ANOTHER GREAT READ FROM THE QUEEN OF CULINARY MYSTERIES
With this book and the others in this series, Diane Mott Davidson shares her intelligence and sense of humor with the reader.

Published on Jan. 6 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but ...
Published on April 13 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but ..., April 13 2004
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
First, where I'm coming from: I'm a woman, I'm a busy professional, I'm an Ivy League graduate. [Why is this person telling me this, you ask yourself?] Well, it means that I relish my down-time, I love novels and mysteries and fantasies, I love to escape into the pages of a well-written, intelligent, funny, engaging book, and okay, a bit of romance is just fine too, thank you. Having heard about the Goldy series from a firend as light diversion with yummy recipes, I took this book out of the library (a great source to check out books before I may want to purchase them and make them part of my personal library), and started with number 3 (which I ordinarily disdain) since numbers 1 and 2 were out. I did go into this with an open mind, and although I plowed through, wondering who the murderer was and where Goldy's relationship with Tom was headed, and would the kids be okay, I was generally disappointed in the prose and, finally, the mystery. The latter was a bit of a stretch, and the former just felt rather pedestrian. There were some good lines and evocative moments, and some of the culinary passages were tasty indeed, but perhaps my disaffection comes from having just whipped through the 4 truly erudite, hilarious mysteries by the late Sarah Caudwell, which kept me stimulated and entertained (AND I found that I had to consult my dictionary several times as well!). I am also a huge fan of Elizabeth Peters and the Amelia Peabody series----witty, clever, funny, romantic, and educational (I know a lot more about Egyptology, archeology, and turrn-of-the-century history than I did before reading those books). So, although there's NOTHING wrong with ligher, less challenging offerings, I found the Cereal Murders overall less satisfying (for me) as a mystery and as a novel than the books by Caudwell & Peters. If your tastes run more to the latter, Davidson may not be a writer you want to spend oodles of time with. Not bad, but not great. Me, I'm passing on any more Davidson books and opening up the new Kinky Friedman book...

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice for decadent mommy time :-), Aug. 20 2002
Lylah "Lylah" (North Pole, Alaska United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
I am more of a sci-fi/fantasy fan but I do enjoy a good mystery now and again. I spotted this one in the grocery store and decided to give it a try.
This book, while not great literature....is a fun and entertaining book which doesnt take itself too seriously. Goldy Bear is a caterer who, as in "murder she wrote" seems to have a penchant for getting into trouble. She is also the single mom of a teenaged boy and a survivor of domestic abuse.

In this book, while catering a party at her son's prep school,( her x hubby pays for this extravegance, though he doesnt pay his child support) she finds the body of the class valedictorian. Being the caterer for most of the school's functions, and many of the students parents, she finds herself quickly embroiled in a mystery which seems to be hitting a bit closer to home than she would like.
The book is peppered throughout with actual recipes, punctuating her catering functions. Personally I think it is really neat to have the recipes, and while not being a chef, it has actually gotten me interested in cooking :-)
I am off to buy the rest of her books and next time I am going to save them to pamper myself with. I am going to look up one of the recipes and bake it before i sit down to read and decadently read and munch lol.
what a great way to spend some quality mommy time. (Treat yourself, why not?)

ANOTHER GREAT READ FROM THE QUEEN OF CULINARY MYSTERIES, Jan. 6 1997

By A Customer
This review is from: Cereal Murders (Audio Cassette)
"The Cereal Murders" romps through the world of private education with witty insight. As seniors at Elk Park Preparatory gear up for college admission, they and their parents need more than guidance counseling when a star student turns up murdered after an school event catered by Goldy Bear (owner of Goldilocks' Catering, Where Everything Is Just Right). Goldy and her sometimes-boyfriend, Homicide Detective Tom Schulz, become embroiled in the case, discovering many clues and a few red herrings along the way. The recipes alone are worth reading--be careful not to drool on the page!

Check out Diane Mott Davidson's other books as well--all are equally delicious!

