5.0 out of 5 stars Lock S-foils into attack positions, 'cause away we go!
Published on April 6 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Lingering injuries maim a good story
Published on March 28 2000 by Mike

4.0 out of 5 stars Stackpole Does It Again In Book 4 !!, July 29 2002
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
Once again, Michale Stackpole promises an exciting and suspenseful adventure. Boy, does he ever deliver! As we enter this, the fourth book in the X-wing series, the members of Rogue Squadron have resigned their commissions. Their intentions are very clear - to free Thyferra from the clutches of Iceheart, better known as Ysanne Isaard. They get some help along the way, some of it from unlikely sources.
This novel is rich with action - dogfights galore! And the plot twists! Plus, this novel heralds the return of some of the older squadron members (from the comic book series), as well as expanding on such characters as Iella Wessiri and Mirax Terrik. Booster Terrik puts in his appearance in this novel. And Expanded Universe fans are also given a real treat as Talon Karrde puts in an appearance.
Although some parts of the book are rather predictable, others will blow you out of the star system! But be warned, there is very little in the way of ground fighting in this part of the series. It's almost all starfighting! As far as I'm concerned, this book holds it own with the others in the series, although boook three is still my favorite thus far. Stackpole seems to have ironed out the kinks in the series that he experienced in the first novel. Now the action is fast-paced and intense, enabling the reader to become so engrossed that they nearly finish the novel in one day!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Ending, But Not Without Faults, April 2 2002
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
Michael Stackpole finishes what he started with this, the fourth and final book in the first storyline of the X-Wing series. Taking what he has learned from the first three books, Stackpole improves on his previous work in many areas. Unfortunatly, he falls short in others, and a few of the faults which define all of his work still remain.
In the plus column, this is possibly the fastest paced of Stackpole's X-Wing books. Very little of the slow, largly uninteresting scenes which plagued the previous three, especially Rogue Squadron. Also, characters other than Corran Horn get some real attention in this book. Iella Wessiri, in particular, recieves the treatment she deserves. Booster is a good addition, even if he occasionally seems to derive some of his traits from Talon Karrde, who makes a welcome cameo here. Mirax is also a great character, tough and independent (note to other males out there: women who can take care of themselves are much more fun than brainless bimbos. Sorry, personal opinion). Gavin is also getting some further devolpment.
On the downside, this books suffers, perhaps worse than the previous three, from what I call "Rebels Always Win Syndrome." Throughout the book, the Rogues suffer no serious losses in their battles. Not one of the main characters dies. Furthermore, it seems like they are having no problems wiping out Star Destroyers left and right with little more than a squadron of X-Wings.
Another issue, one which seems to be ongoing with Stackpole, is the characterization of the Imperials. Honestly, Ysanne Isard, Fliry Vorru and Erisi Dlarit never once seem threatening. Isard is possibly at her lowest point in the series. While she has never been Grand Admiral Thrawn, she showed promise in books one and two of becoming a very dangerous and cunning adversary. Here, she is a joke, and it is a shame that Stackpole squandered her initial promise.
Still, despite the fact that I tend to hit on the negatives more than the positives (I'm a born critic, what can I say?), the combination of action, interesting characters and character interaction, and quality writing combine to make this an above average entry into the world of Star Wars literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was all right, Aug. 10 2000
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was pretty good as it tied up all the loose ends left from the previous books in the series: Mirax and Corran, Isard and the bacta thing, Erisi, etc. (Except for Zsinj, but he gets dealt with later in the series.)
Stackpole keeps up the excellent writing and stays true to what we've seen in these characters before, except Isard. Situations were written extremely well also, and the story flows very nicely. I'm also pleased with the direction of Corran Horn.
I had a few problems with this book, though. In the end battle for Thyferra, I would've liked to see more ground action. If Stackpole is going to include a ground battle along with the space battle, he should describe both in equal amounts. Unfortunately, I thought there was far too much description of things happening in space that didn't need to be there. There's lots of character perspecitve and I got lost a few times. I also think that Stackpole threw everything he'd laid down about Isard out the window. No longer was she cunning and intellegent, but she was cocky and stupid. She just didn't seem to be the same character. And the fact that Bror Jace didn't die after all? It seems to me that the 'Impossible is what Rogues do best' phrase has been overdone. Jace didn't serve a significant role and was better off being a casuality.
As just one book, I didn't like it, but since it's included in a series that seems to just all run together as one book, it was okay. The only reason I read this book at all was because I'd read the others. A good one for fans of the series or for people who have read the others.
Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lingering injuries maim a good story, March 28 2000
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
The Bacta War is almost certainly the best book of the X-Wing series, so if you are one of those people who loved their earlier books than this is a great addition to your collection. Unfortunately, it is still smarting from some of the problems that authors of this series refuse to correct. It still has too many characters, presented to early to keep track of properly. In fact, at some points even late in the book I could not remember what species a character was! Its battles seem either too fast or too slow, like when a Star Destroyer is reduced to ash in just a few short pages, or when dogfights that should have lasted a few seconds at the most drag on for quite some time. This problem, however, is not exactly the author's fault, as the amount of information required to track multiple ships in three dimensions is often difficult to compress. The major enemies are still failing flight school, Isard included, and the Rebels often inflict enormous casualties at very little cost thanks to impractical scheming, luck, or a combinations of both. Even so, the plot was by far the best from the X-Wing series, and compared to say, Wedge's Gambit, the other problems don't show up as often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lock S-foils into attack positions, 'cause away we go!, April 6 1999
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
In book four, The Bacta War, the legendary Rogue Squadron has left the New Republic and is on the impossible mission of freeing the planet Thyferra from the iron grasp of Ysanne Isard. But impossible is the team's trade and they do it well. Let's cut the chase. This book features some of the most awe inspiring dogfights and space raids ever seen before, movie, book or game. The Rogues rock the galaxy with high-soaring excitement that could only come from Michael A. Stackpole. With the entrance of Tal'dira and his Chir'daki, the action flies and so de the laser blast as Imperial TIEs are eaten for breakfast. Corran Horn must come to terms with his Jedi heritidge and the hilarious appearence of Booster Terrik (the father of Mirax Terrik) brings a little trouble into the love between Corran and Mirax. With all of the favorites and some new characters, The Bacta War is the perfect climax of dogfights and love. As Mr. Stackpole's most incredible X-wing yet, this book is a treasure. Dogfights and action explode as this baby rocks the galaxy. Bravo, Mr. Stackpole. This book rules!
Knight Blade 79

