5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all doctors
Published on Feb. 15 2003 by SANDEEP DHINGRA

2.0 out of 5 stars Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread
Deepake Chopra outlines a type of therapy that is supposed to prolong life, known as Ayudavistic therapy, a form of Indian folk medicine untouched by Western scientific advances.

This book is largely devoid of merit, and acceptance of the contents rests largely on uncritical acceptance of Chopra's statements. In one section, where Chopra discusses the...
Published on Feb. 9 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all doctors, Feb. 15 2003
This review is from: Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine (Paperback)
Dr. Chopra's 'Quantum Healing' is a must-read for all medical professionals because being a doctor I know that over the years our minds get programmed to learn from text-books without developing any new insights and eventually we treat patients very mechanically, ignoring the human aspect of a doctor-patient relationship and also the part human consciousness can play in recovery from an illness. Dr. Chopra has done a wonderful job of highlighting some of the medical concepts which point towards an active role of human consciousness in health promotion.
This book may be a difficult one for people who do not have a medical background because of frequent use of medical terminology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Wisdom Revisited, June 29 2000
Ian Andrews (the deserts of Arizona) - See all my reviews
The senses of the wise man obey his mind, his mind obeys hisintellect, his intellect obeys his ego, and his ego obeys the Self. --Katha Upanishad
Thus, within this brief passage, we have the essence of Dr. Deepak Chopra's book Quantum Healing, which successfully sheds light for the uninitiated Western reader on the mind/body connection as it relates to medical healing. Although the ideas and techniques he discusses in his book may sound new to us, they are in actuality, as the Doctor demonstrates through his scrupulous tracing of the Western disciplines of neuroscience and physics back to the source of their beginnings in the ancient Vedic traditions, as old as time itself. With the precision of an artist meticulously carving a statue, Dr. Chopra proceeds to chip away at Western medicine's physical approach to healing, asserting the point that "when the memory of health returns [it] brings with it enough power to last a lifetime."
These mind-based methods of healing, he tells us, are based upon Ayurveda, the ancient tradition of Indian medicine. In describing how he came up with the term quantum healing, Dr. Chopra relates the moving story of one of his first patients to undergo Ayurvedic treatment. The patient, a woman who had lung cancer, had responded well to the traditional Western treatments which had been combined with Ayurvedic methods. The Ayurvedic method depended upon a "change of diet, some Ayurvedic herbs, a specific daily routine including simple yoga exercises, and instruction in Transcendental Meditation." She was also "given two special mental techniques that went directly to the root of her cancer."
After nearly a year of this treatment, the woman had a sudden remission of her cancer. "They can't find any cancer cells at all -- nothing," the woman's husband announced joyously over the phone to Dr. Chopra, who himself was surprised by the rapidity of the cure. Yet within a few weeks the woman's "miracle" began to teeter and stumble, not physically, but within the woman herself: "instead of being able to trust in her inexplicable recovery, she became conflicted, morbidly afraid that the cancer would return....It seemed that [her]cancer was easier to defeat than the sinister doubt that was creeping back into her life, defying her to be well....For her to be well again, she needed an explanation."
This, Dr. Chopra concedes, was the real starting point of his book. He continues, "Research on spontaneous cures of cancer...has shown that just before the cure appears, almost every patient experiences a dramatic shift in awareness. He knows that he will be healed, and he feels that the force responsible is inside himself but not limited to him -- it extends beyond his personal boundaries, throughout all of nature....This leap in consciousness seems to be the key....The word that comes to mind when a scientist thinks of such sudden changes is 'quantum.' The word denotes a discrete jump from one level of functioning to a higher level -- the quantum leap."
Throughout the remainder of the book, Dr. Chropra delves into an exacting and thorough description of how this process is worked out in a physical way, using a style of language and an approach that is easily intelligible by both technician and layman alike. He quite effortlessly moves back and forth between the scientific and the more subjective metaphysical explanations behind how quantum healing takes place, in order to show, he asserts, the true nature of healing. The result is a delightful and convincing work, filled with many anecdotes and personal insights which enhance his arguments.
