Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on July 29, 2002
Once again, Michale Stackpole promises an exciting and suspenseful adventure. Boy, does he ever deliver! As we enter this, the fourth book in the X-wing series, the members of Rogue Squadron have resigned their commissions. Their intentions are very clear - to free Thyferra from the clutches of Iceheart, better known as Ysanne Isaard. They get some help along the way, some of it from unlikely sources.
This novel is rich with action - dogfights galore! And the plot twists! Plus, this novel heralds the return of some of the older squadron members (from the comic book series), as well as expanding on such characters as Iella Wessiri and Mirax Terrik. Booster Terrik puts in his appearance in this novel. And Expanded Universe fans are also given a real treat as Talon Karrde puts in an appearance.
Although some parts of the book are rather predictable, others will blow you out of the star system! But be warned, there is very little in the way of ground fighting in this part of the series. It's almost all starfighting! As far as I'm concerned, this book holds it own with the others in the series, although boook three is still my favorite thus far. Stackpole seems to have ironed out the kinks in the series that he experienced in the first novel. Now the action is fast-paced and intense, enabling the reader to become so engrossed that they nearly finish the novel in one day!
on April 2, 2002
Michael Stackpole finishes what he started with this, the fourth and final book in the first storyline of the X-Wing series. Taking what he has learned from the first three books, Stackpole improves on his previous work in many areas. Unfortunatly, he falls short in others, and a few of the faults which define all of his work still remain.
In the plus column, this is possibly the fastest paced of Stackpole's X-Wing books. Very little of the slow, largly uninteresting scenes which plagued the previous three, especially Rogue Squadron. Also, characters other than Corran Horn get some real attention in this book. Iella Wessiri, in particular, recieves the treatment she deserves. Booster is a good addition, even if he occasionally seems to derive some of his traits from Talon Karrde, who makes a welcome cameo here. Mirax is also a great character, tough and independent (note to other males out there: women who can take care of themselves are much more fun than brainless bimbos. Sorry, personal opinion). Gavin is also getting some further devolpment.
On the downside, this books suffers, perhaps worse than the previous three, from what I call "Rebels Always Win Syndrome." Throughout the book, the Rogues suffer no serious losses in their battles. Not one of the main characters dies. Furthermore, it seems like they are having no problems wiping out Star Destroyers left and right with little more than a squadron of X-Wings.
Another issue, one which seems to be ongoing with Stackpole, is the characterization of the Imperials. Honestly, Ysanne Isard, Fliry Vorru and Erisi Dlarit never once seem threatening. Isard is possibly at her lowest point in the series. While she has never been Grand Admiral Thrawn, she showed promise in books one and two of becoming a very dangerous and cunning adversary. Here, she is a joke, and it is a shame that Stackpole squandered her initial promise.
Still, despite the fact that I tend to hit on the negatives more than the positives (I'm a born critic, what can I say?), the combination of action, interesting characters and character interaction, and quality writing combine to make this an above average entry into the world of Star Wars literature.
on August 10, 2000
This book was pretty good as it tied up all the loose ends left from the previous books in the series: Mirax and Corran, Isard and the bacta thing, Erisi, etc. (Except for Zsinj, but he gets dealt with later in the series.)
Stackpole keeps up the excellent writing and stays true to what we've seen in these characters before, except Isard. Situations were written extremely well also, and the story flows very nicely. I'm also pleased with the direction of Corran Horn.
I had a few problems with this book, though. In the end battle for Thyferra, I would've liked to see more ground action. If Stackpole is going to include a ground battle along with the space battle, he should describe both in equal amounts. Unfortunately, I thought there was far too much description of things happening in space that didn't need to be there. There's lots of character perspecitve and I got lost a few times. I also think that Stackpole threw everything he'd laid down about Isard out the window. No longer was she cunning and intellegent, but she was cocky and stupid. She just didn't seem to be the same character. And the fact that Bror Jace didn't die after all? It seems to me that the 'Impossible is what Rogues do best' phrase has been overdone. Jace didn't serve a significant role and was better off being a casuality.
As just one book, I didn't like it, but since it's included in a series that seems to just all run together as one book, it was okay. The only reason I read this book at all was because I'd read the others. A good one for fans of the series or for people who have read the others.
on August 21, 2001
Mike Stakepole does a nice job of wrapping up the first four books of the X-Wing series in "The Bacta War". It is clear after reading more than one of these novels that the author has a real flair for descriptions of combat and dog-fights in space. This stems somewhat from the fact that the books are loosely based on the "X-Wing" and "TIE Fighter" computer games released by LucasArts in the mid-1990s. Fans of these games will find a near instant familiarity with many of the terms used in those games, as will long time fans of the movies who have paid attention to the chatter of pilots. And indeed it seems to be the space battles which this book is based around. Although I found the majority of the book enjoyable Stakepole really shines when surrounded by the chaos space combat. Buy this book for the intricate battle set pieces but not for a deep character driven story.
on August 11, 1998
Stackpole really did an excellent job on the Bacter War. There has been a grate improvement since he wrote Rogue Sqaudron, which to me was the worst in the series. However I do like his style of developing his chareacters before killing them. You get to know about every commandig officer aboard each of the Impstar Duece's and SSD's.I thought that was really help. It was tedious to me at times but gave story more depth. Another interesting aspect I liked was his use of betrayel trough the series. Even though I thought the situation with Bror Jace and Gavin were confirmed Stackpole would surprise me with a different ending for their situations. I would have given this book 5*'s but I hated those ground missions.
on March 17, 2002
This has been, overall, a great series, and this book was one of the best. Tieing up most of the loose ends, (Isard, Mirax and Corran, etc) it also didn't shy away from showing some of the best character interactions I've seen yet, which really made me care about these characters. On a lesser note, we finally get to find out where Bacta comes from! I've been reading the New Jedi Order for a while, so I know what happens to Corran later in life, but still, I was very pleased, if not surprised, by his devopments in this book. I'd recommend this series mostly to teenagers and adults, due to some adult themes. Besides that though, this book was highly enjoyable and I look forward to the next one!
on April 26, 1999
The conclusion of the first 4-book arc in Stackpole's X-Wing Series, this pits Rogue Squadron against the Bacta Cartels and Ysanne Isard in a personal battle. Lots of fun action (both on the ground and in space), and a fairly good selection of characters. My only real complaint is that...well, some of the dialogue seems rather cheesy (I almost felt embarrassed in parts). Still, worth reading if you're a Star Wars fan--it's one of the better novels available.
on November 11, 1998
I have always been a Star Wars fan, ever since I saw the movies. Then, when I saw the X-Wing series, I couldn't believe my eyes! Finally, a really cool series focusing on X-Wings! I loved every moment of the series, though I was d when I read the parts where Corran and Mirax supposedly die. A great series! I recommend it to any Star Wars fan. (Especially those eho spend their time playing X-Wing on their computer).
on September 3, 2002
...because it's time to take out the trash! That's right, now that the New Republic has Corsucant and, because of political reasons, is focusing its military might elsewhere, the now freelance Rogue Squadron has to take on Ysanne Isard and her Bacta Cartel alone. But that's okay, impossible is what Rogue Squadron does best. A fitting close to the first cycle of stories in the X-Wing series. Highly recommended.
on October 7, 1997
The X- Wing novels are an exciting, fast paced and easy read. I did not think they were great science fiction, but they were very enjoyable. Stackpole created some new and very interesting characters like Corran Horn and Gavin Darklighter and wove them into the Star Wars universe with great success. There were no boring moments in this series. Just a lot of fun.