5.0 out of 5 stars Seat-of-your-pants dogfights had me biting my nails like mad, March 14 1999
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
One of the things that I was expecting right off the bat were incredible dogfights. I wasn't disappointed! One of the many things about Star Wars which I love is the incredible dogfights that the movies portrayed.
I have an acitve imagination, so sometimes I try to imagine the dogfights that the book is describing using only the information the books have given me. Even though the books don't go into great detail, I can re-enact the dogfights inside my head with ease!
The story elements are rich. Fliry Vorru is the most rounded character in the entire book, since Stackpole spent so much time inside his head and developing his motives and actions. Fliry didn't seem predictable, but rather, he felt...logical.
I love the book. Kudos to Michael Stackpole! I wish that he hadn't ended the series with that book and then gone on to a different squadron, though. I want to know who'ds going to pick up Tycho Celchu's character! He's grounded in the Star Wars universe and he's a very interesting character, so explore him!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Star Wars books by far, Dec 10 1998
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
(And that goes for ALL of the X-wing books) I'm ashamed to say that when I first heard about the X-wing books, I decided not to read them because I figured there would be too many battles, and I hate reading battles, so I assumed the novels would be boring to me. But during a severe case of Star Wars withdrawal when I was ready to kill for something new, I figured, what the heck?
Boy was I wrong! The whole series (and especially this book specifically) was so incredible. The best thing about it was that it took us far away from the typical cut-and-dry Star Wars book formula. Wedge Antilles is the unsung hero who clearly proves something I've always thought important: you do not need the force to be heroic (I realize that Han already proved this, but he's in Luke's shadow all the time.)
The battles were honestly not that bad! I didn't understand the technical X-wing terms, but I like how all the characters worked together, and after a while I did get pretty knowledgeable about some things (like the difference between a squint and an eyeball).
Also the romance. I've always thought that Star Wars could use a little more romance, and not just Luke gets dumped by another girl because they just can't live with him. Stackpole not only put romance in the books, but he wrote it very well. Not mushy gushy, but real, open and honest, with realistic obstacles. For instance, Corran and Mirax learning to admit they were wrong in their prejudice about each other and learn to become friends.
My favorite is Pash Cracken. I don't know why, I just like hime a lot. I've also always liked A-wings.
The Bacta War was my favorite mostly because I have a tendency to like the last book in a set of books the best. Honestly I tend to think of trilogies and the like more as one great big book in volumes.
Read this book. Read the whole series!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this whole series! Definitely the best of Star Wars., Jan. 14 1998
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
I am probably one of the biggest Star Wars fans ever and even though I also love the stories involving Luke, Leia and the rest of the regular gang, I really, really love well written stories involving characters who aren't so well known. Congratulations to Michael Stackpole on a fabulous job. I really enjoyed the character development of Wedge Antilles and the addition of so many wonderful new characters, Rogues and Imperials all. Isard is one of the most beleivable female villains I've ever had the pleasure of reading about! The space battles are incredibly detailed and will give any fan or newcomer a real adrenaline rush! If this isn't enough and you need more while waiting for Stackpole's next achievement, may I recomend the X-wing comic books that take place between the Star Wars trilogy and his novels. He wrote the stories for them as well as a piece he co-authored for Tales from the Empire. They are a gauranteed good time!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Suitable Conclusion for the first four X-Wing novels., Aug. 21 2001
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
Mike Stakepole does a nice job of wrapping up the first four books of the X-Wing series in "The Bacta War". It is clear after reading more than one of these novels that the author has a real flair for descriptions of combat and dog-fights in space. This stems somewhat from the fact that the books are loosely based on the "X-Wing" and "TIE Fighter" computer games released by LucasArts in the mid-1990s. Fans of these games will find a near instant familiarity with many of the terms used in those games, as will long time fans of the movies who have paid attention to the chatter of pilots. And indeed it seems to be the space battles which this book is based around. Although I found the majority of the book enjoyable Stakepole really shines when surrounded by the chaos space combat. Buy this book for the intricate battle set pieces but not for a deep character driven story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does no one just stay dead anymore? (spoiler warning), July 31 2000
This review is from: The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a good close out to the original four books of the X-wing series. Stackpole came on like gangbusters with his first three, the best of which was the third followed by the second. All new characters free the author to do daring things but. . .
Every important character who died in this series was resurrected. Good character, that is. Andoorni Hui and Peshk Vri'syk are exceptions but then we never knew them to begin with. Same for Shiel.
Lujayne dies and we get her sister. Jace dies and in the worst travesty of the whole series shows up in the last book for one chapter. Corran dies, no wait. Mirax dies, no wait. Gavin dies, no wait.
The best sequences in the whole series are the deaths of Loor and Derricote. at least they stay dead. I hope, I haven't read Ruin yet and I'm very really afraid that they will show up at the end.

The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing)
The Bacta War: Star Wars (X-Wing) by Michael A. Stackpole (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1997)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49