5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Relationship Book. Period.
Just returned from a weekend workshop with the Hendricks, and all I can say is, "This stuff works."
Already has changed some signficant patterns in my life and relationship.
Get the book, but if you can afford it, go see them "do" the work live and in person. I've been to tons of personal growth seminars, but this one was so far and away...
Published on July 16 2004 by Joanna

3.0 out of 5 stars You really need a partner that's on side for this book to be of any use
Although you are told that changes in you relationship can be made without your better half cooperating with the plan outlined, it really doesn't.
Published 11 months ago by Sylvia Pawluk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Coupled with the Bible, this book has been my growth source, May 8 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment (Paperback)
This book has caused the most growth I've experience in 43yrs. In tandem with the Basic Instructions Before Living Earth(BIBLE), I've not been more encouraged toward facing those 'demons' that have resided in me for so long; caused so much pain; damaged or ruin the lives of other people. It has been as a direct result of the techniques of the Hendricks, that I have faced the demon's of CO-DEPENDENCY...and have moved toward really living life to the fullest!! I have gained so much in a very short time. One of the best things about this paradigm shift, is that I can go back time and time again, to check and reinforce the principals and techniques...which makes me stronger and stronger! It has affected me in such a positive force that I've recommended it to not only friends and family, but to anyone I basically come in contact with - and being in the Career Counseling field and as a professional Musician, I come in contact with all types of people. And I just want people to KNOW...that any conditioning that causes "us" to limit our potential of being the very best that we can be as a "human being," not only destroy's the individual, but our society as well!
We MUST LEARN TO BE BETTER PEOPLE - LEARN WHAT CAUSES US TO ACT/REACT TO CERTAIN THINGS. LEARN TO BUILD "HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS FOR OURSELVES, WHICH CONSEQUENTLY DEVELOPE "HEALTHY CHILDREN!"
I started with the Bible, and I'm still in the Bible - now and forever. My next on-going project of self-assessment lead me to Stephen Covey's "7 habits"...from there, to "Don't sweat the small stuff" and now "Conscious Loving." I feel like I've just come across some choice steak!
My significant other and I were cresting to desolving our "entanglement"(as it were), I was fairly into the book...dealing basically with myself while trying to keep the relationship going, as Co-Dependent as it was. Then lights started coming on! I finally got her interested in the book; n! ot for me or us, but for herself! We're going into counseling now... as part of our Conscious agreement to a Co-commited relationship...not an entanglement!!! That's a positive about the relationship, but it's really about YOU, the INDIVIDUAL!! REALLY BEING THE BEST YOU CAN BE...REALIZING YOUR FULL POTENTIAL!
Thank you so much for re-teaching me HOW TO LIVE!!

3.0 out of 5 stars One possibility for resolving the intimacy/autonomy dilemma, May 21 1998
The book is good in talking about couple communication. They do a good job discussing principles in relationships as well as pitfalls/pitfall management. I think that their resolution of the intimacy/autonomy is correct, but I think that they oversimplify that dilemma itself. Only other problem that I have with the book is that they overemphasize parental influence and the need to go back to your past to solve unhealthy behavioral patterns. Their concept of "co-commitment" is interesting. What I find curious, though, is that they assume that it is simple to become "co-committed" and that couples are either co-committed or co-dependent (a little too black and white for me). If a couple has some unhealthy patterns, then that does not mean that they have a dysfunctional relationship (but according to them, the relationship would be dysfunctional). In their defense, I think they present extreme examples to emphasize their principles. They rightly promote the need for accepting responsibility for one's own actions but do not point out the impact of chemical imbalance and mood disorders.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tell me again why I HAVE to read this book?, May 17 2004
By A Customer
I hate to be the one dissenting vote, as all the reviews seem so good, however, I can't get past the head beating to actually get anything out of it. They can't get to the point. At least they haven't in the first two tedious chapters and I'm already burned out. Everytime I think about the book I want to throw it out a third story window. I have no retention of what's contained in the first two chapters EXCEPT how important it is I read the book and follow the teachings. How many times do they have to tell you how important it is to read the book? HELLO! I am reading the book. Stop telling me how and why it's so damn important that I read it. I get it! I bought it! I'm reading! You had me! So get on with it already! Man, did they just have to fill space or what? It's VERY frustrating. I'm sorry, I'm not 5, I don't need to be repeatedly told why I have to do this over and over and over and over and over and over again. This message is repeated in nearly every paragraph. Is there any meat to this book, or just a bunch of propaganda about how much I HAVE to read it and do it?! Can we just get to the POINT so I can do that? I'm trying, trust me, but I just can't get past HOW VERY DARN important it is to do whatever it is they can't come out with. Holy cow. I'm exhausted. If someone has an idea about a chapter I can skip to where the BOOK actually exists, please let me know. Otherwise, mine is free to someone with ENDLESS patience who needs to constantly be told how much they NEED to READ THE BOOK AND FOLLOW THE PRINCIPLES. Nevermind what the principles are, you'll never get there.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb53391d4)

Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment
Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment by Kathlyn Hendricks (Paperback - Jan. 1 1992)
CDN$ 23.00 CDN$ 16.61