5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Relationship Book. Period.
Just returned from a weekend workshop with the Hendricks, and all I can say is, "This stuff works."
Already has changed some signficant patterns in my life and relationship.
Get the book, but if you can afford it, go see them "do" the work live and in person. I've been to tons of personal growth seminars, but this one was so far and away...
Published on July 16 2004 by Joanna

3.0 out of 5 stars You really need a partner that's on side for this book to be of any use
Although you are told that changes in you relationship can be made without your better half cooperating with the plan outlined, it really doesn't.
Published 18 months ago by Sylvia Pawluk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars One possibility for resolving the intimacy/autonomy dilemma, May 21 1998
This review is from: Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment (Paperback)
The book is good in talking about couple communication. They do a good job discussing principles in relationships as well as pitfalls/pitfall management. I think that their resolution of the intimacy/autonomy is correct, but I think that they oversimplify that dilemma itself. Only other problem that I have with the book is that they overemphasize parental influence and the need to go back to your past to solve unhealthy behavioral patterns. Their concept of "co-commitment" is interesting. What I find curious, though, is that they assume that it is simple to become "co-committed" and that couples are either co-committed or co-dependent (a little too black and white for me). If a couple has some unhealthy patterns, then that does not mean that they have a dysfunctional relationship (but according to them, the relationship would be dysfunctional). In their defense, I think they present extreme examples to emphasize their principles. They rightly promote the need for accepting responsibility for one's own actions but do not point out the impact of chemical imbalance and mood disorders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, Dec 4 2011
The book is amazing, life transforming. It creates a gentle process for you look at your patterns of behaviour and how you are contributing to a situatuion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tell me again why I HAVE to read this book?, May 17 2004
By A Customer
I hate to be the one dissenting vote, as all the reviews seem so good, however, I can't get past the head beating to actually get anything out of it. They can't get to the point. At least they haven't in the first two tedious chapters and I'm already burned out. Everytime I think about the book I want to throw it out a third story window. I have no retention of what's contained in the first two chapters EXCEPT how important it is I read the book and follow the teachings. How many times do they have to tell you how important it is to read the book? HELLO! I am reading the book. Stop telling me how and why it's so damn important that I read it. I get it! I bought it! I'm reading! You had me! So get on with it already! Man, did they just have to fill space or what? It's VERY frustrating. I'm sorry, I'm not 5, I don't need to be repeatedly told why I have to do this over and over and over and over and over and over again. This message is repeated in nearly every paragraph. Is there any meat to this book, or just a bunch of propaganda about how much I HAVE to read it and do it?! Can we just get to the POINT so I can do that? I'm trying, trust me, but I just can't get past HOW VERY DARN important it is to do whatever it is they can't come out with. Holy cow. I'm exhausted. If someone has an idea about a chapter I can skip to where the BOOK actually exists, please let me know. Otherwise, mine is free to someone with ENDLESS patience who needs to constantly be told how much they NEED to READ THE BOOK AND FOLLOW THE PRINCIPLES. Nevermind what the principles are, you'll never get there.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment
Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment by Kathlyn Hendricks (Paperback - Jan. 1 1992)
CDN$ 23.00 CDN$ 16.61