5.0 out of 5 stars Winterlong - a poignant tale of dark beauty

3.0 out of 5 stars Shattering
Published on Nov. 2 1999 by Stephanie Flatley

5.0 out of 5 stars Winterlong - a poignant tale of dark beauty, May 12 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: WINTERLONG (Mass Market Paperback)
This book impressed me so much that I've read literally every novel published by Ms. Hand since. The story has the feel of a gothic fairy tale. Such elements as a girl with Death in her eyes, ancient prophecies and a world that is, in equal measures, hi-tech wonderland, post-acopalyptic waste and fantastic feudal realm, Hand has transcended many of the standard boundaries around science fiction. In fact, if I were forced to name the genre of this novel, I would call it gothic sci-fi.

If you like painfully beautiful, ambisexual, amoral characters, then you should *definitely* check this book out. A must-read for fans of Anne Rice's _Interview With the Vampire_, as this book captures the feel of that novel in a way that Rice hasn't been able to since

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Serious Sci-Fi, Dec 17 1999
Todd Nickerson (Hastings, MI (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winterlong (Paperback)
Words, like shadows in a forest, evade me: they are tangled in the web of thoughts and feelings I felt while reading this masterpiece of post-apocalyptic beauty and horror. This is not light reading; it draws on mythic sources and tranmutes them into a world so darkly beautiful and rich, it's almost tangible. It will draw you in with its seductive, elegiac tone, reminiscent of the best writing from Anne Rice and, dare I say it, Edgar Allen Poe! Your mind will linger in this world long after the story is through, and you will keep the book near you while you read it so that you will be reminded that it is not a dream. Read this book and be forever changed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some things make worlds tilt...., Jan. 16 2000
Travis Hays (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winterlong (Paperback)
I have never read something so completely jarring and overwhelming as this. I initially picked it up in a used bookstore before going on a trip as something to pass the timed and quickly became mired in the words and feelings and depth of this timeless piece of work. The reader feels the characters, the setting, the stories in a way that no other writer I dare say is capable of, with the exception of maybe Thomas Harris. But just like other novelists of her caliber, Elizabeth hand is underrated and forgotten all too quickly. Her writing is timeless, and this novel is the best example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, deep and satisfying., July 3 2000
Gabe Randolph (A state of exalted intoxication) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winterlong (Paperback)
This is the kind of science fiction novel you do not see very often any more. Elizabeth Hand has managed to combine elements of mythology and weird fiction with cybernetic SF and spiced the brew with luxuriant blossoms from the garden of the Decadents. I say it this way because people have misunderstood so much. You cannot think Anne Rice when you read Elizabeth Hand. Yes, one can identify scraps of H.P. Lovecraft, Christina Rossetti and especially Tanith Lee, but Hand is not trying to write like anyone but herself.
And I'm only midway through the first chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars darkly beautiful, April 21 2000
This review is from: Winterlong (Paperback)
Every once in a while a book comes along that changes the way you look at the world. This was one of those books for me. It's gorgeously written and full of deep symbolism and mythic imagry (don't even try to understand it without 1st looking into the myth of Baal and Anat,) But on many levels, it is, as one reviewer stated, shattering. This is a book for those who are willing to brave dense language, seemingly wandering narative, and difficult imagry (on more levels than one,) but it is worth the work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping yet ultimately unfulfilling, Aug. 8 2002
Dyanne (Grahamstown, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winterlong (Paperback)
I truly enjoy Hand's writing - lyrical, expressive and detailed. As an example of her early work, this novel is a phenomenal piece of writing. Her characters are magnificent and she breaks just about every taboo you can think of without losing her sense of style. However, I found the ending to drag slightly, as she had left a great many loose ends to tie up. At this point I often found myself loosing sight of the plot. Certainly worth a read, but I would recommend Aestival Tide and Glimmering over it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shattering, Nov. 2 1999
Stephanie Flatley (ellicott city, md) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winterlong (Paperback)
One of the several works of Elizabeth Hand's that I picked up after being inspired by "Waking the Moon," this novel left me with a sense of chilled desolation. The characters touched a nerve that I don't want to feel again. Although I probably could not read "Winterlong" again, I am glad for the experience, and still give it high marks for its creative integrity and Ms. Hand's remarkable style.

2.0 out of 5 stars A stylish sci-fi story that collapses upon itself, Aug. 26 1998
This review is from: Winterlong (Paperback)
This novel showed great promise for the first half of the story, but then gets bogged down in some nonsensical motivations of some of the characters. I lost interest in the main character during the second half and maybe I missed the point of the novel. I just don't feel like re-reading it to get it. I loved the mood and style of the novel though, but that's just not enough to carry the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars WINTERLONG, Sept. 27 2001
Raymond J. Wright (HOLLISTON, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winterlong (Paperback)
Winterlong is a stunning, artfull, full throtle novel of unbelievable depth and style. Written with more imagination than most writers can muster in a lifetime, this is a novel that will leave you completely fulfilled and aching for more. Hand has created a civilization struggling to find it's place in a broken world that cuts so close to truth as to be disturbing. READ THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seamlesly blends the sensual, gothic, and gristly., April 27 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: WINTERLONG (Mass Market Paperback)
A gothic sci-fi tale with great depth of character and evocative imagry.

Wendy Wanders is an innocent but deadly telepath who explores the darkly sensual post-apocalyptic ruins of Washington, DC.

The imagry is truly unique and stunning, and keeps you captive. Strongly reccomended for sci-fi fans who seek truly "other-worldly" imagry within the familiar.

Winterlong
Winterlong by Elizabeth Hand (Paperback - Nov. 14 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.35