5.0 out of 5 stars Worth at least 100 times the price
I first read this book almost by accident in September of 1997. I was browsing through a bookstore out of town, and there it was. I thought $7 couldn't hurt. I've tried everything else. Why not this book?
Published on May 22 2000 by Michael Mendenhall

3.0 out of 5 stars OK if not already making progress on debt.
Published on Nov. 27 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth at least 100 times the price, May 22 2000
Michael Mendenhall "september17th" (Monterey, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously: Based on the Proven Principles and Techniques of Debtors Anonymous (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, 2 1/2 years later, I've been able to pay off more debt than I care to mention. ($20,000+ comes to mind as a fairly accurate figure). I have often wondered what makes a self-help book really helpful. There are several things about this book that I really liked.
The first is that it is not a book about investments and how to get rich quick. It's not about depriving yourself either. It really doesn't give any specific financial advice which is why I liked it so much. There are other books for stuff like that.
Probably the single most important lesson in this book, and one which has changed my life immensely, is stop borrowing money. Just stop. Do it one day at a time. When I started on my debt repayment plan, I didn't worry so much about paying off my debt as much as not taking on any new debt. If that sounds simplistic, well it is. That's the whole point of this book. It's simple. It's not easy. If you want to heal, stop the bleeding. People who are in the rat race of juggling credit cards are bleeding cash every month. Stop the bleeding first, and then you start to heal.
Another lesson I learned is the monthly spending record. My friends howl when I suggest this. Keep track of every penny, yes every penny, that comes into your life and out of your life. I can say with conviction that that suggestion alone, coupled with not taking on new debt, will make your life so much different, you'll wonder in amazement. The author suggests keeping a weekly spending record and transferring it to a monthly record. I keep just a monthly record. It takes up very little time. It's also very eye opening how much money flows right out the expense column every month. The benefit of this is it allows you to make adjustments and find out where you are bleeding. It's not enough to guess. Until you write down everything, you will never fully understand where your money problems are. You can use a computer spreadsheet or you can do what I do which is write it down on old fashioned paper.
Another lesson this book taught me is that you don't need a credit card. Now there's a revolutionary concept. If you really think about it, how many people in your life including yourself say, "I need a credit card for emergencies." Hogwash! I've had two genuine emergencies in my life where I needed money and needed it fast. Well guess what? I had two choices, I could pay with a credit card or I could pay with cash. I paid with cash. Funny how many people accept cash as a payment these days. If you want to get out of debt, get out of the credit card habit. Use a debit card. I use my Visa debit card for all my amazon.com purchases, and it works beautifully. Same as cash.
One more thing, if you use credit cards and you pay interest every month, do you realize you're making the bank rich? Do you realize you're working for the bank? Whether you like it or not, that's true. Here's another lesson. Look over your credit card balances right now and ask yourself out of all the money you owe, how much stuff do you have to show for it?
Why do I give this book 5 stars? Well, I can divide my life into two time periods. The first time period was everything that happened up until september 14, 1997 which is the day I bought the book, and everything that has happened since then. I have no credit card debt at all since reading that book. I do have a credit card (okay, I cheat) with a $350 limit only to rebuild my credit. I pay it off every month. One word of caution, reading this book can be frustrating at times because you will come to the full realization that your attitude about money is completely wrong and that you are overwhelmed with debt that will take a long time to pay off. Relax. Once you start paying off your debt, it's all downhill. It picks up speed as you go along. I know, I've done it. Thanks Jerrold Mundis for writing this book. I've saved thousands of dollars in interest because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope and Help for anyone struggling with debt., Feb. 17 2004
Mundis has been where you are. He's struggled with massive debt, considered bankruptcy, felt despair over low income and climbing credit card balances.
After years of struggle, he found the way out. His method is based on the principles of Debtor's Anonymous, and the keys to the method are these three steps:
1) One day at a time, you don't incur any new debt.
2) You keep an accurate daily spending record.
3) You stick to your spending plan.
Notice I didn't say "three EASY steps." People struggling with debt often find the steps difficult, maybe even impossible, to implement. Why? Lots of reasons, it turns out. The good news is, Mundis helps you understand what those reasons are, and then he shows you ways to find the resolve to stick with the steps.
He offers hope and then some practical help. Truly, I think this is one of the best books I've read on beating debt. I think it will feel like a Godsend to anyone who knows the hopelessness that accompanies crushing debt.
Mundis also has a website. Get the book first, though. If you're a debtor/spender this book is a WORTHWHILE place to spend a bit of cash.
Reviewer: Linda Painchaud

3.0 out of 5 stars OK if not already making progress on debt., Nov. 27 2001
By A Customer
This book would be great if you were just beginning to pay off debt. My husband and I have a large credit card debt. We quit using them 4 months ago and have already planned our expences. We used his theory of not depriving ourselves. We have never been behind in our bills and have always been able to pay slightly more than the minimum on our debts. This book did not give us any new advise on how to reduce our debt quicker. However, it would have been good when we first started out, or if we had been behind on bills.

