5.0 out of 5 stars "Peril at Delphi" Book Review
Published on Dec 9 2001 by jemstone1015

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat boring
I'm sorry.If I'd read this Indy book first,I might not have read the rest of the series.In my opinion,there is to much lovey-dovey stuff and bad language in this book.There is a lot of action,though.I recommend reading this book while waiting for your dentist appiontment(and only taking this book to read)so you'll finish it(I did so too)
Published on April 24 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars "Peril at Delphi" Book Review, Dec 9 2001
This review is from: Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutely love this book! I am a big Indiana Jones fan (shhh!) and when Nicole let me borrow this book I was ectatic. I really like the way the movies and books incorporate legends and mythology from all kinds of different cultures from around the world; because "Peril at Delphi" takes place in Greece, Greek Mythology sets the backgound for the adventure. I especially love books containing action and adventure- books that keep me on the edge with non-stop suspense and excitement. In comparison to the films, I like the books better because I can imagine the characters and scenery any way I want to; in the movies, I do not have this choice. However, actually SEEING a movie is easier to understand than the writting style of rob MacGreggor. There were many passages that I had to reread because he had a difficult time decribing what was happening. Still, I enjoyed this book very much and I am itching to read the others in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peril at Dephi - A Good Start Down the Road of Indy Novels, May 26 2001
"jnebravo" (Dora, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
I thought Peril at Delphi was a good beginning to the novel series that fills in the blanks of what happens in Indy's life between where the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series left off and the Raiders of the Lost Ark begins. It's fast-paced, interesting and stays true to the Indy that we all know and love. However we must remember while reading this book that Indy is still young and not as worldly or battle-hardened as he is in the Movies. That's what I think is really special about the Rob McGregor novels. He lets us see the events and cicumstances that shape Indy into the gritty, Harrison Ford character of later adventures. Peril at Dephi is a must-read for all Indy fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Young, Naive, and Simply Indy, June 20 2001
By A Customer
Don't be put off by the cover art as I almost was. Indy is still the tough hombre we all have grown to love, not someone who looks confused and constipated as the art work seems to show. First meet Indy fresh from college. We see how he came to love and relish the field of archeology. The character of Indiana Jones grows up before our eyes. Along the way there is non stop heart pounding action. Once started it was hard to put down. It made me want to read all of the Indy books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, March 8 1999
By A Customer
This first of the Indy novels is, so far, my favorite. I do have to say that I put it down after reading the first half. It just didn't have the Indiana Jones "feel" to it. But when I eventually started reading it again, the last half had more than enough of that "feel". It was terrific. Wish I would have kept reading the first time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat boring, April 24 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome start, Jan. 17 2011
Great start to the series of novels. You could tell the author was a big Indiana Jones fan. He definitely created a character that is believable as Indiana Jones. Has all the elements that you would find in an Indy Movie; Suspense, action, romance and the supernatural.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pace, good story. Great Read., July 3 2013
Koopa90 (Cape Breton, NS.) - See all my reviews
I was skeptical about reading this as I've previously read novel prequels to movies and video games and they have been very disappointing. I took a gamble and hell am I glad I did. This is a true gem. Can't believe how many years ago it came out and I've only just sat down to read it.

Rob MacGregor really captured what I've always loved about Indy in the motion pictures.
Although he isn't quite the adventurer we all have come to know and love, he is only young at this point, that said, this book is well written and you can easily imagine this young lad becoming the one depicted by Harrison Ford in the movies of the future. (That is, future chronologically. Of course, they came out AFTER the film in real life)

So was there anything I disliked about this book?
No, not really.
However it wasn't perfect, that being why I'm giving it only 4 stars, but its a close 4.5 out of 5 star rating.

The pace is good, Rob doesn't linger on one subject for too long. Just enough for you to get the point of the situation without loosing interest and then swiftly moves the story along to the next plot point.
George Lucas himself had overseen some of the writing so it kept with the way of the films, though Rob was still given a great degree of Writing Freedom. Lucas did request Rob to remove a Sex Scene, which he did, to make the book more family friendly, but for some reason the following (spoiler) moment was still 'Family Friendly' enough:

(Spoiler) ### At one point, someone is shot in the face with a rifle and he details the bone fragments and brain pieces that can be seen where a characters face once was ### (Spoiler)

It's a decent read. Not too much is going on, I had expected a more, Raiders of the Lost Ark approach, with boulder chases and booby traps, but nothing like that was present. Despite that, the book was still decent and I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to any fans of the Films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rob never lets Indy fans down..., May 31 2000
I just finished Peril at Delphi, and I thought it was great how MacGregor shed some light on the younger Jones. I enjoyed the book, and will continue to read the rest of Rob's Indy adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A smashing good read!, Oct. 15 1999
I loved the character development of Indy in this one, then the suspense and the drama as the plot unfolded. Definitely one of the better books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning and fast-moving end, great book, April 17 1998
By A Customer
This book started off great with the two men, and not knowing what they are doing. I couldn't put it down. I just love Rob's books!

Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi
Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi by Rob Macgregor (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1991)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54