5.0 out of 5 stars Never disappointed
I haven't been disappointed yet by any of Luanne Rice's books. Firefly Beach is no exception. Great story, great characters, great ending....
Published on March 7 2003 by Theresa W

3.0 out of 5 stars Good In Spite of Itself
Published on Aug. 20 2003 by Kimberly Weiss

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good In Spite of Itself, Aug. 20 2003
Kimberly Weiss "kaweiss" (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
Describing the plot of this book, it's hard not to be sarcastic. The coincidences rival some of the plots of Unsolved Mysteries. Nothing happens only once. Caroline watches two strangers die of gunshot wounds in two unrelated incidents 10 years apart. Later, two characters get the exact same injury on the exact same day, also in unrelated incidents. What are the chances? And don't get me started on the chichihua/rat mixup story. Urban mythologists say it never really happened, but it does here.
Still, despite the credibility-straining plot, the book eventually won me over. Luanne Rice is a good writer, and the characters were, for the most part, three dimensional and likable. Their actions were usually well-motivated--no one was an alcoholic or a neglectful mother without explanation. There was a bit too much symbolism given to little objects (snake bones, black pearls, etc.) and Rice should never try to write in the voice of a child--the letters between two young characters and a young girl's diary did not ring true. But in the end, I was really hoping for a happy ending for this family, which means that overall, the book worked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never disappointed, March 7 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I read this one first!, Dec 8 2002
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
In the past two years I've become a big Luanne Rice fan. Each of her books has bylines connecting it to another of her books. "Firefly Beach" ties in the charactes from the her others books, namely "Safe Harbor", "Follow the Stars Home" and "True Blue".
"Firefly Beach" sets the background information for the rest of the books she's written. It explores the life of the Renwicks, who are the focal point of Hubbard's Point and mentioned in the other stories. I actually think I enjoyed this book the most, as it most closely resembles my (lack of) love life!
This is classic Luanne; it will make you angry, happy and cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Place, A Magical Book!, Nov. 12 2002
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
Luanne Rice is one of my very favorite writers because her books never fail to interest, entertain or move me as she sets the stage with both wonderful relationships between her characters and intriguing plots. And while I always want to gulp down her books, I find myself sabing some of her books so I always have something to read by her.
Firefly Beach is set in Hubbard's Point, Connecticut, which will also be the location of two other books, Safe Harbor and True Blue, written by Ms. Rice. It is in this beach town that Hugh and Augusta Renwick have raised their three daughters Clea, Caroline and Skye. Now, many years later previous events in these women's lives continue to loom over them. The oldest daughter Caroline owns the local bed and breakfast, which caters to an artistic crowd who continue to revere her well- known father and painter. Clea, the middle daughter is married to a local minister, the mother of two young children and provides the voice of reason and stability in the family. Skye, an artist and the youngest daughter has recently left her philandering husband continues to deal with her involvement in a family accident by drinking too much is prone to fits of depression and causes her family to constantly worry about her. And presiding over the family is Augusta, now the widow of a famous artist who deals with all adversity by closing her eyes to the very real problems her daughters deal with in their lives.
Now Joe Connor arrives in Hubbard's Point on an expedition to salvage a ship that sunk many years ago. As a young man his path crossed with the Renwick family when his father presumably died from a heart attack in the Renwick's home. Caroline, a young girl wrote Joe a condolence note after this event which resulted in them corresponding for several years until Joe as an adolescent learns the truth about his father's death. Now finally meeting Caroline in person, Joe can neither hide his hatred of Caroline's family nor his attraction to her. And Caroline beset by the past and Skye's current emotional deteriaration cannotignore that she is quite taken with the man who she so adored as a young girl.
In my opinion, there are few writers today who present readers with family stories as well as Luanne Rice does. Whether she describes the love between parents and children or siblings for each other, this author always manages to bring tears to my eyes. And in Firefly Beach she presents a memorable relationship between Caroline and Joe and the three sisters and their mother which makes this book a most worthwhile read.
I now look forward to reading Safe Harbor and True Blue which continues the story of some characters readers first meet in Firefly Beach. I have a feeling that I will also throughly enjoy these two books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as "Summer Light", Oct. 25 2002
pisces (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
Too much unnecessary violence and profanity. It seemed like all the characters were made into alcoholics for the sake of character conflict.
The romance of Caroline Renwick and Joe Connor is complicated by a shooting that involved both their parents years ago. Caroline and Joe began writing letters when they were teenagers, so there's a lot of backstory told through letters.
This novel feels a lot like Nicholas Sparks's "Message in a Bottle" what with taking place near the ocean, and lots of old letters remembered. "Firefly Beach" has lots of stuff about deep-sea diving and oceanography, as the Connor brothers are scuba divers looking for lost ocean treasure--very similar to the diving instructor in "Message in a bottle".
However, Luanne Rice's Connecticut shoreline is nowhere near as compelling as Nicholas Sparks North Carolina shoreline in "Message in a Bottle," which I might rather read than "Firefly".
Luanne Rice's other novel, "Summer Light", the one that came after "Firefly", was the better one of the two Luanne Rice books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, June 11 2002
Barbara Kauffman (GERMANTOWN, MARYLAND USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
Don't waste your time and certainly don't waste your money. If you're looking for a book to relax with and read on your summer vacation this is NOT the book. The characters have no depth and no personality. The story line is nothing but surface fluff and the author makes no attemp to explore the crisis her characters face. By the 24th chapter I thought surely this book would have an exciting climax - NO!...instead the author inserts unrealistic epitaths to wrap up her story in a hurried and inconclusive way. Don't waste your time. Read the Three Sisters Trilogy instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich family loyalty and deep understanding., April 29 2002
Denise Bentley "Kelsana" (The California Redwoods) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
Caroline Renwick has been the strength that held her family together. The oldest of three daughters of a famous artist whose life was riddled by sadness and alcoholism, Caroline has been the foundation her mother could never be.
As a very young girl, a terrible tragedy has changed the direction of her life, and the person at the center of it is back on the scene. Will it spell trouble by dredging up old hate and angers not yet faced by those that have carried them for years like an old skin, uneasily shed? Will tragedy bring all of these characters closer?
This is a well written book that flows easily leaving you with likable characters that you can't help but wish the best for. I did enjoy the read though it is predictable. I already have another Rice book waiting in the eves to be read, titled BLUE MOON. Kelsana 4/29/02