Quantum Healing, beyond its technical excellence, hedges into the realm of being a contemplative tour de force, wherein the emperical and the analytical embrace with sublime warmth and intimacy the intuitive and the metaphysical. Indeed, one can almost "feel" a heightening in one's own awareness as he reads deeper into the book with a joy that only a discoverer has as he is breaking into new uncharted territory.
Dr. Chopra speaks with a clarity and confidence which is amply reinforced through his own personal experience. At one juncture he illustrates graphically the point that our minds create our reality. He relates an experience he had taking off from an airport in Bombay. The jetliner had apparently developed a problem shortly after take-off, and the Fasten Your Seatbelt sign flashed on overhead. The pilot made an announcement that they were having to return to the airport, and minutes later the jetliner bounced onto the runway. There was no fire or explosion, and no explanation was ever given for the incident. Within minutes, the passengers were reboarded onto a different jet, but about half elected to stay on the ground.
"I didn't feel too disturbed during the incident," he writes, "and got on the second plane. The next time I caught a flight, about ten days later, my mind was at ease. However, as soon as they flashed on the sign, No Smoking/Fasten Your Seatbelt, accompanied by that ding sound, my heart started to pound. At first I couldn't put two and two together; then I realized that I had created a small conditioned reflex in myself....I then noticed that as soon as this explanation dawned on me, my heartbeat went back to normal.
"For a few seconds I was present at the birth of one impulse that shaped my reality. It is plausible that I have unwittingly created myself by piling up millions of impulses just like it."
What Dr. Chopra had "unwittingly" stumbled onto is undoubtedly the key behind our human creation of reality and how to clear unbeneficial reactions from our beingness, in essence allowing our minds to react to the present moment rather than be drawn back into a negative past experience which we have previously "conditioned" into ourselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Wisdom Revisited, June 23 2000
Ian Andrews (the deserts of Arizona) - See all my reviews
The senses of the wise man obey his mind, his mind obeys his intellect, his intellect obeys his ego, and his ego obeys the Self. -- Katha Upanishad
Thus, within this brief passage, we have the essence of Dr. Deepak Chopra's book Quantum Healing, which successfully seems to shed light for the uninitiated Western reader on the mind/body connection as it relates to medical healing. Although the ideas and techniques he discusses in his book may sound new to us, they are in actuality, as the Doctor demonstrates through his scrupulous tracing of the Western disciplines of neuroscience and physics back to the source of their beginings in the ancient Vedic traditions, as old as time itself. With the precision of an artist meticulously carving a statue, Dr. Chopra proceeds to chip away at Western medicine's physical approach to healing, asserting the point that "when the memory of health returns [it] brings with it enough power to last a lifetime."
These mind-based methods of healing, he tells us, are based upon Ayurveda, the ancient tradition of Indian medicine. The term "Ayurveda" is derived from its two Sanskrit roots, Ayus, meaning "life," and Veda, which can mean either "science" or "knowledge." Combined, the literal meaning becomes "science of life."
In describing how he came up with the term quantum healing, Dr. Chopra relates the moving story of one of his first patients to undergo Ayurvedic treatment. The patient, a woman who had lung cancer, had responded well to the traditional Western treatments which had been combined with Ayurvedic methods. The Ayurvedic method depended upon a "change of diet, some Ayurvedic herbs, a specific daily routine including simple yoga exercises, and instruction in Transcendental Meditiation." She was also "given two special mental techniques that went directly to the root of her cancer."
After nearly a year of this treatment, the woman had a sudden remission of her cancer. "They can't find any cancer cells at all--nothing," the woman's husband announced joyously over the phone to Dr. Chopra, who himself was surprised by the rapidity of the cure. Yet within a few weeks the woman's "miracle" began to teeter and stumble, not physically, but within the woman herself: "instead of being able to trust in her inexplicable recovery, she became conflicted, morbidly afraid that the cancer would return....It seemed that [her] cancer was easier to defeat than the sinister doubt that was creeping back into her life, defying her to be well....For her to be well again, she needed an explanation."
