5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Buy for Any Detective Story Fan
This is easily the best collection of UNABRIDGED Sherlock Holmes stories I've ever encountered. The cover is tastefully designed and has the feel of a "good old book" often lacking in today's modern printed works.

Published on April 7 2010 by WryGrin

1.0 out of 5 stars Criminal
This review has nothing to do with the work of the author but is solely based on the quality of the product I ordered and received.

Published 6 months ago by JLC

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Buy for Any Detective Story Fan, April 7 2010

I've read in other reviews that "the print is too small"... I however, find that the print is no smaller than any other book more than two or three hundred pages long, and is clear and well spaced on the pages, which are light-wight to accomodate the weight of such a large volume.

The one and only thing I could say against it would be that it IS a large book, so anyone looking to read it on the bus is likely to have trouble, but then again, it's all of Doyle's works concerning our favorite detective, and that must be taken into concideration.

1.0 out of 5 stars Criminal, March 22 2014
JLC (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews

To be clear, I refer directly to the paperback edition published by "Createspace"; Amazon displays the bookcover as green and cream, with the word bighousepub.com clearly visible on the back. Avoid ordering this one at all costs, it is a scam. I fell for it. I was unaware and unprepared for having to do due diligence in researching my purchasing options from Amazon, who I had previously considered to be a reputable web retailer.

When I received this book, it was obvious the cover was printed from a low resolution source material and gave the impression of having been done by someone with rudimentary Photoshop skills and a low-end printer. Upon looking inside, I was more shocked to find the pages filled with unformatted walls of text. All paragraphs, proper spacing, and carriage returns of any kind were completely removed, I can only guess to cram the work onto as few pages as possible. The result is unreadable.

I was unaware before ordering that Createspace is in fact an Amazon self-publishing company and it would appear that "bighousepub.com" are rip-off artists who have illegally published the edition through Amazon in order to score royalties from the odd sale to dupes like me.

It is an affront to the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that someone would bastardize it and then capitalize upon it in such a manner, but the bigger travesty is that Amazon is party to the creation and distribution of this sham.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Classic, Dec 31 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories (Mass Market Paperback)
This collection of stories about the famed detective Sherlock Holmes and his faithful "sidekick" Watson is truly a timeless classic. It is filled with intrigue, mystery, romance, vengeance and ,ultimately, murder. Its beautifully constructed plot and the whole motive of the murder, the clues and the amazing deductive powers of Sherlock Holmes will hardly fail to entertain you and keep you craving for more. Not only will you find crime and punishment on these pages, but also the unique world (the 19th century England) and personalities (cold-blooded Holmes and always left behind Watson) which Doyle has created.
There is one downside to this marvellous classic. When you are done reading the book and there are no more adventures to consume you will feel nostalgic. One could only wish to relax in the comfort of an armchair in front of a fireplace while a rainstorm rages outside and Sherlock Holmes is patiently absorbing the details of another case, on No. 221B Baker Street

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor binding on Doubleday hardcover edition, June 15 2001
J. Wilton (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
To be a well-rounded person, you must read the wonderful stories of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. You will be amazed by the number of English expressions and culural assumptions that originate in these stories.
The Doubleday hardcover binding was atrocious, however. I bought this edition to read completely cover-to-cover, so I concede the edition was in for some heavy use. But the bound pages began to separate from the cover on the first day. By the time I was done. the cover was separated, and the bound pages had fallen into a number of chunks. Even the title print on the spine had been struck twice and appeared sloppy. The book was damaged beyond usefulness after one reading.
Read the stories, but don't get the Doubleday hardcover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content vs Binding, June 5 2002
By A Customer
This my first foray into Holmes and I am thoroughly enjoying it. My only complaint is that the binding of this edition is beginning to come apart, in spite of gentle treatment. And I had bought this edition rather than the paperback because many large paperbacks have this very problem!