5.0 out of 5 stars firefly, April 9 2002
"tweehr" (AKL New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
My second favourite book after "SummerLight". I felt warm, and happy after I read the book. Luanne Rice touch my soul deeply. Firefly Beach which I just finished few hours ago, brought me closely to my heart which is still pounding as I am thinking of the book. I share Caroline's view and feelings even thoughts as I am looking at my own life unveil. I am one of the three sisters,unlikely Caroline, I am the youngest but the one who is caring the burden.
I would love to read it again and again , i will own this book when the hardcover is out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Melodrama, Feb. 9 2002
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been hearing people rave about Luanne Rice's books for some time now, so I thought I would give this book a try. I found the premise of the story very interesting. Two families brought together by tragedy, who go their separate ways, and are drawn back together thirty years later. The Renwick family is well drawn. The emotionally uninvolved Augusta Renwick, matriarch to the three Renwick girls, Caroline, cool and sophisticated, Clea the happily married earth mother and Skye the alcoholic mess. The problems stem from the overwhelming tragedies that seem to permeate the entire storyline. From the opening chapter scene of impending murder, to the accidental death of a young man caused by a young girl, the doom and gloom dragged the tone of the whole book down. The formulistic love story between Caroline and Joe was very predictable. What does save the book is the chemistry of the three sisters, whose story is heart warming, and believable. We all want to believe that love and loyalty can be the answer to a lot of unhappiness, and in this particular instance that is true. I have one other Luanne Rice book on my never ending To Be Read pile, so I will give this author one more try at winning my loyalty.

5.0 out of 5 stars always wonderful, Feb. 6 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
I've come to count on the wonderful stories of this author. I love her characters. I love her settings. I love her families, even ones like this one with so many problems. As always, I lose myself in the world she creates and I'm sorry when I come to the last page. She is a beautiful, graceful, sensitive,intelligent writer and I can't wait to read her next book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Firefly Beach
Firefly Beach by Luanne Rice (Mass Market Paperback - May 29 2001)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54