4.0 out of 5 stars Second Tier
Published on April 20 2007 by K. S. Puls

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to my robbins expectations
I would say that I'm a big Tom Robbins fan.
And a huge part of my adoration of him comes from his amazing female charecters. So when I picked up this one and realized the main character was a guy, I was kind of dissapointment.
Published on June 19 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Tier, April 20 2007
K. S. Puls (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
Tom Robbins is the Grand Master of simile and metaphor, capable of incredible invention of unique characters exploring cosmic and comic themes in weird locales. His "Skinny Legs and All" is one of THE must-read books, and "Jitterbug Perfume" is also outstanding. Most of his earlier works richly reward the reader, with the exception of the pitiful toss-off "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas".

Unfortunately, "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates" isn't quite up to the level of his greatest work. It will still stop you cold with an image, a rhythm, an insight or a laugh, but there's a sense that Robbins had a lot of potential paths he considered following, that he wandered a ways down several of them, and in the end, he decided none of them really led anywhere in particular, so he might as well end it fast. The result is that you're stimulated, inspired, intrigued, amused, and finally thoughtful, but ultimately a bit disappointed. It's like you gave Leonardo paint, canvas, and brushes, and he created the Mona Lisa, but gave her Alfred E. Newman's smile and walked away. It's a comical take with clear evidence of genius, but you feel like a masterpiece got missed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to my robbins expectations, June 19 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
I would say that I'm a big Tom Robbins fan.
The dissapointment followed me throughout the entire book, which still has the tangly and outlandish plot of a classic Robbins, but I just couldn't fall in love with Switters and therefore didn't fall in love with this book either. Switters is no Sissy Hankshaw or Ellen Cherry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Above the rest, March 9 2011
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
If you have not read any Tom Robbins yet this would be a brilliant place to start. Tom Robbins has a way of weaving words and images that will have you re-reading pages again and again in amazement. His grasp of the English language and how to use it leaves one in pure delight and relief. You will find yourself laughing out loud on many occasions. This is an amazing vacation book or something to read when you have time to really sit and soak up large sections of what this gifted storyteller has to share with us. Regards

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Robbins, my hero, Jan. 5 2011
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
Wow, yet another masterpiece by Tom Robbins. I ADORE the main character and even catch myself occasionally talking like him now! A definite must-read if you like dark, quirky senses of humor.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Tao of Tom Robbins, Jan. 7 2007
Paul Cocker "pisceanpaul" (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
A poet, a philosopher, a polygon, there are many sides to author Tom Robbins. We see this in his earlier novels: In Another Roadside Attraction, he replaces paranoia and cynicism of Catholism, secret societies and conspiracy theories with humor and fun; in Skinny Legs and All, he spins a prosaic punchline around politics, religion, art and sex; in Jitterbug Perfume, we get a colorful allegory that travels over a period of a thousand years and traces the life of Pan, the god of nature, and a bottle of perfume that's the essence of the universe.

In Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates, Robbins again does a remarkable job of pulling in the secrets of history, religion, and anthropology, adding myth, magic and metaphor to present-day events, without being a heavy-handed preacher. The characters aren't as colorfully absurd and outrageously zany as they were in his previous works, but you won't forget them nevertheless. And his zest for language and life is sure poetry; his message is as sinuous and sly as the line in the yin-yang symbol.

Fierce Invalids lays it out for you clearly, faithfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fierce book in a hot climate, March 31 2005
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
Tom's books represent, literally and figuratively, everything unique and fun about this country. Tom has the uncanny knack of not just pouring you the juice by which to quench your soul's thirst, but also inserting a life line I.V. to ensure it hits its' target. No effort asides from sitting still and allowing the juice to run its' course is required. Needless to say Tom's juice is full of paradox, adventure, laughter, and philosophical meanderings. Simultaneously acting as a stimulant, an aphrodisiac, an hallucinogen, and a guided meditation, this book, like all of Tom's work, is, more than a great story, it's Finnegan's Wake-up call to the cultural malaise of the one true enemy: a mundane existence; a life without curiosity. Also highly recommended would be McCrae's CHILDREN'S CORNER and the great and funny GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Me likeee, July 23 2004
By A Customer
With a typical tangled, tangy, tawdry, turgid, tenacious, and tantalizing Robbins plot (Oh, dear, should I have said "Robust, rowdy, randy, rambunctious, rollicking?"), the mayor of Far-Fetched Land (uh, that would be Robbins) does it once again. Whew. Now. For those who adored EVEN COWGIRLS, STILL LIFE WITH WOODPECKER, ETC., you will absolutely love FIERCE INVALIDS. Sorry, don't mean to scream at you. If you don't like a good Tom Robbins novel, please, call an ambulance-more than likely you're already dead. Still, that's no reason not to buy this book.
Wacky? You bet. Robbins has a knack for plots that will keep your head spinning, yet somehow, these things he comes up with are believable. Don't ask me how he does it. Please see (what some have termed a "synopsis") of this novel (the book description above is good) because I can't even begin to tell you what it's about. The only other authors who come even CLOSE to Robbins are Boyle (think his WATER MUSIC) and McCrae in his BARK OF THE DOGWOOD. Yes, Robbins is an original, but these three have something in common: great writing, weird-land plots, characters that you'll fall in love with, and a sense of timing that Jerry Seinfield would envy. I was so worried I'd be disappointed in INVALIDS (I had visions of an old-folks retirement home), but I have to say that this is one of the most stellar, startling, strange, strung-out, and sensational reads I've come across in years.
Also recommended: EVEN COWGIRLS GET THE BLUES and ANOTHER ROADSIDE ATTRACTION. I'll stop yelling now.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, July 4 2004
Dynomoose "adynomoose" (New Orleans, La United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
With two exceptions, I can never decide which Tom Robbins book I love more. This is definately up there with the best!
Tom Robbins takes serious subjects (like religion and politics) and makes you laugh. Even more amazingly, his work makes you rethink your beliefs in a critical way. Not even slightly preachy or overbearing, His charaters' observations are educational as well as entertaining.
Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates is yet another example of his brilliance.
I can't really say more without giving away plot. This is a book best read cold. With no preconceived notions about it's plot lines or characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robbins in the Amazon, July 1 2004
Zeeshan Hasan (Dhaka, Bangladesh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
Robbins is right on form with this one! My only criticism is that his protagonist is an anarchist CIA agent with child-molesting tendencies. Which is, of course, ridiculous. Anarchists are far too moral to be CIA agents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulitzer Prize Winner, June 2 2004
Lauren Cleaver (Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (Paperback)
Never having reviewed a book before on Amazon...I was appauled, yes, literally appauled, to see that readers have rated this a four star book. Fierce Invalids is without a doubt the best book written within my lifetime, and that's saying something, because I am getting up there, man! Mr. Robbins (Tom, to me) is a spectacular writer, a celebration of life on our planet. My opinion, since you asked, is that Tom is just way too much fun for America; busy folks, important folks, folks struggling to make all their payments resent the fact that he and his characters are having such a great time living and laughing at life.

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates
Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins (Paperback - May 29 2001)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68