5.0 out of 5 stars Really good outlook on life
Published on July 22 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Diet Book
Appears adequate and is another way to attempt to lose weight for those of us who have tried various diets. Will have to wait to see if it works!!
Published 12 months ago by William Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good outlook on life, July 22 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet and Lifetime Nutrition Plan (Paperback)
Now I understand why I am the way I am. You take a checklist questionare to find out which of your glands is dominant. He explains why you crave the foods you like: You are looking for a quick fix to stimulate your designated glad. This would be okay, but your glands tire out. Tired out glands can no longer regulate the fat deposits on your body and you become overweight. The focus of this book is to go on a diet that will bring your glands back into balance. Once you are in balance your designated gland can control your weight once again. This is not a blueprint to loose a couple of pounds and then go back to your normal diet. This is a complete diet change. Buy this if you are looking for long term results. It tells you why some diets and exercises work for some people and don't work for others. Very motivating!

3.0 out of 5 stars Diet Book, April 5 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book/Amazon.ca amazing shipping, Aug. 9 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I just got this book so I have not tried the diet. However I read the original years ago and I most likely would have benefited by it but true to my T type I wasn't ready for slow weight loss. I wanted the lose 20 lbs in two days!! type of plan. Fast forward 30 years and I'm now ready to commit to something. I will update on my progress. However I also wanted to give some major snaps to amazon.ca. I have ordered so many books from amazon.ca and I am constantly amazed with the quickness of delivery. It seems I've barely ordered and before I know it they are at my door. So I love ordering from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars An answer to Prayer!, Oct. 12 2001
"aliciaqmx" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Hi my name is Alicia Vargas and I am 39 years old and a mother of 3 children and 1 granddaughter. I had never had an issue with weight. I quick smoking 3 1/2 years ago. Out of no where my weight started to increase I was 150 when I quit at about a size 9. I put weight on so fast I didn't know how to stop it. I have always been concience of what I eat but I could not stop the weight gain. I was so frustrated...I quit smoking to improve my health and the excess amount of weight I was carrying was causing me to be short of breath. 4 weeks ago my cousin gave me the book for my birthday. I said, to myself this is the last thing I am going to try. I have bought every weight loss pill, Atkins Diet, Drops in my water from plant extract, shakes and every exercise equipment that promised results in just 30 days. Only to get on the scale and still find myself at the same weight or more. Never did I feel satisfied and continued to crave carbs especially the week before my mentral cycle. I felt there was no hope I was dumed to be fat. I read the book, took the test, I am a Gonadal. I couldn't believe when I read the chapter pertaining to my body type. I felt like I was reading a horoscope. I read the plan for losing weight and begin the next day. I weighed in at 220 when I started and exactly 3 weeks after I went back to the my Chiropractor in absolute fear, as I did not want to stand on the scale. Closed my eyes to open them and find I had lost 17 1/2 pounds. I just stood there and cried in disbelief. Even better than losing the weight my energy level has sailed through the roof. I don't feel tired and sluggish anymore. My skin texture has changed. I had no cravings before or during my mentral cycle and my cramps were very light. I am on my 4th week now doing the last 5lb. portion for cleansing. It has truly been an answer to a very deperate plea. I know that a lot of research went into this book and I am so thankful as I could of never imagined feeling so great. My goal weight is 130lbs and I will continue the diet and excersise program until I meet my goal. I would love to send my picture to you from before and after. I have never been so content with food since I started this program. It is a life style change but one that is well worth the rewards. Thank you so very much this book it has impacted and changed my life forever.
Sincerely,
Alicia Vargas

