5.0 out of 5 stars Sensual Dreams
Diana Ransom is a psychologist in San Fransisco. When Diana's cousin goes missing, Diana is led to Nicholas Gale, a mysterious man who avoids the daylight. Nicholas is an immortal who has lived through centuries, surviving by skimming the dreams of humans. When Nicholas starts to invade her erotic dreams, Diana find herself attracted to the tall blond stranger.
Don't...
Published on April 23 2004 by Lealing

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Plot Potential But Lacks Depth & Pizzazz!
Published on Sept. 22 2003 by Jana L. Perskie

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensual Dreams, April 23 2004
Lealing (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
Don't let the cover put you off from reading the book. I was reluctant to read the book at first because of the embarrassing cover. I'm glad that I managed to read it in the end. This is a very original story of a vampire who survives not by taking blood but by taking life force by weaving dreams. Susan Krinard is one of my favourite authors and her paranormal romances are always gripping reading. The chemistry between Nicholas and Diana is magnetic. The more you read about the dreams, the more you want to find out about Nicholas. The sex scenes are hot but sometimes it's difficult to know whether it is a dream or reality. Nicholas is a gorgeous hero, despite the ugly looking man on the cover. A very original read and highly recommended.
Lealing

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Plot Potential But Lacks Depth & Pizzazz!, Sept. 22 2003
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
Diana Ransom is a 30 year-old psychologist/therapist, who lives in San Francisco, and carries around lots of excess emotional baggage - "physician heal thyself." While growing up she was very close to her sister Clare, & her cousin Keely. Clare and Keely were aspiring young artists. Diana's creative outlet was through her strong, very vivid dreams and fantasy life, which she was able to create, control and mold at will. Diana's and Clare's parents and Keely's mother were killed in a terrible accident, Keely was separated from the girls by her father, and Clare, who had just reached her majority became young Diana's guardian. After the sisters' terrible loss, Clare began a relationship with a handsome, magnetic man, who she never introduced to Diana. She gave herself over to him completely, until he seemed to drain the very life from her. When he left her she became apathetic, with no will to live. Clare committed suicide. Diana stopped dreaming after her sister's death, but has remained firm in her resolution to find the man she believes was the cause of her sister's fatal unhappiness. She is very wary of men and relationships, and very protective of her cousin Keely who has recently come back into her life.
Keely has recently become involved with a mystery man also, and her situation begins to remind Diana of Clare's. Keely is totally unwilling to discuss the man she is in love with, or to introduce him to Diana. She begins to look strung-out after spending time with him, and then suddenly she disappears. Worried sick, and frantic to find her, Diana introduces herself to mysterious Nicholas Gale, a charismatic businessman, who she believes may be responsible for Keely's disappearance. She and Gale are drawn to each other with a force Diana does not comprehend - but Nicholas Gale understands their mutual chemistry all too well.
This is an unusual fantasy-paranormal romance. Gale and his twin brother Adrian, his darker half, are not vampires in the true sense of the word. They do not drink the blood of their victims, they absorb the life force they need to sustain themselves through the victims' dreams. Nicholas never hurts the women he uses, he skims their excess energy, leaving what they need to remain vital and alive. In return he gives the women the memory of extremely erotic dreams. Adrian, is not as careful and is certainly not bothered by Nicholas' "mortal" morality. He has drained the life from women and left their bodies behind without a second thought.
The plot-line is certainly an interesting one, and the novel could have been a winner. However the characters are stereotypes, much too predictable. Ms. Krinard gives us the classic heroine who fears relationships and needs to be with a "super man" to learn the beauty of sex and love; our hero broods in his immortal loneliness and then nobly resists love when he finds it "for the sake of his lover's life;" and the villain is a classical villain. No surprises here. Some of the dream sequences are erotic and original. But the overall narrative is similar to hundreds of others found in this genre. The story and characters both need a touch of salt or pepper - some spice to liven it up. I did enjoy reading the book to the end, but could not ignore its flaws. I would certainly try another, later book by Susan Krinard, as I believe she does possess originality and potential.
JANA

