5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyed the read
I would recommend this book to my friends to read. The story was long and you never knew where it was going.
Published 9 months ago by Gwen Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars Beach Music could have been better
I love a book that you can really sink your teeth into. I love a great story that offers a story within a story, espescially when it eventually completes a puzzle. I love a satisfying ending, even if it isn't necessarily a happy one.
Beach Music was frustratingly close to all of these things, but it never quite got there. I'm not sure why the author chose to no go...
Published on March 26 2004 by Daniel Swanson

4.0 out of 5 stars Beach Music", Dec 25 2013
I like the deep character reveals. Once you finish reading you feel like the characters in this book are your friends and you will miss them.

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyed the read, Oct. 7 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Will stay in my heart a very long time!, Feb. 14 2013
This review is from: Beach Music: A Novel (Paperback)
Wonderful book! I was transported into the sixties, in the south, among a close family of childhood friends. Emotional, yet, not sappy----I couldn't put it down.
This is the third of Conroy's books I have read and I feel---his best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite Style, May 16 2001
This review is from: Beach Music (Mass Market Paperback)
Conroy blends lots of characters with an exquisite style that pulled me into the world of Beach Music. Beach Music and Prince of Tides were what Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil could have been, but wasn't. His Southern characters and settings are magical.There are some complaints about the plot, but his writing is so exquisite, who cares? Pat Conroy turns emotional turbulence into a mystery plot. I can't wait to find out why his characters are so screwed up. The payoff isn't always as great as the anticipation, but the journey is delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, April 22 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Beach Music (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book several years ago and then again about three years ago and now again. As a southerner with a love/hate relationship with the south, Conroy was right on target with his character and location discriptions. The book gets slow at times but just sticking with it pays off. The only thing I hated about it was finishing it. It draws you in and you just want it to continue forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding Storytelling, Dec 21 2003
This review is from: Beach Music (Mass Market Paperback)
Southern Fiction to dwell in, Mr. Conroy is a talented storyteller and knits together a most amazing novel. Holocaust survivor stories meet a coming of age in the 60s tale, seasoned with sand and sea, betrayals, mental illness and drunkenness, which then evolves into a novel of family, faith, friends and forgiveness. There are numerous vivid and emotionally rich stories within this book, and many social statements. The language is stunningly brilliant, the characterizations are almost caricatures but somehow quite believable. A multilayered book, that not only maps out the city of Rome, but which is rich in the cadence of the South (specifically low country of South Carolina) with side trips to California, Minnesota, the hills of Appalachia, Canada and Nazi occupied Europe. Between the places and the stories, music and food weave in and out, and this was a book I was sad to finish. Crossing my fingers for a film and a soundtrack to go along with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beach Music Audio Book, Dec 29 2009
This review is from: Beach Music (Audio Cassette)
Product was satisfactory. Condition of cover was a little less than expected but did not effect the product. Enjoyed the audio book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Pat Conroy!!!, Aug. 31 2007
Carol Paterson (N. Vancouver, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Music (Mass Market Paperback)
Nobody writes about the South like Pat Conroy. This is another "Winner"
the characters are wonderful and believable. I never want his books to end.
I do hope he has another coming soon!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but could have been three books, July 13 2004
Larry Hand (Woodstock, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Music (Mass Market Paperback)
For a book that curiously begins with an error in the first sentence (the "Silas Pearlman Bridge in Charleston" is really the Silas Pearman Bridge), this is a fine read. Perhaps the change in spelling is literary license. After 500 pages down and 300 to go, I was ready to drive to Charleston and throw the book over the bridge from which Shyla leapt. However, I'm afraid of heights and, since the book was heavy enough to kill a whale if it hit him on the head, I decided to just finish it. It was a richly rewarding experience.
Still, I was left with the feeling that I had read three different books rolled into one. The material relating to the holocaust could have been incorporated into one standalone book, the story of Jack and his friends would have made a great vacation read all by itself, and the story of Jack and his family would have been a wonderful third book. Beach Music is a good thing, but maybe too much of a good thing. Anyway, I loved the story but wished the descriptions of food, marshes, cities, sunsets, sunrises, so forth and so on could have been shorter. At 800 pages, even a masterpiece can be laborious. No doubt though, Conroy should never be speed-read, just as Mozart should never be fast-played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read..............., April 14 2004
This review is from: Beach Music (Mass Market Paperback)
I almost put this book down when the first chapter became too descriptive but fortunately I did not! I laughed, I cried and I became totally immersed in the character's lives. I was so sorry when the book came to an end and I look forward to the next Pat Conroy novel.

Beach Music
Beach Music by Pat Conroy (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 1996)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01