march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 25, 1998
This book, and the companion workbook, have given me enlightenment into relationship issues in ways I have never experienced before. The way he uses episodes from his therapy sessions to teach lessons that are valuable to anyone makes this book a "must read" if you really what to change your life and significantly improve your close relationships!
on June 16, 1998
ways to stop the co dependent ways of relating. Especially good and simple ways to talk to 16-60 year olds. I have recommended this book to my clients I see in psychotherapy.
on May 21, 1998
The book is good in talking about couple communication. They do a good job discussing principles in relationships as well as pitfalls/pitfall management. I think that their resolution of the intimacy/autonomy is correct, but I think that they oversimplify that dilemma itself. Only other problem that I have with the book is that they overemphasize parental influence and the need to go back to your past to solve unhealthy behavioral patterns. Their concept of "co-commitment" is interesting. What I find curious, though, is that they assume that it is simple to become "co-committed" and that couples are either co-committed or co-dependent (a little too black and white for me). If a couple has some unhealthy patterns, then that does not mean that they have a dysfunctional relationship (but according to them, the relationship would be dysfunctional). In their defense, I think they present extreme examples to emphasize their principles. They rightly promote the need for accepting responsibility for one's own actions but do not point out the impact of chemical imbalance and mood disorders.
on May 8, 1998
This book has caused the most growth I've experience in 43yrs. In tandem with the Basic Instructions Before Living Earth(BIBLE), I've not been more encouraged toward facing those 'demons' that have resided in me for so long; caused so much pain; damaged or ruin the lives of other people. It has been as a direct result of the techniques of the Hendricks, that I have faced the demon's of CO-DEPENDENCY...and have moved toward really living life to the fullest!! I have gained so much in a very short time. One of the best things about this paradigm shift, is that I can go back time and time again, to check and reinforce the principals and techniques...which makes me stronger and stronger! It has affected me in such a positive force that I've recommended it to not only friends and family, but to anyone I basically come in contact with - and being in the Career Counseling field and as a professional Musician, I come in contact with all types of people. And I just want people to KNOW...that any conditioning that causes "us" to limit our potential of being the very best that we can be as a "human being," not only destroy's the individual, but our society as well!
We MUST LEARN TO BE BETTER PEOPLE - LEARN WHAT CAUSES US TO ACT/REACT TO CERTAIN THINGS. LEARN TO BUILD "HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS FOR OURSELVES, WHICH CONSEQUENTLY DEVELOPE "HEALTHY CHILDREN!"
I started with the Bible, and I'm still in the Bible - now and forever. My next on-going project of self-assessment lead me to Stephen Covey's "7 habits"...from there, to "Don't sweat the small stuff" and now "Conscious Loving." I feel like I've just come across some choice steak!
My significant other and I were cresting to desolving our "entanglement"(as it were), I was fairly into the book...dealing basically with myself while trying to keep the relationship going, as Co-Dependent as it was. Then lights started coming on! I finally got her interested in the book; n! ot for me or us, but for herself! We're going into counseling now... as part of our Conscious agreement to a Co-commited relationship...not an entanglement!!! That's a positive about the relationship, but it's really about YOU, the INDIVIDUAL!! REALLY BEING THE BEST YOU CAN BE...REALIZING YOUR FULL POTENTIAL!
Thank you so much for re-teaching me HOW TO LIVE!!