5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!
Published on Jan. 12 2004 by Rachel

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read-really 3 1/2 STARS
Published on April 20 2004 by Mrs taz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read-really 3 1/2 STARS, April 20 2004
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
I've actually started reading the Goldy Bear Culinary Series in order, which is unusual for me, so this is my third, and so far my favorite. The characters, town and overall setting really come together. Major personality development with Julian and Arch, which is very satisfying and offers some humor. Less mean old ex-husband which is a nice change and the set up for more between Goldy and Tom will keep fans coming back for more in this series.
The only disappointment is the premise for the mystery is a bit far fetched -- who in their right mind would leave their kid in an "exclusive" prep school after 2 murders? Because the author writes this with humor and a bit tongue and cheek, most will get by this litle snag.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but ..., April 13 2004
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
First, where I'm coming from: I'm a woman, I'm a busy professional, I'm an Ivy League graduate. [Why is this person telling me this, you ask yourself?] Well, it means that I relish my down-time, I love novels and mysteries and fantasies, I love to escape into the pages of a well-written, intelligent, funny, engaging book, and okay, a bit of romance is just fine too, thank you. Having heard about the Goldy series from a firend as light diversion with yummy recipes, I took this book out of the library (a great source to check out books before I may want to purchase them and make them part of my personal library), and started with number 3 (which I ordinarily disdain) since numbers 1 and 2 were out. I did go into this with an open mind, and although I plowed through, wondering who the murderer was and where Goldy's relationship with Tom was headed, and would the kids be okay, I was generally disappointed in the prose and, finally, the mystery. The latter was a bit of a stretch, and the former just felt rather pedestrian. There were some good lines and evocative moments, and some of the culinary passages were tasty indeed, but perhaps my disaffection comes from having just whipped through the 4 truly erudite, hilarious mysteries by the late Sarah Caudwell, which kept me stimulated and entertained (AND I found that I had to consult my dictionary several times as well!). I am also a huge fan of Elizabeth Peters and the Amelia Peabody series----witty, clever, funny, romantic, and educational (I know a lot more about Egyptology, archeology, and turrn-of-the-century history than I did before reading those books). So, although there's NOTHING wrong with ligher, less challenging offerings, I found the Cereal Murders overall less satisfying (for me) as a mystery and as a novel than the books by Caudwell & Peters. If your tastes run more to the latter, Davidson may not be a writer you want to spend oodles of time with. Not bad, but not great. Me, I'm passing on any more Davidson books and opening up the new Kinky Friedman book...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tasty Read, March 24 2004
K. Morgan (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
When Goldy Bear, owner of Goldilocks Catering, caters a college prep dinner at Elk Park Prep school she gets more than she bargained for when after the dinner she finds the murdered body of the school's valedictorian. Things only get stranger from that moment on as Goldy the caterer tries to solve the mystery and keep up with the threats to her and her family.
The Cereal Murders was a good read. It is suspenseful and full of mystery right up to the end. The characters of Goldy, Arch, Julian, and Tom are very well developed and connected. They seem like people next door. They are very believable and dimensional. The storyline was good and moved along at a fast pace. It was easy to keep reading because the events and happenings flowed easily from one to another.
This was my second Goldy book and I was not disappointed. A good book to read for the mystery lover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
Along with being interesting, this is a very suspensful book. My stepmom actually purchased this book for me at a store because she thought I might find it interesting. I'm glad I started reading this book because I found it to be one of those books I am unable to put down. One of my favorite parts of the book are the recipes, which all look delicious. This book kept me guessing until the very end and is one fo those books that constantly make the reader have to keep searching different angles in order to find the identity of the killer! It was an excellent book and I suggest it for any person that likes murder mysteries. I give this a 5 star!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elk Park Prep is crime scene, Aug. 25 2003
Karen Sampson Hudson (Reno, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
In this book, one of the best of the Goldy Bear Culinary Mysteries, Elk Park Prep becomes the site of a murder when the senior class valedictorian is found dead. Goldy finds herself investigating, and in the process learns about what lengths parents will go to, trying to get their offspring into elite colleges.
As usual, the recipes Davidson inclues are wonderfully fun to make, and delicious to eat. Goldy, fueled by copious cups of heavily caffeinated coffee, unravels the mystery.
Recommended as a marvelous diversion.