This, Dr. Chopra concedes, was the real starting point of his book. He continues, "Research on spontaneous cures of cancer...has shown that just before the cure appears, almost every patient experiences a dramatic shift in awareness. He knows that he will be healed, and he feels that the force responsible is inside himself but not limited to him -- it extends beyond his personal boundaries, throughout all of nature....The leap in consciousness seems to be the key....The word that comes to mind when a scientist thinks of such sudden changes is 'quantum.' The word denotes a discrete jump from one level of functioning to a higher level -- the quantum leap."
Throughout the remainder of the book, Dr. Chopra delves into an exacting and thorough discription of how this process is worked out in a physical way, using a style of language and an approach that is easily intelligible by both technician and layman alike. He quite effortlessly moves back and forth between the scientific and the more subjective metaphysical explanations behind how quantum healing takes place, in order to show, he asserts, the true nature of healing. The result is a delightful and convincing work, filled with many anecdotes and personal insights which enhance his arguments.
Quantum Healing hedges into the realm of being a contemplative tour de force, wherein the empirical and the analytical embrace with sublime warmth and intimacy the intuitive and the metaphysical. Indeed, one can almost "feel" a heightening in one's own awareness as he reads deeper into the book with a joy that only a discoverer has as he is breaking into new uncharted territory.
Dr. Chopra speaks with a clarity and confidence which is amply reinforced through his own personal experience. At one juncture he illustrates graphically the point that our minds create our reality. He relates an experience he had taking off from an airport in Bombay. The jetliner had apparently developed a problem shortly after take-off, and the "Fasten Your Seatbelt" sign flashed on overhead. The pilot made an announcement that they were having to return to the airport, and minutes later the jetliner bounced onto the runway. There was no fire or explanation ever given for the incident. Within minutes, the passengers were reboarded onto a different jet, but about half elected to stay on the ground.
"I didn't feel too disturbed during the incident," he writes, "and got on the second plane. The next time I caught a flight, about ten days later, my mind was at ease. However, as soon as they flashed on the sign, "No Smoking/Fasten Your Seatbelt," accompanied by that ding sound, my heart started to pound. At first I couldn't put two and two together; then I realized that I had created a small conditioned reflex in myself....I then noticed that as soon as this explanation dawned on me, my heartbeat went back to normal."

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and enlighting, July 5 2001
By A Customer
I read this book a number of years ago and it is still having a positive effect on my health and spiritual state. Deepak explored and explained scientifically the spiritual effects on the human body. It is not easy reading but well worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Nonsense - some miss the point, Jan. 30 2004
B. Winters (Elmhurst, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quantum Healing (Audio Cassette)
To those reviewers that claim this book is nonsense are completely missing the point. In my opinion the author is expanding traditional Western thinking around healing. Not that we can actually study and manipulate the quantum level of our own bodies, but rather entertain new ways of enhancing our own healing through the power of our own minds
Scientists can prove that being depressed, angry, or generally negative causes a negative biological reaction. Why can't the inverse be true?
I recommend if you're searching for a way to better understand how your state of mind might impact your health, or are searching for alternative therapy, pick up this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing that worked for me., Oct. 21 2003
Hi,
I was greatly benefitted by meditation and recovered from pains that took away my hopes and happiness. I developed severe ulcers working in a high tech job. I tried all kinds of modern medical therapies like ranitidne, omeprazole etc. They didn't work. I had changed doctor after doctor, my last doctor repeatedly asked me to learn meditation.
I started meditation and found major difference in controlling pain and gradually all my pain went away. But it took me 2 years of practise, whenever I stop meditating, I notice an obvious deviation of comfort in my digestion. It is very very important that we learn meditation from a experienced teacher. One thing to remember is don't force any technique, it is a natural process.
During the final stages of my recovery I came to know about Dr Deepak Chopra "Quantum Healing" and was very impressed and thankful for Deepak. I had read from many sources on healing. Dr Deepak must be one of the best. He has knowledge in unbelievably vast subjects in science and medicine like Ayurveda (5000 year old Indian system), modern western medicine realted to heart disease, diabetes, cancer. His knowledge in physics is amazing, Quantum physics seems to have close relationship to mind-body system and healing.