4.0 out of 5 stars No Pictures!!!, June 23 2002
Amazon Customer "gwone" (Southern New York State, USA) - See all my reviews
I have only one beef with this edition of the book. NO PICTURES! If your funds are severely limited, then buy this edition only. It's complete and contains all the original stories. You can't go wrong buying this edition.
If you do have extra bucks to spare and you're a newbie to S.H., I'd highly recommend you first buy "The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes" by Castle Books, ISBN: 0-7858-1325-X. It contains all 356 original illustrations by Sidney Paget as they appeared in the Strand Magazine. These illustrations define the enduring image of Holmes and Watson as we have of them today. Even the popular PBS series by Jeremy Brett duplicates scenes from these illustrations. Unfortunately, Paget did not illustrate the first two novels of S.H. and died before he can illustrate the later adventures. But the illustrations will add much greater depth and enjoyment to these stories.
When you're finally done with the illustrated edition and you're still aching for more S.H., then get this complete edition to complete the adventures.
And if you're like me, being a British rebel (an American) and having no real knowledge and experience of what life in Victorian England was about, an entertaining reference book is "The Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Sherlock Holmes" by Riley and McAllister, ISBN: 0-8264-1116-9.
This book can be read alongside your reading of each story of S.H. It gives a capsule summary of each adventure and lists some oddities and descrepancies to each story without giving away the ending. Also, it contains chapters which explains the life and times of Holmes' era and explains such things as monetary equivelents, etc. For someone like me who doesn't know a crown from a farthing to a sovereign, it clears up many areas of cultural difference and ignorance. This greatly enhances my enjoyment and understanding of these stories.
The only reason I gave this book 4 stars was because I couldn't give it 4.5 stars. I just couldn't give it 5 stars because of the missing illustrations. A book which advertises that it's the "complete" S.H. should be complete and include the illustrations as they appeared in the Strand Magazine as originally published.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tribute to Dr. Joseph Bell, May 9 2001
Kendal B. Hunter (Provo, UT United States) - See all my reviews
Many people do not realize that Sherlock Holmes is really based on a real person! When Doyle was attending medical school, one of his professors, Dr. Joseph Bell, could deduce the life of his patients by simple observation. This seed eventually blossomed into Sherlock Holmes.
To begin with, we all know who he is and what he is about, but we can take the next step and actually read the stories behind the icon. Most Sherlockians agree that it is best not to start with "A study in Scarlet." I think it is best to start with the collection "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," with the story "A scandal in Bohemia" then rad your way through several of the collations. then you can go back and read "A Study in Scarlet," and "The Sign of Four." Doyle's writing gets better as the stories progress, until you hit "The Hound of the Baskervilles."
AS been noted, Holmes becomes a bit of an addiction. Doyle is that good of a writer. As I said, everyone knows who he is, like Tarzan, Elvis, or Madonna.
The only drawback is that some of Doyle's earlier stories can get a bit tedious and somewhat formulaic at times. But the attraction is still there!
Yes, it is worth the money to buy the complete Sherlock "cannon!"

5.0 out of 5 stars The King of Classic Mystery, Jan. 3 2002
C. Maynard (Saline, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Reading Sherlock Holmes is like consuming a huge box of chocolates. You want to eat them all at once because they are so wonderful, yet you don't want to finish the box because there are no more after that. What a decision! Well...eat the whole box, wait a year and read them all again!
We need more writers like Doyle. We have too many politically correct, bubble book softies who want to please society to make a fortune! This alters a person's writing and reduces it to mush. I like the classics because they are uncompromising, original and no where near politically correct. Sherlock Holmes stories are the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value at a low price, March 3 2008
Juran Liu (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
After visiting the Sherlock Holmes Museum in London, I found great interest in this famous fictional detective. I read most of the Sherlock Holmes books online, but eventually I decided to get a copy for collection. This edition, I believe, is the most economical one that fulfills the purpose. The book is thick, and the paper is okay, but thin. So if you buy it for collection, or you would only read it once or twice, I supposed it would be adequate. However, if you like to study on Sherlock Holmes thoroughly, you probably would need a more enduring copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now!!!, Oct. 2 2002
"karnas84" (Wexford, PA United States) - See all my reviews
THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES is an anthology of every Sherlock Holmes story ever written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This single volume is an absolute treasure; it reveals to us one of the most influential and powerful characters conceived of in the history of literature. Holmes' many adventures manage to transcend the boundaries of the mystery genre and set their permanent mark on the fabric of Western society. The now cliche "Elementary, my dear Watson" reveals how both the sheer genius of Holmes and the unwavering loyalty of Watson have been forever integrated into our collective memory.
If you have ever read Sherlock Holmes in your life and have enjoyed it, please pick up a copy of this book. Reading it again will merely add to your enjoyment. The astounding revelations and brilliant logic of Holmes never lose their novelty.
If you have never read Sherlock Holmes, you have truly missed out on one of the memorable characters in English literature. I urge you to purchase this book immediately. You will not be disappointed.
In summary, THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES is a must buy for those who do not already own it. I give it my highest recommendation!

The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories
The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1986)
CDN$ 19.90 CDN$ 14.36