1.0 out of 5 stars If at first you dont suceed, try try try again, April 16 1999
By A Customer
I found Dr. Abravanel's origional book through researching Jay Cooper's Book The Body Code on Amazon.com. I was intrigued by the number of negative reviews that appeared there that all mentioned Dr. Abravanel's work, so I went and bought Coopers book and the paperback version of Dr. A.'s. First I read Dr. A.'s book and was very confused and found it hard to get through. It certinally lacked substance in the exercise area(knowing that I was an Adrenal type it left me scratching my head, wondering what was best for me). Coopers book was very easy reading, answered my questions about exercise, and made me feel like I was about to embark on a journey that was reasonable, and easy to encorporate into my busy schedule. Obviously you have seen a need to up-date your book because of the increased interest in metabolic typing brought about by Coopers book and philosophies. Those of us who have a knowledge in health and fitness realize there was much research in this direction BEFORE your book, and are glad that through time and practial application of these methods, we can all benefit. Here's a thought "aren't we glad that they didn't stop scientific research when they discovered penicillin? Otherwise we would continue to have penicillin resistent infections without the benefit of new age antibiotics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, complete and it works, Nov. 20 2006
I always had a suspicion that diets could not not work for everyone. I was never a fan or weight loss diets but I needed to shed some pounds. Loosing weight on this plan is more of a side effect, the actual benefits are feeling great, gaining more energy, feeling like the body's functions are being optimized. I never thought I could do without coffee and thanks to this book I realized I was an addict! It is very true that this is not a diet, it's more of a lifetime guideline. My only comment is the variety of the foods is a bit limited. I love variety in food so I find the book is a bit outdated in that sense. But the program works and each individual can modify it to suit their needs. Dr. Abravanel does mention this over and over, we are the best judges for our own bodies, so it is our task to learn to listen to it!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's the only diet I have had long term success with., Aug. 24 2006
The metabolic principles the diet is based on seem to be sound because it works. I started at 198 pounds and within a week of being on the T-type diet I found my cravings dropped off drasticly which made sticking to this way of eating so much easier! The first week I lost 7 pounds, the second, third ,fourth and 5th I lost between 3 to 4 pounds weekly. I hit a plateau for almost a week at week 6 but by the end of the week I dropped 3 pounds all of a sudden. After the 6th week it wasn't hard to stick to at all because the T-type diet plan had become habit. I lost 1.5 pounds average every week for several weeks and hit plateaus 2x more which broke with a sudden loss again. Just by adding a regular brisk walk for 45 minutes a day I increased my weekly rate of loss by a half a pound and my energy increased so much it shocked me how low I had been before... I had no idea how much my high carb over processed diet was hurting me until Dr. A's book. The soup week wasn't my favorite part but it did what it was meant to and kept my loss on track. I can't tell you how good it felt to see my collar bones again or wear beautiful clothes in regular sizes. In 18 weeks I lost 45 pounds ending at 153 pounds.I kept the weight off for 2 years even with partying, drinking, eating in resteraunts frequently(single and in my 20's). I really abused my new metabolism before it caught up with me. It wasn't until after I met my husband and started a family that the weight came back. I'm sure it was the stress of the pregnancies that really pushed my body into metabolic imbalance again. I have been overweight, constantly tired and feeling low for so long now... reading these reviews has inspired me to pick up my old copy and get started toward wellness again with the guidlines Dr. Abravenel gave for my body type. If you are at all curious, try it. I hope it does for you what it has for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A winning book, Oct. 22 2006
I love this book, it has helped me lose over 30 pounds in 3-4 months & it's stayed off. It's very fascinating to learn about body types & then watch those around you & you can see what type they are by what they are always stuffing their faces with.

Author of

The Truth About

Caffeine

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book if you give it a chance. Patience!, March 22 2004
By A Customer
A couple of years ago, I was a poster child for T-Types. Skin and bones everywhere except for my love handles, belly, and cheeks. I am the classic T-Type. I had been eating all of the things you are supposed to eat when you are healthy (pastas, rice, etc.). Wrong!. If everyone followed the food pyramid the United States would sink into the ocean! I'm 5 foot 8 and when I was 26 I got up to 185 at one point. I was also drinking some pretty hearty beers. As Dr. Abravanel would put it, I was a skinny person who just happened to get fat! I exercised, ran, rode my bike, went to the gym. I could hardly shake any weight. I would reward myself for exercising with some pasta and french bread. I also love sweets. Fat-free candy must be good for you cause it has no fat in it right? My mom gave me her old-school copy of this book and soon she bought me the revised edition. I'm not a big fan of commitment and it was really hard to start this diet. It was easy for a while. I lost 10 pounds the first week. I lost a total of about 15 pounds after a few weeks. I continued to lose weight but eased off the diet. It took a really long time and the weight came back. I decided to go back on it and after about 3 weeks lost between 20-25 pounds. I now weigh 150 pounds. This is what I weighed when I was 16 years old. I have no gut anymore. It's all gone. I also hike and ride bicycles when I can. If you want to sit on the couch and be a tater the weight will come off more slowly. If you exercise for an hour a day and 4 or 5 days a week, you will drop weight like a bad habit. I can guarantee it. If you are a T and eat a lot of protein, I suggest you drink as much water as possible to clean the toxins from the meats out of your body. I hope this works for you like it has for me. I also cheat a lot and don't gain the weight back (beer, coffee, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Dr. Abravanel!, March 8 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book because it sounded pretty unique to me, the good rating, and what really got my attention was how much weight some of the reviewers said they lost in such a short amount of time while feeling great. I've lost about 20 lbs in 3 weeks, continuing to lose 1/2 to 1 1/2 lbs. daily, and I do feel a lot better.

ARRAY(0xad3de69c)

Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet and Lifetime Nutrition Plan
Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet and Lifetime Nutrition Plan by Elizabeth A. King (Paperback - July 6 1999)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88