1.0 out of 5 stars De-Fanged Vampires? Save Me From Political Correctness!, Feb. 22 2002
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, so we've got two gorgeous, identical twin brothers, both of whom are immortal and both who take their sustenance form humans. But are these regular vampires who take the blood of their victims? No, these guys enter other people's dreams (always females, of course), manipulate the dreams to give them an erotic content, and then skim off the person's excess "life force" - some sort of mystical hoodoo. Naturally, one twin longs for mortality while the other revels in his immortality. And, as you must have suspected by now, Twin A finds the woman who can make him mortal, while Twin B tries to do everything in his power to stop him.
See how quickly I told you the plot? It took the author 425 pages. Of course, Twin A never admits to the woman who is his salvation that he has a twin, so we have the whole mistaken identity scenario going on, not to mention the endless, boring dream sequences. (I don't think that I can forgive this author for the cliche of having one of her heroine's favorite fantasies being riding a wild horse on a beach.) The characters are poorly developed - we are given just bits and pieces of the heroine's past (the older sister who was driven to suicide by the loss of her lover, the cousin with the troubled past, the death of her parents), as if that should explain her rather unprofessional (she's a psychologist) and erratic behavior. I was sorely disappointed with this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spark the imagination!!! 4 1/2 Stars!!!!, Dec 4 1998
Sarah "sssspro" (North East, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book when it first came out, 2 years ago, but it still sticks in my memory and has been relegated to one of my favorite books. I don't like to give 5 star ratings because you never know about the next book...but this book deserves atleast a 4 1/2 star rating! Susan Krinard writes a wonderful story that is obviously well thought out with dynamic characters and page turning plots. The sexual tensions are usually so thick, one can cut them with a knife. This story makes you stop and think...hmmmm...I know this is impossible, but what if.... That is what makes good fantasy, great. And Prince of Dreams IS great. If you are looking for a good read and not just "fluff" definitely pick up this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, June 12 1997
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of the best novels I've read in a long time. It features the most original treatment of vampires that I can remember seeing (who ever would have thought of a vampire who feeds on dream essence? Well... OK, so at least one person thought of it....).

The story itself may be fascinating, with two vampires who are the last of their race, sibling rivalry, and a gutsy woman who gets caught in the middle, but it's also an absolute scorcher of a romance. Read this one wearing asbestos!

Oh, one last word of warning. You spend 9/10ths of the book loathing the villain, but.... Well, I'm not going to give away the ending. You want to find out, buy the book! It's worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and different - a mix well worth the read., Sept. 21 1998
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
Generally, I do not read vampire books as I have no interest in them but I am always looking for a different read. Something out of the ordinary that still seems real enough to accept. I think the emotional components in the story allow for this sense of acceptance. You get drawn in by the characters of whom were well thought out and constructed. Each one pulled me in with a strong emotional impact. I hated the bad brother, and yet at the end of the story I wanted to read more about Adrian. With any luck Susan Krinard will tell his story too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant read, Aug. 7 2002
MtnGirl (Ft. Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first book of Ms. Krinard's, and I plan on keeping it! The storyline is good with Nicholas being more of an incubus than a vampire, but still, the idea that someone can enter your dreams and take nourishment off your "pleasure" is very intriguing. I have read one of her other books, loved it, and am now in the process of collecting her others. I can't wait to continue reading all her other books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Prince of Dreams, Feb. 22 2000
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was horrid! I could not believe I wasted my time just trying to wade through half of it. I skipped entire pages of meandering dialogue and repetitive musings. I kept waiting for something, anything, to happen. I couldn't muster any compassion for any of the characters. I didn't even like the cover art. This book was a huge disappointment and doubt I will read any of the author's other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A DIFFERENT ORIGINAL STORY LINE. A MUST READ!, March 28 1998
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
Never have I read such an intriguing vampire book such as this one. Two vampires, the last of their kind, look so much alike but are very different. Drawing life force rather than sucking blood, what a refreshing approach to vampire novels. Diana Ransom, psychologist, defies Adrian, Nicholas' brother, that love can win all. A very good book to entertain you with. Worth reading for sure!!

1.0 out of 5 stars I skimmed right through it!, Oct. 13 2001
Shellie (Off a dirt road, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
This book did not hold my interest very long. Not long after I started reading it, I began skipping through it. I would not under any circumstances buy this new. I traded my copy off as soon as I had the chance. This is not up to the standards of Ms.Krinard's work. I just didn't believe in the characters. I don't believe they really cared for one another. Sorry.

Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams by Susan Krinard (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1995)
CDN$ 8.99