5.0 out of 5 stars a guilty pleasure, Feb. 14 2003
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
I know, it's impossible to think that a small town in Colorado could have _that_ many murders and that the same person would be so involved with each murder. But Goldy, of Goldilocks Catering, always seems to end up right in the thick of things in this story and the others in this seiries.
The story is pretty good - a guilty pleasure after reading med records all day. And I love the way she talks about preparing food. Lots of folks don't seem to understand that being able to go into the kitchen and produce a great chocolate cake after a frustrating day can really feel productive.
If you like murder mysteries and cooking, you have to try out this book - it's a great combination of both and the recipes are truly wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice for decadent mommy time :-), Aug. 20 2002
Lylah "Lylah" (North Pole, Alaska United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
I am more of a sci-fi/fantasy fan but I do enjoy a good mystery now and again. I spotted this one in the grocery store and decided to give it a try.
This book, while not great literature....is a fun and entertaining book which doesnt take itself too seriously. Goldy Bear is a caterer who, as in "murder she wrote" seems to have a penchant for getting into trouble. She is also the single mom of a teenaged boy and a survivor of domestic abuse.

In this book, while catering a party at her son's prep school,( her x hubby pays for this extravegance, though he doesnt pay his child support) she finds the body of the class valedictorian. Being the caterer for most of the school's functions, and many of the students parents, she finds herself quickly embroiled in a mystery which seems to be hitting a bit closer to home than she would like.
The book is peppered throughout with actual recipes, punctuating her catering functions. Personally I think it is really neat to have the recipes, and while not being a chef, it has actually gotten me interested in cooking :-)
I am off to buy the rest of her books and next time I am going to save them to pamper myself with. I am going to look up one of the recipes and bake it before i sit down to read and decadently read and munch lol.
what a great way to spend some quality mommy time. (Treat yourself, why not?)

3.0 out of 5 stars Add a start if you enjoy cookbooks!, Feb. 4 2002
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
Diane Mott Davidson writes a fast moving book and the addition of recipes and descriptions of her preparations as a caterer are fascinating for an aspiring gormet. However, the prep school parents vying to get their kids into Ivy League schools portrayed in the book were not only annoying but completely unrealistic. The dialogue was often absurb and Goldy the caterer would have lost many a job by her smart alleck comments that she made to her clients. The ending was unconvincing and I found the frequent references to her physically abusive physician ex-husband ("the jerk") annoying. His character had nothing to do with the story line - why did she include him?
I found the book frustrating because it could have been so much better. Mott maintains the suspense, featuring a caterer as a main character is interesting and the recipes are good! (I tried some.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Add a start if you enjoy cookbooks!, Feb. 4 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Smartness can get you killed!, Sept. 6 2001
V. VanCamp "lovesbookslovesmusic" (Ithaca, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
Goldy finds herself in a war in Arch's school. The struggle between parents is over whose senior is the smartest, the most talented and the most well rounded. Many of Goldy's catering assignments in this book end in disaster! Goldy never knows what she is going to find this time around. Will it be a fight, will she be scolded or will there be a dead body?
In "The Cereal Murders" Diane Mott Davidson serves up a hearty meal of murder, jealousy, petty thievery, angst and pranks (which end up getting a few people hurt)! You will be entertained with the activity of many twists and turns in this mystery. As always, Goldy herself is sassy and stubborn.
There are treats involved. A side dish consists of some romance and a marriage proposal that is repeated again and again. How sweet!
D. M. Davidson provides us with 11 very delicious looking recipes in this book. Enjoy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Cereal Murders
The Cereal Murders by Diane Mott Davidson (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1994)
CDN$ 9.99