march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 2, 1998
... the rest is awefull. I found myself wanting to quit reading it for the last 300 pages. It is really really bad! Which is just a shame, cause the first 100 pages are great. Fast and funny. The rest is neither.
on July 31, 2000
Bad, silly, superficial and really, really boring. And, of course, it is not a novel, only a lot of words and too many childish simils without any meaning.
on October 3, 2015
Interesting ideas, and a fun snapshot of the future from the time it was written, but ultimately lacks mastery and polish.
on February 2, 1999
As my english prof would say, "Hadn't Neil got anyone to peer-edit his work?"
on October 17, 2012
Disclaimer: Bad english

After playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and rewatching the Matrix Trilogy, I've desperately been looking for some gritty/noire cyberpunk content that would leave my mind thinking and dreaming. I've never liked reading when I was young; most of it was force fed by school teachers. Still, having grown up some, I decided to give a shot to novels again. After reading some reviews and synopsis online, you've guessed it, I purchased Snow Crash @ 17$ CAD.

It's absolutely incredible how overrated this book is. Since I hate leaving things unfinished, I forced myself through reading a quarter of it. I then decided to stop when reading more than 10 pages became a chore. Stopped about when the author describes the actions of a mechanical dog in a *dog thinking* way.

e.g:
-Dog usually like people
-But dog doesn't like this guy
-Dog decide to run really fast at bad guy
(WTF??)

For a book that was written in the 90s, the author was a visionary. However, for our current time, the book is boring.
Also, not only is it poorly written, the timeline makes no sense at all and there are wayyyyyy too many pitiful attempts at humor. Should have known better after seeing that the main character was named Hiro Protagonist (LOL!).

I'll leave the actual review to the more word-talented individuals. Just read the 1 stars reviews, they share most of my opinion in a better written way.

Thanks
on August 6, 2003
Childish, sophomoric, vulgar, juvenile. Get the picture? A complete waste of paper. My guess is that this book probably appeals to immature teenage boys with raging hormones (nothing wrong with that, per se, it's just that the book feels as if it was written by someone stuck in puberty) and those with limited imaginations - it certainly is not what one might call "literature." At best, it may be possible to that state the author has an "imagination," however, that doesn't make this book a creative experience. The story weaves and spins through endless threads that come from nowhere and then disappear, completely, into the ether. Got too much time on your hands and want something to scramble you brain on? Then this book is for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere for substance - this book doesn't have any.
on July 12, 2004
...but this has got to be the most disappointing novel I've ever wasted my time on! Okay, so I listened to the audiobook version while I was driving to and from work, and so I was kind of a captive audience anyway. But I would have been much better off spending that time listening to something like, "The Blue Nowhere: A Novel," by Jeffery Deaver (which I'm currently listening to), or maybe "Digital Fortress," by Dan Brown (which I've already read in book format). Although these novels may not have as much appeal to the true techno-geek/hacker types, they are much better suited to those of us who want to be engrossed in a truly riveting story while stuck in traffic.
Most of the time I was confused about whether the characters were in reality or virtual reality at any given moment, and the rest of the time I was confused as to what the story was supposed to be about. Don't get me wrong - there was some great material in there, and the story might have bloomed in the hands of a truly gifted writer, but judging by this novel, Neal Stephenson is apparently not that writer. All in all, this novel was entirely forgettable.
on October 31, 2005
This was the most painful book I have ever read! It is so disjointed, the reader has little or no idea what world the characters are in at any given time.You simply do not care about any of the players in the story at all.Live or die, it's all the same.It has no plot and has more loose ends than I have ever read or tried to read.The dialogue is childish and the author literally makes up his own words to describe things with no explanation whatsoever.If I can save one person from wasting his/her time reading this book, I can sleep better at night!