march boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on September 2, 1996
Red Mars was absolutely riveting, one of the best SF books ever: Green Mars was not quite as good as Red Mars, but it kept up a good pace and interesting story. Blue Mars runs out of gas. I got tired of reading about people just wandering around Mars
on August 25, 1998
The sociological implications of this book are very large, and reveal a complex and worthy work of documentation and set-up. The style is not as fluid as it should be, and the story gets sometimes too slow to follow, and jumps around too much.
on November 24, 1999
Blue Mars grabbed me and swept me through its pages as well and as quickly as the first two books. Robinson deserved his Hugo for this, and more. If you liked the first two books, this one will not disappoint.
on August 31, 2001
I found the story very slow, and could not get interested in the female characters. Ann I found very annoying. The story became boring into the last third. I'm sorry to say I found the book a disapointment.
on April 2, 1999
It is a pity I could not feel good about this trilogy because of missing the SF favors. I agree with most of the reviewers. Red is better than Green and Green is better than Blue.
on March 28, 2003
The three books in Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars Trilogy" are my absolute all-time-favorites. He is truly gifted at writing about advanced science and technology and equally adept at creating "real" characters, because he understands psychology. This is a rare talent: to be scientifically knowledgable and a master at creating believable characters. The books are part action, part scientific explanation (like Michael Crichton of Jurassic Park fame), and part character development.
In "Red Mars" (the first in the series) Robinson paints a totally believable picture of what our future might be like as we get ready to explore and colonize Mars. Mega-corporations, earthly power struggles, and the selection process for determining who might get to be the first to go to Mars, are all very possible and Robinson crafts a story around these topics with ease.
In the second book, "Green Mars," Robinson portrays the struggle to get vegetation growing and to create a breathable atmosphere. He also describes more political struggles between those on Earth and those on Mars. This was probably my favorite of the three, but mainly because I am more interested in the science that would be needed in this phase of colonization.
In the third book, "Blue Mars," the planet become more Earth-like. The atmosphere is more developed, water travel becomes possible, and more. (I don't want to give it all away!)
The books can be kind of scholarly at times, but I was so impressed with these books that I gave them to my teenage brother. He was so impressed with them, that he gave them to one of his very best pals. And we all had a blast discussing them together. If there is a teenage male in your life -- or if you love sci-fi and have always wondered what it might be like to go to Mars -- then this trilogy is definitely for you. Very highly recommended!
on March 2, 2000
Disappointing. The author started out promisingly enough with 'Red Mars', but by 'Green Mars' becomes too involved in his strident anti-capitalist agenda to present a decent story. 'Blue Mars' simply continues in this vein, hobbling an otherwise promising story idea. Too bad, Kim, next time stick to the science over the transparent dogma.
on March 10, 2002
The science was OK but the fiction was decidedly female, even feminist, and rife with 1990's-style political correctness. Unworthy of a Hugo. Try Dan Simmons or Vernor Vinge instead.
on March 10, 2002
on October 24, 2003
I've read almost all the Hugo and Nebula winners and I don't know of any works less deserving of these awards than the Mars trilogy. If all three books (1900 pages or so) had been condensed to one 300 pager, it might have had enough plot, exciting characters, intriguing ideas, to have been worth it. For a classic tale of Mars colonization, I much prefer "The Martian Chronicles."