5.0 out of 5 stars Good book
I have read all of the books in this series and enjoy them all. If you are interested in early history, I recommend it.
Published 15 months ago by Donna Jean Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating
The frustration I have with this book (and also with the fifth book in the series) is that, after reading the Clan of the Cave Bear, I know the talent of which this author is capable. We do not, unfortunately, see much of that talent in this book.
Published on Jan. 13 2003 by Susan M. Schreiber

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, Jan. 13 2003
Susan M. Schreiber (Sammamish, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Plains of Passage: Earth's Children, Book Four (Mass Market Paperback)
Readers do not appreciate being treated as though they lack intelligence, and the extreme repetition found in this book (and in the fifth book) sends the reader the message that she is just too stupid to remember what went on before.
So much of the book became tedious and boring. Even the [love] scenes were repetitive. You could sum it all up by saying that Jondalar is quite a lover. Jondalar has a really big .... manhood. Ayla is as vunerable as a virgin, yet deep enough to take in all of Jondalar, which Jondalar really digs.
Readers feel cheated because the first book was so very, very good. But now it seems that all we are getting for our loyalty and anticipation is a lazy, repetitive effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sex and Scenery, Sept. 4 2002
"fluffymuffin" (Dale City VA, USA) - See all my reviews
What went wrong with Jean Auel? Her series went downhill fast after the first book, and by the third I was beginning to wonder if she'd run out of plot! It was over 50% 'filler' --- descriptions of the scenery, the sex, and a contrived love triangle that made me want to step in and mediate so we could get on with the story. Fans of the series might be able to hang on long enough to finish this book, but if you're not already hooked you're better off to walk away from this worm!

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm hoping no. 5 is better!, April 30 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Plains of Passage (Hardcover)
Well.... I picked up the first book in the series and should have put it down right away. I found Auel's narration very repetitive, even in the first few chapters, but I stuck with it, intrugued at what would happen to little Ayla. At the end of the book, I scurried to read the second, then the third and finally this one.
I have to say, this fourth book bored me stupid. I am not one to pass a sex scene by, but puh-lease! After the first one (a repeat performance of all the ones in "The Mammoth Hunters") I could stand no more. Between boring sex scenes, endless descriptions of pleistocene plant life (thanks Jean, we know you did some research, but enough already!) and a male lead I couldn't stand (Jondular), I probably skipped half the book in Fast Forward mode!
Am I the only person who just despised this guy Ayla was with? Who wanted her to tell him where to shove his moods and protectiveness, and run back to the place where she was happy (The Lion Camp)? Auel tried very hard to make you like this guy, but he was a whiner and wasn't going to be happy unless Ayla was bound up in a tent, unable to move and "get into danger." I really did try to like him, but couldn't see past his actions to actually doing so! The highlight of the book for me is when he gets caught by the tribe of women. As you can probably guess, Ayla goes bounding in to save him - and quite honestly, I don't think she should have bothered! He goes straight back to whining the second she hauls him out of there (he's desperate to get home and stops her from having any fun all the way through - except when he fancies a bit of nookie!)
In the unlikely event Ms Auel reads this, I am still intrigued to know how Ayla does in her new home, but please - no more repetitions!! We read it and understood what you wrote the first time. And the second, third, fourth, fifth... If you have to write sex secenes every 3 pages, can you make them shorter and less boring? We also don't need pages and pages about the individual leaves on a plant! The story arc is great - please get on with it!
By the way - does Ayla invent the wheel in book no. 5? She's invented practically everthing else so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, April 3 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Again this was a book I didn;t want to put down...!, March 17 2004
The Plains of Passage was nothing short of amazing. All of Auel's books have left me with wanting for the next one. This one even though had more than enough details and descriptions was still good. I agree that I think this one had a little too much scenary but considering the trek across Europe emphasizing the geological differences was important and just proved that once again her research was taken not lightly. (But I still think there was just a little more than needed) Also the tribe of man-hating women seemed a lttle farfetched. After a little more thought I could see it happening possibly. Even though it is hard to believe people then had the same emotions as we do now, they are still people and I would think there emotions were similar. My daughter was spawned from an abusive relationship that ended through a more aggressive assult on me sexually. I know I hated men and would see them all dead for all I cared. A year later and I still have a problem trusting men, and from what the headwoman's history was it is a more believable story. Plus, considering the type of mad men we have loose on our streets today how could it be so hard to believe that it wasn't the same then. But then I though how could all the other women of the tribe not stand up to their chief and then I thought of Hitler. So overall this book was just another one of Auel's masterpeices.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST, Feb. 14 2004
By A Customer
In the 4th part of this amazing story about unusual Ayla, you"ll find yourself always interested- this is just amazing.
Adventures- there are quite a lot, and it's the best of them all

