5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Mind: Living the writer's life by Natalie Goldberg
This book is a great starting point for anyone who wants to start writing. I love the freedom it gives and the suggestions for topics to get you going.
Published 7 months ago by mamap@shaw.ca

1.0 out of 5 stars You can do better than her
This book gave me great confidence as a writer, because I know I can at least write better than Goldberg! All you can learn about writing from this book is in chapter 1: Don't edit while writing. Use the first word that comes to mind. Show, don't tell. Don't think; let it flow. Don't worry about grammar. Write badly if you need to. Write what's hard and hurts.
The...
Published on Aug. 20 2002 by M. Van Buijtene

1.0 out of 5 stars You can do better than her, Aug. 20 2002
M. Van Buijtene "creativity coach" (Den Haag, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (Paperback)
The other 61 chapters are from the diary of an over-sensitive Zen student in therapy, flying all over the country with numerous friends. I found it annoying and would rather recommend On Writing by Stephen King.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Jan. 22 2014
This book really helped me improve my writing, and was just very fun to read. She is an excellent writer and i highly recommend you read this. Make sure to keep a highlighter in hand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Mind: Living the writer's life by Natalie Goldberg, Sept. 13 2013
This review is from: Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read but not really a "how to write" book, June 25 2003
This review is from: Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (Paperback)
After reading it twice, I think this book contains both positive and negative aspects. Basically, I've come to the conclusion that it's not a book on how to write. Instead, I view it as a memoir by a person with a more-or-less interesting life. At times, it makes for fascinating reading; other times, the stories and anecdotes fall really flat. The writing advice itself is sparse though there are several decent exercises to cure writers' block. Goldberg is a remarkable writer who has wisdom and wit, but I expected more actual writing *technique* from this book and was therefore disappointed.
By the way, I pity the narrow-minded reviewers who bash her for writing about her relationships with women. I've read plenty of books by heterosexual authors who constantly mention their spouses, and I don't see readers accusing them of throwing it in their faces.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment after Bones, July 31 2001
Rosemary Bannon Tyksinski "www.rosemarys-offi... (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (Paperback)
While some will love this book, I found it terribly disappointing after reading Writing Down the Bones -- which I loved. Perhaps this is because Bones was so wonderful this could not compete. I found the writing in Wild Mind cloying and self-indulgent -- to the point of irritation. There are many more inspiring writing books than this. Don't bother with Wild Mind unless you want if for its great cover art!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Had Discovered This Book Earlier......, Dec 30 2003
Julie Jordan Scott "Writer, Life Coach - Owne... (Bakersfield, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (Paperback)
This book is yet another treasure from Natalie Goldberg. It is like being invited into her home for a while, observing her in process... gleaning what gold you can.
Sipping tea, doing writing practice, laughing at her jokes and I imagine telling a couple of your own once you win her favor.
I have incorporated several of the "Try This On" exercises into my own writing practice and have been delighted at the result. It seems as if each "Try This On" yields some benefit, usually beyond what I expect.
My only wish is that I discovered Natalie Goldberg's writing sooner. This is a delicious, filling offering.... Perfect for using after "Writing Down the Bones."

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Had Discovered This Book Earlier......, Dec 30 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you need to jumpstart your writing?, May 24 2003
This review is from: Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (Paperback)
If you are an aspiring writer and need to jumpstart your creativity Wild Mind is your Bible. I cannot imagine my life without a copy for me and one to give away. After you obtain and read Wild Mind just go ahead and buy all of Natalie's other books. You won't be disappointed. She is always at the top of her form. As a person who teaches Artist's Way, I use many ideas from Natalie who inspires both writers and painters.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for use on ooodles of levels, Jan. 16 2003
Umpqua Bank "jcjs33" (rogue river, or. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (Paperback)
the person who gave 'Wild Mind' a (1.) saying she's a Zen flying all over the country seems to be missing the boat big time and could use some therapy herself or something...besides Zens are suppose to fly all over the country with friends...thank God...gee wizards, lighten up...Natalie's humor, insight and wonderful practices are fun , playful (the only way to learn) and freeing...her analogy of writing to sex and living i love...i got this little gem in Ashland, Oregon...just jumped out as books do...people who die with the most toys, win...nope...people who make people laugh and who can laugh, win...Natalie does that so well as she shares her fullness and wisdom...practical guide to life, sex, humor and writing...i don't care if the 'sour puss' writing the review can write better or worse than Natalie or me...that's not the point...better hasn't a thing to do with writing...Natalie can write, write well, share well, write for everyone and herself and helps so many with practical suggestions about living a full and fulfilling life...this isn't just a book on basic writing...this is a grand philosophy book...nice, compact, practical, fun, hands on, "Be Here Now

5.0 out of 5 stars A very freeing and instructive book, Sept. 5 2002
This review is from: Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (Paperback)
I have been a writer since I was a child but never realized that "being a writer" had little to do with what you write or even how often. It's a way of looking at the world, and Natalie Goldberg captures it and conveys it in a way that (finally) legitimized the writer within for me. For that, I'll be eternally grateful. When people used to say to me, "You analyze too much," I'd feel bad about myself, but now I say to myself, if to no one else, "Yes, that's what makes me a good writer!"
Not only did she free the writer-person within me when I read this book, but she gave me new ways to practice writing from an angle I hadn't thought of. I am not good with descriptions of scenes and, in fact, hate even reading them, but in order to get better at it, I did her little exercises and had fun and sharpened my skills at the same time. (...which reminds me, I need to do them again.)
I reread portions of this book several times a year and I always keep an extra couple of copies of it on hand to give to other writers and wanna-be writers. I hope it never goes out of print!

ARRAY(0xc48f8798)

Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life
Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life by Natalie Goldberg (Paperback - Oct. 1 1990)
CDN$ 23.00 CDN$ 16.61