4.0 out of 5 stars Great wordsmithing
It appears that four out of five people did not find this review helpful. That does not sit well with me because I would hope above all else to be helpful in my reviews; so I will re-write this one.
Published on May 6 2004 by B. M. Chapman

2.0 out of 5 stars repetitive
Published on Sept. 19 1999 by j0equ1nn@hotmail.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Great wordsmithing, May 6 2004
B. M. Chapman "bnio" (Tokyo, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
"Still Life with Woodpecker" is the only Tom Robbins novel I have read and so I cannot compare it any other work of his. But fundamentally it is a tale of love about a redheaded deposed princess living with her deposed king and queen parents just outside of Seattle. Her search for love and meaning in the world while trying to save it from the horrors of destruction, all while falling in love with another red-head who finds purpose in blowing things up, is the majority of the story.
Yet in essence "Still Life with Woodpecker" is less of a story than it is a very long aside about the nature of things and emotions. At least in the end I felt that the plot, in its outrageous plausibility, along with none of the characters being totally worth sympathy, became a side note to the appreciation I had for its wordsmithing and poignant insights, particularly how the narrative exposes its emotions out in the open for all to notice. Unfortunately at various points Tom feels the need to explain in asides what this is all about when I think the story was doing a fine job on its own doing that.
Plus, being a red head myself, it was nice to see how certain aspects of humanity and personality may or may not be embodied in the symbols of our ginger scalps.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Book - Ever!, July 9 2003
J. Burnham "jburnham" (CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
Still Life with Woodpecker changed my life the first time I read it. Always one to believe in the power of the moon and the ancient mysteries of the pyramids, I fell in love with this book. Princesses and Outlaws being my favorite heros, and red headed to boot, who could ask for more?
Appoach with your best sense of humor and a copious amount of metaphoric magnanimousness.(snicker...)
Peace, Love and Moonbeams

2.0 out of 5 stars repetitive, Sept. 19 1999
j0equ1nn@hotmail.com (New York, United States of America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
I liked it for a while, but I got bored of the same theme, especially since he talks about it so directly. There's only so much you can say about how to make love stay. Actually, it's not really that, it's just that he seemed to keep saying the same thing about how to make love stay. It may not be that either. I just didn't like it all that much, on a somewhat intuitive level, if that means anything at all. I'm not sure why I bothered writing this review, but since I did I suppose I might as well submit it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love redheads, Jan. 3 2012
David Sabine (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
Tom Robbins is genius. That's a fact proven time and again by his incredible stories. This book is captivating and hilarious from the very first sentence!

5.0 out of 5 stars TOm Robbins is a literary genius, Sept. 10 2010
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite books of all time. It's so, so funny, smart and beautifully written. The writing is by far its best asset, but the other aspects - the plot, characters, concept etc., are all close seconds. It includes adventure, romance, love, imagination, philosophy, suspense and so many other brilliant things! If you're even the least bit intelligent, you will like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What ever happened to the golden ball?, May 10 2008
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
This novel is the absolute perfect blend of comedy, romance, adventure and philosophy. Tom Robbins' masterpiece examination of objectification and love, how the two are inseparable, and how "everything is a part of it," speaks true even today, some twenty years after he wrote it. This is the all-important story of two redhead rejects, one an outlaw and one a princess of a small American-occupied country, who fall in love and create explosions. From its synopsis, it might not seem like much, but Robbins has a knack for packing his novels full of much more subtext than the plot line alone can describe.

Hopeless romantics like me, look out... despite its rare, sometimes gory approach to to the question of how to make love stay, you won't be able to stop reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing still about this great book, March 30 2005
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
*Still Life With Woodpecker* is a hilariously funny book about two insane people in love. Bernard M. Wrangle and Leigh-Cheri both move to Hawaii for two different reasons. Leigh-Cheri was visiting Hawaii because she wanted to attend a banquet for environmentalist, and on the way there she meets Bernard. Bernard is a pyromaniac who runs around with sticks of dynamite strapped to his chest. He enjoys lighting fires and blowing up buildings in his spare time. This dynamic duo runs amuck through the Island. Soon the couple falls madly in love with one another and Leigh-Cheri asks Bernard to come back home with her to meet her family. They all have dinner together and it turns out to be a complete bust, her parents hate him and they end up turning him into the FBI. Bernard is in jail now and Leigh-Cheri gets completely depressed and ends up locking herself in her room and comes up with some crazy ideas about the world. Another book I recently read and thoroughly enjoyed was Jackson McCrae's THE CHILDREN'S CORNER which is both disturbing and funny in places. Highly recommended for those with a pulse.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Study of Redheads, July 5 2004
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
This is a light and entertaining book from a word-play genius. What is amazing is the way he weaves so many stories into a tidy, compact little package - almost the size of a pack of cigarettes, as a matter of fact.
This is a story about a tarnished princess, an outlaw bomber with bad teeth, a scene stealing if somewhat undomesticated loyal servant, toads - both real and plastic, an exiled King and his "Oh-Oh, spaghetti-o" Queen, a CIA not-so-secret agent, an outraged Middle Eastern playboy, blackberries, Camels, Ralph Nader, pyramids and aliens from Argon.
What more could you possibly want in a book?
Tom Robbins has a genuine talent for words and puns, and those with active funny bones will be tickled throughout. His casual use of words like "slishy" and phrases like "I have a black belt in haiku" abound, to be discovered with unbridled delight.
This is a book to be enjoyed within one lunar cycle without fear of repercussions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oscar Wilde in a bong, July 5 2004
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
If you're looking for a smooth romance story then move on. The plot is a drug crazed raving which serves as a meagre bookshelf for Robbins to display his mastery of the absurd metaphor. Robbins writes like he's on fire - or on speed (though he hints cocaine served in plastic frogs is his drug of choice). It is at once brilliant yet impossible in large doses lest one runs the risk of an OD. His writing is brilliant, funny and much like those 3D pictures - utter nonsense which makes perfect sense when you look 3 feet past it and cross your eyes. If you follow that much you should enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy and Hilarious, June 24 2004
Melissa McCauley (North Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still Life with Woodpecker (Paperback)
Still Life With Woodpecker is a love story about an exiled princess and a crazy bomber in Hawaii. Definitely one of my top ten favorite novels of all time; it is kooky, weird, sexy, unpredictable, and downright hilarious. Cannot recommend it enough, as long as you don't take it or yourself too seriously

Still Life with Woodpecker
Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins (Paperback - April 1 1990)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68