5.0 out of 5 stars Kim Stanley Robinson Does Mars - BLUE
This whole series: RED, GREEN and BLUE, fully explore Mars like we wish we could, but can't afford.

Character development is great as are the various scientific aspects of the books.

Lots of adventure and excitement throughout make it an enjoyable read from start to finish. I've read this series twice now, IT'S THAT GOOD
Published on Nov. 22 2011 by fastreader

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow Way to End, But...
On the one hand, I love this series. Robinson's recurring characters, the survivors of the "First Hundred" and their offspring, are memorable and fascinating. Another fascinating aspect of this story is the ever-unfolding terraforming of Mars. We start from the bare-minimum survivability achieved at the end of Green Mars, and eventually move on to seeing bees,...
Published on March 13 2004 by Bart Leahy

5.0 out of 5 stars The disappointed are wrong, or poor readers., Aug. 19 1996
This review is from: BLUE MARS (Hardcover)
Of course I loved Mars Red and Green, as did every sf reader.
Clearly the last instalment does not have the virtue of sheer
momentum, and necessarily is two books past novelty, despite
its equally adroit and fascinating futurology. What it does provide
is that rarest of of recent sf commodities ­ a true completion of
a trilogy cycle. It becomes a single complete piece ­ the
life and times of one particular place and moment, not to be
messed with again. In that it is both modest and proud.
For it finally it gives us that payoff, so long in coming and so
hard earned, therefore entirely convincing: at the end the Reds
do come to terms with the Greens ­ the symbols of their
drawing together thickening toward the end till we come upon the
book's last, simple and triumphant realisation ­ I believed with
Ann, that original Green, when she came to be able to think:
I'm on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars.
As a rose is a rose is a rose, Blue Mars is true Mars, multi-hued
Mars, forever new Mars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anxiously awaited "Blue" but now I'm disappointed..., Aug. 2 1996
Loved "Red" and "Green"! So much that I looked up other
books and read several by the same author. Didn't like
any of his others as well as the Mars books. In fact,
the writing style seemed quite different. Still, I was
so impressed with Red and green, I was really looking
forward to "Blue".

Unfortunately, I did not like it as much as the previous
two books. As I found in my experience with his others,
the writing style seems different. In short - less lucid.
I am impressed with his technical discussions on a variety
of issues: biology, psychology, politics to name a few, but
pursuit of technical discussion has far overshadowed the
interesting character interaction present in the first two
books.

I rarely "skim-read" and was most depressed to find myself
doing it during Blue. It felt as though I was saying "yeah,
yeah, yeah" during what should have been a much more
satisfying read.

Even so, I still give Blue a 6. The subject is so
interesting and Robinson puts much detail and thought
into it. Take out about 20% of the technobabble and you've
got a 10!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Color Blue: Not Quite the Sum of Red and Green, July 8 1996
This review is from: BLUE MARS (Hardcover)
In Blue Mars, Robinson maintains the same pace-setting standards of large concepts and extraordinary detail found in the earlier two volumes, Red Mars and Green Mars. The only missing ingredient is an underlying compelling plot, which is why I do not rate it as high as the first two books. Red Mars built up slowly to the first (failed) revolution. Green Mars built up just as slowly to a successful struggle for political independence. Maybe it is unfair to ask for a third-time-around plot device similar to that found in Red/Green, but its lack does make Blue a more difficult -- yet still rewarding and always thought-provoking -- read. One side of my brain says to rate it lower because it gives so much less in the way of short-term reading enjoyment. The other side of my brain says to rate it higher because it maintains the same high level of world-building and pre-conceived concept shattering. So I think I will stick right here at "8" and feel less than satisfied with this rating from both directions

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Mars Series" is great for the teenage male in your life, March 28 2003
This review is from: Blue Mars (Mass Market Paperback)
The three books in Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars Trilogy" are my absolute all-time-favorites. He is truly gifted at writing about advanced science and technology and equally adept at creating "real" characters, because he understands psychology. This is a rare talent: to be scientifically knowledgable and a master at creating believable characters. The books are part action, part scientific explanation (like Michael Crichton of Jurassic Park fame), and part character development.
In "Red Mars" (the first in the series) Robinson paints a totally believable picture of what our future might be like as we get ready to explore and colonize Mars. Mega-corporations, earthly power struggles, and the selection process for determining who might get to be the first to go to Mars, are all very possible and Robinson crafts a story around these topics with ease.
In the second book, "Green Mars," Robinson portrays the struggle to get vegetation growing and to create a breathable atmosphere. He also describes more political struggles between those on Earth and those on Mars. This was probably my favorite of the three, but mainly because I am more interested in the science that would be needed in this phase of colonization.
In the third book, "Blue Mars," the planet become more Earth-like. The atmosphere is more developed, water travel becomes possible, and more. (I don't want to give it all away!)
The books can be kind of scholarly at times, but I was so impressed with these books that I gave them to my teenage brother. He was so impressed with them, that he gave them to one of his very best pals. And we all had a blast discussing them together. If there is a teenage male in your life -- or if you love sci-fi and have always wondered what it might be like to go to Mars -- then this trilogy is definitely for you. Very highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star is one too many, March 2 2000
This review is from: Blue Mars (Mass Market Paperback)
Disappointing. The author started out promisingly enough with 'Red Mars', but by 'Green Mars' becomes too involved in his strident anti-capitalist agenda to present a decent story. 'Blue Mars' simply continues in this vein, hobbling an otherwise promising story idea. Too bad, Kim, next time stick to the science over the transparent dogma.

1.0 out of 5 stars Feminist PC Sci-Fi, March 10 2002
This review is from: Blue Mars (Mass Market Paperback)
The science was OK but the fiction was decidedly female, even feminist, and rife with 1990's-style political correctness. Unworthy of a Hugo. Try Dan Simmons or Vernor Vinge instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Feminist PC Sci-Fi, March 10 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Robinson needs an editor, Oct. 24 2003
Larry A. Brown (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Mars (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read almost all the Hugo and Nebula winners and I don't know of any works less deserving of these awards than the Mars trilogy. If all three books (1900 pages or so) had been condensed to one 300 pager, it might have had enough plot, exciting characters, intriguing ideas, to have been worth it. For a classic tale of Mars colonization, I much prefer "The Martian Chronicles."

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, Feb. 12 2004
This review is from: Blue Mars (Mass Market Paperback)
Political tripe set on another planet so it can masquerade as science fiction.

Blue Mars
Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (Mass Market Paperback - June 2 1997)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49