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, I cried...no, really, I did!!, June 20 2003
In deep debt and in the dark about what to do? Buy this tape! I've just begun my climb out of the mire of debt but I feel rejuvinated, hopeful and confident that this -- my third time -- will be the last time I let my debt quietly creep up to unmanageable amounts. If you're ready to "surrender" to the fact that you have a problem and want help, the narrator provides it in a way that is non-judgemental and without condemnation. I was genuinely touched by the sincerity, clarity and compassion of the narrative. I was emotionally moved by the fact that the guidance I really needed had arrived. On the other hand, the author, at times, is hilarious as he takes you down a very entertaining and extremely helpful path toward solvency. Thanks to this tape, I'm on my way out, and done with debt for good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 6 2002
By A Customer
I majored in accounting in college, so I should know better, but I managed to graduate with a ton of credit card debt and then financed a new car. This book gave me the practical advice I needed to make a debt-reduction plan and stick with it. It also gave me some great ideas about how to stop being tempted to use my credit card all the time. I had all the credit card debt and car debt paid off in about 2 years and have never carried a credit card balance since then.
I have recommended this book to lots of people who are having debt problems but don't know where to start for help in fixing them. I have also recommended it to people who have their heads in the sand about their debt problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book!, Dec 8 2003
J. shaw (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This book is great. It gives you a chance to look at your spending humerously. and it helps you realize that you really don't have to be in debt if you don't want to be. I was encouraged and as a back up im going to attend my first debtors anonymous meeting. I have been hiding away all of my bills and late payment notices for months Yesterday i finally had the courage to calculate how much i owe. (normally this would through me into a state of depression) and i owed 36,000 more than what i kept telling my self i owed. And believe it or not im not depressed. If i had not read this book i would be at work this weekend trying to make overtime and crying the next week because i didn't have enough money. If you have bill collectors calling you and you are tired of waking up in the middle of the night trying to figure out how to pay your bills get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is a must have to stop the madness!, Dec 8 2003
J. shaw (Virginia) - See all my reviews
this book is a must have if you are tired of passing out all of your money to everyone else but you. If you have bill collectors calling your home and job you need this book. If the student loan people are calling your relatives cause you refuse to answer your phone.... you need this book. If you toss all of your bills and "pink" bills into a corner and never open them you need this book. If you are tired of living paycheck to paycheck get this book. If you keep asking yourself where did my money go? get this book. if you find yourself at the bank right before opening to deposit a check to cover for a check you wrote that might bounce. getting this book is a good idea. oh and one more if you have relatives that never seem to have enough money and you think to your self hey these are my parents i should be borrowing from them not visa versa... get them this book. I liked it so much im going to a debtors anonymous meeting today.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book was not very useful., Sept. 2 1999
By A Customer
This book did not provide much "meat"...it spent too much time prepping the reader for the right mentality. ("Take a deep breath", "you can do it", etc.) I would have liked to have seen more explicit suggestions and useful recommendations. Those offered could have been condensed into 1-2 chapters. ("Stop charging", and "leave the credit cards at home" are very basic recommendations).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start towards solvency, Nov. 30 2002
R. A Robak "rcongc" (Altadena, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This is a good book, will help you get started towards solvency. Debtors Anonymous does not endorse this book, but it is a fine primer on the road to recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing book!!, April 8 2002
By A Customer
I first read this book about five years ago, when my husband and I were deeply in debt. What shocked me was how well the writer understood my thinking and behavior - I thought he must be a mindreader! He knew all too well every rationalization and strategy we had used over the years to keep from facing our debt.
Mr. Mundis has a simple and successful solution to debt: stop debting, one day at a time. If you think this is impossible, he will show you how. We are now debt-free, yet I reread this book occasionally for inspiration and to stay on the right path. If you are in debt - get this book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›