5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful ending to a decent trilogy
This is one of best conclusions to a Star Wars trilogy of books that I have read. Zahn by far beats out all the Star Wars authors I have read so far, but Roger Allen's conclusion to the Corellian Trilogy had much of the same feel that Zahn had in his Thrawn trilogy.
Published on June 22 2003 by Bryan DEmilio

3.0 out of 5 stars It could have been worse
Published on Oct. 9 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful ending to a decent trilogy, June 22 2003
Bryan DEmilio (Reading, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Showdown at Centerpoint: Star Wars (The Corellian Trilogy) (Paperback)
Filled with deep rooted good characterization and actions, the author does a wonderful job at bringing the reader close to the characters as they uncover the secrets to the repulsors and Centerpoint Station. It is also the author's natural ability for good characterization that makes the sacrifices that are made in these books by many characters both heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time. This book has emotional pull as well as solid action.
The only hesitation I have toward all three books is the overdone technical narrative, which slows down much of the action (until the end). The book could easily have been thirty to fifty pages shorter if Roger Allen had cut down the technical thought process on how to fix things like sublight engines and nav computers. Still, with the way the author conducted the ending to this trilogy, this little issue can be forgiven. I can't think of giving the final book to this series anything less than five stars. It's a wonderful series overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful ending to a decent trilogy, June 22 2003
Bryan DEmilio (Reading, PA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Young love is met with a sneeze., Aug. 23 2002
Ma'chay Ta'keel (Kalispell, MT USA) - See all my reviews
I, now a 15 year old, still keep memory of the first time I ever read, which was when I was about seven. I GUESS!!! I have kept this memory. For so long it really made me. I never want to stop; I constantly found, wrapped up in this story filled with adventure, suspense, adventure, but tenderness in its own "special" way. In fact: I enjoyed it so much that I found myself. Ordering it on tape to listen to during long rides= this book is about a man that gets in the wilderness; nothing? With him, besides a hatchet, is his mother. Give to him before he left. His skills and skills lead into a surreal adventure through thick and thin, 7, from who to sleep to when to wear the next day. All in all; I belive strongly. Everyone will enjoy this book in way or another and they will find. They will wish to keep memories with them forever! Order this book today! Be ready to embark on a fabulous adventure through the mind of a confused! Yet, intelligent young, man and through the cold? Unforgiving wilderness...

4.0 out of 5 stars End to a fairly satisfying trilogy, June 28 2001
I know a lot of people hated this book because of it's somewhat inferior writing style, so I was fully prepared to hate the series as well, but as I found it's actually quite good as long as you don't expect Shakespeare. While the first book was pretty slow, and the second one pretty much just a filler novel, this last one made the intire trilogy worthwhile. The story at last begins to take on a real shape, and the real villian is at last revealed. (Yippee! It's not the Empire!) Luke, Lando, and the Bakurans are fighting the battle against the Human League in the Corellian Sector, while Han, Leia, and Mara (talk about odd character combinations, but hey, that's part of what gives this series it's charm) try to talk some sense into the Selonians and figure out what is really going on. Meanwhile, Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin, along with Chewie and two Drall who are accompanying them discover that the Corellian Sector itself is not as it appears. Anyway, while I liked Jacen and Jaina being portrayed as somewhat normal nine year old kids, and not "wonderbrats" as they usually are, Anakin was quite annoying. I mean he is supposed to be seven years old, but the way he acts is closer to a three year old! Not only that, but he is portrayed as being so naively brilliant with machines, that adults, his own parants included, would use him to win wars and such. Give me a break! Also this author seemed to have the kids and their special powers somewhat mixed up. While technically, Anakin is the strongest in the Force of the three kids, it is Jaina who is specially gifted in machines. Anakin's special power is that he is especially good at puzzles and in some ways with machines. Jaina is more good at the physical aspect of machinery. Also, Jacen is not at all good with machines, as they portrayed in this series; his special talent is the ability to talk to living things. Also, being that according to my calculations Luke and Mara will be tying the knot a little less than a year from when this book takes place, I was hoping for a LITTLE more forshadowing to the event in this book, rather than their usual "breif exchange of a few words, if that, occasional idle flirtation" ritual they go through whenever they meet. While I suppose it does hint a little more than most of the others, you still would never believe these two would end up together. Anyway, if you don't mind a book with a few flaws than I would definitely recommend this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars the end justifies, Dec 15 2000
Kevin D. Flythe (Greenville, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I just had to review this one because for one thing I've reviewed the first two and, for another, this is the best of the trilogy. It's not Hugo material or anything, but hey, it's Star Wars! We read them because the films entertained us and we hope the books will too. Well, this one delivers on that.
The action picked up in the second book, and really comes to a head in this one. What seemed to start as a small potatoes bid for independence (or non-interference, as is more the case here) now takes on higher stakes when millions of lives are threatened by the Starbuster superweapon. The superweapon is always a tried and true element in Star Wars, even if a bit overdone, but it's still fun. You get to see some really good scenes with Mara Jade and Leia having to work together, and there's more of the Bakurans in this one, too (enjoy it while you can, it's the last book to date that they show up in). But the best part of the book is that the major conflict is resolved in an epic space battle, something we really do see far too little of in Star Wars, especially ones written as well as this one was.
If you felt you had to plod through the first two books (which was almost undoubtedly the case for the first book if not the second) then you'll be glad you make it this far to see the payoff. Roger MacBride Allen actually gave us a decent trilogy. The best part of it was that there was NO EMPIRE. I get tired of the Comeback Kings popping up all the time. My regards to the author for giving us a break.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellant conclusion to the trilogy., Nov. 9 2000
Rebecca Herman (USA) - See all my reviews
The secret of the mysterious installation the Solo children found on Corellia in the first book of this trilogy is out. It is a planetary repulsor, and their is one just like it on each of the other planets of the Corellian System. The planetary repulsors are an ancient system, used to bring the five planets of the system to their present location, most likely even before the Old Republic came to be. The repulsors can also be used as weapons of mass destruction - and all the various rebel groups in Corellia want to get a hold of them. The Solo children are in hiding with their Drall tutor Ebrihim, his aunt, Ebrihim's droid, and Chewbacca in the repulsor on Drall, where Anakin activates the repulsor, inadvertently letting their evil cousin Thracken know of their location, and the group is promptly captured. Lando and Luke are with the ships from Bakura, and Leia, Han, and Mara are desperately negotiating for the repulsor on Selonia, for it is the only thing that can stop another star from being forced to go nova by Centerpoint Station's mysterious technology. This was a thrilling conclusion to the Corellian Trilogy that I highly reccomend to Star Wars fans who enjoyed the other two books in the trilogy.

