countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on March 22, 2014
This review has nothing to do with the work of the author but is solely based on the quality of the product I ordered and received.

To be clear, I refer directly to the paperback edition published by "Createspace"; Amazon displays the bookcover as green and cream, with the word bighousepub.com clearly visible on the back. Avoid ordering this one at all costs, it is a scam. I fell for it. I was unaware and unprepared for having to do due diligence in researching my purchasing options from Amazon, who I had previously considered to be a reputable web retailer.

When I received this book, it was obvious the cover was printed from a low resolution source material and gave the impression of having been done by someone with rudimentary Photoshop skills and a low-end printer. Upon looking inside, I was more shocked to find the pages filled with unformatted walls of text. All paragraphs, proper spacing, and carriage returns of any kind were completely removed, I can only guess to cram the work onto as few pages as possible. The result is unreadable.

I was unaware before ordering that Createspace is in fact an Amazon self-publishing company and it would appear that "bighousepub.com" are rip-off artists who have illegally published the edition through Amazon in order to score royalties from the odd sale to dupes like me.

It is an affront to the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that someone would bastardize it and then capitalize upon it in such a manner, but the bigger travesty is that Amazon is party to the creation and distribution of this sham.
on December 10, 2012
I'm not sure why some others have left negative reviews regarding this book. I don't normally leave reviews on amazon, but I was so impressed with this book, that I came on here specifically to leave a good review - only to see that some have found fault with it.
Actually, this book is truly beautiful, moderately large, solid and well made - the binding, the hard cover, the colouring, the gold on the edges of the pages - everything is so well made and it looks fantastic! It is also very comfortable to hold and read. Some editions cram the whole collection of novels and stories into a regular sized book or smaller, and it ends up being too small to handle the load. I've been reading this edition for a while now, and liked the book so much better than the soft cover ones I used to have, that I had to give this book a review. I'm not sure why some people find the type too small. I have no problem reading it and it has never given me a headache. Some people do have problems with their eyes, though, and maybe they need to buy proper glasses to read regular-sized type.
I have bought both the Annotated version and the two-volume soft cover version (with a foggy London scene on the cover), and this one is by far the best! The Annotated is overwhelming and cumbersome to an irritating degree, and I found myself getting very annoyed trying to simply read the stories, without all of the needless (and unsubstantiated) details added into the margins. I actually threw it away, I got so fed up with the thing. It is literally huge! Not to mention, heavy! And most of the added "information" is just some guy's opinions and have no actual backing to them (such as when he suggests that certains books were actually about Watson's adventures and not Sherlock's, and Watson was just covering up his own actions). And the cheap, two-volume, soft covered set fell apart within a year. There are too many novels/stories to fit into such small books, and as a result, the books end up falling apart at the binding if you open them too often. They were difficult to hold in your hands, being too thick and too short at the same time, and I often found my hands cramping up while trying to hold the small books open. I would never recommend them to anyone I cared about (though maybe if I were trying to sell other, less well-made collections, I might leave a bad review here in an attempt to divert customers).
Pay the extra price for a very well-made volume, like this one, it is worth it! It is a beautiful looking volume and gives an elegant touch to a book shelf. I'm sure there are others equally well made, but of the three different styles I've bought, this one is by far the best. And no, I don't sell these books. I'm just defending a unjustly maligned edition that truly deserves an excellent review!
on December 10, 2013
I have buzzed through half this collection in a week...I cannot lay my new Kindle down..It is so exciting to get back into reading again..
What with the drivel on TV these days..I go to bed early just to read...My eyes just fly across the pages and I adore the fact that to turn a page I need only use one hand...keeps everything nice and toasty under the covers in this cold winter we are having this year..
Hugs
John
on July 13, 2016
I have always loved Arthur Conan Doyle's work. I've read most of his stories before, but that was 30 or 40 years ago. I wanted to refresh my
memories of those great stories. To me, he's the BEST Story-teller. Especially when it comes to crime solving and mystery. He just seems
to hold your attention throughout his tale.
on March 27, 2014
Conan Doyle's detective in bulk. It's a terrific compendium and is mostly linear in its presentation of stories vis a vis a timeline. The characters do not particularly evolve, and the same cardboard cutouts get used again and again, but this may be the nature of what the author had to do to get his stories published at the time. Holmes is both brilliant and nasty.
on April 7, 2010
This is easily the best collection of UNABRIDGED Sherlock Holmes stories I've ever encountered. The cover is tastefully designed and has the feel of a "good old book" often lacking in today's modern printed works.

I've read in other reviews that "the print is too small"... I however, find that the print is no smaller than any other book more than two or three hundred pages long, and is clear and well spaced on the pages, which are light-wight to accomodate the weight of such a large volume.

The one and only thing I could say against it would be that it IS a large book, so anyone looking to read it on the bus is likely to have trouble, but then again, it's all of Doyle's works concerning our favorite detective, and that must be taken into concideration.
on April 13, 2013
An elegantly-bound presentation of Conan Doyle's work; thorough, complete and done with care. Recommended to anyone who has more than a passing interest in these classic and timeless stories. A joy to read and re-read becuase of the elegant and evocative writing and the brilliant deductive studies, it is no wonder these books have become timeless.
on February 11, 2014
As a lover of mysteries there is no great icon than Sherlock Holmes. ACD really knew how to tell a story so that you felt yourself falling into it and immersing yourself completely in the lives of the characters.
on December 31, 2002
This collection of stories about the famed detective Sherlock Holmes and his faithful "sidekick" Watson is truly a timeless classic. It is filled with intrigue, mystery, romance, vengeance and ,ultimately, murder. Its beautifully constructed plot and the whole motive of the murder, the clues and the amazing deductive powers of Sherlock Holmes will hardly fail to entertain you and keep you craving for more. Not only will you find crime and punishment on these pages, but also the unique world (the 19th century England) and personalities (cold-blooded Holmes and always left behind Watson) which Doyle has created.
There is one downside to this marvellous classic. When you are done reading the book and there are no more adventures to consume you will feel nostalgic. One could only wish to relax in the comfort of an armchair in front of a fireplace while a rainstorm rages outside and Sherlock Holmes is patiently absorbing the details of another case, on No. 221B Baker Street
on December 3, 2014
With all of the Sherlock related shows I thought it was time to read the original. It was amazing how these stories helped to shape our world. Some of the references completely surprised me, like how Sherlock refers to a rich person's house as a "crib". Honestly, I thought that was a new term! It was interesting how the invention of the telephone changed the story lines as well. A wonderful peak into life in the late 1800's.