Deepak is very particular about offering us the best insights in natural healing and he has devoted decades in gathering knowledge on every area of scienece realted to health. Only criticism on Deepak is abusing the concepts of Quantum Physics. I have read 3 of his books and believe in his ideas becos they make sense and I appreciate his efforts to make everyone of us understand our full potential and soar into the future and create better lives for not just us but for every one we could.
Today Deepak has more than healing to offer. He is using his experience and knowledge to teach us the skills to acquire more skills and create a better world. More imporantly in the right direction.
It is fortunate to see people like Deepak who has achieved excellence as a doctor, who has understanding of the scientific theories of all great scientists like Einstien, who has unsertood the ancient Indian Vedantic teachings that has known to have evolved over 5000 years of experience, who is trying to put these all together into books to help people understand their nature and potential and create a better live for themselves and others.
How to describe such a man ?, Scientist ?, Angel of God ?, a Prophet ?. I would call him my best Friend !!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some say bad-physics some say excellent, I say very good, Dec 19 2000
The sun may be setting on Dr. Chopra's popularity, but this book is an excellent vehicle to expand your view of mind/body health. If you are into learning about how molecules of the stomach (neurotransmitters), are the same as those in the central nervous system, and therefore, think, then this book is for you. If you are interested in learning how interacions with other people affect our health this book is for you. This book is about understanding the relationship of the mind/body not as 2 entities, but as 1.
One of the previous reviewers says "bad physics", I do not believe this to be so. If you look into the work of Karl Pribram of Yale University where people in accidents had portions of their brains removed for medical reasons, and who never suffered a loss of specific memory (Holographic Universe, 1991).
I am not truely convinced in the efficacy of chemotherapy as Dr. Chopra is, so for this reason and the fact that chemotherapy does not really have a place in this book, I cannot give 5 stars. Chemotherapy kills many people and saves few. There are much better cancer treatments then the 3 billion dollar a year chemotherapy treatment, many of them cost nothing.
Anyway you slice it, this book is still an eye opener to those who seek knowledge about the delicate interrelationships between ourselves and all things.
Very Good Book! 4 Stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, May 16 1999
Great book for all health care practitionners. The goal of this book is to demonstrate that the power that made the body can heal the body!! The concepts are great but the book is a bit repetitive. Furthermore, the author constantly refers to a treatment method called ayurvedic, but he never explains the method. All and all, a must read for anyone who treats patients.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good neuroendocrinology/bad physics/good advice!, March 24 1997
By A Customer
Dr. Chopra's thoughtful book summarizes recent advances in neuroendocrinology that are helpful in explaining why the mind is not simply located in the brain, but is to be found throughout the body. He gives a cogent explanation for the mechanism by which an individual can 'think' themselves sick, and 'think' themselves well again--a proposition that I believe most people instinctively credit but cannot explain. His writing style is very compelling, and his book is filled with personal stories and stories of his patients that make it hard to put down. Unfortunately, Dr. Chopra seems unable to believe that the miraculous series of chemical reactions that we call the mind could have arisen by itself, and he therefore resorts to some distorted concepts from quantum physics to give a 'why' explanation. My advice: pay attention to the endocrinology and ignore the physics. The book will make you think long and hard about traditional 'Western' cancer treatment protocols

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and enlightening..., June 29 2002
"queenofthebeehive" (Riverside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Deepak Chopra is a wonderful teacher and writer. This book has helped me to gain control of my health and well being, just by helping me to understand self-awareness. It's empowering to know the principles and truth behind the human being. It is more than just a physical body. We are interconnected beings of energy who are in much more control of our well being and healing processes than we think. Cheers to Deepak!!

ARRAY(0xb3aa6978)

Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine
Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine by Deepak Chopra (Paperback - May 1 1990)
CDN$ 25.00 CDN$ 15.68