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much detail, June 16 2003
By A Customer
I have read all the books in this series, and one thing I've noticed is that each subsequent volume is more superflous than the last in terms of detail. Auel does a great job in the first two books of describing the plantlife, people, and both physical and emotional feelings of each character. Unfortunately, she continues her series with more and more detailed explanations, even of things she's described before. I was curious how many times she felt I needed to be reminded what a "mother statuette" looked like. Once that has been described in a book, it should not be described again unless there are significant differences. Anyway, I love the story and would rate this book at 5 stars easily if only it weren't so long winded.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Great Goddess, Feb. 2 2003
Mitch R. Confesor (Davao City, Philippines) - See all my reviews
The Great Goddess
SOME people have gone gaga over the witches and warlocks of J.K. Rowling's seven-part Harry Potter mania. And some have equally gone crazy over the elves and hobbits of the non-existent "existentialist" Middle Earth in J.R.R. Tolkien's three-part Lord of the Rings fad. But dear, I choose to be neither, as I would rather go for the real-life Homo sapiens and extinct Neanderthals in the long forgotten world of Jean Auel's six-part Earth's Children classic.
As it is, Earth's Children is realist, justifiable, worldly, down-to-earth. For earthy reasons, I will tell you why. So here's why ... .
From the eye-opening Clan of the Cave Bear to the serene Valley of Horses, from the thought-provoking Mammoth Hunters to the uplifting Plains of Passage, readers are immersed into the world of a young girl as she is transformed into a teenage mother and high-spirited woman -- her heart, her mind, her values, her fears, her triumphs. Losing her family after an earthquake, blond-haired and bluish-gray-eyed Ayla is raised by creatures of the land far different from her. They call themselves the Clan, but the white men call them "flatheads" -- or worse, "animals."
In the Earth's Children series, Ayla is more than just a three-dimensional heroine as we sense her every struggle and will to live and survive in a cruel world peopled with crueler humans, mostly people of her own kind, whom the Neanderthals call "the Others."
Skillfully, author Jean Auel has molded Ayla into a four-(or even five-)dimensional character we can see, hear, smell, feel -- and even taste! The people whom Ayla has inspired and whose lives she touched along the way are all inclined to believe that she is the Mother of the Earth herself. But come to think of it, Jean Auel herself -- the Omniscient Writer and Researcher, the Pleistocene Pre-historian and Chronicler -- could just be the Great Earth Mother of the last 25,000 years.
This is no Middle Earth or Hogwarts fake. Neanderthal bones found at the Shanidar Cave north of Turkey are evidence enough that Auel's "flatheads" did exist. They're not orcs or hobbits, much less elves or witches. They may not be anatomically modern men but they are intelligent breathing beings who make tools and gaze on stars and, perhaps, communicate through sign language.
Jean Auel has humanized and personified what could have been an abstract or even boring topic in history -- or pre-history, for that matter. Like the fire in a subterranean hearth, Auel has warmed up what could have been an aloof and cold topic as the Ice Age and the glacial epoch. Tell me. Who would be bored at the sight of big ice walls and white snow fields, or red loess soil and dry arid plains? Who would be bored at the sound of woolly mammoths and giant cave lions, at the odor of vicious hyenas and gigantic cave bears, at the touch of domesticated horses and docile wolves -- at the flavor of warm human contact and affection amidst the fury of the Pleistocene Era?
Who would not be mesmerized at the crystal clear waters of the rampaging Great Mother River (the present-day Danube), which runs all the way to the Beran Sea (the modern-day Black Sea) in the early days of the vast European continent? Who would not savor the taste of fresh caviar, the eggs from the bosom of 10-foot-long beluga sturgeons which were once abundant and now extremely scarce for being the most expensive and sought-after food in the entire universe?
The only thing missing in Earth's Children is the saber-toothed tiger, although there was a brief mention of this dirk-toothed feline. And if Michael Crichton's dinosaurs in Jurassic Park and Lost World were comical enough in the film versions, wait until right-minded people in Hollywood breathe life into the chase for fantastic bisons and huge mammoths, into the hunt for white arctic foxes and pesky little wolverines.
As a skillful and classy craftswoman in her own genre, Auel has perfected a work of art as fine as the blade of an expert Zelandonii toolmaker and flint knapper, as sheer as the chiseled tusks of a master Mamutoi ivory carver. In fact, the entire Earth's Children series are more than just a "survival manual" and an "environmentalist's handbook," as some critics view them. Any book in the series would be worthy anytime of a shelf space just beside the Holy Bible, considered as the greatest work of all time.
As for Auel, well, She's just heaven-sent. A great Goddess.
MITCH R. CONFESOR
February 3, 2003
"Children of the Earth"

1.0 out of 5 stars The Plains of Boredom..., Sept. 18 2002
By A Customer
Jean M. Auel is getting more ridiculous with each book she writes. Sure, "Clan of the Cave Bear" was a little unbelievable (Neanderthals living at the same time as almost modern humans?), but it was original and at least had some plot. With "Valley of Horses", the series abruptly went down hill. It started out innocently enough, but it soon became apparant that we had a couple of gods on our hands. Jondalar, the perfect guy who everybody wants with the biggest "manhood" around, and Ayla, Wonderwoman, who is talented, smart, beautiful and humble to boot. (Not to mention the only woman who can sexually satisfy Jondalar). There was barely enough plot to keep me reading - I really was more absorbed in the other characters who, if they were at all interesting, got killed off. "The Mammoth Hunters" was bearable only because of the supporting characters. What was truly ridiculous was that Ayla honestly invented just about everything. Face it folks, if civilization moved this fast, you'd be on Pluto and I'd be on Planet X. Despite the previous books flaws, "Plains of Passage" is worse yet. The majority of it is description, and every fifty pages (count 'em!) Jondalar and Ayla have sex. That's the extent of about 400 pages. Yep. Don't bother.

1.0 out of 5 stars This series of books gets worse and worse..., Aug. 9 2002
By A Customer
The First book, "clan of the Cave Bear" was intriguing. By the time you get to the fourth, "Plains of Passage", you are wondering, when this book will pass to an end. It is the same material, repeated over and over, and over and over, and over and over. I skipped several pages at a time, and didn't miss a step. The sex scenes (and there is one every few pages) seems like the same, not even reheated. It's almost as if Ms. Auel knew that people would be skipping over this material, and felt that if she repeated the same thing over again, not many would notice. If you feel like I have made my point several times in this short review, then, well, you get a flavour for the book!
I hope "Shelters of Stone" is better.

The Plains of Passage: Earth's Children, Book Four
The Plains of Passage: Earth's Children, Book Four by Jean M. Auel (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1991)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49