. Having said that, the book starts out really well. I'll forego plot but to say we're dealing with seven travelers on a pilgrimage, each who must tell his "story" to the others concerning why he/she is making the trip. Echoes of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales for sure, and even hints of Arthurian legend as well. The first story, told by father Hoyt--which actually is not his story but told from the diary of his mentor--had me hooked. It was Sci Fi, it was theological, it was imaginative and fresh. Simmons made Hyperion a mystery in it's own right, an unexplored planet with creepy dwellers and underground labrynths. The Shrike, its mysterious lone alien inhabitant, is either God or the Devil or just some mysterious alien who kills at will. It forged me on. Kassad's tale was pretty good, though not nearly as interesting. It was militaristic, adventurous, about a fallen soldier who should be a hero but is villified due to actions that saved the world. Not to mention Simmons delves into temporal anomolies and paradoxes during this tale and doesn't explain it all too well. Maybe that was his point, i don't know. Weintraub, whose daughter is regressing to her newborn state (who is 30 when the tale is told) tells the tale of watching his daughter live backwards in time. While interesting, and unique, it dragged on until the inevitable conclusion I knew was coming. Simmons chronicled 30 years of living backwards...it was too much. Get on with it already. Lamia's tale is pure pulp detective story. I liked it, it's fun and fast paced. Throw in an AI consipracy about murdering other AIs as well as the human race, and yeah, it could be a movie. No gripes there, all kudos. And finally the Consul's tale, which like Hoyt's is told from the comlog of his grandfather, is pretty boring. It sets up a revelation any seasoned reader is able to spot from the beginning of the book, which is not a big deal, but it takes focus of the pilgramage--and therefore the book--away from the Shrike and all its deified qualities. Basically it makes the first 400 pages moot. Then again i haven't read Hyperion Fall yet, which i most certainly plan on doing, so maybe I'm wrong. Still, it left me closing the book somewhat less enthused than when i started. This was my first Simmons book, and he won me over, and despite my somewhat harsh review, this book was definitley worth the price, and i will definitely read the series. If nothing else, this is a fresh approach to the genre, and for that he must be commended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The first step in a wonderful and creative universe!, April 26 2004
gotindrachenhart (Remington, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
While I admit that there are a few dry spots (for me at least) in his writing as a whole. Dan Simmons has me totally hooked on this series! If you enjoy SciFi and a wonderful story line that doesn't focus too much on any one aspect, but keeps your mind tingling, then you will love this series. At first I didn't know what to make of it, but trust me, give it a little time and you'll be hooked. It is the first book in a long time that has had me actually swearing when I have to stop reading and set it down :D
Also, I'm not sure what major rigersa has, but I suspect he's reading books that I'd consider a total bore. Just because something is a "classic" doesn't mean it's _good_. Sorry rigersa, I'm not really trying to bash you dude, but man, you are focusing far too much on one aspect of the book and letting it ruin your view on the series. Oh, it isn't Dante's Inferno or the like, but it is still a great story! Please give it a second try and pick up the second book!
I'd rate this 5/5 but like I said, it does have a dry spot here and there with a bit too much focus on the names of people and places, but it's all good. Just means I have to skim over a few lines here and there, nothing bad at all!

3.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative but not for me, April 20 2004
This review is from: Hyperion (Mass Market Paperback)
It was a startling revelation to realize 50 pages from the end I simply didn't care. Here I was 85% through the book and completely unsympathetic with the characters and their situations, completely unmotivated to solve the mystery of the Time Tombs and the Shrike, completely unenthused to finish the book at all. Not a good sign. I have read many books with shallow characterization. RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA, a personal favorite, has very little in terms of compelling characters. But this...
The 7 tales start out great and generally go downhill. Hoyt's tale is absolutely riveting and almost worth the cost of admission by itself. Then tales get less interesting and less interesting until we get to Lamia's absolutely yawn-inducing yarn. Never mind the Consul's tale. I was never one to let the result of a movie or book make up for an unsatisfying beginning and middle. I need more than just a clever explanation or dramatic payoff. This is why I consider THE USUAL SUSPECTS somewhat mediocre but enjoyed SIXTH SENSE. I liked Mel Gibson in PAYBACK but disliked KILL BILL.
And its why this book earns 3 stars from me instead of 4 or 5. I don't need a soap opera, but I do want characters I care about. And, although the author inserts a line justifying all the literary name-dropping in the book as a result of a naming convention for Hyperion, I admit it was tiresome after awhile to see all the elementary references to literature. Seeing the excerpted portion of ODE ON A GRECIAN URN in particular made me groan. This, however, I am willing to admit is a result of my own baggage brought in from an extensive liberal arts education.

‹ Previous | 1 2 338 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9edbfc9c)

Hyperion
Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 1990)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89