4.0 out of 5 stars What a Team - Havers and Lynley

Published on Feb. 27 2000 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Team - Havers and Lynley, March 30 2002
S. Schwartz "romonko" (alberta canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
Havers and Lynley are the best Detective Team out there as far as I'm concerned. They are so opposite, but they work. It's nice to see that Havers takes charge a bit in this book. This is a fine example of an English "cozy", and I liked the tight plot and the story was good too. Ms. George usually has two or three main storylines going at once, and this book is no exception with two, and she has a talent for fully developing both as she gets through her story. She's an excellent writer, and I really enjoy this series. I can't wait to read another to see how the relationship between Havers and Lynley develops. I hope to see more of the talented Miss Havers in the next books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to be hooked!, March 18 1999
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
This is only the second Elizabeth George novel I have read, but I plan to read them all as soon as I can. She has a gift for making even the most minor characters appear multi-dimensional and interesting. You never feel that a character exists solely as a plot device. I found myself caring about every character, even the killer! Havers, Lynley, Clyde and St. James are worthy returning characters. Their relationships are complex and undoubtedly have a rich history and a promising future. I can't wait to see what develops between all of them in the next book. Payment in Blood will keep you engrossed (and guessing) until the very end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, March 13 2002
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
Even though George paints a somewhat old-fashioned portrait of English life, she is still able to write very very good mysteries.
Her detecive thrillers are clever, intuitive, have nice twists, good, well evoked settings, and are very well written, if somewhat OVER written.
the mystery here is first class as ever. she writes with the style of agatha christie, and comes up with solutions that the dead queen would be proud of. It is only a shame that Lynley is not quite as interesting as Poirot. However, the relationships the main characters 5 characters really are VERY interesting. they add weight, credibility, and realism to the story. they add a more personal and intimate side, and prove an ongoing drama to mix with that of the different crimes which come up in each book.
She is very good at drawing her character, and very good at coming up with agatha christie style plots. her psychology is accurate, and her writing very descriptive.
Definitely worth a read. This second book was very very good. So far, i dont think she written a bad one, and i've read nearly all of them. A good build up A Great Deliverance, and got the series off to a really smashing start.

3.0 out of 5 stars Second Installment in Lynley-Havers Series is Solid, Feb. 27 2000
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
The second installment in Elizabeth George's successful Lynley-Havers mystery series is a solid successor to the first book, A Great Deliverance. In this story, the melding of the cozy, police procedural, and hard-boiled genres that was balanced so well in the first book leans a little more to the cozy side of things, with a trip to Scotland to investigate a murder on an ancient Scottish estate (turned up-scale bed and breakfast), which evolves into a classic locked-room mystery with a cast of illustrious and spoiled suspects. The emphasis is a bit more on Lynley than Havers in this story, which is expected since he promotes more of the cozy feel, while Havers promotes more of the hard-boiled feel. However, Havers fans should not despair -- her dark side is still there, althouth a bit tempered. All in all, this mystery advances the ongoing tale of these two seemingly ill-matched yet complementary partners, by exploring Lynley's "dark side", fleshing him out a bit more than in the first book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fine addition to the mystery genre, Oct. 29 2000
Phillip Schoppy "nightraven14" (Marion Hts, Pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
I enjoy the Lynley/Havers series very much and found this book very hard to put down. The central mystery involves the death of a Playwright on a Scottish estate and the cast of suspects that were involved. The story moves from the estate to various other locations which keeps the reader interested.
There were some problems that I had with the story. There were too many characters and sub-plots involved that took away from the main mystery- including the romantic turmoil of Lynley and some past crimes. There was also a conspiracy plot thrown which only took away from the main mystery.
I did like the character development and I did feel for Lynley and Havers at various times during the novel. This is still a good mystery to add to your collection and I will continue to follow this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit More Puzzling, Oct. 25 2001
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
The mystery in this book was a bit more complex than that in George's first book in this series: the solution was not as apparent. Unfortunately, there were so many secondary characters that it was hard to keep them straight. It was obvious that these characters were there to act as "red herrings".
I also thought that the coincidence of Lady Helen being on the scene of a murder, and intimately involved, was a bit of a stretch, but was able to accept it with just a grain of salt.
George did a fairly good job of giving us more insight into the main characters (Lynley, Havers, Helen, and Deborah) and fleshed out their backgrounds quite well.
I thought that the last third of the book was far too dragged out...I found myself skimming a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little romance..., Feb. 24 2000
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
This is the second of the George books I've read (and the second she wrote), and I was slightly -- but only slightly -- disappointed. She's a terrific writer with a knack for ingenious plotting, and I would recommend her to anyone who is a serious reader of the genre. That said, I did guess the culprit, and I was a touch put off by the romance novel elements (Will Lynley find true love and happiness etc.). Still, even if Lynley's love life continues to be a significant aspect of the series (and I hope it won't be as much), that won't keep me from reading on. I'm hooked. Check George out; you won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Payment In Blood Is Bloody Well Done!, Aug. 9 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Audio Cassette)
I am a long-time mystery fan and have been an Elizabeth George fan since I first heard ''In The Presence Of The Enemy''on audio tape, so when I received Payment In Blood, I knew I would not be disappointed! Indeed, Payment In Blood is bloody well done, because it is the delicious twists and turns in search of the answer to the question of who the murderer is and what the motive was, as well as Derek Jacobi's beautiful interpretation of the soft, musical brogue of the Scottish Highlands which makes this mystery particularly enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Theatre, mystery, and love...what more can you ask for, July 3 2001
Brian Devinney (Brooklyn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
Payment in Blood is one of my favorite Elizabeth George mysteries -- primarily because it involves the theatre world and as someone who has worked in the theatre, I enjoyed seeing her treatment of actors and directors (quite accurate in some areas).
Lady Helen Clyde, with whom Lynley was somewhat in love with, is dating a member of a new theatrical production which complicates the relationship between the two. How can he proceed it this case when the result may mean breaking Lady Helen's heart?

4.0 out of 5 stars Significant improvement over 1st book, July 26 2000
Christina P. Branson "Strixaluco" (Fort Collins) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Payment in Blood (Paperback)
And the first novel in this series was pretty dang good. The only thing that gave me fits was that there were so many characters that until one was introduced at length, I couldn't get a good fix on his or her place in the story. But I was pleased with the plotting as well as the development of the main characters.

Payment in Blood
Payment in Blood by Elizabeth George (Paperback - June 1 1990)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01