3.0 out of 5 stars It could have been worse, Oct. 9 2000
By A Customer
First of all, to all you people complaining about the authors writting skills, if you pick up a star wars book and expect a classic piece of literature, I can tell you right now, put it down and go read catcher in the rye. You don't read SW books for the writing, you read them for the plot, the story, the action. So what if Allen writes like he failed English 101, its STAR WARS. I must admit, though, this book was pretty bad, even for a star wars book. First of all, I must have re-read the ending about twenty times, and I still don't really get who the bad guys were and why they did all the nasty stuff that they did. And where are the rest of the Jedi? The academy's been around for what, seven years? And there's not a single jedi on hand to bail out the poor new republic except for Luke, and Mara if you even count her as a Jedi at this point. Another thing, even though I like the fact that Allen brought the Solo kids into the story, he really overdid it with Anakin. This seven year old kid is made out to be some sort of superhero, Luke cubed, I mean come on. Like that's remotley realistic, even for the Star Wars Universe. The one aspect of the story that I can find no fault with was Q9. He was just hilarius, and I wish he could replace R2-D2. The idea of centerpoint station and it's origins was interesting. I wish it were more developed in later books. The best thing about this books was it's length. Unlike Timothy Zahn and Barbara Hambly, Allen didn't always say in a hundred words what he could have said in ten. The plot was engaging enough to keep me reading, and that's all I really ask for in a Star Wars book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Get some quality control on these books!, April 26 1999
By A Customer
Once again the lust for more easy profit from Star wars fans rears its ugly head. With this trilogy we get a somewhat tired tale where yet again the New Republic faces "Probably it's greatest threat ever." I am astounded that with all the threats the New Republic has overcome it is not yet strong enough to deal with a petty crook in less than three books. Why is it that the further away we get from Zahn and Andersson's books, the more backwards Luke and Leia's Jedi abilities seem to become. Surely this whole tale could have been shortened into one novel with a touch more ingenuity in the way the bad guys try to ruin/control the galaxy. Basically, this is not the worst Star Wars book you could read; but it almost is. Isn't it about time that Luke and Mara get it sorted and give us the patter of tiny Jedi?

1.0 out of 5 stars I hope George Lucas didn't read this crap., April 23 1999
Andy_from_NZ (Feilding, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This book and this entire series were a disgrace to the Star Wars movies, and the other excellent books that have been written. Not only did the plot suck, but it was full of holes big enough to drive a star destroyer through. Like who exactly were the bad guys, how the hell could some piss-ant planet in a minor system be able to raise a fleet strong enough to combat the New Republic. Then of course why couldn't the New Republic send a large fleet in to kick ass, wasn't it but two years ago that they laid the smack down on the Yevetha (Black Fleet trilogy) with a couple of hundred ships. Anyway aside from the stupid plot this book was full of spelling mistakes, and the grammar was shocking as well. Hopefully this guy isn't allowed to write any other books, his finger should be cut off to insure this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Star Wars book I've ever read!, Dec 23 1999
By A Customer
This book has eveything you need to make a good Star Wars book. We have all of our favorite characters, plus some new ones. Mara Jade teams up with Leia of all people. Not to mention, Han and Leia's kids begin to develop distict personalities. If you like C-3PO, well, this is his best book. We have very funny scenes with the worst combination of characters that any author could think of: C-3PO and Lando, with Lando having to admit that he needs Threepio there. Ouch! One of my personal favorite parts is at the very beginning. Han Solo finds himself trying to safely land a ship on the surface of a possibly hostile planet, with an agoraphobic Selonian in command. This is a great book, and you won't be able to put it down once you read the first page.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Showdown at Centerpoint: Star Wars (The Corellian Trilogy)
Showdown at Centerpoint: Star Wars (The Corellian Trilogy) by Roger Macbride Allen (Paperback - Sept. 1 1995)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49