For other, non-culinary, humorous mysteries, try any of Dorothy Cannell's offerings. She is another author with a tongue-in-cheek, sometimes irreverent style of writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tasty Read, March 24 2004
K. Morgan (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
When Goldy Bear, owner of Goldilocks Catering, caters a college prep dinner at Elk Park Prep school she gets more than she bargained for when after the dinner she finds the murdered body of the school's valedictorian. Things only get stranger from that moment on as Goldy the caterer tries to solve the mystery and keep up with the threats to her and her family.
The Cereal Murders was a good read. It is suspenseful and full of mystery right up to the end. The characters of Goldy, Arch, Julian, and Tom are very well developed and connected. They seem like people next door. They are very believable and dimensional. The storyline was good and moved along at a fast pace. It was easy to keep reading because the events and happenings flowed easily from one to another.
This was my second Goldy book and I was not disappointed. A good book to read for the mystery lover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smartness can get you killed!, Sept. 6 2001
V. VanCamp "lovesbookslovesmusic" (Ithaca, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
Goldy finds herself in a war in Arch's school. The struggle between parents is over whose senior is the smartest, the most talented and the most well rounded. Many of Goldy's catering assignments in this book end in disaster! Goldy never knows what she is going to find this time around. Will it be a fight, will she be scolded or will there be a dead body?
In "The Cereal Murders" Diane Mott Davidson serves up a hearty meal of murder, jealousy, petty thievery, angst and pranks (which end up getting a few people hurt)! You will be entertained with the activity of many twists and turns in this mystery. As always, Goldy herself is sassy and stubborn.
There are treats involved. A side dish consists of some romance and a marriage proposal that is repeated again and again. How sweet!
D. M. Davidson provides us with 11 very delicious looking recipes in this book. Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Add a start if you enjoy cookbooks!, Feb. 4 2002
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
Diane Mott Davidson writes a fast moving book and the addition of recipes and descriptions of her preparations as a caterer are fascinating for an aspiring gormet. However, the prep school parents vying to get their kids into Ivy League schools portrayed in the book were not only annoying but completely unrealistic. The dialogue was often absurb and Goldy the caterer would have lost many a job by her smart alleck comments that she made to her clients. The ending was unconvincing and I found the frequent references to her physically abusive physician ex-husband ("the jerk") annoying. His character had nothing to do with the story line - why did she include him?
I found the book frustrating because it could have been so much better. Mott maintains the suspense, featuring a caterer as a main character is interesting and the recipes are good! (I tried some.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Add a start if you enjoy cookbooks!, Feb. 4 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes! 3 Star Story!, June 21 2000
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of Diane Mott Davidson's series of culinary mysteries with Goldy the caterer. This one deals with the murder of the valedictorian of the prep school. Goldy discovers him when she is packing up the catering van after a college information night/event. The story focus is on the pressure of getting into the "right" college. The pressure is on the students, their parents and the administrators and teachers. The question is, who will sink to any level to achieve what they believe they deserve. While the storyline was a bit stark for me, the recipes were excellent. The Chinese Beef stir fry, the Biscotti, Red n Whites, and the Galaxy Doughnuts were just a few of the excellent choices. Some of her other books that I really enjoyed were, Main Corpse and Prime Cut, and then Tough Cookie.

5.0 out of 5 stars a guilty pleasure, Feb. 14 2003
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
I know, it's impossible to think that a small town in Colorado could have _that_ many murders and that the same person would be so involved with each murder. But Goldy, of Goldilocks Catering, always seems to end up right in the thick of things in this story and the others in this seiries.
The story is pretty good - a guilty pleasure after reading med records all day. And I love the way she talks about preparing food. Lots of folks don't seem to understand that being able to go into the kitchen and produce a great chocolate cake after a frustrating day can really feel productive.
If you like murder mysteries and cooking, you have to try out this book - it's a great combination of both and the recipes are truly wonderful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read-really 3 1/2 STARS, April 20 2004
This review is from: The Cereal Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
I've actually started reading the Goldy Bear Culinary Series in order, which is unusual for me, so this is my third, and so far my favorite. The characters, town and overall setting really come together. Major personality development with Julian and Arch, which is very satisfying and offers some humor. Less mean old ex-husband which is a nice change and the set up for more between Goldy and Tom will keep fans coming back for more in this series.
The only disappointment is the premise for the mystery is a bit far fetched -- who in their right mind would leave their kid in an "exclusive" prep school after 2 murders? Because the author writes this with humor and a bit tongue and cheek, most will get by this litle snag.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Cereal Murders
The Cereal Murders by Diane Mott Davidson (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1994)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49