5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Buy for Any Detective Story Fan
This is easily the best collection of UNABRIDGED Sherlock Holmes stories I've ever encountered. The cover is tastefully designed and has the feel of a "good old book" often lacking in today's modern printed works.

Published on April 7 2010 by WryGrin

3.0 out of 5 stars Content vs Binding
This my first foray into Holmes and I am thoroughly enjoying it. My only complaint is that the binding of this edition is beginning to come apart, in spite of gentle treatment. And I had bought this edition rather than the paperback because many large paperbacks have this very problem!
Published on June 5 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Buy for Any Detective Story Fan, April 7 2010

I've read in other reviews that "the print is too small"... I however, find that the print is no smaller than any other book more than two or three hundred pages long, and is clear and well spaced on the pages, which are light-wight to accomodate the weight of such a large volume.

The one and only thing I could say against it would be that it IS a large book, so anyone looking to read it on the bus is likely to have trouble, but then again, it's all of Doyle's works concerning our favorite detective, and that must be taken into concideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Classic, Dec 31 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
This collection of stories about the famed detective Sherlock Holmes and his faithful "sidekick" Watson is truly a timeless classic. It is filled with intrigue, mystery, romance, vengeance and ,ultimately, murder. Its beautifully constructed plot and the whole motive of the murder, the clues and the amazing deductive powers of Sherlock Holmes will hardly fail to entertain you and keep you craving for more. Not only will you find crime and punishment on these pages, but also the unique world (the 19th century England) and personalities (cold-blooded Holmes and always left behind Watson) which Doyle has created.
There is one downside to this marvellous classic. When you are done reading the book and there are no more adventures to consume you will feel nostalgic. One could only wish to relax in the comfort of an armchair in front of a fireplace while a rainstorm rages outside and Sherlock Holmes is patiently absorbing the details of another case, on No. 221B Baker Street

1.0 out of 5 stars Criminal, March 22 2014
JLC (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review has nothing to do with the work of the author but is solely based on the quality of the product I ordered and received.

To be clear, I refer directly to the paperback edition published by "Createspace"; Amazon displays the bookcover as green and cream, with the word bighousepub.com clearly visible on the back. Avoid ordering this one at all costs, it is a scam. I fell for it. I was unaware and unprepared for having to do due diligence in researching my purchasing options from Amazon, who I had previously considered to be a reputable web retailer.

When I received this book, it was obvious the cover was printed from a low resolution source material and gave the impression of having been done by someone with rudimentary Photoshop skills and a low-end printer. Upon looking inside, I was more shocked to find the pages filled with unformatted walls of text. All paragraphs, proper spacing, and carriage returns of any kind were completely removed, I can only guess to cram the work onto as few pages as possible. The result is unreadable.

I was unaware before ordering that Createspace is in fact an Amazon self-publishing company and it would appear that "bighousepub.com" are rip-off artists who have illegally published the edition through Amazon in order to score royalties from the odd sale to dupes like me.

It is an affront to the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that someone would bastardize it and then capitalize upon it in such a manner, but the bigger travesty is that Amazon is party to the creation and distribution of this sham.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content vs Binding, June 5 2002
By A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor binding on Doubleday hardcover edition, June 15 2001
J. Wilton (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
To be a well-rounded person, you must read the wonderful stories of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. You will be amazed by the number of English expressions and culural assumptions that originate in these stories.
The Doubleday hardcover binding was atrocious, however. I bought this edition to read completely cover-to-cover, so I concede the edition was in for some heavy use. But the bound pages began to separate from the cover on the first day. By the time I was done. the cover was separated, and the bound pages had fallen into a number of chunks. Even the title print on the spine had been struck twice and appeared sloppy. The book was damaged beyond usefulness after one reading.
Read the stories, but don't get the Doubleday hardcover.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Entire Sherlock Holmes Collection for only $1?, July 18 2014
Amazing Value first of all. Easily worth x100 the asked price.
With all the recent sherlock Holmes popularity (the shows and movies) it's no doubt that some people want to read the Conan Doyle origins.
A great idea by the way. The books are a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon if you enjoy mystery books.

A note for those who don't know: You will find that there are many differences between the shows and movies and these books. Don't be too surprised by that. The shows are just interpretations and summaries of general storylines.

Nevertheless, the books are a nice read for those interested in the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Feb. 24 2014
The content is good. 2 books came in a book. It has small prints. i found it annoying to read. I expected the book came a little bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who doesn't love Good old Sherlock, Dec 10 2013
Artistjohn - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have buzzed through half this collection in a week...I cannot lay my new Kindle down..It is so exciting to get back into reading again..
What with the drivel on TV these days..I go to bed early just to read...My eyes just fly across the pages and I adore the fact that to turn a page I need only use one hand...keeps everything nice and toasty under the covers in this cold winter we are having this year..
Hugs
John

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! for any true Sherlock Holmes fan, April 25 2013
Great edition!
Well kept and neat.
Easy to read and follow because of its size.
Plus it arrived fairly quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version Review, April 9 2013
This is a fantastic deal on an equally fantastic collection of short stories and novels. Every Sherlock Holmes tale is here and the ebook is well organized with a handy table of contents. As for the content itself, it's nothing short of brilliant. Holmes and Watson are both engaging characters and one can almost feel as though they are solving the crimes right along with them.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories
The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1986)
CDN$ 19.90 CDN$ 14.36