5.0 out of 5 stars Informative & Very Up to Date

3.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom combined with wackiness
Published 10 months ago by J. Nuttall

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative & Very Up to Date, April 27 2007
Linda Laney "Linda" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change (Paperback)
This book has given so much insight & so much hope that you can't imagine. I was suffering from depression and treated for it without realizing it was only a symptom for my "ride" with Menopause. Christiane gives the bigger picture for a variety of individuals, just not herself. Her personal experience with menopause added to the book. She had to experience change with a divorce, I had to experience change with a change in work and lifestyle. Boy do I feel better about myself & how my body is changing.

The depression was my body telling me "change". Unfortunately, as humans, we are resistent to change, but it will make menopause a lot easier for those that do. Change is not the same for everyone.

She has been quick to update her book with newer treatments & research.

The tarot cards "issue" is just her experience. She does not promote it anywhere else in the book. I found that this experience shows that she is not the traditional doctor that has blindfolds on.

Menopause has become a dirty word to women in the 2nd part of their lives. It is hardly mentioned, just like menstruation was when we were younger. We need to get our heads out of the sand & realize that times are changing & so are we & change doesn't have to be bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, March 2 2014
this book is amazing. It has helped me tremendously and I value it. Definitely a book to keep as a reference.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom combined with wackiness, Oct. 11 2013
J. Nuttall - See all my reviews
I am happy that I have this book in my library as it is helpful to be able to consult an expert medical opinion when my perimenopausal symptoms start to get me down. A reminder that there are all types of "normal" at this stage of life, and of the importance of good self-care, diet, exercise, is reassuring, and the author comes across as warm and compassionate. I also found the sections on the mental and emotional changes women go through at this time of life to be interesting and thought-provoking. There were a lot of "aha" moments for me when reading this book.

However, I find the combination of science and pseudoscience presented to be off-putting, to say the least. The author states that astrology and metaphysics play a major role in her thought processes, and these themes are repeated over and over. She is particularly enamored with the idea of intuitive healing and "the body's wisdom" (endless references to her friend/colleague Mona Lisa Schulz) and consults tarot cards as part of her self-diagnosis. When a person of science makes use of completely unproven quack techniques, there is a disconnect that I have trouble getting past. There are also endless suggestions of herbal supplements to combat physical or mental difficulties, and if a person were to follow this advice she would be downing handfuls of pills a day and could probably just flush her money down the toilet and save her body the trouble of processing it all. Many (most?) of the herbal remedies she promotes have no proven value, or have been thoroughly dis-proven by now (glucosamine for joint problems, gingko biloba for memory, etc. etc.)

The book is worth a read, for sure, but do it with a skeptical mind or risk being hood-winked. When you are in physical or emotional pain it is possible to be easily sucked into believing the implausible.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Extraordinary Books for Mid-Lifers, Oct. 24 2007
H. Clinton (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I have been educating myself about menopause since I hit 40. This book covers everything I discovered plus gives a spiritual side that medical literature never covers. It is full of excellent practical advice. Dr. Northrup combines traditional medicine with other "medicines" in a nice balance. "THE WISDOM OF MENOPAUSE" and Understanding: Train of Thought are life changing books. I can't recommend them too highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wisdom of Menopause, Jan. 1 2012
Everyone in menopause and peri-menopause should read this book. Lots of information that you need to know but won't hear from your regular doctor. Very eye opening information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, helpful advice for perimenopause and beyond, Nov. 8 2009
Janice Finlay (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
I orginally borrowed this book from the library, and was so impressed that I ordered the most recent edition for myself. It is extremely well-documented and covers numerous topics of interest for any woman who is at the perimenopause stage or beyond. Although much of the information is included in both editions, I would recommend purchasing the most recent one as it addresses new research, particularly in the area of hormone therapy. Other topics covered include bone and heart health, healthy diet and lifestyle choices as well as mental health. I particularly appreciated the holistic approach of the book, and found the writing style to be clear and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Wisdom of Menopause", Nov. 6 2009
Aquarius1 (Vancouver Island, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by a counsellor and it couldn't be a better guide for going through this natural transition in life. Dr. Northrup has presented well written, essential information and solutions for body, mind and spirit, much needed for women going through the change. It can be a powerful time, and we are not victims to our hormones. Reading this book, I find something useful on every page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, April 11 2009
C. E. Lough "explorer" (Kenora, On. Canada) - See all my reviews
I found "The Wisdom of Menopause" to be very helpful. The book gave me new insights into my emotional state after a messy separation. It also helped me understand the physical changes I'm experiencing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helthy read for Everyone!, Nov. 11 2007
This book provides information that is quite useful to all. There is information on mental health and much more. In short, a good book to augment your life and overall well being!

See also "Fluctuating Life" and "Quest For a Dream - A Life Committed to Progress" All great books with different subject matter.

CDN$ 25.00 CDN$ 20.00
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available